The End Of Heartache Review

killswitch engage: The End Of Heartache
Released: May 11, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal
Killswitch Engage has changed from one album to the next, which can be viewed as a positive or a negative, depending on the listener.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.2
 9.6
 8.8
The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2005

Sound: Wow! The sound of this band is amazing. The guitarists are insane, and they have great melody and rhythm. I love the singing and screaming of the lead singer, Howard Jones. All the songs have distinct variations in sound, and all are great. Sounds alot similar to earlier albums, with the exception of the new singer, who I perfer more. You can tell all of the words; although some screaming, it is only in the parts where necessary or sounds great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. The End Of Heartache is a great, true song. Howard Jones is a great singer, he can either take long, high pitched notes out, or scream in the middle of a guitar slam. The lyrics aren't corny, or annoying, and the singing is actually audible. Just great overall! // 10

Overall Impression: Awesome, they sound like almost no one else. They keep that sped-up heavy metal mentality, but have lots of rhythm and thought put into their songs. They are jsut a great band, and I think any fan of rock would love them. // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2005

Sound: The sounds good. It's metalcore. This is Howard Jones' first Killswitch Engage album, and he did a decent job. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics changed, which I was upset about. With jesse leach (old singer) it was more about standing up for yourself and punching hatred and other gay stuff right in the f--cking face. The new lyrics are just average old I love her, or I don't love her. There are some songs that dont have to do with that and all, but for the majority those are the lyrics. And Howard Jones is a very talented screamer, and his singing voice is alright (somtimes it gets on my nerves). Personally I liked jesse leach 10 times better, but I can usually listen to Jones with no problem. // 6

Overall Impression: Killswitch is personally my favorite band, and its hard to give this album a true rating, because it is alot different then other KSE albums. Like if this was ther first album id give it a 5/5. It's got insane guitar riffs, a great vocalist, and kick ass percusion. But you always have to add in the part about, the band had to change somwat when the singer left, and the only thing that really changed was the whole KSE message, as I said up in the lyrics. If you haven't heard any KSE stuff before, go pick up the very first album (self titled, the remastered version) and listen to that. Then buy, the second, "Alive Or Just Breathing" in my opinion the best Killswitch album, and defiantly high on my favorite metalcore album list, then buy this, appreciate it, and realize the change they have made. I still listen to this album all the time, again its a great album, and I would kick some ass if it was stolen. My favorite song is probably Take This Oath. Comparing all the KSE albums this is my list: "Alive Or Just Breathing" - just amazing, "Killswitch Engage" (self-titled) - sweetness in everysong, "End Of Heartache" - it's great and all but those other 2 are better. // 8

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2006

Sound: Amazing guitar work from the boys of KSE as always, they come back strong after having a peacefull departure with their old singer and Howards fills in great. Jesse acutally guest apperas on the 2nd track of the album. The production quality is outstanding. Now this may be the same forumula they of "metalcore" that we heard on KSE and Alive Or Just Breathing but there is a difference between beating a dead horse and riding it to victory every time. To top that off KSE really founded metalcore and the genre has grown into America's current metal musical fad. But they arent copy cats they are the band that all other metalcore acts are copying and the music is as always original and defined with awsome guitar riffing, accesible rythems and intertwined melody which draws the listner in and doesnt let go untill the last note on the albums final song. Simply to put along with KSE's other two albums this is the gold standard for metalcore. // 10

Lyrics: Ok you have a singer like Jesse Leach whose voice is amazing. So he leaves and you have some big shoes to fill. I mean very few bands can ever come back strong after loosing a singer just look at Sepultura. But KSE out does everyone and Howard Jones comes along and the band comes back with might just be more determination, more drive and a better vocalist if either of those 3 are even possible! Howards vocals are awsome ranging from his high screams and low growls to his deep booming voice layered into an element that brings the already infamous KSE to a new level of brilliance. // 10

Overall Impression: Ok Overcast gave birth to metalcore but KSE redifined it, perfected it, established it and brought it to the mainstream and to the top. And end of heartache is deff their best effort to date and I would have to ultimately say the best effort to come out of the metalcore scene. Every song on the album is good especially When Darkness Falls, Rose Of Sharyn, World Ablaze and Hope. Really every song is a classic no fillers here boys every song hits home no hit and miss patterns and you wont find yourself listening to the 1st 2 songs and skipping to the last 2 and forgetting the others in between. There arent many things to dislike about this album only thing I can bring up is their failrue to change their sound but thats not bad at all with a sound liek this do u want the band to change no. If I lost this album Id pick it up again for sure. Get this album its worth the money to buy it. // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 04, 2004

