Kiss Review

Released: Apr 1974
Label: Casablanca
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock
Along with 1976's Destroyer, Kiss' self-titled debut is their finest studio album, and has only improved over the years.
 9.5
 9.2
 9.7
Kiss Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2005

Sound: Back in '73 most critics wrote off Kiss as a joke and a band that wouldn't last. They became one of the best metal bands ever here's where it started. The solos by "Space" Ace Frehley are great. The sound is kind laid back metal like "Cold Gin" but Track 10 "Black Diamond" has an unbelievable energy that I can't even describe. Definitely check out Track 7 "Deuce" which was the first song the band ever played together. // 10

Lyrics: Considering this was their first album the lyrics are pretty good on most of the songs. 2 tracks in particular I did not like "Let Me Know" and "Kissin' Time." The lyrics in these songs were just not good. "Cold Gin" had probably the best lyrics on the album. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is fantastic and very fun to go back and listen to and remember the early days of "The Hottest Band In The World Kiss". "Deuce" is probsbly my favorite song on the album. My least favorite song was "Kissin' Time." If this album was stolen I'd find the sob who stole it and spit blood on his sorry ass. // 10

Kiss Reviewed by: jamiedonnelly93, on march 31, 2007

Sound: The albums sound is really gritty and dirty but in a good way, the distortion sounds really amazing because it isnt amazing but it has that retro feel to it. This bieng the first Kiss album it wasn't really a big hit when it came out and wasn't until 1975 when Alive! came out that people went back and bought the old albums and realised what they were missing out on. You can see Peter Criss' roots on this album and especially on Nothing To Lose as it has such an R'n'B feel towards it wheras Gene, Paul and Ace have more of a Led Zeppelin Classic rock kind of playing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are a bit too cliche but they are very good, their is a sexual innuendo in Nothing To Lose, which is in reference to anal sex, 'Before I had a baby, We tried everyway, I thought about the backdoor, I didn't know what to say'. But all of the lyrics are cleverally put together. All of the lyrics go well with the music and the overall vocalists are very good, however in years to come Paul Stanleys vocal range increases massively. // 8

Overall Impression: I believe that this album is unique, as it has its own sound, its own musical influences and its own feel to it that no other band really has on albums anymore. All of the songs are impressive of the album but if I had to choose one song of the entire album that stands our the most it would have to be Deuce. The intro riff is amazing. the solo is amazing. the lyrics are amazing. The song just has so much feeling to it and such a great energy you just want to headbang to the song for ever. If I had lost the album I would go out and buy it again, however this is not the strongest of Kiss albums. But it is a great album. // 10

More Kiss reviews rating latest review
+ Alive! 9.3 01/20/2014