As Daylight Dies Review

killswitch engage: As Daylight Dies
Release Date: Nov 21, 2006
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal, Alternative Metal
With their new album KsE are proving that if you keep playing the game your way, you'll eventually change the rules for everyone else.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.1
 9.2
 8.9
As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: guitar_man_dct, on november 27, 2006

Sound: I have been a fan of Killswitch for sometime now, and their most recent album just sealed the deal. As Daylight Dies is an album composed of incredible guitar playing and stunning vocals all mixed together. Adam D is a great guitarist and Howard is an AMAZING vocalist. They didn't stray to far away from their roots on this album, which is half the reason I love it so much. // 9

Lyrics: Howard has to be one of my favorite vocalists of all time. He has a crazy scream backed up with a powerful yet melodic voice. "My curse" is a track that, to me, showcases his talent and range as a singer. My hat goes off to Howard. The lyrics seem to have a central theme of love through out the CD. Howard is a very passionate singer and has a way of making me think he is singing to me. Kidding of course, but if he was I would let him, that's a big dude! // 10

Overall Impression: This is so similar yet so different from The End of Heartache. If you were or are a fan of previous Killswitch, you will love this album. "Eye Of The Storm," "My Curse" and "The Arms Of Sorrow" are my favorite tracks on this ablum. I love everything about this album. The only thing I hate, is that I didn't go to their concert! If it were lost, or stolen I would definately buy it again. // 10

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: Hascher, on december 04, 2006

Sound: Some people say they weren't happy with this version and that The End Of Heartache was much better. I beg to differ. I got the first impression as I listened to this CD that it wasn't going to be good. As I skipped through the tracks. After looking up the lyrics and focusing on the sound more, I have become to absolutely love this CD. The sound is much like that of End Of Heartache, but the heavier parts have become heavier while the softer melody parts have become softer. There is a bigger transition in their songs now. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are absolutley amazing. They're very powerful and deliver the point. I've grown up in a christian family, therefore I have heard many uplifting christian songs and what not. KsE lyrics have to be the most uplifting lyrics I have ever listened to. Howard Jones has the best voice for these lyrics. He is amazing at the screaming and yelling and then the melody part. It's all so smooth. If I could change one thing about the lyrics, I'd have to make it so they don't repeat as much (although the songs get their point across). // 9

Overall Impression: Everything with this CD is simply near perfection. Nothing better than a lead singer who can scream his lungs out one second and then the next moment be able to bring a tear to your eye. My personal favorite songs are Break The Silence and This Is Absolution. The lyrcis in both of these songs are quite powerful, and I can relate to them. I got a "sneak peek" of this CD a month before it came out, people told me I was "ruining the band" but the day it came out I bought 2 copies of it, therefore if I were to lose one, I'd have another. True story. // 10

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: thanx_bonham, on november 29, 2006

Sound: I guess I can start by saying the intro to this album really threw me off. You want to hit your listener with a sledgehammer to open a metal album properly, and I definitely didn't feel that here. Granted once things get rolling, it's all gravy, but then you sort of get lost again. A lot of As Daylight Dies follows past formulas from the other Killswitch albums, and there's also a whole lot that's new which goes in a pretty different direction. Something I found as a positive and negative for the whole sound is that you are completely immersed in it, it's a big big sound that just wraps you in its atmosphere, yet in that situation, clarity is all over the place and memorable moments outside of choruses are rare. I tend to feel the difference of this album and other Killswitch is similar to Lamb of God's change in sound, if you've listened recently (I.e. the clarity and orchestration of Ashes of the Wake vs. the mature yet too swept up Sacrament). I wish I could appreciate this album on levels other than background music but I honestly can't. Very few riffs and verses stand out, very few. On the upside, Howard is absolutely the highlight of this album, his choruses shine, even though they end up sort of echoing each other throughout songs. It seems like everything that's new and fresh on the album is just dry and a recycling of their success, except now it's far less exciting. It's less metal and more along hardcore/damn near emo lines. I mean, Alive or Just Breathing may very well be my favorite album of all time, and End of Heartache is great, but I don't think As Daylight Dies can hold a candle to them. // 6

