Korn Review

artist: korn date: 04/18/2011 category: compact discs
korn: Korn
Released: Oct 11, 1994
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Angry, Bleak, Visceral, Detached, Nihilistic, Wintry, Paranoid, Ominous, Menacing, Intense, Harsh
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
 Lyrics: 9.1
Korn Reviewed by: Bu||eT, on october 17, 2005

Sound: This album is by far Korn's heaviest album. With downtuned 7 string guitars and Fieldy's clicky bass with lots of little bass solo's every now and then. Most people will wonder why there are no guitar solo's. They thought it was overused in that time. If you think they can't do them then you are wrong. On the Deuce DVD you can see 2 solo's by both. There is also a song with bagpipes that Jonathan Davis plays called "Shoots And Ladders." The drums sound great. An aggresive snare really gives this album the aggresive feeling. Also, the best part of the album is that it doesnt really follow the verse-chorus-verse rule. New parts are very unexpected most of the time. I'll give this a 10. // 10

Lyrics: Jonathan Davis has had a lot of trouble in the past and therefor there are very variated lyrics. Dominating lyrics as in "Divine" and "Lies" which feels like he is talking to you. And also lyrics with the "Why?" feeling to it. As in Ball Tongue and Daddy. My personal favorite lyrics are "Fake" which is about how you should be yourself. "Look at you, all I see, is a man too afraid to really be." Jonathan Davis aggresive voice really completes it. He screams, sings, cries, whispers, scats and does everything. // 10

Overall Impression: I will give a review of each song here. 01. Blind - a great choice that this song is the opener of the album because of the build up intro. At the end of the intro Jonathan Davis says: "Are You Ready?" and then a simple yet effective riff blows you away. Also the first single. This song sums Korn up. It's about how f--ked up drugs are. 02. Ball Tongue - I think this song is about the life of someone that does all this shit to people. A great aggresive intro with a creepy effect in the verse. Great backvocals by "Head" who has recently left the band. 03. Need To - an unpredictable song the whole time. It has a main riff that varies the whole time. Changes by the bass, drumms or guitar just make it a little different each time. The drumms by David Silveria sound pretty cool in the chorus. 04. Clown - another classic by Korn. Singled. Another anger song. You shouldn't listen to this when you are Drunk Or High. 05. Divine - one of my favorites. As I said these lyrics are very dominating and it seems like he's talking to you. Too bad the song isn't too long. Only 2:51. The bridge is good. 06. Faget - yeah, everyone should hear this song. After the 3rd chorus it keeps surprising you with new things again and again. 07. Shoots And Ladders - another single. It starts of with bagpipes. Then the rest joins in and it sounds greeat together. The lyrics are childish which fits the song perfectly. 08. Predictable - nice riff. The vocals somewhat annoy me in this song. Although they fit perfectly with the song. I like it though. 09. Fake - great song full of energy which suddenly gets into a slower part of the verse. The lyrics are one of the best ones of the albums. The chorus "Let it all go" fit well with the music. The song sums up that you should be yourself no matter what happens. 10. Lies - a song where "Head" sings the chorus while Jonathan screams his part. They did that nice. Once again dominating lyrics. "I smile, while you're afraid." I think this song is one of the heaviest. 11. Helmet In The Bush - very underrated. Everything sounds so low in here. If I'm right this is about Jonathan having sleeping problems and wanting to die. 12. Daddy - this is about Jonathan being raped if I'm not wrong. When Jonathan says "It's Alright" an amazing bridge comes in where you can't deny banging your head. Buy it. I bought it two times already because I've lost mine. // 10

Korn Reviewed by: Spike6sic6, on october 27, 2003

Sound: It's KoRn's first album and it's one of their best,if not the best. This is the album that started their carreer, it's definatly good. The original KoRn sound, with catchy and strange guitar riffs and heavy bass lines. // 10

Lyrics: Jon Davis has always been a good lyricist and singer. He has an unique voice and that's another thing defining KoRn's sound. Lyrics are good and original. // 8

Overall Impression: We can't really compare KoRn because they have their own sound. This album was actually the best from them. Best songs in my opinion are "Clown" and "Lies". I would definitely buy it again.I'd recommend it for every nu-metalheads. // 8

