Take A Look In The Mirror Review

Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Bleak, Brooding, Visceral, Aggressive, Ominous
Styles: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal
Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: calires01, on july 26, 2004

Sound: This is an amazing cd. Well heres the math, their hate filled vocailst, Jon Davis, plus a duo of 7 string guitars, a rapper with a bass, plus a David with some sticks equals great sound. I am a great fan of Korn, they are my all time favorite band. It's the kind of thing that when you break up w/ your girlfreind cause she was cheating on u w/ your dad, and your mom is having an affair with the mail man, and you just received all you acceptance letters, and well you, you struck out, than than you get in the car all angry and listening to this makes everything better. // 10

Lyrics: Well it is heavy metal (the god of rock). To like it you have to be serioulsy traumatized, like me! Well anyway their basically yelling out their emotions, in relationships, the world, and sometimes just pure yelling for the fun of it. As I said, extrme talent, anger, and kilts are what make up good music. Just toss is some extra strings, and funny/jackass guitarist, another guitarist, a little better music is what you get. // 10

Overall Impression: It's an amazing CD, like all other great bands, they have maintained their image, and they have made about half a dozen cd's, all of them sounding a little different. I hate it when people say "we were influenced by..." That's pure bullshit, that the same as saying "we think this band rocks so we're gonna copy them, mention their name, maybe bite a few fingerings and lyrics as well" What I Get From Korn is ispiration and perspective. I play the guitar/ bass/keyboard/sax in a band called the C--S, I dont our name taken either. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: Horvat, on august 08, 2005

Sound: Korn's greatest sounding album since the "Self-Titled." This time around, the band have reverted back to their old aggressive sound, yet with much more experience in the bag. Each instrument's sound is much sharper and heavier than their previous albums, making each song sound much more composed and structured. They've implemented the weird sounds that they had come to use on Life Is Peachy and Issues, but haven't one over the top, still remaining true to the heavy riffs and rythms they're known for. "Right Now," "Break Some Off," and "Alive" are excellent examples of the album's heaviness, as are "Everything I've Known" and "Here It Comes Again" good tracks that reach on the softer side. The band seemed to have grown considerably on this album, both skill-wise and production-wise, each track doing them justice. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are especially emotional, but are not as sad or pessimistic as say "Issues" or "Self-Titled." The agressiveness of the music suits well with the lyrics - hard-edged songs with bold statements. It's refreshing to listen to some truly high-impact lyrics from Korn, though at times repeated lines do get annoying. The vocals on this album are up to scratch, on each and every track. Singer Jonathon Davis manages to push his boundaries on some songs, experimenting with different type of voices and effects. // 8

Overall Impression: If you are a fan of nu-metal or alternative metal, or want to try something original, this album is a great buy. I can safely say of the 12 tracks there are no fillers, which is great thing to see from Korn. What makes this CD great is it's diversity. Each song conveys different emotions, and tracks like "Counting On Me," "I'm Done," and "Did My Time" are especially powerful. Even though at times a few little quirks and oddity's throw some songs off-balance, it's a solid album produced by Korn, and if it got lost or stolen I would definately buy it again because it really portrays what Korn is like. // 8

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2003

Sound: KoRn is back, baby! No more techno mixed crap that plauged Untouchables...just jump around, screaming, kick ass moshing metal! Tons of cussing and head banging guitar riffs that created the first KoRn album. There is nothing really polished about this album...which gives it a great sound. Cool new drum beats, with the classic clanging sound put into some songs like "Right Now". Bass is sounding good too, like usual. This sounds a lot like the self-titled KoRn that was released 10 years ago, which is a damn good thing. // 10

Lyrics: Like previous KoRn albums, it's all about anger and hate. Just look at the song titles...Break Some Off, Deep Inside, When Will This End. Lead singer Johnathon Davis sings just as hateful as the lyrics are. However, the lyrics sound recycled as they always have with KoRn, which is dissapointing. // 8

Overall Impression: Just more KoRn being KoRn, which is great. This beats Untouchables for sure. With summer hits like "Did my Time" and "Right Now", this album will be monstorous. A live version of "One" (originally by Metallica) is included, which is a great bonus. 14 cool songs. If your a fan of the band then you better be sure to get this. If not, then take a listen first, then see if you want to pick it up. Oh yeah, there is a bonus DVD with some cool little extras too. It's definately worth buying. // 8