Lyrics: Pretty similar and consistnet lyrics, kind of wish they would change up the themes a little more. Like I mentioned, though, Howard is the highlight of this album. Which also blows a little bit, because it overshadows the music, and any musical breaks/interlude become more like a gimmick than a piece of composition since you're just waiting for more melodies. His screams are definitely better here than Heartache, but his strength is found way more in his singing, which is powerful as shit. // 8

Overall Impression: I do enjoy listening to this album, but it's basically doomed to background music unless I have a big awakening and start really loving every bit of the album. It has it's moments, but they're almost all tied to chorus vocals. I'm not expecting an album better than Alive or Just Breathing from Killswitch, just different flavors, but I'm not really digging the new direction. Worth getting, worth listening to, if only to learn a few things about progression of a band's work, or lack thereof. // 6

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: evilbeavil, on november 28, 2006

Sound: After picking up the latest in my collection of Killswitch Engage albums, I am proud and almost relieved to say that it deserves it's place among their previous releases. In other words, it is good, as it is not exactly an easy feet to release an album to match both the masterpieces of Alive or Just Breathing and The End of Heartache. As for the overall sound of this album, it is nothing less of what is to be expected of a Killswitch Engage release, aggressive and creative guitar riffs, masterful vocals, sweet drum fills and wicked bass lines. As Daylight Dies also seems to be a lot more versatile than their previous releases encompassing many more genres. As well as this, Killswitch retains their ability to drift from the stereotypes of contemporary music ideas and labels, once again cementing their originality and brilliance, not allowing themselves to be pigeonholed into a single genre. As any true fan of Killswitch Engage can appreciate, I believe nothing more needs to be said in respect to their sound, it has not faltered. // 9

Lyrics: Okay so here is usually where the pointless fighting occurs over Jesse and Howard. Rather than add to the ongoing arguments, I'm just going to focus on Howard's contribution to this record, being a major driving force behind its success. The lyrics are definitely credible, although no comparison to the brilliance of Jessie Leach. As they don't tend to stray far from the ideas of love and the falling out of love, although almost terribly cliche, it suits the music well. Regarding the vocal talent of Howard Jones, he is continually at his best, once again with this effort, establishing himself as one of the singers at the forefront of modern metal. A very unique talent indeed. The backup vocals from Adam D also prove to be quite extraordinary as they attribute to some of the most memorable choruses. // 8

Overall Impression: This album definitely holds its own against their older material, although not exactly progressional in terms of it's sound; it does set a benchmark in Killswitch's discography which is not to be overlooked. Personal favourites include: The Eye of the Storm (breakdown and bass solo make this song great), This Is Absolution (very solid song with one of the most memorable choruses) and the exceptional first single, My Curse. In regards to the whole If it were stolen/lost would you buy it again? question, this album earns a positive yes, as I can see it being an album I would easily revisit in the future. All in all, As Daylight Dies is a very solid album and is well worth the money. // 9

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: yokosaki39, on november 27, 2006

Sound: KsE's sound has always made an impact on me. The lead guitars and bass are melded perfectly together to make some of the best riffs and melodies I've ever heard. I have not yet heard their first two CDs, so I would'nt know if I like Howard Jones or Jesse Leach better as a singer, but to me, Howard's voice is amazing and perfect for their style of music. // 10

Lyrics: As with the End Of Heartache, the lyrics are amazing. A lot of the songs on the CD are about love. And these lyrics about love fit perfect with the melodys and Howard's voice. And the other songs that aren't about love are just as good and have just as much meaning. The lyrics are great. // 10

Overall Impression: As Daylight Dies is an amazing album, and Killswitch is an amazing band, my favorite band actually. Although I do have to say that this album didn't have as much of an impact on me as the End of Heartache did. The only reason is the album felt rushed to me in a way, but it's still awe-inspiring nonetheless. My favorite songs on the CD are Daylight Dies, The Arms Of Sorrow, My Curse, For You, Eye Of The Storm, Break The Silence, and Reject Yourself. And if it were ever stolen, I would track down the person, take the CD back, and hurt them badly. // 9