Sound: Wonderful guitars, vocals, and drums, awesome songs, a great follow-up to Alive or Just Breathing. Killswitch Engage is on the verge of becoming one of the most popular metalcore groups today. After losing their vocalist Jesse Leach after their first major release, the band picked up vocalist Howard Jones from "Blood Has Been Shed." KsE's newest release, The End of Heartache, is 12 tracks of brutal music, with amazing vocals, guitar and bass work, and spectacular drums. // 10

Lyrics: "The End of Heartache" has emotional Hardcore lyrics and amazing instrumentals from the band. The one problem with "The End of Heartache" is that it doesn't set itself apart from other Metalcore acts like As I Lay Dying. Seeing as how there is an oversaturation of this genre, it tends to lose its steam rather quickly. With distinctive songwriting and that delicate but explosive dynamic balance between melody and abrasiveness still readily on display in pace-setting openers "A Bid Farewell" and "Take This Oath," the former seems more likely. Track number three, the excellent "When Darkness Falls," is where Killswitch will convince most lingering cynics, and the ensuing "Rose of Sharyn" is arguably the group's most accessible single yet. // 10

Overall Impression: As you can tell, Killswitch Engage enhanced the choruses at the expense of the verses. Regardless, this CD definitely packs a punch any fan of Metalcore is sure to enjoy. The End of Heartache is a great purchase for any fans of KsE, and anyone who wants to get into the metal genre but doesn't want to listen to bands singing about Satan or unspeakable acts involving other humans. I recommend buying it if you get the chance. The End of Heartache only errs for making very few attempts to expand Killswitch Engage's general formula, good though it may be. // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2004

Sound: The first thing that strikes you about KsE's new album is how thick and chunky both guitars sound - it's like 'Black' era Metallica on steroids! The album opens with a syncopated riff very reminicent of Meshuggah but quickly picks up pace with a song laden with some heavy and quirky riffs. The drum sound is really heavy and Justin Foley is a much less punky drummer than his predecessor. Mike D'Antonio's bass playing is incredible and really gels together the whole KsE sound, complementing both the guitars and drums with his precise technique. The track of the album has to be 'Inhale/Breathe Life' as it combines an acoustic intro with some of the best riffs this side of Sweden, and also features some tasty pinch harmonics and is the only song with a proper solo! In short, this CD is damn good! Go out and buy it! // 10

Lyrics: It's a concept album! Don't run away just yet, but their is a definite thread running through Howard Jones' lyrics, which gives the album a sense of continuity. As far as vocal delivery, Jones had a great amount of control over his voice and can adjust to perfectly complement what the rest of the band are doing. The final track 'Hope Is' features some hardcore punk style chants which sound a bit wierd on record but would seriously get the room going when performed live. Former vocalist Jesse Leach also cameos but it's hard to tell where (I'm 99% sure it's on 'World Ablaze'), giving a nostalgic value for long-time fans. // 10

Overall Impression: This album definitly stands up to KsE's past works but builds on every aspect and is a sure improvement. I'd recommend this album for fans of In Flames, Soilwork, Shadows Fall, From Autumn To Ashes, Arch Enemy, Thrice and much much more. Any self respecting fan of good heavy music should by this album - your collection simply is not complete without it! It's That Good! // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: TheTallOne, on june 29, 2004

Sound: KsE's The End Of A Hearache is a kick ass metal disc. I've listend to some really heavy music, but when I heard Howard Jones' scream, I was in disbelief. I was instantly hooked on this album and I just couldn't get enough of it. Though a few riffs seem borrowed from a few other bands, I still like the albums sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a little cliche, and I could barely understand some of the words they say the first time I listened to them. This disc has alot of clean vocals that were pretty impressive. The lyrics are like a few other bands I know, like Lamb of God, involving all of this anti-war/bloodshed stuff. Its ok nonetheless. // 8

Overall Impression: This disc reminded me of Lamb of God and Shadows Fall, I like how the album switches between heavy/fast to soft/moderate. I like most of the songs on the album but the title track blew me away. If this were stolen I would instantly repace it. It is one of the best metal albums of the year. // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: bimsterfls, on december 06, 2004

Sound: Ok Killswitch has a great sound. The guitar isn't that crisp piercing sound that a lot of bands of this genre use, it's more of a hard chunky sound. The guitarist Adam Duckiewiczs pulls off great pinch harmonics and doesn't overdue them. Most of the verses consist of a pounding rythm section along with a heavy guitar and the wild scream of vocalist Howard Jones. Then the chorus becomes very melodic and you get a hold of the song. I would say Killswithch Engage's sound is very metal. // 10

