Rock N Roll Jesus Review

kid rock: Rock N Roll Jesus
Release Date: Oct 9, 2007
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Rap-Rock, Hard Rock, Southern Rock, Rap-Metal
After 22 million records sold in the US and a three year hiatus, Kid Rock is back with the brand new album 'Rock N Roll Jesus'.
 7.7
 8.2
Rock N Roll Jesus Reviewed by: rebreh, on october 09, 2007

Sound: Well Kid Rock calls this album Rock N Roll Jesus. But it should be called Country Jesus. Because that is what you get. Overall just a pop country album. A lot of gospel in the background and plenty of acoustics. But Kid Rock has been spending to much time with Hank Williams Jr. // 6

Lyrics: Overall his lyrics are actualy better and tell of more stories rather than simple ryme schemes implied. Singing is great. Songwriting is great. And range is incredible. But muscianship is not there. And there is barly any rock. Here are all the songs detailes. 01. Rock N Roll Jesus - from past albums Kid Rocks first track was always one of the best with songs like bawitidaba, trucker anthem, and american badass opening the album up. Well this track is just boring. It is a blues country song that should have been more of a rock song. 02. Amen - this a acoustic guitar song(with a quick solo). And actualy one of the best songs kid Rock ever wrote. I mean I would rank it up there with someother songs at there. Basicly though this another country song. Singin is pretty good on this song. 03. All Summer Long - so far another, well you guesed another country song. This song just seems like the same thing he just did in rock and roll Jesus. It sound a lot though like Lynyrd Skynyrd. 04. Roll On - by now being as big of fan of Devil without a cause I was dissopointed this being another slow song. Like the rest of the other songs it still implies the gospel. But great singing and lyrics. This is like an old jazz song with a trumpet in it. Brings you back to the '20s mixed with current '20s. 05. So Hott - this is the first single off the album and the first rock song. It is a acdc styled playin with simple lyrics. And Kid Rock back to normal. But this song just doesn't satisfy like his other rock songs. As wierd as it is hearing this song makes me apreciate his country songs on here. Overall a medicore song. 06. Sugar - as quick as So Hott came we were back to country. Or so it seems. As the country ends I begin head bagin. It follows the same formula that he did in cocky. Even sounds like some old AC/DC. Pretty good song though. 07. When You Love Someone - I am not realy going to explain this song because it sounds like all the other country songs. 08. New Orleans - so this song is one of the worst songs on the album. Kid Rock sounds like a hick. And everything on this track is just boring. 09. Don't Tell Tell Me You Me - the title is a good tounge twister. Sounds to much like mother f--ker quite like me. Then jumps into another Lynyrd Skynyrd type song. 10. Blue Jeans And A Rosary - this album just gets more and more boring. I am personly getting sick of these country songs now. 11. Half Your Age - hearing this song just reminds you how boring it is again. Not a good song to go out on. Lyrics aint good. Musicianship is boring. // 7

Overall Impression: Well Kid Rock has changed a lot. Devil is still way better. The best songs from the album are amen and sugar. I love the fact that Kid Rock is trying something different. But I hate that it completly ruins the idea of what he used to be. If this album was stolen I would let them have it and go buy something else. // 6

Rock N Roll Jesus Reviewed by: raymanbaracuda, on october 15, 2007

Sound: Rock N Roll Jesus starts off with the title track, something never done before on a Kid Rock album. The song kicks off the album well though with the loud drums and the hard rocking guitar riff with the wah-wah driving lead. Like previous efforts released after the History of Rock, Kid Rock continues to abandone and step away from the rap genre and focus more on the rock n roll and country side. When I say country, I don't mean that the songs on the album are pure country per se but have a noticeable country influence such as the sound of a steel guitar during a hard rocking metal riff. Rock N Roll Jesus was recording over a 4 year period in Kid Rock's studio in Detroit and also in Nashville. Rock got help from Rob Cavallo and Rick Rubin in the production department. // 9

Lyrics: From past efforts, although I think any Kid Rock album, whether it be Grits Sandwiches For Breakfast, The Polyfuze Method, Early Mornin' Stoned Pimp or Devil Without A Cause are great, Kid Rock notes that writing rap lyrics to him are easy and with Rock N Roll Jesus he grows leaps and bounds as far as a songwriter goes. Rock's lyrics focus on more than just sex and drugs (although there's still some references). It's also noticeable that Kid Rock doesn't say his name one time throughout the album. Rock's voice is stronger than ever on this outing, displaying his vocal range on many of the tracks. // 9

Overall Impression: It's difficult to compare any Kid Rock CD to another since everyone of them really has It's own different style. Grits, focusing on the old school hip-hop, The Polyfuze Method with the acid-rap style sampling, Early Mornin' Stoned Pimp with the old school gangsta raps & now up to Rock N Roll Jesus with It's rock/country/gospel/rap influences. Does this CD stack up to earlier releases? As a whole, I think yes. Would everybody agree with me? I doubt anybody would say Rock N Roll Jesus is as good as/better than Devil Without A Cause but there's not many albums in general that are, period. Tracks like Rock N Roll Jesus, Roll On, Sugar, So Hott, Don't Tell Me you Love Me & Blue Jeans and a Rosary are really the tracks that stood out to me and just about each song has a different style. My only suggestion would be to add the Best Buy only track, Guilty, co-written by Twisted Brown Trucker DJ Paradime, be placed on every version of the CD since It's one of the most enjoyable tracks. If this CD were stolen I'd go buy another one and I would make sure it was the Best Buy version because It's only $7.99 and you get the two bonus tracks; Guilty & Jackson, Mississippi (Live) or I'd just look at this Kid Rock collection, www.myspace.com/mykidrockcollection. // 9

More Kid Rock reviews rating latest review