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: icyblue, on november 28, 2006

Sound: 'As Daylight Dies' is like a continuation of 'The End of Heartache' in terms of tone, though maybe a bit heavier. My favorite aspect of Killswitch Engage is thier ability to fuse plenty of melody into their song & still keep them heavy. Howards vocals suit this style of music perfectly like Jesse before him (though I do think Jesse was a better screamer, 'Alive Or Just Breathing' rocked). // 10

Lyrics: The main theme for the album seems to be love & Howards deep melodic voice compliments this very well. The lyrics are very well written & show that a lot of thought has been put into each song. Although that have the whole album centralised around love is in no way a bad thing, I perhapse would have liked to see a bit more variety in topics to sing about. // 9

Overall Impression: Killswitch Engage are by far my favorite band & it's doubtfull that will ever change in the near future. This album 'As Daylight Dies' has something that I think will appeal to everyone in one way or another. My favorite track are This is Absolution, Arms of Sorrow, My Curse, For You & Reject Yourself. // 10

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2006

Sound: Overall, the sound is awesome. You can definitely tell it's a KsE album from first track to last. No, this is not even close to AOJB but it is still a very powerful album. They're still fast & heavy, they're still Killswitch. The guitarists, Adam & Joel, played some amazing rhythm and melodies on this album. I think a lot of people aren't giving the changes that were made enough credit. The rhythm section, Mike (bass) and Justin (drums), were tight and had a huge sound as usual. All in all, you might say they didn't progress much. I think they progressed in different ways than what was expected of them. This CD is definitely worth buying. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have about the same quality they did on The End of Heartache. Howard is a very strong vocalist and has a lot of power backing his voice. The lyrics fit very well with the music on this album. As always, Howard used a lot of melody. I've heard the emo reference thrown in there which I think is garbage but, at the same time, I can see where certain people might have gotten that impression. However, knowing this is a KsE CD, I like where Howard went on this album. He's one of the better vocalists out there and continues to prove himself a versatile and very capable voice in heavy metal. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't think it compares to other albums that they have released but by no means is it in the shadow of any of their other material either. Every song on this CD grabbed my attention in it's own way. I love the way the guitars sounded on "As Daylight Dies" and "For You". I love the fact that it still shows that there are bands out there that can actually write music these days. It's not the pure insanity some might enjoy from other bands but more of the "controlled chaos" I've come to know and love from KsE. There isn't a thing about this CD that I hate. I wouldn't have to buy another one because I have 2 of every Killswitch album anyway (I know, I'm a nerd but they keep re-releasing the friggin' things). // 10

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: live4metal2985, on december 11, 2006

Sound: If you like Killswitch Engae then you should like the sound on this album. The powerful riffs are still there and Justin does an amazing job with the drums in this release. The guys stick to doing what they are good at and it produces some of the most beautiful metal I have ever heard. It seems like they are pushing towards a more melodic sound with As Daylight Dies. I feel this CD will have Killswitch fans in a confused state. // 8

Lyrics: I have read reviews of this album and people say Killswitch has gone more emo with their lyrics. Since when has Killswitch not been about writing powerful and emotional lyrics. It is what makes this band so great. Howard makes many references to love and heartache in this album just as he did with their previous release. However, there seems to be a more political message in this record. All you have to do is read the lyrics to the title track As Daylight Dies. Howard Jones is trying to prove he is the best metal singer in the game today and with this release he definitely adds some merit to that statement. Howard's voice is an echo of perfection with how melodic he can be and then how vicious it can be. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not exactly stand out in the vast sea of metal music, but it is certainly worth picking up. Although nothing beats their previous release, As Daylight Dies finds Killswitch doing more of what makes them one of the best bands out there today. The best tracks on this album this is absolution, eye of the storm and arms the arms of sorrow. Honestly there are no songs that are necessarily bad on this album, the only problem is a lot of them sound the same. Yet, if someone stole this album I would definitely beat them down drag them to the CD store and have them buy me another copy. // 8

