Velociraptor! Review

kasabian: Velociraptor!
Released: Sep 6, 2011
Genre: Indie Rock, Space Rock, Experimental
Label: RCA, Columbia
"Velociraptor!" continues down the route of experimentation, to mixed effect.
 Lyrics: 6.5
 8.5
 7.5
 9.4
Velociraptor! Reviewed by: Bozjoarmstrong, on september 30, 2011

Sound: Kasabian's experimental and majestic third album "West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum" was always going to be a hard act to follow, it was an album that would change the band's career drastically. As such, "Velociraptor!" continues down the route of experimentation, to mixed effect. Strings and horns are used on occasion, maintaining the insane majesty of the previous album, but on "Acid Turkish Bath" in particular it does little to distract from the languid nature of the song which stretches past the 6-minute mark. More understated experimentation is to be found in synth-driven "I Hear Voices", whilst more straightforward guitar riffs, reminiscent of earlier efforts, drive the lead singles "Days Are Forgotten", "Switchblade Smiles" as well as the impressive "Re-Wired" and the title track. The best songs here are those that do sound as though they could have appeared on previous Kasabian albums, whereas the experimental ones relent the pace, rhythm and flow of the album to too great an extent. // 7

Lyrics: Lyrics have never been a particularly strong suit for Kasabian, in that they are rarely clever, witty, moving or inspired in any way. Having said that, any fan of Kasabian will be aware that they are not a band you enjoy for their lyrics. Sometimes though, the lyrics dip from average to really poor; "I see Lucy in the sky, telling me I'm high". This kind of lazy Beatles reference in "La Fee Verte" seems almost like an attempt to endear themselves to Oasis fans. "Neon Noon" is a more ambitious lyrical venture, but does not quite meet its deep, contemplative purpose. As well as this, lyrics sometimes cease to be present altogether; "la la la's" and repetition can be grating, particularly as most of the songs surpass 4 minutes. To this effect, Tom Meighan's voice lacks the versatility to consistently keep the lyrics engaging or even interesting; it is often difficult to maintain attention by the end of a track. Pizzorno's increasingly frequent voice does help to break this up, but it too struggles to bring anything new to the table. Something which will have been noted by listeners to the singles "Switchblade Smiles" and "Days Are Forgotten" is the presence of what sounds like primal screams and extended "aahs". This unorthodox inclusion is a high point in what is vocally and lyrically a generally unimpressive album. // 4

Overall Impression: "Velociraptor!" is album title that writes a cheque the album itself rarely seems in a position to cash. Only on the riff-ridden highlights do Kasabian really deliver the pace and aggression we expect here, whilst many other self-indulgent tracks simply last far longer than any listener wants them to. Nothing really feels like filler here, but roughly half of the tracks are instantly forgettable. Whilst I was a fan of their slower songs such as "Ladies And Gentlemen, Roll The Dice" and of course "Happiness" from their previous album, "Neon Noon", this album's laid-back closer exemplifies the self-indulgent, over-extended and ultimately boring "ballads" on this album. Nevertheless, "Days Are Forgotten", "Re-Wired" and "Switchblade Smiles" are well worth listening to, as they represent Kasabian doing what they do best; indie rock with an experimental twist. // 6

Velociraptor! Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 03, 2011

Sound: When the massive success of "West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum" hit Kasabian, even they knew it would be a hard act to follow. Happily, though, I am able to report Kasabian have pulled it off with "Velociraptor!", even if the results take a few listens to finally get. Of course, sonically, Kasabian have always been a band of many sounds, mixing rock'n'roll, electronica, hip-hop and psychedelia, among others. This album is no different, but feels a bit more straightforward compared to "West Ryder...". The band have also called their fourth a "jukebox" record, in which it is like turning on the radio and getting one good song after another. However, I doubt six minute long orchestral epics would appear on the radio much, even at all. // 9

Lyrics: Kasabian's lyrics have drawn a line straight down the middle of music: those who think Serge Pizzorno should just stick to playing guitar and those who take every word coming out of Tom Meighan's lips like he's a prophet. I find Pizzorno to be a good songwriter; he has the ability to write songs in different styles and moods in a breeze, and has come up with some of the UK's most treasured anthems (see: "Club Foot", "L.S.F.", and "Fire"). Here, his lyrics and Meighan's vocals have improved drastically, with "Let's Roll Just Like We Used To" being a highlight. And it's not just Meighan who sings to, with Pizzorno also providing prominent backing vocals and even singing a few tunes of his own (like "La Fee Verte"). His voice too has strengthened since the early days of Kasabian. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this album. It's nearly but not as good as their real game-changer, "West Ryder...", and I think the boys have hyped "Velociraptor!" a bit too much compared to their previous effort. Afterall, most people will dismiss this as a failure, instead of the deep, poetic, and - most importantly - rocking album. So: "Velociraptor!" - the album of the year? In my opinion yes, but it's "West Ryder..." that takes the decade. Download: - "Let's Roll Just Like We Used To" - "Days Are Forgotten" - "Velociraptor!" - "Re-Wired" - "Switchblade Smiles" // 10

More Kasabian reviews rating latest review
+ West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum 9.2 11/05/2010