Hot Fuss Review

artist: killers date: 08/26/2008 category: compact discs
killers: Hot Fuss
Released: June 15, 2004
Genre: Rock
Hot Fuss features eleven nuggets of reel-you-in storytelling genius and musical nectar.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.3
 8.6
Hot Fuss Reviewed by: feeltherush, on june 24, 2004

Sound: The Killers' music is very retro, and is a direct result of both being heavily influenced by 80s synth and living in Las Vegas. "Hot Fuss" does a good job of using synth enough to make the music interesting and different but not so much that it turns into some crappy 80s synth-pop band. The guitar work is also excellent, providing both crunching, aggressive riffs on tracks like "Andy, You're A Star", and catchy melodies on "Mr. Brightside" and others. The overall sound, unlike the lyrics, is never dark or depressing, usually upbeat and feel-good, and nothing that will make you want to kill yourself. Almost every song on the disc worth listening to over and over again - almost. The last third of the CD leaves much to be desired; tracks like "Believe Me Natalie" and the disc's closer "Everything Will Be Alright" are listenable at best, and it's unfortunate that these would be so much better if they weren't so drawn-out (both are over five minutes long, and I realize that that alone doesn't mean they're bad, but their quality isn't worth it). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of "Hot Fuss" are all over the place in a lot of ways, but they do manage to stay consistently good or at least, not so bad that one would notice it. The lyrics range from dark to feel-good. There are at least two songs on the CD that deal with murdering one's girlfriend "Jenny Was A Friend of Mine" ("She couldn't scream as I held her close/ I swore I'd never let her go") and "Midnight Show" ("Oh crashing time can't hide a guilty girl / ... / I took my baby's breath beneath the chandelier"). Then there's the brighter songs, like the upbeat "On Top" and the quasi-inspirational "All These Things That I've Done". Somewhere in the middle is the CD's best track lyrically, and, by the way, musically, "Mr. Brightside", a brilliant song about jealousy (and, unlike a few others on the album, doesn't involve murder) that everyone will get something different out of. Other than that, the lyrics are pretty solid and singer Brandon Flowers does a good job of crooning them out, but not much to think about and certainly nothing life-changing. // 8

Overall Impression: There's not much else like this album out there today, so in that sense it is very refreshing and definitely something different in a good way. I'm confident that anyone who buys this CD will be very satisfied, and it is well worth the price. Excellent songs like "Mr. Brightside" (one of the best of the year) and "Andy You're A Star" more than make up for the two or three that seem like nothing more than filler. The Killers are a unique, talented band, and "Hot Fuss" showcases that. // 10

Hot Fuss Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2005

Sound: The sound is just awesome, it pretty much renders me speechlesss. The intro for Mr. Brightside is so unique in sound and fingering that I had trouble playing it, of course I'm not the most skilled person in the world. All around greatness! // 10

Lyrics: Singer skills? The best I've ever heard. The only reason I bought this album was because a friend of mine had it, and I liked the cover, but the lyrics flow gracefully together like the words of a poet. Sniff beautiful. And yet there is Mr. Brightside that pretty much repeats itself over and over again untill youre tired of it. So, that punches itself in the gut. // 8

Overall Impression: The most impressive song from this album is probably Smile Like You Mean It. In comparison to other albums, this is everything that you ever need. Love? Everything! What do I haste about this? Absolutely nothing. If stolen, I would murder the person who took it, then buy two more copies! // 10

Hot Fuss Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2005

Sound: I like hard driving music, like SOAD, RATM, early POD, and early Metallica etc. When I purchased this album, it brought me to appreciate the more mellow music out there. I've never heard this style of music before, but it f--kin' rocks. The synthesisers/keyboards and guitar flow naturally like they were made for eachother. And the bass I think, takes control of the song. Just listen to "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine." Brilliant. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good. Most of them are brought to you in a way that there is a person involved; like a friend of the vocalist. Whatever his inspiration the lyrics and his voice find a quenching harmony together that makes this album awesome to listen to over and over and over. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has got to be one of my favorite ever. You know, there are some albums that you appreciate more than others, and this is one of these albums the most impressionalble songs on the album are well, to make a long story short, all of them, except "Everything Will Be All Right," that song is not very good. // 8

