Devil Without A Cause Review

kid rock: Devil Without A Cause
Released: Aug 18, 1998
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hip-Hop, Hard Rock, Rap-Metal, Rap-Rock, Heavy Metal, Hardcore Rap
It's fitting that the Kid Rock revival got started when the Beastie Boys featured him in their Grand Royal magazine and not because the kid from Detroit shares their skin tone.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.6
 8.7
 8.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Devil Without A Cause Reviewed by: Spl!nTeRgu!tAr, on april 06, 2005

Sound: This is Kid Rock's 3rd and best CD (in my opinion), and hes cocky and funny as ever in this hard-rocking, soul jumping CD. The CD is the sterotype Kid Rock (Girls, Booze, And Sex), but in this album he seems to have taken his time, for every song is very well crafted to make it unique from any other song. Most of the cd is straight up rock like Bawitdaba and Fist Of Rage, with a couple slow songs such as Black Chick, White Guy and Only God Knows Why, and even some rap metal - F--ck Off ft. Eminem. I like the sound Kid displays on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to me are straight up funny. Lines like "To all you bastards in the IRS/For the crooked cops and there cluttered desks(Bawaitdaba)" make this album. "Welcome To The Party" is definatly a subwoofer-worthy song, and "Only God Knows Why" is full of heart felt lyrics and to me is the 2nd best slow song Kid Rock has (besides "Abortion" - a track on History of Rock that was unreleased proir to the album). And last but not least, Cowboy is the song to listen to if you're in a good mood. Kid Rock's voice goes right along with the music and even though he isn't the most talented singer out there - he delivers and blows the standards away. // 10

Overall Impression: Devil Without A Cause is definatly the album of 1998. Songs like Bawitaba, Cowboy, Roving Gangster, Only God Knows Why, F--k Off, and Black Chick-White Guy make the CD worth while. I like the fact that Kid Rock cooled it a tiny bit-but by no means is he calm like in the self titled album. Although theres no songs like "Balls In Your Mouth," Kid Rock definatly brings it to ya on a silver platter. // 10

Devil Without A Cause Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on october 05, 2006

Sound: Kid Rock is one of the most infamous and overlooked artists of all time. Much other white artists out of Detroit such as ICP, people have heard one song by him and judged immediately. If you ask anyone nowadays to name a song by Kid Rock they would either say "Cowboy" or "Bawitdaba." This proves most people haven't really looked into the talent of this performer. Kid Rock never got the respect that he deserves, and where I live, he is pretty much treated like crap. I am the one who stands up for him when people say "Kid Rock is gay." This is Kid Rock's first CD that actually got some copies sold. Kid was way ahead of his time, making this. It sounds like something like RUN DMC because he chose to mix rap with metal and rock with hip hop. Doing so, he made a great CD that is still overlooked today. As any fan can probably see, Kid Rock has got more mature by every album until eventually, instead of one ballad like "Only God Knows Why" he has a whole CD full of them. I really think every song on this CD was fantastic. // 8

Lyrics: I loved this guys lyrics. Joe C's too. My favorite lyric on this album was on the title track and it was when Joe C spit the line "I'm a hoe call me sick, three foot nine with a ten foot dick." Then some of Kid Rock's lyrics were a little obscure too. The chorus to "Bawitdaba" still boggles my mind to this day. Kid Rock's best lyrics were on this album, I must say. As far singing goes, Kid Rock is not the best. His little rants or raps he does fits with his music though, that's all that matters. // 7

Overall Impression: With these points in mind, this is still a thoroughly enjoyable album. As party albums go, this is excellent. Kid Rock doesn't pretend to be anything greater than he is, and I find that refreshing. Overall, he is a solid producer, a pretty good singer when he wants to be, and his rap lyrics, though certainly not on par with the great lyricists of Hip Hop, do put a smile on my face. I still listen to this when I want to to turn my brain off and chill out after a long day. If you think of Devil Without a Cause in those terms, you will understand its merits. // 7

More Kid Rock reviews rating latest review