MTV Unplugged Review

katy perry: MTV Unplugged
Released: Nov 17, 2009
Genre: Acoustic Rock
Label: Capitol
Britain's Katy Perry, a veritable princess of pop, has a new, cool release for audiences.
 7.1
 8.7
 5.4
review (1) 29 comments vote for this album:
MTV Unplugged Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on november 25, 2009

Sound: Katy Perry, a veritable princess of pop, has a new, cool release for audiences. The MTV Unplugged session that she taped on July 22, 2009 has been compiled into a CD/DVD set and released by Capitol Records. The album features a handful of her pop singles like I Kissed A Girl, Ur So Gay, Thinking Of You, Lost, and Waking Up In Vegas accompanied by acoustic stylized arrangements, plus the Fountains Of Wayne track Hackensack and Perry's never before released original tune Brick By Brick. The album gives audiences a new appreciation for Perry's vocal skills and talent to sing for acoustic elements, classic piano, orchestral strings, jazz horns, and country western flanged repertoires. The jazzy horns on Ur So Gay give the track a fresh, attractive sound, and the orchestral strings whirling sensually across Thinking Of You act as a floatation device for Perry's wrenching vocals. The country western flange in the guitar chord patterns for Waking Up In Vegas accentuate Perry's vocal punches, while the sparse guitar and vocal arrangement on Brick By Brick provide a gentle springboard for Perry's long vocal lines and the sowing of incremental lifts in her vocal rises. The set shines light on Perry's ability to adapt well to an acoustic set and still be able to keep the songs sounding just as catchy as they do in their original version. // 9

Lyrics: Perry's lyrics delve into exploring the emotional and physical aspects of having human urges from the provocative impulses of I Kissed A Girl to the tender versing of Thinking Of You. Whether she is being cheeky with I kissed a girl just to try it / I hope my boyfriend don't mind it / It felt so wrong, it felt so right / It don't mean I'm in love tonight It ain't no big deal, it's innocent or sensitive with When I'm with him I am thinking of you I wished that I was looking into your eyes, Perry displays a genuine curiosity for human behavior and an attraction to the unconventional. She explores human temptation and heartaches with obvious lust and sensitivity in her lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Perry shows flexibility in her singing being able to be as sensitive as Missy Higgins and as strong-willed and on guard as Evanescence's Amy Lee. Speaking about being multi-flavored, Perry demonstrates a burlesque quality in her vocal style one minute and the ethereal touch of an angel the next. The CD/DVD set will give audiences a new appreciation for this pop princess whose interview footage on the DVD portion of the compilation provides insight into what being a pop star means to her. The set is a must for Perry's fans and has the potential of catapulting Perry into the realm of iconic status. Check out clips of Kay Perry at MTV.com and www.palladia.tv. // 9

More Katy Perry reviews rating latest review