Lyrics: Allright now the lyrics are also very good. They aren't those lyrics that you absolutley hate because they just tell you what the song is about without having to think about it, I would say the lyrics are pretty metal, and I would say that Howard Jones is a very talented singer he can pull of the metal scream and still do the melodic stuff, I'd say he's just an overall good musician. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall opinion of the album is that it is awesome. The members of this band are good at what they do and that is make great songs speaking of great my favorite songs on the album are "When Darkness Falls", "The End Of Heartache","Breathe Life" and "Rose Of Sharyn" though all the others are very good too. What I love about The album is how it get's you fired up and your adrenaline rushing like a good metal album should do and at the same time still has a great melody not just a barrage of thrashing instruments and vocals. There isn't anything I hate about this album at all and if you like Shadows Fall, In Flames, Atreyu, or Killswitch Engage's last album Then you'll love this one. If I lose this album I will pick it up again in a heartbeat and for those who don't have you should get as soon as you can. // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: BrofUJu, on january 03, 2005

Sound: Killswitch Engage has a fairly unique sound. The blend influences from Gothenburg bands like In Flames, to modern hardcore bands, to even melodic rock. All this melded together manages to give Killswitch a fairly unique sound. Songs are usually built up of verses which are mainly harcore sounding. Growled vocals are usually used during these parts, and the guitars tend to be palm-muted, and chugging away, often with lead harmonies thrown in. Choruses are melodic, and usually in half time. To most people, this will seem strange, going from brutal in your face verses, to soaring melodic chrouses, when in fact, not only does this give a nice break from the brutal harcore choruses, it works incredibly well, and all the choruses to all songs are standouts. This is where Killswitch stand apart from many other Metalcore and Hardcore bands. Unfortunately, many verses can end up sounding very similar, and quite repetitive, as they are usually made up of the already mentioned down-tuned 'chug-a-chug' riffs. Also, on this record, there are 2 guitarists, as they hired a new drummer to take over Adam's spot, where he moved to guitar, along with their guitarist which they already had from the previous 2 albums. As for production, the production is amazing, and is absolutley monsterous during the whole album. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are a huge stand out for the band. Instead of acting emo, and whining and complaining of their problems, or singing about the worlds flaws and problems, they offer hope for a new day, sympathy, and optimism. This is another unique thing to the band, compared to other modern metalcore bands, and is a big standout. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is great album, where you feel like every track is great, including the 2 instrumental acoustic breaks, "Inhale", and "And Embers Rise." Album standouts include "When Darkness Falls," "Rose Of Sharyn" and the title track "The End Of Hearatache" If you are into the new wave of american heavy metal, or like melodic metal that isn't wacked on speed, you should pick this album up as soon as possible, it really is just a great overall album. // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: npg, on march 07, 2005

Sound: Alive or Just Breathing was an albumn which I felt could spell the end of KSE as I felt they would not be able to live up to it, but I was proved majorly wrong! The songs are slightly more traditional in structure than previous and more accessible making it slighly easier listening but this is one heavy as f--k albumn! The production is amazing, rarely do bands sound this good. Every song has a chorus to die for, this is inspirational stuff! // 10

Lyrics: Howard Jones has a slightly broodier and darker tone to his voice than Jesse Leech which complements to chugg of the guitars perfectly. The lyrics are brilliant, again conveying hope and love rather that hate and self-pity, just wish more band could do the same. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the best metal albumn of 2004 and they are totally worthy of stardom. The re-release with te re-recording of irreversal and the new track 'My Life For Yours' is a gem! Tracks such as 'World Ablaze' and 'Take This Oath' prove they are one of the finest bands on the planet. Put the CD in your player, light the fuse and prepared to be totally blown away! // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: fireguitar, on april 04, 2005

Sound: Now that KSE has a new lineup their sound has changed for good or bad depending on your opinion. Nevertheless for metalcore and heavy metal they have a unique sound. These guys are talented and have a good sense for music but the one thing I wanted was more solos. On track 6 it had a short but decent solo, but I kinda craved for more. The talent is there its just what they are willing to do with it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were decent. They weren't bad but they weren't excellent. What I found while listening to the album was that a lot of the lyrics are about breaking free, breaking the chains that hold you back. It didn't get old but some new topics would have been welcome. At least its not emo and suicide lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: A great CD for anyone who likes metal or even modern mainstream metal. These guys are without a doubt up there as the top ten best metalcore/heavy metal bands out there. The best songs are Take This Oath, When Darkness Falls, Rose Of Sharyn, Breathe Life, the title track and Wasted Sacriface. It's not the heaviest music you'll hear but it's some good headbanging. // 8

