Greatest Hits Vol. 1 Review

korn: Greatest Hits Vol. 1
Released: Oct 5, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal
If money is a concern, however, and you can only afford one Korn disc for your collection, don't think twice about picking up Greatest Hits.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.2
 9.7
 8.6
Greatest Hits Vol. 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 09, 2004

Sound: This is a collection of the most well known (all the singles basically) Korn songs, spanning their whole 10 year career with epic, I think they released it to finally get out the 7 album deal (it was not only for that reason, they did want to release it anyway). The sound should be familar to any Korn fan, Loud, hard and angry. As the title suggests, it is a greatest hits collection not their best songs (unlike Manson's lest we forget), but I love every korn song anyway, so it doesn't really matter. The album comes with two fantastic covers, Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall" which is great and is the first time we hear Korn play a solo on an album (if you see them live Munky or Head will usually play a few bars of shread) and Cameos "Word Up" I love the orginal (80's pop is one of my favourite genres), but Korn do word up and another brick in the wall justice! // 10

Lyrics: I love Korn's lyrics, the latest studio album (Take A Look In The Mirror) didn't have the korn lyrics I was looking for, don't get me wrong I love all that album, I just think the lyrics was very inarticulate. Anyway back to this album. The lyrics are very good and really well sung. Jonathan Davis has a unnique singing voice that I love. // 10

Overall Impression: If your new to Korn and don't know were start, or want a Korn compliation, buy this now. I am only giving an overall rating of 3 because there are boxsets's much better then this (not song wise, just has loads of extras etc). // 6

Greatest Hits Vol. 1 Reviewed by: pHaKe, on january 04, 2006

Sound: This is 10 years of great Korn music (1994-2004) packed into 1 CD. Which is great, it's a great CD, but some of my favorite songs were the ones that no one's heard about that didn't make the Greatest Hits. This CD has most all of my favorite songs ever by Korn. And the added live concert of them at CBGB's isn't bad either. For the people who don't know, Korn was one of the founding fathers of present-day metal. With their 7-stringed guitars and 5-string slap bass they've made the new metal sound, but they also made a sound of their own. This is the last CD made by Korn before they went to their new music style which is not as good as this. I'll still stand by Korn either way, but I truley don't like their new stuff. No more slap bass, and their guitarist 'Head' found god and left Korn, it's just not the same. But, back to the Greatest Hits CD, If your a Korn fan or a metal fan, you must buy this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Jonathan Davis has some great vocals. Though people might think Korn is just another screaming metal band, but Korn isn't all that. Sure, they have alot of screaming vocals, but some of their songs have real lyrics, and some songs (like Make Me Bad and Alone I Break) are more subtle and softer. Also with their cover song of Another Brick In The Wall (origionally performed by Pink Floyd) is truley amazing. Also they have screaming songs (Ya'll Want A Single and Right Now) are great too. Especially Ya'll Want A Single which is them basically them yelling at the media, "I've done this, but you won't let me say this is my songs. so, if ya'll want a single say f--k that" or atleast I think that. // 10

Overall Impression: Korn Greatest Hits, a must have if your a fan of the band. With all of their greatest songs like Blind, A.D.I.D.A.S, Clown, Freak On A Leash, Got The Life, Falling Away From Me, Twist (just simply crazy), Here To Stay (my all-time favorite Korn song), Alone I Break, Right Now (2nd all-time favorite), and Ya'll Want A Single (3rd all-time favorite). This is a great CD by my favorite band of all-time, Korn! I would definately buy it, I would buy it in a heartbeat. // 10

Greatest Hits Vol. 1 Reviewed by: canadian_woo, on december 08, 2004

Sound: The music on this album is absolutely amazing. It really showcases what an awesome metal or hard rock band Korn are. From the metal tracks taken from Take A Look In The Mirror (Right Now, Did My Time & Y'all Want A Single) to the experimental tracks from The Untouchables (Here To Stay, Alone I Break) to the more familiar korn from both Issues & Follow The Leader (Trash, Somebody Someone, Make Me Bad, Falling Away From Me & Got The Life, Freak On A Leash) and finally to the very early Korn On Life Is Peachy & their self titled debut Korn (Twist, A.D.I.D.A.S, Shoots & Ladders, Clown & Blind) there is even two cover tracks at the start of the album Word Up (Cameo Cover) & Another Brick In The Wall (Pink Floyd Cover )so you definatley get value for money and a good mix of sounds on this album. // 10

