Sam's Town Review

killers: Sam's Town
Release Date: Oct 3, 2006
Label: Island
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock
Every time it tries to get real, it only winds up sounding fake, which means it's the quintessential Vegas rock album from the quintessential Vegas rock band.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.7
 8.3
Sam's Town Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2006

Sound: When I first played the album I knew instantly that The Killers sound has changed since the '80s pop synthesisers to a more sophisticated sounding style with more instruments than effects. This style really works well for the band and even on the CD cover they have changed their look to Cowboy's with moustaches instead of the indie pop/rock with Brandon Flower wearing eye liner. The guitar playing is amazing in the album and there are some really good riffs and great songs including; Sam's Town, When You Were Young, Bling, Read My Mind and Uncle Jonny. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well constructed and seem to be very well produced, maybe over produced even but they are all down to Earth and Brandon Flower's voice sounds very good. The lyrics fit the music style perfectly and Brandon Flower uses a wider range of vocals in this album than hot fuss and he is still good. // 9

Overall Impression: The Killers has to be one of the best indie rock bands out there at the moment, this has to be one of the best albums I've heard. Better than hot fuss? Definitely. All the songs sound good apart from the bonus track which was a bit iffy. There are about 5 or 6 songs that could be released as excellent singles and 3 or 4 that could be released as good singles. I am glad that the killers have grown up from the almost '80s pop style to the new Indie rock sound, I really did like Hot Fuss I thought that it was amazing but I think that Sam's town is better. I've already made a spare copy of the disc and put it on my iPod in case I lose the original CD. // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2006

Sound: The Killers are back with their sophmore album, "Sam's Town". Their sound has matured a lot. There is a lot more complexity in the music, with more of an epic feel to most of the songs. Many of them seem too explode right out of your speakers! The Killers have stepped away from the pop-y sound of "Hot Fuss" to create what feels like the soundtrack to a western movie. The synth riffs are still there, but more layered and blended which, in my opinion, is a big improvement. "Hot Fuss" was just too pop for me, but "Sam's Town" brings a big, epic sound very effectively. // 9

Lyrics: Brandon Flowers has grown vocally in that there is more range among songs. A lot of the songs on "Hot Fuss" had very similar vocal tone which was a bit bothersome, but the vocals on "Sam's Town" are as epic and multitonal as the music. Flowers starts off very low on "For Reason's Unknown" and grows to an impressive height for the explosion of chorus. A lot of the lyrics are somewhat cliche, but aren't most westerns cliche anyway? However cliche they are, the lyrics fit very well with the overall feel of the album. // 10

Overall Impression: "Sam's Town" is going to be my favorite CD for a while. There is diversity among each track that "Hot Fuss" lacked. For me, their first album had only two memorable songs: "All These Things That I've Done" and "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine". Their new release offers much, much more. My favorites include "Sam's Town", "When You Were Young", "For Reason's Unknown", "Uncle Johnny", "Bones", and "This River Is Wild". If this CD were stolen, I would immediately buy it again, especially while it's on sale at Circuit City for $8.99. // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: greendayperson, on october 11, 2006

Sound: I really like the sound here. Right off the bat you can tell that they have changed their sound from their previous album, Hot Fuss. They kind of sound like a mixture of Springsteen and Tom Petty, and this is a good thing because it suits them really well. This is a whole new side of the Killers that we haven't seen before, and it is less poppy than the first album, except the song Bones, and I prefer this sound to their old one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of most of the song are very good lyrics. They tell a story andhave meaning, unlike a lot of the songs out there today. Also Brandon Flowers singing skills have really improved since their last album. Hot Fuss was for the most part monotonal, while in this album he uses his voice a lot more. This is a change for the better and a step in the right direction for the band. // 10