Korn Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: This is one of the top 3 albums of all time. Jonathan is one of the best singers ever! He can like a maniac ang sing like an angel. Head and munky come up with good riffs, easy but good and creepy and evil sounding like daddy and shoots and ladders. Fieldy is a good bassist and also comes up with evil bass line like in Daddy. Davids druming is a little repetative but it fits well with the songs Jonathans voice is amazing and inspired me to sing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Jonathans lyrics are hateful and angry and depressing just like alot of kids are today and you can relate to what he's saying. The only album from them with lyrics this good in my opinon is untouchableslyrics go well with the dark tone of the album especially on the most disturbing song I have ever heard "Daddy". The way he sings sounds alot like corey from Slipknot the scream then sing then girly kind of singing. Jonathan-great singer and lyricist. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is flawless best album ever! If it was stolen 1000 times I would by it 1000 times. If you don't know Korn and you want to check them out buy this album you will not be dissapoited especially if you are a fan of nu-metal they invented it. Korn-best band ever! // 10

Korn Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2004

Sound: Munky And Head really bring the 7 string to life here. They can be thick or lighter in sound but they rock. Fieldy's bass is extraordinary. The chunky sound he makes is almost like a drum kit. Top marks. The drums are also excellent but a little repetitive. Jon Davis' vocals are great though. He can be melodic or pshycopathic. An excellent sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are really touching, as the album is mainly about Davis' childhood, when he was abused by his parents, strangers and classmates, which create an eerie and creepy sound. Many lyrics by certain metal bands are meaningless but Davis' lyrics make sense and are very touching. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is unique and in a class of it's own. The most outstanding tunes were "Blind", "Ball Tongue", "Shoots And Ladders" and "Daddy". This is a must buy. // 10

Korn Reviewed by: lamp-band.de.ms, on july 20, 2004

Sound: Very good! If you like Korn (the band) you'll love this album because this is the only album with non-stop 7-string heavy music (on the other LPs are a lot of songs added chink and clash sounds) - for short: heavy, distortet, stomach pushing. // 10

Lyrics: I know only a few singers who can get so deep in their lyrics. Jonathan Davis voice sounds well in every category (singing, screaming, whispering, crying) rarely lyrics are so emotional! In Daddy he starts crying. // 10

Overall Impression: This album wrote history and it's in any case one of the greatest albums ever. For those who's favourite albums are Untouchables And Issues - this album has no 'special effects' it's only the heavy Korn sound! The best songs: Blind, Clown, Faget, Shoots And Ladders, Fake. // 10

Korn Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2005

Sound: This is without doubt, Korn's best album. You can feel Davis's anger, frustration, and pain course through you as you go from one track to another. The music is nothing short of awsome. Head, Munky, Fieldy, and Dave do an exellent job at making that gutwrenching heavy sound that Korn is so well known for. Besides "Life Is Peachy," all the other Korn albums seem to focus mainly on the weird sounds, but this album is just straight kick ass metal. The heavier the better! // 10

Lyrics: Davis' lyrics are ingenious on this album. His overwhelming anger against the people who made fun of him is exactley what needs to be said. Anyone in high school who has ever been an outcast can relate to ever word spoken. His abuse from his father is expressed deeply in this album to. The song "Daddy" is the pinical of those feelings. Angry writing is the best kind of writing in my eyes. // 10

Overall Impression: This is without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best albums ever made. You could listen to this album over and over again, and everytime it would blow you away. I would recomend this album to any rock/metal fan. My favorite songs are "Blind," "Clown," "Shoots And Ladders," "Faget," and "Daddy," but the whole album is unbelieveable. If I lost this album, I would go out and buy it again the second I found out it was missing. // 10

Korn Reviewed by: KoRnHead, on march 01, 2006

Sound: Most bands on their first album realy screw it up but Korn rose up to the ranks. Most people didn't want to give them a record contract but epic and immortal gave them a chance and boy did that pay off. They truly created the standers for nu-metal and keep riseing them higher. Befor they came along music wasn't as rebelious and hateful plus very few people had heard Munky & Heads low tuned 7-string guitars and Fiedly's hip-hop bass riffs. // 10

