Prism Review

6.9
 3.3
reviews (2) pictures (1) 70 comments vote for this album:
Prism Featured review by: UG Team, on november 03, 2013

Sound: It's difficult and increasingly rare nowadays to tune into mainstream radio and not hear one of Katy Perry's many heavily rotated singles on the air. Her music has been implemented into nearly every aspect of our lives: television commercials, film soundtracks, and of course the almost consistent airtime. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why, either; the music of Katy Perry is heavily built around adult lyrical content, energetic electronic beats and a typically upbeat theme that when infused together could fit any dance floor. Although she did release a widely ignored debut album back in 2001, it wouldn't be until 2008 that her second studio effort would see the light of day, and did it ever. "One of the Boys" was a commercial success, bolstered by such hit singles as "I Kissed a Girl," "Hot n Cold," and "Waking Up in Vegas." This was the beginning of success for Katy Perry, who only achieved larger mainstream popularity with their third studio album, "Teenage Dream," which spawned a number of chart topping songs including "California Gurls," "Firework" and "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)". With her third studio album, Perry became the first female artist to have an album produce five number-one hits, the second overall behind Michael Jackson's "Bad." 2012 showed the re-release of "Teenage Dream," which included several bonus tracks including another number-one hit, "Part of Me." One year since her hit album's reissue, and Katy Perry is ready to reenter the music scene with her fourth studio album, titled "Prism." As far as her new album's sound goes, don't expect any dramatic revolutions in her songwriting. If anything, anticipate a less energetic performance from the pop artist. Songs such as the inspiring "Roar" show a quieter Katy Perry, who's not so much about partying all night as she is about standing up, finding her courage and recovering from a harsh breakup. "Unconditionally" doesn't bring anything new to the table, by either Katy Perry and mainstream pop rock standards. It is a typical emotion-induced song about always loving this one person unconditionally, which is an all-too-common theme in modern day pop music. // 6

Lyrics: Similar to the album's dramatic change in sound, Katy Perry changes her lyrical content and singing style as well on "Prism." While her previous efforts were themed around getting wasted in Las Vegas and one night stands, "Prism" appears to be entirely comprised of depressive themes, whether it be on lost loves or recovering from abuse. When you take Katy Perry and leave out the upbeat energy, what's left is an uninspired collection of songs which is difficult to even listen to. // 5

Overall Impression: With "Prism," listeners are subjected an entirely different, more serious side to Katy Perry than we are accustomed to hearing. Her upbeat energy was typically one of the few positive qualities to Perry's music, and has since been replaced with depressive lyrical themes and leaves very little to grasp upon. The majority of the music included on "Prism" is entirely forgettable, although songs such as "Roar" and "This Is How We Do" do have some memorable moments that established fans should be able to enjoy. // 6

- Lou Vickers (c) 2013

Prism Reviewed by: cristy♥twilight, on november 07, 2013

Sound: If you've always liked Katy's musical style, then you won't be disappointed with her latest release, "Prism." Keeping with the "Katy Perry style," tracks like "Walking on Air," "Birthday" and "International Smile" are all reminiscent of songs off her album "Teenage Dream." While tracks like "Dark Horse," "Legendary Lovers" and "Ghost" are a new side that show growth/change in the artist. Many of the tracks intros have somewhat of a "'80s" feel with the use of electronic keyboards. The movie "Napoleon Dynamite" comes to mind. Not really hearing a distinguished beat in the intro leaves the listener waiting for what the tone of the song will be - is this happy and fun or depressed and regretting? Overall, Katy knows what her fans like and gave them that, but she also added a new layer of growth and her creativity may find her with some new fans. // 8

Lyrics: Katy Perry can sing. She can belt out those notes with power and ease when needed and then make us feel her hurt with the softer notes and tones that reveal her pain. Going through a divorce and then finding love again has given Katy a lot of inspiration lyrically. Fans will be hurting right along with Katy, with lyrics like "Thought I wasn't enough, found I wasn't so tough, laying on the bathroom floor..." With its soft melody through the verses "By the Grace of God" gives listeners an insight of her pain through a difficult time and how she overcame it. The song "Roar" with it's strong beat, tells us she's not going to take it anymore. She now stands up for herself because she's a fighter. "It Takes Two" has a steady beat and shows that she doesn't put all the blame on her ex. She accepts her part of the breakdown that ended that relationship. Then Katy is falling in love again and not just seeing through rose colored glasses. The track "Unconditionally" tells us she only looks to the future - "All your insecurities, All the dirty laundry, Never made me blink one time..." While the songs "Double Rainbow" and "Legendary Lovers," leave no doubt in fans minds that she wants this relationship to go the distance. // 8

Overall Impression: Some might feel, "Katy hasn't grown as an artist..." because of the many "Teenage Dream" like tracks, while others will continue to enjoy her trademark style and appreciate her new creativity as well. Competing with artists like Miley Cyrus, Lady Gaga and Britney Spears, this album is right in the running. Katy has lost some of her edge, especially with what Miley Cyrus is doing these days, but it's almost like she doesn't need to do that stuff to get attention anymore. She's almost 29 years old now and has burned the wig. I think that shows much maturity. Everyone knows Lady Gaga will be out there looking crazy and they'll love her for it, but it's also nice to see an artist move on and not rely on all that craziness anymore. The hair, the make-up and the rubber dresses all got her noticed and out there. Now it's just Katy. There's a lot to appreciate with that honesty. Life experiences really carve this album from hurt, loss and not loving yourself enough into being strong, forgiving, accepting ones past, falling in love again and fighting for that love to last. I love the song "By the Grace of God" and her openness about her feelings at that difficult time. The song "Birthday" is fun and upbeat and makes me happy that she's so happy :) "Double Rainbow" just reminds me of the YouTube video of the guy amazed by the double rainbow! Lol! I don't really care for some of the song intros. The keyboard beats will have to grow on me. As I mentioned above, they remind me of the movie "Napoleon Dynamite." Watch it, you'll see what I mean. I'm disappointed that there are not any stand out acoustic guitar tracks. I was hoping maybe a bonus track would be. I hope she'll do some unplugged versions. As to the question "If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else?" I would definitely buy it again. There are enough stand out tracks that I love to make up for the ones that I don't love so much :) // 8

More Katy Perry reviews rating latest review