Lyrics: I have always been a fan of Korn lyrics. They are dark and very easy to relate to in some cases. The lyrics always seem to suit the music perfectly and I guess this is what drew me to Korn in the first place. In my opinion I think Jonathan Davis has a very distinctive & maybe one of the best voices in metal music today. // 10

Overall Impression: Being a greatest hits CD I cant say it is Korn best album but it definatley has almost all of Korns songs on it making it one of the best greatest hits CD's to come out this year. I think the most impressive tracks on the album are: Freak On A Leash, Make Me Bad, Falling Away From Me, Y'all Want A Single & Another Brick In The Wall. If this cd were stolen or lost I would not hesitate to buy it again I think Korn are definatley one of the best bands around. // 10

Greatest Hits Vol. 1 Reviewed by: myampgoesto11, on february 23, 2006

Sound: Korn saved rock. Without it, rock would have died. Back in '92 punk was old, hair metal died, and MTV was looking for hip-hop. But soemwhere near Death Valley, 5 kids from Bakersfield with 7-strings tuned lower than a standard bass, a bassist with a definate hip-hop vibe going on, a drummer who anchored it with a blend of power and percision, and a singer who used the stage as a shock-treament lab scared the hell out of everyone. Except the kids. Their heavy sound reaches out to the fed-up and pissed-off everywhere. // 10

Lyrics: Whatever Jonathan does-sing, scream, whisper, wail-it sounds awesome. And he sings about something that means something, which is why Korn doesn't include lyrics in their CDs. Aside from Twist, it all sounds listenable. // 9

Overall Impression: Their 7-strings make "heavy metal" look like squeals. Those who call their band heavy metal, eat your heart out. Every single song on this ablum is awesome, and the covers of Word Up! and Another Brick In The Wall make it even better. // 10

Greatest Hits Vol. 1 Reviewed by: DimeRazorback, on january 09, 2007

Sound: My impression on the bands sound and music is great. I love Korn, and thanks to them I got into metal and out of rap. This album is a collection of their most popular songs, and the music style is rap metal or nu-metal, one of my favorite albums ever probably. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for the most part are pretty dark, angry, and aggresive. You can definetly get a feel for John's anger, and if your a really angry 13 year old that gets made fun of in school like I was when I got into Korn, you can really relate to the lyrics, especially on the older releases (Clown, Blind, Shoots And Ladders, Somebody Someone). The lyrics comply with the music very well, usually the sludgey dark 7-String guitar riffs go very well with the lyrics, like I said, they always do a good job of getting the listener to get a feel for the mood of the song. John's singing skills are very impressive. He is one of the better singers/songwriters around in my opinion, he writes a lot of raw, up front type of lyrics (Falling Away From Me, Trash, Right Now, Yall Wanna Single), and he also writes much deeper lyrics (Alone I Break, Blind, Got The Life, so overall I think he is a very good singer/songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: Yes, it obviously does compare to the other albums because of the fact that it's the greatest hits album. The most impressive songs in my opinion are Somebody Someone, Blind, Shoots And Ladders, Trash, Freak On A Leash, Got The Life. The thing I love about it is it's Korn, it has a lot of classic Korn songs, if I wouldn't have bought this CD in 7th grade (first metal CD I ever bought) and found something to relate my anger with, I'm not kidding, I probably would have either killed myself, or someone else, that isn't a joke either, that doesn't mean that every mental patient should start listening to Korn, but hey, I got picked on and didn't really have friends, this Korn album was the only friend I really had, honestly, Korn pretty much saved my life. What do I hate about the album? To be honest their's only one thing I dislike about the album, that's that it doesn't have Thoughtless, or Faget on it, but other than that, nothing. If it were lost or stolen, first I'd have a corny movie flashback of me and my Korn cd's best times, then I'd go buy another copy. // 10

More Korn reviews rating latest review
+ The Paradigm Shift 7.5 11/01/2013