Oracle Review

kittie: Oracle
Release Date: Oct 30, 2001
Label: Artemis
Genres: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal
Kittie returns from their debut album much, much angrier than before.
 8.8
 9.7
 7.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Oracle Reviewed by: colourofanger, on january 23, 2006

Sound: Oracle was the album that came between the hormonal "Spit" album and the recent, mature "Until The End" and this is probably when Kittie sounded best. The style is heavy and clean, these women play like they don't need to prove themselves or show off to anyone in a male-orientated genre. There is an extreme amount of talent on this album, yet it is completely free of the standard, boastful, squeaky and speedy riffs found in other metal albums. The vocals shift between flawless growling and crystal clear melodies, with none of the previous almost-spoken-word efforts that can be found on "Spit." // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are twisted and enigmatic. They lack in specifics and leave a lot to the imagination when it comes to the violence portrayed. "Mouthful Of Poison," for instance, begins with a sharp, held note singing "Blood spilled, heart-felt, head filled, play dead" and continues into an almost mocking i-told-you-so. The following song "In Winter" continues a theme of violence and what seems like an apathetic observation of the world with, "And they hung you there under that tree. It's a coldhearted world" and "Playing life makes death so good." The song "What I Always Wanted" is one of the best on the album, and seems to reflect a certain possessiveness in only a few words, "focus bliss" and ends with "I got what I wanted. I got just what I always wanted." One small positive moment on the album comes with the song, "Safe" where the main reflection is, "It's a wonderful reality" in an almost melancholic tone. Unlike other bands who combine clear female vocals with heavy music, Morgan Lander doesn't need to perform an outstanding aria to sufficiently contrast with the music; she hits the note, holds it and it sounds fantastically haunting. // 9

Overall Impression: This album seems to have slipped away in the midst of all the current talent in metal music, but it should have, despite resonating painful shyness, which perhaps reflected the difficulties the band had with the line-up at the time. The best songs on the album are the first three "Oracle," "Mouthful Of Poison" and "In Winter" as well as "What I Always Wanted" nearer the end of the album. When I first bought this album I had never heard anything like it. It is as heavy, haunting, warped and disturbing as an album could possibly be and is full of the femininity that the metal genre needs and yet lacks. I find this album to be pretty much essential, honest and outstanding. // 10

More Kittie reviews rating latest review
+ In The Black 7.2 09/21/2009