Destroyer Review

kiss: Destroyer
Released: 1976
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock
Destroyer is one of Kiss' most experimental studio albums, but also one of their strongest and most interesting.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.1
 9.1
Destroyer Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2004

Sound: The overall sound of this record for a 70's era album is quiet nice. The effects are a plus in songs like Detroit Rock City, God Of Thunder and Do You Love Me. Bob Ezrin is a true genius behind the board. The guitars are up in the mix; as they should be and the vocals by Paul, Gene and Peter sound amazing. This is not my favorite Kiss album, but it has moments of Pure Brillence. // 10

Lyrics: I'd like to start by saying Paul Stanley really broke out on the lyrics on this album. Tracks like Detroit Rock City, Do You Love me and Flaming Youth are a true statement to how he can see what inside of the fans and sing what they believe in. Bob Ezrin worked well with the guys on the lyrics and made a great mix of arrangement. The vocal talents of mr. Stanley come through on many of the tracks, and Gene started to develope a vocal on this album. To end the best track is beth which is the first true power ballad and peter criss finally got his due as a first rate vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: This album ranks among the best in the hard rock Gene. The song writing amazing the guys sing about what all of us teenagers and young people were thinkin about at that time. Does it have the impact of alive? No, but it stands the test of time as a true gem. This would be an album I'd take to a deserted island. I really have no complaints I think it just rocks. // 10

Destroyer Reviewed by: metalcore16, on june 10, 2009

Sound: This is the Album, that turned Kiss from hardcore rockstars to comic book heros, here to stay. While the sound of the record differs from the first three studio albums, the songs are faster, the guitars more metallic, and a different sound, the album is strong. With teenage anthems, "Shout It Out Loud" and "Flaming Youth" and songs about sex, groupies, "King of the Nighttime World" and "Sweet Pain" and the opening track "Detroit Rock City" which is about the true, tragic, story of a teenage KISS fan who dies on his way to a Kiss concert. The sound effects used in "Detroit Rock City", "God of Thunder" and the hidden track, were at the time of 1976, high tech, and gives the album a snapshot in time, that is still solid after all these years. While it isn't as hardcore as there first albums, I belive it deserves a 9. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, give the album a concept almost. The lyrics, are about sex, "my sweet pain", and teenage anthems, "my parents think I'm Lazy, man if they only knew" or "shout it, shout it out loud, you've got to have a party." Give the album a concept because it shows how the songwriters, can reach into there fans, and pull out what they feel and make it into something they can understand. Also a highlight on the album, the ballad "Beth" shows the sensitive side to the band. Although the lyrics and feel to "Great Expectations" and "Beth" are not rock n roll in a sense, the rest of the album is pure rock and rebillion. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of Kiss's timeless albums, highlights include: Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Flaming Youth, Shout It Out Loud, and Beth. Although not as rocking as previous albums, very good. The production is fantastic, and the lyrics are timeless. If I lost this album, I would do anything to get it back, because it is so amazing. // 9

Destroyer Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2004

Sound: The sound on Kiss Destroyer is like most 70's hard rock. The album has a Alice Cooper and AC/DC vibe. Some of the tracks are a lot more hard rock then the others. There is excellent guitar playing on this song by Ace Frehley and Paul Stanley. The solos were aswome. Gene Simmons and Peter Criss were also amazing at doing what they do best. // 10

Lyrics: Like many other Kiss songs many of them are about sex. Others are about groupies. Some of the tracks were teenage athems like "Shout It Out Loud" and "Flamming Youth". Paul Stanley on vocals was awsome and so was Gene Simmons. Peter Criss also added a nice touch on the classic ballad "Beth". // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other Kiss albums this one is the best. It is up there with Alive and Dressed to Kill. The most impressive songs are "God Of Thunder", "Shout It Out Loud." It captured an era when Kiss was at it's best. If only they had remained so and didn't sell out. // 10

Destroyer Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: This album was their greatest studio album ever. They really ventured from their simple yet hardcore rock n roll. When asked about their more modern rock appraoch frontman Paul Stanley replied saying "We are growing as people, and so are the fans." The overall sound on this album is much better than their previous studio releases (Dressed To Kill had the worst audio I've ever heard). The added effects in God of Thunder and Detroit Rock City are good, but the children wailing in God Of Thunder weren't nessacery in my opinion, but the car engine sounds were perfect in Detroit Rock City. Peter Criss really had some solid drum licks and fills, and Gene Simmons bass in God Of Thunder was really heavy! // 8

Lyrics: Let's face it, Kiss wasn't in rock n roll for the music. They were in it for the girls, money, and fame. The lyrics in Detroit Rock City and Do You Love Me are the album's best. Beth also has some great lyrics, and I think it is one of their best lyrically. Paul Stanley really worked hard on writing Ace's guitar parts and it's great the way they mesh in with Paul's voice. Gene's creativity wasn't represented as much as it was in their previous music, but he still wrote some killer lyrics with Paul. Overall they did a fine job with their music, but not so much with their lyrics. // 6

Overall Impression: Destroyer is Kiss' best album of the '70s. Too bad Ace Frehley wasn't very interested in playing on the album! Bob Kulick (brother to later Kiss member Bruce) played the solo in Detroit Rock City and the entire Sweet Pain song. Sweet Pain is the worst song on the album, and what's with the crowd cheering thing at the end of Do You Love Me? That didn't need to be there. Beth, Shout It Out Loud, and Detroit Rock City are the best songs on this album. Kiss writes great rauchy rock and matches it up with party all the time lyrics. Good job boys, but stay away from the concept album. // 8

More Kiss reviews rating latest review
+ Alive! 9.3 01/20/2014