Themata Review

karnivool: Themata
Release Date: Mar 14, 2005
Label: Independent
Genres: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal
Capturing a perfect blend of both melodic beauty and spine-bending rock, this album will appeal to anyone who desires a truly unique sound.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.3
 9.6
Themata Reviewed by: Mr.Awesome, on june 28, 2007

Sound: So I walk into my local CD shop, look at the sample CD rack and think, "Wow, nothing special here." One CD catches my eye, so I put it on and instantly I fall in love with this band. This band is by far one of the most original bands I've heard in a long time. They're heavy guitars and sick bass all come together to make on hell of an album. I can say with confidence that this band strongly shows what progressive metal is all about, compelling guitar riffs, intriguing lyrics that grab the attention of any have brained music fan, and drums that never fail to keep you entertained. // 9

Lyrics: I feel that the lyrics in "Themata" were overall pretty good for a relatively unkown band. in the title track "Themata", both the music and the lyrics compliment eachother so well, the bands timings and fluency with eachother is amazing. There's absolutely no choppy vocals, meaning that you get an easy flowing singing pattern with clear, strong vocals. But hell, this guy can scream like mad in some songs! And yet it all still fits in perfectly, all meshed together with incredible skill. // 8

Overall Impression: Karnivool is a band meant for fans of progressive rock/metal. Chances are, if you listen to nothing but hardcore metal, this isnt for you. However, for those of you that want a change from anything, get this CD, it's an amazing difference from all other bands I've heard in years. By far the best songs on this CD are "L1fel1ke" and "Themata". Both very loud, very enjoyable songs for anyone who loves a bit of complex guitar riffs and sick drumming. I love, absolutley love this cd. The guitars are mostly my favourite, and the abss is pretty nuts too. But, I have to say, I really do not like how on the cover, teh name is spelled weird. that's about all I don't like about it honestly. Besides maybe, the lack of interesting bass in a few songs. And, if these CD was stole I would kick the crap out of whoever stole it cause it's so damn hard to find! // 9

Themata Reviewed by: Feaksy, on november 04, 2008

Sound: I was first exposed to Karnivool when my brother bought me their first album called Persona. since then, Karnivool has blossomed to be one of the most unique and original sounding bands to ever come out of Australia, let alone Perth: the most secluded city in the world. coming from Perth myself I was incredibly proud to know that there is so much talent in my city. The first track 'Cote' leaves you drooling for more. beginning with a very interesting sounding intro, it goes into and verse which has a beginning comprising solely of bass harmonics. Even after only reaching that far I knew that this band was something special. You cannot help but wonder at the genius of Karnivool's guitarists. they manage to maintain an incredibly full sound in all their songs but hardly ever touch a power chord which is odd for a band in the metal genre. They also use a very large range of effects such a phase shifters and flangers. Their bassist never ceases to keep you interested with licks just plain fit. The drumming is also a big highlight. Most of the songs in the album have uncommon time signatures and the drummer maintains a very interesting beat with what he has. I found myself going back to songs just to listen to the drums alone. // 9

Lyrics: It is obvious to see that Ian Kenny (singer and front man) comes from a musical background. The lyrical content in every song is powerful enough to paint a picture but still leaves the listener with room to relate the words to him/herself. Throughout the album Kenny uses very subtle traces of word painting and ostinato which clearly outlines his musical education. As well as being and great lyricist, Ian Kenny's voice is just plain spectacular. His voice fits in perfectly with the instrumentation even with the high register that he has and an excessive use of falsetto. If you don't like his voice at first, be patient. I swear It'll grow on you. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I can say without a doubt that this is the album I have ever listened to. Please tell me any flaws that you would like to point out about the album because I can honestly say that I can't find a single one. The main reason I love this album so much is it's originality. If you're bored of listening to the same old metal core or progressive rock then this is definately the album for you. It lets you know that there is still plenty of new ideas for music out there and it is truly an inspiration. Stand out tracks in the album for me were 'Cote', 'Themata' and 'Roquefort'. 'Shutterspeed' is also a catchy song with a very original sounding solo. If this album were ever stolen I would definately hunt down the guy who took it from me... and then go buy another copy just for the sake of it. And I was serious: please post anything that you don't like about the album so I can hear other peoples' opinions. // 10

More Karnivool reviews rating latest review
+ Asymmetry 8.5 07/23/2013