Asylum Review

kiss: Asylum
Released: Sep 16, 1985
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Mercury
It features the debut of lead guitarist Bruce Kulick, who played with the band on their Animalize tour and officially replaced Mark St. John in September 1984.
 7.4
 7.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Asylum Reviewed by: StarChildSammy, on march 26, 2009

Sound: After changing 3 guitarists in 3 years Kiss decided to hire Bob Kulick(who played guitar for Paul Stanley's first solo album) brother Bruce Kulick and to produce a new album. Like Animalize, Lick it Up and Music from The Elder Kiss continues their unfocused period of time and a more distance from their rock and roll roots, the only song that might grow your interest in this album is the hit Tears are Falling. The Sound of this album is a more unique than Animalize but it's too similar to the pop-metal bands of that time. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album might be one of the worst lyrics that Kiss ever wrote in songs such as: "King Of The Mountain", "Anyway You Slice It", "I'm Alive", "Radar For Love"."I caught the tail of a hurricane and I've never ever been/I went out on a limb, gotcha under my skin, well alright". What is the meaning of these lyrics? Even a die hard Kiss fan like me would find a torture to explore the entire album or all the lyrics of the songs. C'mon every fan of Kiss and Paul Stanley would know that his voice will never change and would be great in every Kiss album even it would be good or bad. // 6

Overall Impression: I must admit it, this album without "Who Wants To Be Lonely", "Tears Are Falling", "Uh! All Night" would be a completely waste of money because the rest of the album is "a chock-full of nondescript fluff". The things that I love of this album are the sound, the three songs that I mentioned, the cover of it, the debut of guitarist Bruce Kulick, and his solos on this album. Even if it went platinum after it was released there are even die hard fans who would hate it and die hard fans who will vote it as their favourite Kiss album which would be their key of their souls and the theft of it would cause them to kill the thief. // 8

More Kiss reviews rating latest review
+ Alive! 9.3 01/20/2014