Killswitch Engage Review

killswitch engage: Killswitch Engage
Released: Jul 4, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal
Anyone who is into metal or metalcore that isn't watered down for the masses or for raido play should pick this up instead of End Of Heartache.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 8.9
 9.9
 7.9
Killswitch Engage Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 07, 2005

Sound: Ok considering I got the remastered version, I guess I have to say it was pretty good sounding. But because I love jesse leach more than howard jones, I have to say this album was incredible. Definatly better than The End Of Heartache (but it depends which singer you like more). // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were pretty kick ass. When you listen you will notice that some of the lyrics are emotionally angry (not emo), for example, "What have we done a slowly dying earth a suffocated wasteland for convenience and so called progression visions of prophecy faces pushed in the earth nothing will change unless we inflict transition praying on bended knees (empty) closed eyes will not see (empty)" or you can have meaningful lyrics like "No one is placed higher than another no matter race or creed or gender we must teach forgiveness and compassion for all life through understanding of our differences we will find respect for one another." Just awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I listened to this album after I heard The End Of Heartache and I was blown away. The only thing I didn't like was the song Soilborn. It was ok, but just a little boring. // 10

Killswitch Engage Reviewed by: The Primer, on september 12, 2007

Sound: Before I even start, I have to say that this just might be my favorite album ever. Alive or Just Breathing really put Killswitch on the map, but this a gem that absolutely should not be missed. Also, for this review, I will be referring to the remastered edition. This is Killswitch's debut, and what a hell of a debut. It's packed with so much raw emotion and passion. Jesse Leach is such a great vocalist. The man can really do everything. He'll deliver haunting clean vocals one second, then a vicious scream the next, flawlessly. This is before they were watered down. Don't get me wrong, I think Alive or Just Breathing is incredible, but it was very formulaic. Don't expect many clean vocal choruses on this one. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Temple From The Within - awesome opening track. This version is ten times better than the one remade on AOJB. It's an ode to spirituality. 02. Vide Infra - the best Killswitch song. So much emotion in this one. The last line at the end has to be heard to be believed. Jesse's delivery was spot on. 03. Irreversal - this a spiritual song. Acoustic bridge followed by an awesome ending. 04. Rusted Embrace - brutal song. Another song that doesn't get much praise. Great lyrics about how we basically have destroyed our own world. 05. Prelude - instrumental. 06. Soilborn - killer song. The ending to this song is one of my favorites. Incredible. 07. Numb Sickened Eyes - probably the weakest track here. That's not saying it's bad, it's just not up to par with the rest. 08. In The Unblind - uplifting song about being the person you want to be, don't be lead by others. 09. One Last Sunset - epic closing track. Makes you reflect on everything you've heard. // 10

Overall Impression: Everyone has albums that change their life, this is one of mine. It's a great listening experience, and even if you're not a big fan of the music, yo have to appreciate the passion. The only downside to the album is that it might be a little short. Quality over quantity, I'd say. I'd have no hesitation in buying it again if it were stolen. // 10

Killswitch Engage Reviewed by: b505, on january 29, 2010

Sound: My initial thoughts about sound are very positive. The band mixes clean intros and fills, with brutal ear pounding metal licks. In the same way vocals are switched between screaming and singing which makes for an interesting effect. The music may be clean with screaming while killer riffs have a clean singing voice. I bought the special edition album which included a digital booklet and four extra tracks; Be One, Let The Bridges Burn which is one of my favorite songs, This Fire, And a dio cover Holy Diver. This album is very metal and thus if you like metal you will love this album. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are deep and well thought out. And are very dynamic. The lyrics always match the music and never leave you with that, "wtf did that mean?" feeling. Howard Jones has amazing singing skills that make his scream sound just a bit different which makes the music even more powerful and his clean vocals are great. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this album stands up with the best of them and from what I can tell everyone has different songs that appeal to them off the album. I love the special editions four extra songs and recommend buying that version. I love the contrast between fast and slow, clean and metal. I can't truly say there is anything about this CD I don't like after listening to it for over a month the music still sounds new. If this CD were lost or stolen I wouldn't replace it because I have it backed up on itunes. // 10

More Killswitch Engage reviews rating latest review