Lyrics: From start to finish they keep your attention. The way they came in with John yelling "Are you ready?" was a realy good question. They had a great mixture of soft, moderate, and heavy songs and they all are unique. I also liked how in "Lies" they let Head sing the chours and how he said Ball tounge in "Ball Tounge." They realy let out their inner deamonds and make people think. Last as I have said in other reviews may of their songs people can relate to like in "Clown," "Fake," and "Lies." // 10

Overall Impression: The closest comparison I can make with this album would be with "Life Is Peachy" and "Take A Look In The Mirror" because of how heavy the are and the song simularites. I personly felt that "Divine" was the best song because of the vocals, guitar, and bass riffs. I can't say anything on this album was bad because they did so great puting everything together. If this album was lost or stolen I would buy this again and by it for all my friends. // 10

Korn Reviewed by: KoRnBizkit16, on november 14, 2007

Sound: I personally think this has got to be Korn's heaviest music (at least when you compare guitar tones). Munky and Head tear the shit out of Steve Vai guitars, Fieldy's bass riffs are driving and funky, drums are heavy and unsettling. and Jon's vocal technique pretty much takes the downtuned, disoriented sound to a new level. Something about the downtuned, distorted 7-string guitars and clicky, punchy bass solos that every other Korn album surprisingly lacks. I personally liked "Follow The Leader" and "The Other Side" a little more, but this record will hopefully go down in history as the start of the nu-metal revolution. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing on this album. Jon's vocal skills flow great with the music and create a dark, kind of eerie feel as you listen. "Here I am, different in this normal world. Why'd you tease me? Make me feel upset?" are some of the feelings JD has about his unpleasant childhood. it's probably not a good idea to listen to this music if you're high, drunk, or just plain pissed off tho. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, by far is Korn's catchiest and lyrically genius work to date. Most artists first albums are usually never this good. each song usually has the same feel, but a seperate message. // 10

Korn Reviewed by: aenimafist, on may 23, 2008

Sound: This album was released in the early 90s which was the time period that really fronted the beginning of the nu metal explosion. Korn was such a band hailing from "Bako" Cali with aggression and prominence of self. Korn's first tracks are always cool and blind has to be one of the best of them. It is kind of eerie the way the drums start off and the guitar parts bump in at their proper points. The guitar lines that go into the rest of the songs on this album Clown and Shoots and Ladders especially give this album a dark overtone. // 10

Lyrics: John had a lot of problems at the time this album was being written. He had a wife, he was doing meth, and he was struggling to find lodging with the rest of the fellas. Most of the lyrics are about him and his issues. Ball Tongue is the name of the band's first manager for those of you who don't know and the song is about dealing with him. Clown has the absolute best lyrics because of the sheer aggressiveness that goes into the song. John's queer-ish voice also adds an aire of haze. // 10

Overall Impression: This was Korn's major breakthrough into the world of music. The launch of this album helped them front the nu metal wave and paved paths for other artists to follow. The seven-string guitars they used were also revolutionary and caused other bands like Mushroomhead and Meshuggah to follow in their steps. The best songs on this astounding debut album are Blind, Clown, Ball Tongue, Faget, and Shoots and Ladders. // 10

Korn Reviewed by: Clinbabvu, on june 24, 2008

Sound: This is the begining of Nu-metal. Jonathan on vocals. The roaring engine that was Head and Munky on guitar. Fieldy laying down hip-hop bass lines. David laying all his might into his drum kit. Head and Munky innovated the downtuned 7-string guitar. Fieldy is tearing apart his bass on songs like Ball Tougne and Need to. David shows true skill in songs like Faget and Predictable. Jonathan opens the world up the possibility of wrighting your feelings. Not the happy love a girl kind of feelings. He wrights the dark stuff, rape, bad relationship kind of feelings. All amazing stuff. // 10

