Funeral For Yesterday Review

kittie: Funeral For Yesterday
Release Date: Feb 20, 2007
Label: Merovingian
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
Lyrically and musically it completely surpasses any of their previous efforts. It's totally different, but keeps the signature Kittie sound.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.4
 8.9
 7.8
Funeral For Yesterday Reviewed by: CrosseGod18, on march 10, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album is very dark. The instruments on this album are the most technical to date. Mercedes has definitely become more precise, with double bass, more technical fills, and better cymbal choices. Morgan has definitely improved as well. She has always shown audible improvement from record to record (especially from Oracle to Until The End), however this album has definitely shown how far she has come. With fast-paced, very precise, just plain awesome riffs (especially Witch Hunt), to her voice. Oh, she can sing. Vocal harmonies, highs, lows, to primal screaming this record has it all and I find that highly appealling. This is Tara McLeod's first album with Kittie and she has brought something that I love but have not heard in any Kittie record before, solos! Fast-paced lead licks over Morgans riffs to shreddy metal solos (Flower of Flesh and Blood, Never Again), I was highly impressed with her performance and believe that she will bring a lot in future records. Trish Doan had known Morgan and Mercedes for years before she joined the band and I gotta tell ya, she does such a better job than the numerous bassists before her. She plays a five string bass which definitely fattens out songs a lot more. Some impressive bass lines and a flare for rythmn you can tell she isn't just another filler, she will definitely be in Kittie for a while. Overall, I was more than impressed with the growth of the girls individually and even happier with growth of the band overall seeing as how they are one of my favorite metal bands. // 10

Lyrics: As I have said this album is very dark. I have a feeling that most of these songs were at least started right after their split with Artemis and they were feeling bitter and betrayed. The lyrics for Never Again and This Too Shall Pass are prime examples. Morgan just has a way with words, there were actually a few times on this record when I couldn't help but headbang along and say "Hell Yeah!" Especially with her primal screaming, vocal harmonies and intense emotion in her voice. You can tell that those lyrics and screams came from the heart. I have to say that her vocal ability has increased dramatically // 10

Overall Impression: I will say if you are a fan of older Kittie records as I am, this may be a shock to your system. I understand, I was huge fan of their other albums, especially Until The End. Before you write them off just know that the screaming is still there. So are awesome drum beats, killer bass lines, ass-kicking riffs, shreddy solos, and some great singing. This album a snapshot of who they are as a band right now, a kick-ass snapshot I might add. A well rounded forty seven and a half minute declaration that they're still here and aren't goin' anywhere. it's actually a little inspiring to think of all the stuff they've been through and then listening to how far they've come. If this album were lost or stolen I would definitely buy a new one right away, such a great album from such a great band. // 10

Funeral For Yesterday Reviewed by: shabutie86, on june 04, 2007

Sound: I was really impressed listening to this new Kittie CD when I downloaded it from Itunes, they really changed their style up from their more frantic sound from when they first started to this more cleaned up version of kittie. But loyal fans don't fret none, the cat's claws have been trimmed not removed there is plenty on this album to love. The songs sound more contained, it has a more clean and clear sound and is more clearly "metal" and sort of gives off a girl metal band from the '80s vibe to it. The guitar playing sounds more professionaly done this time around. // 7

Lyrics: A lot of the songs deal with the same sort of lyrical situations and have to deal with heart ache, getting over someone they loved, or depression in general and even songs about getting over all those things and moving on. The lead singer of Kittie's voice has taken leaps and bounds, and even though a lot of her singing is now in a clean vocals there are plenty of low growls and screaming for the hardcore fans of Kittie since their early days as teens. There's something here for everyone if it's hardcore fans of the girls since their early days or new to the band, there is plenty to love here. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is probobaly one of the most underrated albums of 2007 so far, there hasn't been a lot of press for the album save for a small article in a guitar magazine. The most impressive songs on the album for me are at least the single "Funeral For Yesteday" which has a bit of a pop-ish metal chorus that is sure to be a single for the radio, another favorite song of mine would have to be "Will To Live" from the synth intro to the lyrical chorus it's an overall wonderfull song and in my opinion probobly the best song on the entire album. I love this album for it's daring and the new sound it has, I hate it because it does seem to get redundent after awhile and the songs seem to all sound way too similer. // 7

More Kittie reviews rating latest review
+ In The Black 7.2 09/21/2009