Hot Fuss Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2006

Sound: The Killers have a great sounding album where they use nice sound effects but they don't overuse them like an '80s pop band, you can still hear the guitars and drums well, and on the subject of guitar and drums, they sound amazing with great riffs and solos. The great sounding songs are well all of them but the best are jenny was a friend of mine, Mr. Brightside, all these things that I've done, andy your a star and glamarous indie rock and roll. You just cant help yourself singing along even if you're on a bus or in public they are such great songs. // 10

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics are very good, and they tell a story in each song, they are very well constructed and put together in riffs and I think the lead singer has a perfect voice for this kind of music. // 9

Overall Impression: This is possibly one of the greatest sounding new bands at the moment and I think that they are very very very under rated. Compared to most of the depressing shouting rock that is out at the moment I think the killers are there to liven you up and you will feel great if you listen to alternate songs from Hot fuss, and the Kaiser Chiefs album emplyment. If my album was lost or stolen I'd buy 2 more for if someone stole it again or I lost it again I would have a spare one. My only bad point about this album is maybe the last few songs which seem as though they were doing a "half assed" job, however they still sound good. // 10

Hot Fuss Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2005

Sound: Where as Hot Fuss had sven good songs and a bunch of fillers, the limited edition delivers with some of the best music on the album. Brandon Flowers' vocals are powerful, especially on songs like All These Things That I've Done, Andy Your a Star, and Mr. Brightside (still the best song on the album, and the best song of 2005). The guitars sound almost otherworldly, like in Under The Gun and Mr. Brightside, and the bass, well, it is absolutely amazing (more on that below). Brandon Flowers' is an amazing synth player, and Vannucci sounds like a drum machine. // 9

Lyrics: Brandon Flowers is a great singer, and I only cringed on a section of The Ballad of Michael Valentine where he does a falsetto. The lyrics are great on most of the album, and though a lot of people don't like Everything Will Be All Right, this song is one of the lyrically best on the album. However, lackluster lyrics on On Top, Change Your Mind, Believe Me Natalie and yes, Glamourous Indie Rock & Roll do create some rusty spots on the otherwise beautiful album. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, The Killers are much better than The Bravery and Interpol combined, especially with Brandon Flowers on vocals. Jenny Was A Freind Of Mine has great synth, lyrics, and that amazing bass. Mr. Brightside is a punk psychodrama with a great bass line and cool guitar and drum part. 2nd best vocals on album. Smile Like You Mean It is just a fun song, with some great harmonies and an addictive synth melody. Gaurenteed to be stuck in your head untill next year. Somebody Told Me has some more great bass and thats about it. All These Things That I've Done is a fun song, full of hope. The Choir that comes in always makes me wasnt to sing along at the top of my lungs. Poignant lyrics. Andy Your A Star has the best vocals on the album, for a song about a stalker. The Choir comes back and adds to the sadness of the song. Everything Will Be All Right has great lyrics. The Ballad Of Michael Valentine is fun, and despite the falsetto in the chorus, has great vocals. Under The Gun is just a fun, depressing song. The lyrics are nice and the guitar is addictive. I love just about everything on this album, and the only things I hate are above somewhere. If it were lost, I would cry, and if it were stolen, I'd find the bugger who done it and beat him up. I would buy it again if there was no hope of getting it any other way, however. // 9

