The Millennium Collection: The Best Of Kiss Review

kiss: The Millennium Collection: The Best Of Kiss
Release Date: Aug 5, 2003
Label: Mercury
Genres: Album Rock, Arena Rock, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Pop-Metal
This compilation presents the highlights of the first half-decade of Kiss' existence, drawing from recordings originally released between 1974 and 1979.
 9.4
 8.7
The Millennium Collection: The Best Of Kiss Reviewed by: screechy, on march 13, 2006

Sound: When I got this album I had heard Kiss a number of times before and to own the album ruled. I love the sound and clearity of the music, especially when Gene Simmons sings Rock 'N' Roll All Nite. For the sheer amount of songs Paul Stanley sings, and he is awesome. There is a little bio in the inside about the first 10 years of Kiss, which is neat to learn that at first they set all there gigs and shows up until they got signed. For the fact that the songs were from the '70s, they are quiet heavier then bands like Zepplen and Eagles. I love Rock 'N' Roll All Nite and Love Gun, but I wish Shout It Out Loud was on here as well. I love all of Kiss' slow songs such as Beth. All around I love this sound of this album. // 10

Lyrics: I like the names of a lot of their songs, such as Strutter and Duece not many other songs with names like that. The lyrics always seem to comply with the music which is awesome. I love the singing skills of each Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons they still rule at rocking. // 10

Overall Impression: I've seen the Kiss Sympathy which tells for sure that Kiss sounds just as good live as they do on the CD. To me the best songs all around are Rock N Roll All Nite, Love Gun, oh just the whole album, the people who made this album selected good. I love everything about the album and wouldn't change any thing about it. If it were lost or stolen I would have to by another one cause everyone needs a Kiss Fix. // 10

The Millennium Collection: The Best Of Kiss Reviewed by: mattfm, on september 06, 2006

Sound: This is Kiss in a nutshell. All of the songs are pretty standard. Most of them just have guitars, bass, and drums. You can translate the band name to the sound: Keep It Simple Stupid. It's a straight forward rock sound, with the exception of the song "Beth". Distorted guitars, basslines just following the chords, and simple beats. It's what makes this a great band, but it can get tedious. There is a little bit of live action in there on "Rock And Roll All Nite". All of the tracks are fairly short, no longer than 4 minutes. About the song "Beth", it was written and sung by Peter Criss, and the interesting thing is no band member performed on any instrument. Criss is complimented by a piano and a string orchestra. It is a huge difference for a band that otherwise is purely hard rock. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly about rock n' roll. Some are about women too. Paul Stanley kind of sounds like every other hard rock voice, but good nonetheless. Gene Simmons did a good job on "Rock and Roll All Nite." The lyrics are really good, but they could have had other themes besides rock n' roll. // 8

Overall Impression: Another 20th century masters. it's a good compilation. The best songs in my opinion are Rock And Roll All Nite (live) and Beth. I love the simplicity but I don't like how a lot of the songs sound similar. Otherwise Kiss is a great band and they have a lot of good songs. I probably wouldn't buy this again because it was on sale, unless it is on sale again. // 7

More Kiss reviews rating latest review
+ Alive! 9.3 01/20/2014