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: notbychoice, on january 26, 2006

Sound: This is a good hard slab of NWOAHM I believe the kids call it or metalcore. Basically its metal with rythmic hardcore breakdowns and a lot of technique in the guitars. The one thing that Killswitch seem to pull off better than other metalcore bands is the construction of there songs. The arrangements on this album are superb. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are my only real gripe on this album. Jesse's lyrics were about hope and optimism why examining the corupption of self. Howard never seems to get that deep. On songs like Rose Of Shayrn (a song about his granmother and also a reference to the bible if I'm correct) and When Darkness Falls (how mankind changes during dark times) are brilliant but the others are either about love or breaking free. If I never heard jesse before this would rule as it is. It's just not the same. // 8

Overall Impression: This album definately spearheads the whole metal core genre, and its easily one of my favourite albums due to the amount of thought behind it however the progression from "Alive.. Or Just Breathing" may alienate sdme of there "core" fanbase. If it were stolen, I'd probrably just listen to the windows media audio of the album, anyway a worthwhile purchase. // 10

The End Of Heartache Reviewed by: Eurasian_C, on july 26, 2006

Sound: Killswitch Engage is the reason why I have a passion for metalcore music. The band truly has an "all-star" line-up now, with Howard's soaring and crushing vocals, Adam and Joel's melodic and heavy riffing, Mike's bass wielding, and Justin's fast double bass beats. "The End of Heartache," along with All That Remains "The Fall of Ideals," is one of the best CDs that I own now. Every time I listen to it, I'm blown away over and over again. Compared to "Alive or Just Breathing," there is more of a melodic feel to the music. Either way, each song has the ability to hit a person like a ton of bricks! The guitars have really improved since the last album. I'm extremely impressed by the composition of each song. It's really become unique in its own way. One of my favorite songs is "Rose of Sharyn" because of the overly complicated chorus harmony. Another one is "Breathe Life" for the chorus. The choruses in each song are really soaring because of the riffs; Adam would do more of the power chords and rhythm while Joel may add a bit of a picking melody to make it sound dynamic. This is also the first Killswitch Engage CD in which they incorporated a solo! In "Breathe Life," Adam pulls off a really "blues" kind of solo and it fits perfectly! The overall sound is killer. Definitely get this album if you like really heavy riffing! This CD is great for metal rhythm guitarists out there. // 10

Lyrics: People were worried about Killswitch Engage having a new lyrical direction when the band hired Howard Jones as new vocalist. However, Howard shows that he has the same lyrical views as former singer Jesse Leach, and he incorporates those songs with songs of his own personal writing style. For instance, you have the more "Jesse" type of songs like "Take This Oath," "A Bid Farewell," "Declaration," etc. followed up with more emotional songs like "The End of Heartache" and "Rose of Sharyn," a song that was written in dedication to his deceased grandmother. Howard's vocals, in my opinion, are better than Jesse's for the following reasons: First, the screaming is audible (one can understand the words); second, the singing is a lot more crisp and one can definitely tell that he's had training (he and Adam take vocal lessons from Melissa Cross); third, he has a more dynamic, almost god-like booming voice. Jesse definitely has a great screaming and singing voice, but as one would find out later, Jesse used more emotion than technique, and with that being the wrong way to scream, Jesse blew out his voice. Great job to Howard on this first effort! // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say that this record is as excellent as All That Remains "The Fall Of Ideals"(both produced by Adam Dutkiewicz). As goes with sound, Killswitch Engage really has its own unique heaviness and quality. It really does knock you on your ass! The best track on this whole CD in my opinion would have to be "Breathe Life." The chorus is just so powerful and Adam's small solo fits perfectly. And when I say that it's the best track, that's really not saying much; all of the tracks on this CD are awesome! The band definitely scored well with Howard Jones on vocals. Apparently, Phil Labonte from All That Remains was capable of taking the position! I love everything about this CD. Killswitch Engage are the USA Kings of Metalcore; no getting past that. There is absolutely nothing on this CD that I hate. If you are a big hardcore/metal fan, you have to get this CD! Quite frankly, if someone were to steal this from me, I would "bid farewell" to that asshole as I throw him down somewhere deep. // 10

More Killswitch Engage reviews rating latest review