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 27, 2003

Sound: KoRn goes back to their roots with the really heavy sound that was heard on their first album "KoRn." If you havn't heard anything that's on "Take a Look in the Mirror" and don't really know what it's about, just take the raw power and energy that you heard on the first album and multiply it by a kabajillion. Every single song on the c.d. is heavy and will keep you headbanging. The only reason that I give this album a 4 out of 5 is because of the song "Play Me" which featured Nas. I hate rap and that is the only bad song on the whole album. // 8

Lyrics: Jonathan Davis has proved that he is one of the most unique and best singers in rock music today. His tweaked out voice that he can change in an instant gives you something that no other band does. Although he screams and roars alot on this album, you still get a change to hear is great singing voice. He is one of the few singers that makes all of that screaming shit sound cool. But after awhile can give you a headache. // 8

Overall Impression: So far I would say that "Take a Look in the Mirror" is the best KoRn album to date. The only flaws were the stupid rapping shit with Nas and all of the screaming, which isn't really bad, just so much of it gets kind of annoying. It's the best album that I've bought in years. I give it a 5 out of 5. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 28, 2003

Sound: This album was great. It blew away Untouchables. It really brought back the first two albums. The only rip off was "Play Me" because of the rap. But since Jon did sing some in it and that harmonic hum in the background it didnt sound too bad. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were really good and eye-cathcing. Right when you here it the lyrics stay with you. Jon and the abnd did really good with the lyrics and music on this album. I love it. But some of the lyrics brought back the first 2 albums which is good but it could have been a bit more original. // 8

Overall Impression: To me this is the best Korn album besides the first one. But it is really close. It is worth all of the money. and it also includes a cool DVD which makes it worth it. 13 great tracks then the bonus "One"(live)(Which was done on MTV's Icon- Metallica). I would recommend this album to nay heavy metal, alt. metal fan. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2003

Sound: This album has a brilliant sound, thanks to the brilliant guitar. KoRn have gone back to the sound of their first two albums which is very good. All of the songs are good, my favourites being "Right Now", "Counting On Me", "Deep Inside", "Did My Time", "Play Me", "I'm Done", "Y'all Want A Single". A great return for KoRn. The only bad thing is the screaming, which, because it is in almost every song, gets quite dull. // 10

Lyrics: Jonathan Davis has a brilliant voice, and always will do. The lyrics though, are not too special. The same lyrics, just different wording. KoRn are always singing about the same thing, and that's the only bad thing that I can find about the band. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a brilliant album, go out and get it right now! Follow the Leader was the best in my mind, and this one certainly comes close. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: cannonball_900, on january 08, 2004

Sound: Korn is still alive,after 10 years of rocking and changing the heavy music scene. 'Take a look in the mirror' is an album that is more of their old style albums like 'Follow the leader' and their self-titled album 'Korn'. The sound and riffs in this album are almost same in every song, and this is a shame,a very terrible shame. I agree that new guys have come in, but that doesnt mean the songs should be 'almost' replicas of the others. However,some songs like 'Did my time' are pretty good, and that's showing the full advantage of two guitarists. This album was a pretty mediocre effort, though if they ever get a new one out, they should change. // 6

Lyrics: Korn's lyrics are still same. Or rather, Jon is not willing to go ahead with time. If you've noticed, Jon has almost same lyrics in ALL of his albums,not only this one. But it would be better if he'd change,because the lyrics that he displays are full of hatred,pain and problems, that don't go too well with the sound of the instruments being played. They don't match. If someone wants to feel good, thinking, 'He's not the only one with trouble', he should read the lyrics, rather than listening to the songs. Jon should rather change his lyrics to 'How he fought the demon' or something, rather than what happens after fighting the big guy. // 4

Overall Impression: 'Take a look in the mirror' is an album that most of us will buy,thinking of how the new guys are,same case as in Limp bizkit's 'Results may vary'. Although the songs are almost same, most of the school bands can learn the songs and maybe just play them in the school concerts or somethin'.Because only a handful really go deep into music in a school,right? One little thing, even if you don't lose this album, get a new one like P.O.D.'s 'Payable on death', or buy Limp Bizkit's old stuff, cos' you're gonna get bored with this stuff. Email me if you've got different plans for this album.my email id is cannonball_900@hotmail.com... // 4

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: BassRamone, on january 19, 2004

