Creatures Of The Night Review

kiss: Creatures Of The Night
Release Date: Oct 10, 1982
Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Casablanca
By 1982's "Creatures Of The Night", KISS had finally ditched their plans of becoming "respectable artists" and had come to the realization that they were a loud, no-holds-barred heavy metal band.
 9.3
 9.2
 9.4
Creatures Of The Night Reviewed by: Firehawk2410, on december 12, 2012

Sound: This is probably the most underrated KISS album, and one of the most underrated rock albums overall. The reason is most likely because Ace Frehley didn't actually play on it, and because it was the third without Peter Criss. But don't leave yet, because it has something we don't usually get on a KISS album: Hard rock and metal on every track. Word of warning though, if you hate 80's hair metal to death, don't buy it, because "Creatures" is a straight-up hair metal album. But even though KISS had to rely on a handful of different session musicians, the sound is thunderous and the solos are face-melting as a good KISS has, except times ten. When you hear the first riff you'll think you got a mislabeled CD, but fear not, it is KISS, but just going farther than they've ever gone before in the heaviness department (which is probably a result of the exceptional drumming talents of Eric Carr). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical of KISS album; they aren't very deep, and there are probably innuendos in there somewhere that I haven't caught yet. But they work and they're catchy as usual, especially on the track "I Love It Loud" which has become a popular KISS song over the years. Paul Stanley is as great a singer as ever, and Gene Simmons sings the lower-keyed tracks with passion. However, it seems that just when Ace Frehley got enough guts to let us hear his voice, he took his Alice Cooper-esque vocal talents away from KISS along with his even more famous guitar skills, and there is a definite hole in this album where the Spaceman's songwriting should be. // 9

Overall Impression: This is probably one of the top 5 best KISS albums to date, and probably my personal favorite. The title track "Creatures Of The Night" is a superb full-throttle rocker. "Keep Me Coming" has a hint of KISS' pop and rock 'n roll history embedded while "Rock And Roll Hell" and "War Machine" are head-banging metal anthems. "Saint And Sinner" captures the trademark hard rock sound we've come to love from KISS. The least impressive song is the power ballad "I Still Love You" which lasts a long 6 minutes... Far more than it needs. Also, the archetypal 80's guitar sound takes a little getting used to on a KISS album. Even if you're the most hardcore Ace Frehley fan you'll find something to like here. This album shows how good KISS really are despite the setbacks of members leaving. Give this album a try, even if you haven't heard much about it before. I love it so much I listened to it three times in one day.

// 9

Creatures Of The Night Reviewed by: Page/Rhoads, on december 22, 2007

Sound: This album is a great rock classic that was lost in time. Kiss sounds great with Eric Carr on the drums and Vinnie Vincent actually does a good job on guitar. This is a very great Kiss album that displays the songwriting talents they possess. It is a straight foward rock album but also includes a ballad or two. It's also the last album they made before removing their makeup. // 9

Lyrics: Gene and Paul do a great job as usual. The lyrics are based on sex, love, and rock and roll. They use the right singer in the right songs. Gene sings the lower key songs, while Paul sings the higher and more difficult stuff. The lyrics for I Still Love You are very moving. The main focus of the words for the album are all about power and rock. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of my favorite Kiss albums. Even though both Ace and Peter are gone, it's still great. Eric Carr (RIP) is one of the greatest drummers of all time, and Vinnie Vincent, well, he does good. The best songs are Creatures of the Night, I Still Love You, War Machine, and Rock and Roll Hell. It's a great rock album that shows why there are still so many members of the Kiss Army. If it were stolen, someone would get hurt. Bad. // 9

More Kiss reviews rating latest review
+ Alive! 9.3 01/20/2014