Overall Impression: I really do like this album, although I would have to say that the songs had to grow on me. The first time I listened to them I thought they weren't all too great. Then I heard the songs a second time and just fell in love with them. My favorites would have to be "Sam's Town", "Enterlude/When You Were Young", "For Reasons Unknown", "Bones","This River Is Wild", "Why Do I Keep Counting?", and "Exitlude", which, as you can see, is the majority of the songs. I really like theuse of the keyboard in these songs more than in their previous ones, especially in "For Reasons Unknown". If I lost this cd, I would definitely buy it again. Also I would recommend getting it at Best Buy because it comes with two extra tracks when youbuy it there, and it's only about $10. // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: DanSOADLarrikin, on november 13, 2006

Sound: Most bands who have an excellent debut album struggle when it comes to making a second one, Razorlight managed, Kasabian managed and now so have the killers with the synth indie-rock soundings of Sam's Town. When I first listened to this it made me think; the killers themselves have had a makeover and now so has their music. Gone are the days of a smooth-faced Brandon Flowers whining in a high-pitched voice. Now he's a moustachioed, deep-voiced singer who occasionallly whines. There are still essecnes of Hot Fuss' high synthesised parts, but they sound great combined with guitar and bass. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this song have a more truthful feel to them than "Mr Brightside" or "Somebody told me". The song: Uncle Johnny was written by Brandon about his uncle (No prizes if you guess his name), and is started with a guitar riff changing pitches for roughly 30 seconds then Mr Flowers singing;"When everybody else refrained, my Uncle Johnny did cocaine". This made me laugh to myself when I first heard it for the sheer randomness, but then it goes on to be a pleasure-inducing song. The albums lyrics have a story-like structure and have obviously been pleased the band with their outcomes. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to Hot Fuss, Sam's Town is it's older more experienced brother with songs that sound different to each other and have stories behind them. My favourite song would have to be the opener Sam's Town for it's brilliant song structure starting with a drum roll, then some synth, guitar+bass then Brandon starting with "Nobody ever had a dream round here but I don't really mind that it's starting to get to me/Nobody ever pulled the seams round here but I don't really mind that it's starting to get to me". The only downside with Sam's town is 'Bones', their soon-to-be new single which is really a marmite song; you either love it or you hate it. If Sam's town was stolen from me first I'd obviously try to find out who did it, if I found them I'd knock the crap out of them and if they got rid of the album I would happily buy it again. // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: ledzeppelin13, on december 09, 2006

Sound: Okay, first off I'd like to say when I got this album, I was very disappointed, but I learned you have to let this one grow on you. The more I listen to this CD now the more I love it. From the beginning "Sam's Town" to "Exitlude" there all amazing (the only iffy is maybe "My List"). The sound since Hot Fuss has changed considerably, but for the good. With what I would say as better lyrics, and better riffs. Also I think it's comical that Ronnie dresses up as Earl Hickey, nice touch. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Flowers according to myself has an amazing voice, on song likes "Read My Mind" and "Bling (Confession Of A King)" it shines through. The lyrics throughout the album are consistent and all amazing in one way or another. I love the part in "Bling" where brandon sings "Higher and higher, we're gonna take it down to the wire". // 10

Overall Impression: This album is 10 times better then Hot Fuss. While the whole album is aazing the songs that really shine through are "Read My Mind", "Uncle Jonny", "This River Is Wild", "When You Were Young", and "Sam's Town". This at the moment is my favorite album and would recommend it to anyone that doesn't mind listening to something different. Hope there will be many more Killers album like this one to come! // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: The-Red-Sky, on january 04, 2007