Lyrics: Jonathan Davis in my opinion is my greatest inspiration for music wrighting. He started the whole write your feelings movement. His vocals are very, very unique. He can growl with the best of them and at the same time sing a sweet melody, not that your finding a sweet melody coming from this man. This CD showcases his pain and suffering. Daddy is about someone raping him and his parents not caring. Need to is about not wanting to get close to someone because he was afraid of being hurt again. No one comes close in my opinion in singing skill and writing ablity. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this one amazing CD. Every single nu-metal band owes their existance to this band and this CD. Linkin Park, Godsmack, Mudvayne, Slipknot, all of them would not even be famous had these 5 didn't start the trend. The most impressive songs, ha, all of them. Any metal fan would be doing themselves a favor by buying this CD. If stolen, somebodies ending up in a body bag. If lost, my house is coming down to find it. // 10

Korn Reviewed by: Dasherisnmydog, on november 27, 2008

Sound: "Korn" is quite a disturbing album if you ask me but musically it was okay, I always love nu metal bass lines and the guitar is pretty cool on some tracks the drums were also good but it was really the vocals that turned me off as they come across as a little to angry for my taste and the music was horribly composed. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremley harsh and disturbed, I understand that the songs "Daddy" and "Faget" are on a very personal note but even still "Daddy" has horrible lyrics about child rape but I supose I shouldn't be to harsh considering it is a very personel song but the lyrics in all songs are not cleverly hidden under metaphors they just come out. // 2

Overall Impression: I personally think that Limp Bizkit is the leaste disturbed of all the nu metal bands, but don't get me wrong I hate them, and Slipknot is the best because they have very nicely composed music and a cool sound and they are pretty screwed up but Korn really pushes the envelope. "Daddy" was probably my least favourite track because, call me crazy, I don't really enjoy the sound of other peoples misery and that is exactly what I hear in "Daddy," 5 and a half minutes of what resembles a song then 4 minutes of the lead singer sobing and cursing over a semi-decent drum and bass track and after a while he gets a little tired out and starts to calm down and the beat in the back stops at this point it's nearly complete scilence which would have been an improvment. But on to a more positive note I really did enjoy the song "Blind" the vocals were still not great but it was somewhat less harsh than any other tracks. The song "Shoots and Ladders" is one I also enjoyed to a certain extent the vocals in this one were quite strange but still some what good but it gets heavier and starts to turn me off for a short amount of time before ending. Now I wouldn't own the album in the first place but if I did and it was stolen I wouln't lose sleep over it I would get the song blind and possibly shoots and ladders of itunes but that's about it. // 4

Korn Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on april 18, 2011

Sound: Korn are a very unique sound you can't actually class them as anything becuase they sound like noone else becuase they come from beyond what metal is. They have a metal orientation but some of there songs have a bit of a hip hop beat too it but more or less it is mainly metal. Munky and Head are the most entertaining guitarist to listen to becuase they play off each other wich is noticeable in the song blind. Jonathon is an incredibly talented man is voice is so very versatile wich is probably a main factor in Korns unique sound becuase he changes pitch, tempo and volume quickly and effectively. Fieldy is a great bassist his bass lines have a kinda hip hop sound to them but its what makes Korn so different to other metal bands becuase of the different styles combining. Dave is a extremely talented drummer his drumbeats are so intricate and they sound amazing. Mix all that together and you get Korn. // 9

Lyrics: Jonathon is an amazing songwriting and singer you can hear the passion and emotion that has been put into the lyrics through his weird and wonderful voice. The compliance is good because the lyrics take you on a ride through so many dreams and nightmares wich is what music is suppose to do right? Personally the songs on this album mean something to me because the lyrics in lies are what I want to tell someone to do open themselves up and let me help them. Shoots and ladders are a whole lot of Nursery rhymes sung and if you research they all have some sinical meaning like a ring around the rosie is about the black plague. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is my personal favourite becuase it helped through some tough times but also becuase music is kick ass. I love the songs Blind, Ball and Biscuit, Lies and Shoots and Ladders. I love this album for its unique sound and kick ass songs I just love it. The only thing I hate about it is that some of the verses sound the same guitar wise but thats like the most smallest imperfection nothing is ever perfect right? If it were stolen I soul kill the guy/girl with my axe(Guitar) and then take it back. Lost? First of all it would not be lost becuase i would make sure it doesn't get lost but if it did I would buy it again and again until I stop losing it. Overall BUY THIS ALBUM! its amazing and will take you no a journey. // 9

More Korn reviews rating latest review
+ The Paradigm Shift 7.4 11/01/2013