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: protestthehero8, on january 11, 2007

Sound: This CD is Killswitch Engage's follow-up to 2004's "The End Of Heartache". The band hasn't changed much, soundwise, but their songwriting skills have imporved greatly. As much as I like "The End Of Heartache", "As Daylight Dies" is just an amazing album. The opening track, which is where the album name came from, "Daylight Dies" is absolutely mindblowing. It has a great intro in which you are eagerly awaiting the heaviness of the song, start off slow and gradually getting louder and heavier. Then the vocals kick in and there's an amazing little harmonized riff. That's only one of the songs. The rest of the album is just as good, if not better. Howard's vocals seem a lot stronger and he seems more confident on this record as well. I don't see any storyline in the album, but I'm sure each song has a strong meaning. Also, Justin Foley(drums) seems to have greatly improved as a drummer, from his double bass skills, to just changing up his style a little bit. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical Howard Jones. Nothing special, but yet still strong and appealing. Songs like "For You" and "Still Beats Your Name" have lyrics about love and being devoted to one person, etc, which, like I said, is typical Howard Jones, but the point gets made. I wasn't too impressed on the lyrics, but Howard's vocals are amazing on this album. He seems much more confident and seems to have tried many new things with his style. Overall, it worked great. The lyrics in some songs don't really go with the music, except in certain spots. Going back to "For You", it's a heavy song with softer lyrics. Even so, the song still fits. Lyrics could have been better on this album, but the sound is awesome. // 8

Overall Impression: This album blew me away. I haven't stopped listening to it since I bought it. It doesn't really sound like any other artists I listen to personally, if anyone has any, feel free to let me know. The songs that caught my ear, I guess you could say, were "Daylight Dies" and "Break The Silence". Those are my 2 personal favorites. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the songs are great, but those 2 really stuck out. I love the fact that Howard hasn't dropped the screaming. A lot of bands seem to be doing that, and Killswitch just wouldn't be Killswitch if Howard dropped it. I don't so much like that there's only 11 tracks. "The End Of Heartache" had 12 songs, plus 2 Bonus tracks, "My Life For Yours" and "Irreversal". "As Daylight Dies" has just 11 tracks, none of which exceed 4:45. Killswitch took 2 years to release the album, one would think there would be more tracks. Other than that, the album is nearly flawless. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of Killswitch Engage. It has not softened up, and makes you want to bang your head. That's what I look for in a Killswitch Engage album. If this album were to get stolen or lost, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Great album. // 9

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 16, 2007

Sound: Killswitch Engage's sound is truely orginal, with it's mixing of beautiful tones and harmonies yet still keeping that badass distorted guitar riffs we all love. I love how they incorperate singing and screaming, and take it to another level I love metal don't get me wrong but, when I can't understand what the hell they are saying all the time cause of the screams that bothers me, when I have to look up the lyrics cause all the lyrics were unrecognizable, and I love it when a music takes you for a ride like killswitch engages music does for me, sucking me into headbanging guitar riffs and insane screams then, taking a break into a more medolic singing and softer guitar riffs and lastly, how it just kicks your ass back into headbanging that's truely what I love about Killswitch Engage. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are Inspirational talking about love, devotion and betrayal. Lyrics from "Desperate Times" send chills down my spine, with his references to Jesus Christ and haunting yet beautiful guitar riffs. This would have to be the so called "Stand Out" of this album. The Lyrics Deffinately fit the music and Howard Jones Voice is truely amazing to go from agressive screaming to soft medolic singing. // 10

Overall Impression: As Daylight Dies is a great album by Killswitch Engaged but it stands out from there previous realeases. for example you'll find a lot of the songs are faster paced then the ones from The previous release The End of Heartache. Another thing is they incorperated different musical styles bringing a more medolic tone to their music. with touching warm acoustic tones featured in some of the songs on this album followed by a bone crushing distortion and very catchy guitar riffs that will suck you in and blow your mind. The Most Impressive song on this album would have to be Track Number 5 "My Cuse" with it's extremely catchy guitar riffs and touching lyrics you'll be sucked in like I was. from begining to end this song dosen't dissapoint. I love everything about this album but the thing I hate is that Killswitch Engaged guitarists are extremely talented and have awesome breakdowns to their songs but I wish they'd add some solos to their music. If this CD was stolen from me I would deffinately buy this album again. // 9