Hot Fuss Reviewed by: PJamMan6, on january 23, 2006

Sound: The Killers are a wonderful band who work extremely well together in this album as we can tell from all the released singles. Their songs are great and they have many levels of brilliance in all songs on the album. The combination of the well produced music and the publicity brought on by the band has been all it takes for the band. Most of the publicity is due to many websites and much interest in Brandon Flowers, vocalist, whose looks are quite a turn on for many chicks. Also his fashion sense, sense of humour and many rivalries are also quite public. Firstly when Brandon has rivaled The Bravery who are basically rip off Killers and also when Brandon wore a pink leather blazer to a gig. The Killers are on a great leaping pad for their future. I hope its a long one for them. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are great and to me are very funny. The combination of lyrics and Brandon Flowers are wonderful and the lyrics especially in the released singles are very intruging. I enjoy listening to the wa ho's in On Top and Midnight Show's lyrics because they are very enjoyable. I especially like chorus to Mr Brightside which are great, but make not much sense to me. Anyone who knows please email me and explain! Overall great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the Killers' 1st album and it sets the bar high for the Killer's next albums which will I am sure live up to the standard. This is due to the combination of wonderful music produced by the Vegas boys, publicity, rumours (which will not ruin Brandons whole life) rivalries and fashion senses which are on the rise. I am sure the Killers are getting bigger and better. So I say bring on the next few albums. // 10

Hot Fuss Reviewed by: ac_indie, on february 27, 2006

Sound: The sound of The Killers is very refreshing. It mixes modern rock to '80s-style synth that will get anyone hooked on listening. The beats and sounds are very unique from one another that's why you wouldn't get tired of listening to the songs over and over. Even if you've heard each track like, 50 times. Their style is different (and I mean that in a good way) that's why I really liked this album. Plus, Brandon Flower's voice is just perfect for the exceptional sound of the band. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this CD, in my opinion, are very heartfelt. I don't mean heartfelt as in it'll make you cry and the songs will inspire you to lead a new life but when you listen to the lyrics, you more or less get to know what the composer (aka Brandon Flowers) is going through. For example, the song "Mr. Brightside" tells of a jealous mind and the lyrics (I just can't look/It's killing me) perfectly convey it. The song "Andy, You're A Star tells in all honesty how Brandon admired a high school classmate. Of course they wouldn't be called "The Killers" if murder wasn't involved (actually their name doesn't have anything to do with actually killing someone. They just thought the name was cool). The songs "Jenny was..." and "Midnight Show" perfectly captures a jealous murder. Ok, don't get me wrong. Not all of their songs are gloomy and dark. There are also some songs which are very upbeat and well uhmmdanceable (I guess). The song "Somebody Told Me," one of their most famous songs, has a very catchy tune and laughable lyrics (Somebody told me/You had a boyfriend/Who looked like a girlfriend). Another song "On Top" is about, well, basically being on top. The lyrics to the song are very feel-good and will make you smile. Overall, the lyrics are good and trust me, you will sing to everyone or their songs in no time. // 9

Overall Impression: The Killer's debut album is nothing like I've ever heard before. These days all you hear are the basic guitar, bass, drums trio but the synth effect of the band gives its sound a boost from all the others. The variation between the tracks means that you'll never get tired of hearing the whole CD. The sound and the lyrics are very distinct and it will keep you hooked on the band itself. Truly The Killers are not like any other rock band so the CD is well worth the money you spend on it. As I said, The Killers show a lot of variety and that is what I think a person needs. // 10