Sound: I have to say, I wasn't really expecting this album to be that good when I had bought it. But I enjoyed the first two singles (When You Were Young and Bones) enough to want it. I have to say this is the first album I had bought in a while that I could listen to from start to finish and not dislike any songs. Each song is very distinctly unique and memorable on their own. I really like how they vary each song and have a bunch of different moods set throughout the album. There are many catchy hooks that are made so well that the album can be universally enjoyed. Anyone from a heavy-metal fan to a pop-culture fanatic can find at least one song on the album they like. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have definately gotten more meaningful since Hot Fuss. They went from singing about lesbian affairs (Somebody Told Me) to dreams of love from a child coming true (When You Were Young). Even a small peek at the titles of some of the songs makes someone want to hear the song to know what it's about (Bones, This River Is Wild, Why Do I Keep Counting, etc.) Brandon Flowers probably won't win the best singer of the century award anytime soon but the music from the band accompanies his voice perfectly. Some of the songs have lyrics so catchy, you can't help but just randomly start singing them in the shower like For Reasons Unknown (But my heart, it don't beat, it don't beat the way it used to. And my eyes, they don't see you no more) or Bones (Don't you wanna come with me? Don't you wanna feel my bones on your bones?) // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I loved this album. I was definately a fan of the Killers' earlier work but this album definately shows growth from that. And although it's very different from Hot Fuss, that doesn't take away from it's similarity in greatness. As I said earlier, this is one of the best albums I've gotten in a while. There wasn't a single song that I can complain about saying I really don't like. My personal favourites would have to be Sam's Town, When You Were Young, For Reasons Unknown, Bones, and Why Do I Keep Counting?. The only negative aspects I can see about this album is once you take away the Enterlude and Exitlude which don't really count as songs, you're left with only 10 songs. And although they're all great, it leaves the mind to wonder what else could have been on there. // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: TheAngryMob875, on may 01, 2007

Sound: On this album, the Killers sound absolutely amazing. They have moved on from the synth-influenced poppy alternative songs, and have gone to alt. rock. The album is named after a place in Vegas they used to hang out at, and each song has it's own memorable impression on you. The album starts out with "Sam's Town", a great intro rock song that can get stuck in your head easily. Then comes "Enterlude", a minute long pure piano song with a style the killers didn't have on Hot Fuss. Enterlufe leads into the first single, When You Were Young, which is a Springsteen-influenced song that shows you that the Kilelrs have what it takes to be the biggest band in the world. Track number 4 is claled "Bling (Confession's Of A King)", and it's music alone is brilliance. The melody and all around composition will send chills down your spine. Next comes "For Reason's Unknown". Starts out with palm-muted guitars and grows into an arena rock song. The songs go on from there, each making you love the Killers even more. // 10

Lyrics: Brandon Flowers has a pure gift. His lyrics are compelling and deep, yet easy to udnerstand. Whether it's about a cocaine addicted Uncle (Uncle Jonny) or about girls who only go for guys who they dreamt of as children (When You Were Young), Brandon Flowers draws you in. On Hot Fuss some of the songs, such as Andy You're A Star, Everything's Alright, and Midnight Show, were simply bad. They were not as cleverly written, didn't have the same energy, etc. With Sam's Town, you get everything. // 10

Overall Impression: I know you're not supposed to hype up a band too much, but I will anyways. The Killers are amazing on this album. It is the best album since American Idiot, and the Kilelrs have what it takes to go a long long way. If it was stolen, I would buy it again, again, again, again, again, again, again, again, and again. And then once more time. Then, I'd burn it, or steal it from somewhere else. It is amazing, and it is better than Hot Fuss by a mile. // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: andy_on_bass, on june 04, 2007

Sound: The sound of The Killers new album, sams town, is amazing, I know it's been out for a while now but there are still some people who think that it isn't as good as Hot Fuss, what I say is just listen, don't compare. The great guitar solos arn't the most difficult or complex, but it just fits in with the rest of the music so well. The mix of synth with the rest of the band is amazing, I know that there areplenty of bands that do this, but most can't do it in the way the killers do it in sams town. The songs also sound amazing live, they are possably the best band at the moment and the music from this album just proves it. // 10

Lyrics: The llyrics in sams town are rraly well put together, they fit in with the music so well. If the music is quite slow, eg. Why Do I Keep Counting. Then the llyrics are moulded to perfection. Brandon Flowers, what can I say, his voice is realy recognisable and you can't say that for many artists these days, he adds little things to the songs and makes it fit, it's so perfect it's untrue. // 10

