Perfect Symmetry Review

keane: Perfect Symmetry
Released: Oct 13, 2008
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Island
Perfect Symmetry is the third studio album by English rock band Keane, released on 13 October 2008 in the United Kingdom.
 6.2
 6.7
 5.6
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Perfect Symmetry Reviewed by: GothGirl666, on january 20, 2009

Sound: When I heard from my best friend that Keane was bringing out a new album, and then was played Spiralling, I thought, Oh No, what are Keane doing to their lovely, pure piano sound! They made themselves a name with Hopes and Fears, and I thought that they would ruin themselves with Perfect Symmetry's guitars and odd instrumentation. But, as usual, I was wrong, and Keane have risen to greater popularity than ever before. Having Jesse Quin join the band gave them some more room to play with tight bass riffs, and made their live show more credible, because they no longer have to rely on the Apple Macbook they have used in the past. The soaring melodies in 'Love Is The End' make tears drop from people's eyes, and although some may be thrown off by the handclapping, jingly 'Better Than This', overall, Keane are still Keane, and have created a whole new standard for themselves. // 7

Lyrics: The Lyrics from Perfect Symmetry, as a album, I find are to be about wanting a perfect perception, perfect world for themselves, but not being able to find it. The anti-religious lyrics in Perfect Symmetry (the song) have created some controversy and critism, but people will remember this album not for that, but for the new angle Tim Rice-Oxley took with the songs, and the overall sense of fun behind the lyrics. Tom Chaplin once again brought out his choir-boy style voice bringing the songs to life. But, in songs like 'Black Burning Heart', with the french middle eight, and Spiralling, with it's spoken word bridge, many fans (including myself) have been thrown off. Personally I find 'Black Burning Hearts' french murmur pretentious, which a new, and unwelcome scene in the band's music. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, the album will most probably sit amongst the like of X&Y (Coldplay), and although the album has raised many arguments and rumors of where the band will go from here, Perfect Symmetry has generally made a good impression. I love 'Love Is The End', with the beautiful melody, and strings, but on the other side of the spectrum, I find 'Better Than This' pretentious and irritating. Keane sure are a very versatile band, to make me cry and want to throw something at my stereo all within 11 songs. And, to answer the interesting question thrwon at me in the template, if Perfect Symmetry were stolen or lost, I would buy something else. In Fact, I think I'll go out now to the CD store - *leaves* // 7

More Keane reviews rating latest review
+ Under The Iron Sea 7.9 04/04/2007