Animalize Review

kiss: Animalize
Release Date: Sep 13, 1984
Label: Mercury
Genres: Pop-Metal, Arena Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Album Rock
Although a commercial success, Animalize was not nearly as strong as its two predecessors.
 8.2
 8.3
 8.1
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Animalize Reviewed by: jamiedonnelly93, on april 23, 2007

Sound: I would like to start of by commemorating the recent death of Mark St John who was the lead guitarist for Kiss on this album, I thought I had to as his recent death has put me in a state of mind that it could happen to anyone and also that I hadn't actually reviewed this album yet. 1984, Kiss' second album without make-up, their first album Lick It Up seemed to go down well and the title track became a huge song in strip bars all over the world, not the best Kiss album to ever be released but it isn't the worst either. Animalize is a better album, meaning no disrespect towards Vinnie Vincent, Mar St John is a much better guitarist than Vinnie Vincent as Vinnie made some of the most tuneless guitar parts I have ever head, he might not of done them in Kiss but in bands and projects such as the Vinnie Vincent Invasion he made some complete crap. It's really sad what happened to Mark St John after only recording one album with Kiss his hand ballooned causing him never to play with Kiss again. Anyway the sound I would give an 8, it's a good sound and was a sound that was popular with the time but just wasn't the sound we have been used to hearing from Kiss for the 10 years previous. // 8

Lyrics: If any of you have read my previous Kiss review you will notice I never fail to praise the singing skills of Paul Stanley and also of Gene Simmons and this album Is no different, I think that if you were to put Kiss on now and then put on Animalize you will be able to see how great of a singer Paul Stanley has come on, and Gene also. I think the lyrics are also good, but are typical Kiss talking about sex, you only had to take a look at the Heavens On Fire Video to see just how sex fueled these randy fellows are. Again if you compare this to earlier Kiss albums you can definitely see how much more talented they have become, now I know that Mark St John and Eric Carr weren't in the original lineup but they are still talented musicians. Eric Carr even taught himself to play guitar and bass! Like Kiss always do I think the lyrics go fantastically well with the music and it gives the album that edge to show how good the arrangements are. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this Kiss album is that it is good, it is better than Lick It Up but not as good as say Crazy Nights. I think that if you were choosing which KISS album from the '80s to buy I would probably buy Smashes, Thrashes and Hits which is just a greatest hits album but Eric Carr sings Beth and there are two new additions, You Make Me Rock Hard and Lets Put The X In Sex. Again showing how into sex Kiss are. I think that all Kiss fans should own this album really. I must say I love the album art work, The Zebra, Leopard and Tiger fur on the front dazzled me for week when I got it the only bad thing is that the back of the LP looks somewhat gay. I think that if this album were lost or stolen I would definitely go out and but it again, and probably buy Crazy Nights again just for good measure. // 8

More Kiss reviews rating latest review
+ Alive! 9.3 01/20/2014