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 26, 2007

Sound: When the news came out that KSE was recording a new album everybody and their dog said it was not gonna live up to The End Of Heartache, that the band was out of it's prime. Well this album is a direct slap in the face of those critics. The guitar work is absolutely amazing. When is Joel gonna get the credit he deserves? The drum work of justin is fantastic. Their songs overall are large and epic in construction. The overall construction of the songs aren't that varied from TEOH but if it isn't broken don't fix it. They know what they are doing and built on it masterfully. // 9

Lyrics: Howard Jones is one of the best lyricist in the business and this album showcases his abilities. Once again the listener is blasted in the face with lyrics that aren't centered around dark, negative topics but words of love, joy, and goodness. Plus that man can growl! I love it. A surprise to even myself was a much larger contribution lyrically from Adam D. I think his smooth backing vocals complimented Howards like Jelly compliments jiffy. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best Killswitch Engage to date. The guitars are intricate and soaring, the drums are pummeling, and the vocals are angelic. A listener will be hard pressed to find too many things wrong with this album. it's written and performed like too well. I hate saying it, because I love this band, but they will have a terrible time trying to make an album better than this one. No fan of metal should be without this album. // 10

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: 6Brutal6Doom6, on june 01, 2007

Sound: This album is definitely their best so far. The sound is brutal and heavy yet, melodic and calm. All the musicians are very talented (Which I find almost odd for a Hardcore band). With killer riffs and pounding drum beats it's hard to not headbang to this album. This album is a solid listen, there isn't one song on it I don't like. Killswitch Engage is at there finest and if you've ever liked anything of theirs, buy this album! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not very common but, at the same time not too special. Each song is almost like a depressing poem. I've heard this band concidered as "Emo" and if you listen to "The End Of Heartache (2004)" it's not hard to imagine why, though this album (musically) is much more on the metal side of things. The singer is very skillful with both screaming and singing which makes them much more diverse than your typical "top music". // 7

Overall Impression: This album is unique to my CD case. It doesn't really compare to anything else, it's just differant. I love that they're able to come out with some of the most heavy riffs and some of the most calm and clean within the same song. My favorite song is "My Curse" closely followed by the title track. I'm not sure if there is anything I don't like about this album. If this album were stolen I would definitely replace it. It's not one of the best albums ever but, definitely not the worst. This band is very much a hit or miss, you either love them or hate them so, if you've never heard of them before I'd take a listen to them before I'd spend my money. // 9

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: sandfighter, on november 05, 2007

Sound: Killswitch Engage made for us all a huge surprise by re-recording their latest album: As Daylight Dies. From the lighness of the original tracks they tried to be more powerful, heavy. And they finally made it! Whole new album has increased heaviness of distorted guitars, more agressive vocals and proper depth. Return to the roots if it comes to sound was a good decision. Apart from changing sound and depth of it it's still As Daylight Dies. I can compare it only to one thing, cover of the album, it's heavy as hell! // 9

Lyrics: Well if it comes to the older songs from main album I can say that it's still the same KSE but in a bit commercial way (My Curse, The Arms Of Sorrow), but the lyrics are very good and thanks to Howard and Adam they fit perfectly to the music. You cannot doubt in Howard's skills, you just have to hear him. His growl isn't that impressive as Jesse's but clean vocal and melody is fantastic. // 9

Overall Impression: I am still a big fan of their first self-titled album but they've travelled far from playing still the same music. Every time they release an albu it's something different, something that reaches out of the metalcore itself. On this Special Edition KSE added four extra tracks. The first that wants to be played it's DIO's cover, Holy Diver. Very good cover by the way. Impressive solo in the middle. When I heard This Fire it was so amazing that I couldn't stop playing it! Great, very heavy riffs, great vocals even though lyrics are simple. I won't hesitate to buy it if it were stolen, definitely. The only thing I hate about this album is a lack of songs like This Fire, thick, fast, heavy, melodic and very impressive. PS. As a bonus you'll get DVD with three latest video clips and their footage. // 10