Overall Impression: The Killers have said that this album is better than Hot Fuss because there is a wider range of songs and the music is better and there are better llyrics, it's just insane. I love the fact that most people think it's not as good as hot fuss because it makes it more valuble to the people that do love it, but it annoys me when people just say "No, it's shit, sorry, but it doesn't compare to the brilliance of Hot Fuss." Hot Fuss was/is an amazing debut album and sams town may be different, but it's different in a good way, don't compare the two albums, they are seporate. And it's good that way. // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: flyingmonkey17, on april 14, 2008

Sound: Picking up this album and listening it to the first time, I expected a bit out of it. I was very very pleased with Hot Fuss, and couldn't wait to pop in Sam's Town the second I got it. I wasn't disappointed, I enjoyed the whole album, song by song.The first song, Sam's Town set the tone very nicely with some nice prog-influenced sound, mixed with nice rock tone. After that, When You Were Young follows and really pleased my ears, even though I'd only listened to the non-album version that came out before the album. Each track is just as pleasing as the last, which you don't get out of an album much. Some of the songs reminded me of Oasis's sound, but just not as good. It seemed like they were trying too hard to sound like them in a couple songs, such as Bones. Some of the guitar is a bit repetitive, as found in Uncle Jonny which basically plays the same guitar riff and drum beat throughout the entire song. However, the band still keeps it's uniqueness intact. The Killers didn't really change their sound much, just added some more keyboard and electronic tone to accompany their sweet instrumental sound. The band is also starting to incorporate guitar solos into their music notably with "Read My Mind". // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically speaking, the album doesn't have really deep lyrics, but they all go along with the song and at least the singer. Brandon Flowers nails lyrical flow with song perfectly, and the instruments are wonderfully fused with his flow. To sum it up lyrically, while not being deep show the vocals have much groove to the band's basic patterns. // 7

Overall Impression: The Killers have been deemed a punk band, which I believe is complete BS. None of their songs sound anything like punk. They are easily alternative based. I really enjoy Flowers' voice in this one, over the couple of years span between Hot Fuss and Sam's Town, it seems as though his voice just got better. The same could be said for Keuning's guitar talent, and Ron Vannucci's drum beats. I enjoyed this album, and I see it as an improvement over Hot Fuss, which even I couldn't believe. I find When You Were Young, My List, and Read My Mind to be the most ear-pleasing songs on this album. What I love is the great feeling I get listening to Keunings silky-smooth guitar leading up to the chorus sang by Flowers' great voice. Nearly everything sounds great on this album. The only problem I have is the occasional repetitiveness of the guitar riffs. Also the vocals get dragged out during some points, which is really annoying. It sometimes sounds like the vocalist is trying to hard to get a good sound out of his voice, but really it can sound crappy, which sums up Flowers voice: it can either sound beautiful, or dragged out and a bit annoying. These problems are overshadowed by the other awesome aspects that this album shows however. This was a great album for me to listen to. I listen to at least 2 tracks off of it everyday when I put my iPod. I recommend it to any alt-heavy person, or those just looking to find a great band to listen to and call one of their favorites. There's a reason these guys are on the mainstream side: They're that good. // 8

Sam's Town Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2008

Sound: It took me about a year listening to this album to finally feel able to review it. I first got into the killers with the now famous single "Somebody told me". I soon got Hot Fuss and absolutely loved it. About a month later I picked up Sam's Town. After much thought, I believe this to be one of the greatest albums of the year. However, I believe that there will be limited commercial sucess due to the complete change in sound. Sam's Town takes you on a literal tour of Las Vegas, and the Southwest area. It is filled with stories of hope, heartbreak, redemption, revenge, and salvation. It almost feels as if you know the characters in the songs. The synthesizers have been placed in the background somewhat, being replaced by distorted guitar, bass, saxophones, and other more organic instruments. Amazing drum solos scatterd throughout the album. THe whole album carries a casino theme and is filled with orchestral flourishes. "Bones" sounds like an elvis song with a killers twist. When you were young is pure joy and adrenaline, sounding like U2's" where the streets have no name" and Bruce Springsteens "born to run". "Read my mind" is a Synthy anthem filled with huge choruses and hooks ala U2. "For reasons unknown" could be ono the soundtrack to a western! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good here. On "Uncle Jonny" Flowers tells the story of an unlcle( no guessing there! ) addicted to cocaine. "Read My Mind" is almost an inspirational break-up song. When you were young is a gem read some of these lyrics "we're burning down the highway skyline one the back of a hurricane/that started turnin' when you/ were young." much better than hot fuss. Brandons voice has cahnged too. With less of a British voice, and more of a western drawl, he almost crrons over "Bones". // 9