Hot Fuss Reviewed by: Daniel Pearce, on november 06, 2006

Sound: Well I find this quite an electronic album meaning with keyboards and things, although it comes up as alternative if you import it into your itunes. It starts off upbeat with the song 'Jenny was a friend of mine' with somewhat perculair sounds right at the start. Just from this first song you can tell why I said this is an electronic album. Then it's a nice 'high-fretted' begining. It's a sortov like a destiny song from the sound but the lyrics are probably something completely different. The song still keeps the upbeat tempo as from the last song. 'Smile Like You Mean It' has some great peices of drumming. He sounds like some devil telling children what to do (in the video he turns to a boy and a girl). Some nice chord combinations and the only three note tune that keeps going on throughout the song makes the song all the more spooky. 'Somebody Told Me' is a bit like your mom saying: "A little bird told me." Bit of a weird clowny song lol. 'All These Things I've Done' is in two parts, the intro is slow. And 'One More Sun' is such a good line. Then starts and sounds like your in a western. The bass goes well with it. Quite a joyful song and so they played this at Live 8, and out of all their great hits they happen to chose that song. I think many would agree it's not their best. 'Andy, You're A Star' is probably the worst track on the album, gets a little annoying, "heysahrar, heysharar". Sorry to all those Andys out there but this song fails to impress me. Theirs no need for the choir really. Now then, 'On Top'. Some people say it's the best track on the album but some don't agree. Lyrics are well written. It sounds kool, almost as if they all went away and made up a little part of a song and then the band came together and put the parts togeher aswell and created this. And by the way I've tabbed this, the intro (feel free to rate it). 'Glamorous Indie Rock And Roll' is a heartworming song that has some kool strokes of the guitar. Vocals are tremendous, and the bass fits in. And surprisingly it is a glamorous indie rock and roll song. Sounds as if he's telling the whole world with those lyrics. One of the best songs. The last three songs arn't really attached much with all the other songs. 'Believe Me Natalie' is an okay song but lacks a good chorus. Pacey 'Midnight Show' is fast and straight at you. And finally 'Everything Will Be Alright' somehow sounds christmasy with the kind of bell sounds. A distinctive voice for the chorus. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are quite powerful and meaning alot. It's always interesting to look up lyrics but the Killers lyrics are fairly unique. There's not much repeating of phrases in choruses ans some artists or bands tend to do. The span of vocabulary is good. The lyrics, even though I said they were unique remind me of The Stroke's words used aswell. A percific song being: 'The End Has No End'. Some songs of The Killers are rock and some are slow pop which is nice to have a different variety of things put into one. And the changes in songs are so good. The whole band sounds good together. The lyrics don't stand out more than any of the instruments' tunes. Lyrics of them remind me of Keane like being on the basis of very meaningful words put together in a song. The choice of song names stand out alot. You can compare tem to a few bands with differences and simularities with their lyrics with other bands but really, there arn't really many other lyrics like it. // 10

Overall Impression: The Killers is prity much an obvious name for a gang name and maybe also for a band name it's not as well chosen-a name as say Arctic Monkeys. The most impressive songs are Mr. Brightside, Smile like you mean it, All these things I've done and last but not least: On top. I love the differences between the songs, also in them. Drumming I have to say is just brilliant. There arn't any solos I don't think really, it's good to see what they could pull ou the hat if they did pull a solo off in one or two of their songs. The keyboard and computerized sounds are so kool. I don't really like how straight at you the lyrics are and you get a bit tired of the man's voice (Brandon Flowers) sometimes if you listen to the album a couple of times in a day. The sure do have talent (unlike some) and have created a spectacular album, Kaiser Cheifs' album came out at around the same time but they couldn't grow up to selling music like this. A must buy, again, even if it was stolen I'd get it cheap off HMV. // 10

Hot Fuss Reviewed by: Big_4, on august 26, 2008

Sound: Hot Fuss sounds like nothing heard in quite a long time. It recalls the panicky, paraniod rock of the late 70s due to the driving bass and drums. The album is rather synth heavy, but this techno feel just adds to the already authentic post punk sound. To me, Hot Fuss sounds like nothing ever heard by anyone until now. There are traces of New Order, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, and The Cars all molded into something fantastic and brand new. // 9

Lyrics: Lead Singer Brandon Flowers is not satisfied. The chick he's interested in has a boy friend who looks like a girlfriend ("Somebody Told Me"). He's choking on her alibi's ("Mr. Brightside"). And he's lost a dear friend ("Jenny Was a Friend Of Mine"). His lyrics are raw and passionate, and the boy can sing. Certain glimmers of hope ("Everything Will Be Alright" and "Change Your Mind") stir up images of young men and women trying to make their way through life and enjoy the ride as much as they can. The album is an emotional rollercoaster thanks to Mr. Flowers. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, The Kilelrs masterpiece is the album they released after this one; Sam's Town. Yet for the mainstream, Hot Fuss has been their mopst impressive. The super smash hit "Mr. Brightside" was easily one of the biggest songs of the year. My only complaint is that the album falters by the end. The last three songs tend to just take up space, but "Mr. Brightside" "All These Things That I've Done" and "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine" are three of best songs I've ever heard. "All These Things That I've Done" will stand the test of time and be remembered as the bands true masterpiece. // 8

More Killers reviews rating latest review
+ Battle Born 7.4 09/18/2012