Peter Criss Review

kiss: Peter Criss
Release Date: Oct 1978
Label: Casablanca
Genres: Pop-Metal, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock
Peter Criss' effort was one of the most undistinguished of the bunch, lacking hooks on either the pop-metal rockers or the power ballads, as well as personality throughout.
 5.7
 6.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Peter Criss Reviewed by: jamiedonnelly93, on april 23, 2007

Sound: Peter Criss, was the drummer of Kiss from 1973-1980 and then again from 1996-2003, and was respectively known as Catman, for his cat make-up. In 1977 Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were going through rough times with stardom, drink and drugs and suddenly went all egotistic and wanted to go solo. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley both knowing just how strong the band were at that time and how much this would affect the band decided the band would release a solo album for each member but put it down as a Kiss album. Peter and Ace both agreed and I am now to review my first of all 4. The sound, 1930's a 10 but 1977 a 6. Peter Criss' roots being R 'n' B you can definitely see that in this album but you can also see that he was the weak link in Kiss at that time, through the weak lyrics he has wrote through to the disappointing drumming. Out of all the drummers Kiss had I would say that Peter is my favorite and it was really disappointing knowing that a person of such quality could produce such a let down of an album. However on a positive side the album art is awesome. It's kind of sinister but innocent at the same time and gives you that powerful image that Kiss had. // 6

Lyrics: I hate criticizing albums from bands I deeply love when they're a let down, and this whole album was. The lyrics were really bad. The only lyrics I didn't think were bad and that he actually sung well on was the cover Tossin' And Turnin'. I think the singing skills aren't really good either which again was a let down because on such Kiss songs as Beth and Hard Luck Woman, he sings greatly, it's so sad to see a person go from hero to zero in the space of one album. However on a more positive note I think the singing goes well with the rest of the instruments, so the arrangement was done very well but saying that if you look at the tracks they seem all crackly, now maybe Peter intended this going back to the early more unique and antique style of singing. // 4

Overall Impression: The overall impression that this album has left on me is a 5, seriously don't buy this album unless a die hard Kiss fan collecting their discography, go out and buy Peter Criss' Cat #1, Cat #1 is a million times better than this album and features some awesome songs, also Beth is on the album and Ace Frehley plays guitar on it, on Beth it is played identical to the way it was played on MTV Unplugged. The most impressive songs on the album aren't really that great but are probably Tossin' And Turnin', Don't You Let Me Down and That's The Kinda Sugar Papa Likes. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again but that's because I have the Kiss discography otherwise buy Cat #1 which is quite rare so you might only be ably to find it on eBay. // 5

More Kiss reviews rating latest review
+ Alive! 9.3 01/20/2014