Overall Impression: Overall much better songwriting(while I do hope they get back to they're old sound)though it will not do as well as Hot Fuss. Critics will bash this album due to comments Brandon made prior to it's release, and accuse it of being unoriginal. Pop charts will reject it with it's lack of a new "Somebody Told Me". But this album will be loved in the hearts of all true killers fan's(like me). iI give props to the kilers, while most of their peers will become much more commercial friendly while sacrificing their artistic integrity, the killers seem to be doing the opposite. If you wan't to find a true killers fan ask them what they think of this album. You'll sooon find the difference between teenyboppers and true fans of this band. // 10

Sam's Town Reviewed by: Big_4, on june 30, 2008

Sound: On Sam's Town, The Killers previous techno-peranoia sound has matured into something special; a full fleged, heart racing, grandoise passion. We see The Killers demonstrating a concept, the album evokes Springsteen-like themes of down-on-their-luck folks iching for a break. Musically, the synths and guitars are bigger and slicker. Brandon Flowers & co. create a sometimes heart-pounding, sometimes though provoking, new sound that can be traced vaguelly back to the synth-crazy days of the late '70s and early '80s. // 10

Lyrics: Although most reviews claim that Sam's Town can't hold it's own against Hot Fuss due to limp lyrics, I feel that here we see Brandon Flowers at his best. His range has become stronger, and his lyrics have gone from semi-unhappy London punk to confident young man, looking for true happiness and reflecting on his life. The words of Sam's Town tell the gritty, Americana tales of people who desire some sort of satisfaction, with themselves, with their life. And this is clear to me in Brandon's lyrics. Hell of a job. // 10

Overall Impression: For me, Sam's Town is exactly what The Killers said it would be; the best album in 20 years. Every song is near perfect, instrumentally, lyrically, and conceptually. Songs like 'This River Is Wild,' 'Sam's Town,' and 'Read My Mind,' make this album really something special, and I can think of few albums that offer up more than Sam's Town emotionally or on an entertainment level. Hands down the best album of 2006. // 9

Sam's Town Reviewed by: sbikram, on august 11, 2008

Sound: Sam's town is the second studio album by The Killers. A whole lot a difference is seen in this album from its first album, Hot Fuss. The Killers have always been famous for their unique sound and its melodious music. This album, as an influence to works of artists like U2, Springsteen, Tom Petty, Oasis etc has been a great success, selling about 2,750,000 copies worldwide. The killers are known best for their indie tone and Brandon Flower's vocals. The killers, my personal favourites as well, have won 16 awards and have been nominated for 62. There is a variation in songs, are beautifully written and beautifully composed. // 10

Lyrics: The Killers have always been good at writing lyrics. Their way of writing lyrics is what I have not seen in other areas. All of their songs are pretty nicely written and they all give a nice message. The lyrics and the music have been compiled in an awesome way. This shows the hardwork the killers have done. They have made this album way differently and produced good music, I must say. Brandon Flowers is a good singer, my circle has given him the nickname, 'the octaver' He's pretty good at singing and has an aromatic tone. He can be regarded as one of the best singer around. // 10

Overall Impression: Sam's town has been voted as the best album by the Killers in several queries, while others think it is Hot Fuss. I personally think Sam's Town is the best among all of the killers'. The most popular songs from this album are "Sam's Town," "When You Were Young", "For Reasons Unknown", "Read My Mind", "Bones". I personally like all of the songs from this album. This album is awesome! // 10

More Killers reviews rating latest review
+ Battle Born 7.5 09/18/2012