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: MattBarlowIsGod, on october 07, 2008

Sound: The sound of Killswitch is the same as always on this album. Great riffs, awesome guitar harmonies, melodic breakdowns but a severe lack of solos. I'm glad they haven't changed this system, for I'm a great fan of harmonies and meaty riffs. If I could change anything about the sound of the album it would be to add at least one solo to each song. // 8

Lyrics: As everyone already knows, Mr Jones has a knack for writing lyrics about relationships (see his other band Blood Has Been Shed) and compare that to Jesse's inspiring and optimistic lyrics, Jones' are preatty weak. Thankfully though, there is more variety this time around when it comes to the old song words. From the semi-political Daylight Dies and This Is Absolution, to the motivational Unbroken, (Those are just my opinion, let me know if you disagree) the lyrics have greatly improved from the repetitive and sometimes dull End Of Heartache. Along with The Het and Matt Barlow, Howard Jones is one of my favourite vocalists of all time. He has such an amazing style, from his operatic clean vocals to his raspy screams. At some points his vocals have reduced me to tears (sad from other things and being pushed over the edge by him). Adam D is also at his vocal best, The Arms Of Sorrow is his absolute best. If Howard left (which would be shit) I would pray that Adam took over the vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: This is without question the best Killswitch album, well for me anyway. It has my 3 fave songs by them (This Is Absolution, Daylight Dies and This Fire Burns) and it doesnt't get old or dull as you go through the album. I could honestly listen to it ever day without getting tired of it. I reccomend this album to everyone that appreciates great vocals, awesome riffage and plentyfull harmonies. // 8

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: Gmoneydogg360, on march 02, 2009

Sound: The Sound of this band can't be compared to anyone I have listened to the great melodies and the voice of thrash metal mix and it's amazing. This dosen't just make them a good band but it also states that the sing. Isn't simply a person who screams in the mic. // 10

Lyrics: The major hit's of this CD "My Curse", "Reject Yourself", and "Arms of Sorrow" are similar to that of "End of a Heartache". I must say that It seems to me that Half the songs are completely screamo and the others are good. So I can only understand a few of the lyrics to the songs. // 6

Overall Impression: In my Colection of CD's this is not a CD I regret buying (i got the bonus album). I like that the melodies are terrific and yet they can throw some metal in there. The top three songs on this cd are 01.Arms of Sorrow: I know what your thinking it's not my curse? I personally Like this song the best on the cd because of Its good balance of both Melody and Metal 02.My Curse (as seen on Guitar Hero): This song Is good too The beat is Catchy and the Video Isn't half bad either 03.Holy Diver: if you get the bonus Cd which I highly Recomend. This Cover personally I think is better thn Dio's. Once you hear it you will then be stuck with this version. // 8

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: boyan89, on december 13, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album blew me away sure they don't have any guitar solos on this album but they have really good melodic riffs and amazing tapping. The guitar on this album was astonishing, it was fast, crazy, and when the slow parts of the guitar came in on some songs that impressed me a lot because these guys write beatiful guitar work in their songs, so yah just amazing riffs and good breakdowns done on the guitar. The drums on this album are mindblowing I mean when you listen to Justin just banging the shit out of those drums you're like whoaa he's skilled and he uses the double bass drumming techniques very well. The bass on this album was good as usual and Mike did an amazing and I think he improved a bit on this album because he just did a amazing good job. So basically the sound was just plain amazing and mindblowing. // 10

Lyrics: Howard Jones is one skilled vocalist he has a mindblowing scream and when he actually does sing his voice is one of the most melodic voices. He sings mostly about emotional lyrics throughout the CD but it's not like emo music like "I'm gonna slit my wrists if you dump me"! Killswitch Engage do none of that shit they are just trying to express themselves in a loving way to their girlfriends or wives or whatever they have. I also really like the background vocals on this album, adam can really sing I swear. // 10

