Lizard Review

king crimson: Lizard
Release Date: 1970
Label: EG
Genres: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Album Rock
Lizard is very consciously jazz-oriented and very progressive, even compared with the two preceding albums.
 9.2
 8.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Lizard Reviewed by: NineInchNails_0, on march 09, 2006

Sound: Another great album. Out of all of King Crimsons album, this one is one of the best. The sound is incredible. King Crimson sounds like no one else does, and this one is to be loved. Take a look at the song Lizard. That one starts out with some kind of flute, and then they kick in with the piano, and after that, Robert Fripp plays some awesome chords in the chorus. And the instrumentals are better than ever. Again, in the 22: 24 minutes long song Lizard (Yeah, it's a long song) the instrumentals grows on you. I couldn't sop listening. They are highly enjoyable. Indoor Games, is a jazz inspired song with the low snare drum and the saxophone. Really shows out King Crimsons wide range of music styles. But as said, what they're best known for are their instrumentals. They will blow you away, trust me! The drummer Andy McCulloch is awesome! He has serious skills, and gets it just right with the music itself. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very interesting. We have Gordon Haskell on the main lyrics, and he has a phenomenal voice. I love the lyrics and they match perfectly with the music. How one can time it so right, I don't know. Fripp kicks in exactly at the right time, and then, after a while, the flutes and saxes come in as well, on the exact same tone and there, voila, you have a perfect instrumental. They have really got when it comes to timing and when they play the instrumentals and when the lyrics kicks in again etc. You will love this! Gordon Haskell is one hell of a bass player. He can find all of the right tones matching with the lyrics. A little extra is Jon Anderson of Yes that sings the lyrics in Lizard. Gotta love that! // 10

Overall Impression: This one blows the others away (except for a few of them). It's one of my best purchases ever and I love it. The most impressive songs from the album are Cirkus (6:28), Indoor Games (5:38) and the most impressive one, Lizard (22:24). I really love the instrumentals more than ever. They're freaking great! Sometimes I just can't get enough. Like stated above, they grow on you! There's nothing to hate. Really nothing. No more jamming like in Moonchild (but that's an incredible song anyways) and, it's all perfect. If this were lost or stolen, I would rebuy it. Defenitely. I would buy 50,000 copies and lock them all up in a safe. // 10

More King Crimson reviews rating latest review