Greatest Hits II Review

7.3
 7.5
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Greatest Hits II Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 22, 2009

Sound: Kenny Chesney is the beach king. When you think of him you think of beaches, cowboy hats, the Carribean, drinking, summer, and most importantly relaxing. This album delivers that. With the laid back guitar playing in some of his songs, the upbeat awesomeness of some others, that one-of-a-kind unmistakable voice, and many other things like Mac McAnally, Dave Matthews, and the Wailers (who suprisingly WEREN'T this album) you've got Kenny Chesney. He didn't destroy country music like some people say with Vol. 1. He and people before him like Garth Brooks, REVIVED country. I don't care what people say about country going pop. Does Young sound anything like Boom-Boom-Pow? Does Keith Urban's Kiss A Girl sound anything like Katy Perry's I Kissed A Girl. No. And it will stay that way. It's still country that Kenny brings to the stage, just more upbeat country. Old country is still good, but new country is what this generation wants to hear. And this album is a collection of the last 10 years of it. Look where Kenny is now. Top seller of the decade. // 7

Lyrics: Kenny doesn't write most of his songs. The only song he completely wrote by himself is Beer In Mexico, which isn't the hardest song to write, but is still pretty good. He also co-wrote I'm Alive, his latest release, which is a good written song, but doesn't go with with the music. The lyrics say rejoice in what you have, but the music is sad. Down The Road is written by Mac McAnally, one of the top writers in country, and shows how good a writer he is. Other songs are pretty good written, but not the best. I give it a 5. And once you add in Kenny's relaxing, but not as good live voice, Mac McAnally's unimpressing but good voice, and Uncle Kracker's and Dave Matthews rough but smooth voices, you get an overall 7. // 7

Overall Impression: This album celebrates summer, which is what Kenny has sang about since after the release of Vol. 1. Before Vol. 1 he was more backwoods country than beachy (I can't believe I typed that). Now he has his own style. Around 2000 he began to break through as a leader, and since then has led ticket sales in all genres of music, and this album is a celebration of that. I think that still, because of fame, he is growning more commericial. Still though, this album is really satisfying, and I give it a 8. Sincerely, Guitarslinger // 8

More Kenny Chesney reviews rating latest review