Overall Impression: Killswitch Engage are one of my favourite modern day bands along with Trivium, Slpknot, Lamb Of God, Avenged Sevenfold, MCR, and a shitload of other bands. I don't have any favourite songs on this album because well all of them are just put really well together and Killswitch are a very organized band if you asked me. I love everything about this album and there is nothing to hate but they should have just put some guitar solos in I swear they do such an amazing job with those. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy this album again since Killswitch Engage are a amazing band! I can't wait to hear more of these guys keep it up! // 10

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: HomeSkillet8287, on december 11, 2007

Sound: I had first heard Killswitch Engage on the WWE: Wreckless Intent CD with the song, "This Fire Burns." I heard and I really liked. I had then seen the music video the "My Curse" (track 5 on "As Daylight Dies") and fell in love with that song too. I went out and bought the CD expecting to like maybe a few songs, but I listened to it straight through and was blown away. Their music is awe-inspiring with amazing vocals and melodies, fast and harmonizing guitars with a great bassist in Mike D., and with a great drive on the kit by Justin Foley. I heard "The End of Heartache" after hearing "As Daylight Dies," and I still believed that this CD was a much better album as a whole. "The End of Heartache" to me died a little on the last 2 or 3 songs, while "As Daylight Dies" seemed to complete itself with great songs like "Break the Silence," "Desperate Times," and "Reject Yourself." You can tell a difference in maturity between the 2 albums. "As Daylight Dies" really picks up where "The End of Heartache" left off. There have been only 2 albums that I have heard that I can listen to straight through and not be tempted to skip over any songs and this one is one of them. // 10

Lyrics: Howard Jones is an amazing vocalist and a lot of people know that. But I have not heard enough recognition for his contribution to the lyrics of the album. The theme througout the album seems to stick to the fact that the world is a corrupt place and how no one stands up for the place that we live in. The songs "Daylight Dies," "Break the Silence," and "Reject Yourself" really concentrate on this theme. All of the lyrics drag you inside the mind of the writer and let you see what's going on inside of their head, and how much they care about many different scenarios. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I am so glad I got this album and it's almost because of this album why KsE is one of, if not my favorite band(s). I can't even pick one favorite song off of the CD because I love each song in a different way. No song really sounds like another and they all tell a different story. Buy Killswitch Engage's "As Daylight Dies." You will not be disappointed. // 10

As Daylight Dies Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2008

Sound: Killswitch Engage have a very distinct and unique sound. I don't feel they they are pooled together with all the hundreds of other metal bands. They have a sound which is very different. They can have the heaviest riffs a guitar can play, and the most melodic chrous's in the same song. It's amazing. Joel and Adam D produce some simply awesome riffs on every single song. // 9

Lyrics: This is one of my favorite things about killswitch engage. again, because of how different they are. They are not singing about killing everyone had shitting on there dead bodies in every single song like a lot of metal bands. They have a very very posotive message it a lot of thier songs. For example, a lyric that really caught my attention was in 'This Is Absoloution' in which guitarist Adam D sings 'Do Not Greive, End The Suffering, We Will Live, Live Eternal' although sometimes bordering on a little cheesy, for the most part, the lyrics are inspiring. As for the vocals themselves, in my opinion, Howard Jones is the best vocalist in metal. The range of his screams is incredible, from high squeals to low growls, he can do it all. And his clean vocals are some of the best I've heard from any genre. They are amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression on this album is one I haven't felt for many other albums. Like I said, they have a very unique sound, which is head and shoulders above the rest. But if I were to compare with another band. I would say All That Remains have a fairly similar sound. This maybe because that they are produced by Killswitch guitarist Adam D. I love the mix of melody and heavyness with this album. My personal favorite tracks are, Eye Of The Storm, This Is Absoloution, Break The Silence and Reject Yourself. But they are all worth of being mentioned. // 10

More Killswitch Engage reviews rating latest review