Sound: This album is the same style since their 3rd album: nu-metal, but this time they are less rap-metal and a lot of heavy korn stickin' a finger in metal, songs are a little repetitive in tempo and song's structure, but that was the intention, to be raw. This album is really cool is very KoRn, a little different from previous albums, and feeling like they step in the right direction, korn actual music CRYES for a solo! next album album should be faster, and more hardcorish, 1 and 2 korn albums still are bibles of heavy. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are the same shit again, in voice jon goes melodical hate his girly vibrating voice, but love him when screaming lungs out and his old rapping/screaming percussive style but he doesn't do the thing in this album. Head's choruses are funny but great! // 8

Overall Impression: Maybe korn one of the last 2 albums is gr-r-r-eat. The cd book is full of ol' pictures of the band since day 1 that made me realize how the time goes on and doesn't stop 'till the end, but I will keep korn in my hearth because it has grown with me. This music in 5 or 8 years will be gold. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: weewood63, on february 16, 2004

Sound: This is by far the best album that KoRn have ever made. This album has realy went back to Korn's roots, it's dark with metal and rock, It has parts which are like rap and the part or two that is a bit hip-hoppish (not much, but just a smidge!). // 10

Lyrics: Jon Davies still puts in as much if not more emotion into the lyrics as before. He has to be the greatest singer for this still of music. All the words seem to go "hand-in-hand" with each other... e.g they sound like they are meant to be together. pure class! But OCCASIONALLY you do get fed up with all that emotion. // 8

Overall Impression: Again this by far the greatest album ever made by KoRn or in my opinion anyone else that I can think of. The best album tracks would have to be right now, did my time, y'all wanted a single...I could mention the whole album here as almost every trap is brill, with the exception of play me, which is because I don't really like rap, so don't like NAS, but the band play great throughout the whole song though. If this album was to break or be stolen, I'd be very annoyed but instantly get the album again. If you're only to buy one album this year make it's this one. It's awesome! // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: Deathbass89, on march 30, 2004

Sound: Can't get any better than Korn. To let you know I'm doing a review on Korn's 6th album, Take A Look In The Mirror. For those of you who don't know Korn, they are David Silvera (Drums), James "Munky" Shaffer (guitar) Jonathan Davis (vocals, bagpipes), Reginald "Fieldy Snuts" Arvizu (Bass guitar), and Brian "Head" Welch(guitar). The sound is awsome. The guitars sound so cool because the tuning is really low and this album has alot of heavy riffs. Fieldy's slap style has a lot to do with the sound of Korn. It is really powerfull, sometimes to powerfull like in the single right now, I think the bass overpowers the guitars a bit much. Overall, the sound that Korn makes is right for a Heavy Metal band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album is violent but then a gain, it is heavy metal, what do you expect, songs about flowers, bunny rabbits, and other cute furry creatures. The lyrics in this album is great but he sounds like that he has no self esteem. Don't blame him, he was picked on as he was a kid. Jonathan Davis (vocals) is a very talented singer. He could screem, sing softely, and sing regulary. On Take a Look in the Mirror, he screams more than usual. // 10

Overall Impression: From the looks of it, this album, Take A Look In The Mirror, is not comparable. All the songs in this album is great but if I had to pick the songs, it would be Right Now (Track 1), Counting On Me (Track 3), Did My Time (Track 6), Alive (Track 9), I'm Done (Track 11), and Y'all Want A Single (Track 12). The one song I didn't like was Play Me (Track 8) because it is a rap song done by rapper guest Nas, but when Jonathan Davis (vocals) sang that heavy part, that made it in my book. For the people who haven"t listen to the whole album yet and is reading this review, about 11:00 minutes in the song When Will This End (Track 13), It playes Korn's live performance at the MTV Icon with Metallica, they played the song One (track 4 off of the And Justice For All... album from Metallica). What I love about this album is that it has Fieldy (bass guitar) doing a lot of slapping again and the hard vocals Jonathan Davis (vocals) did. I don't really hate any thing about this album. If I lost it, Like I said in the Arch Enemy(Wages Of Sin) review, I would rip the house apart looking for it, and if I don't find, I will buy it again. This album, Take A Look In The Mirror, is definitly worth buying. It was nice doing this review. Korn rules, my favorite band. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 08, 2004

Sound: Great album, really heavy, but with lighter breaks and parts as well. Not their best album, thats follow the leader or untouchables, but still very good. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are good jon davies vocals are exelent. The lyrics and music run smoothly over each other and it gives a feel of anger so its good to listen to if youve had a bad day. // 10

Overall Impression: It is definately one of my favourite albums, the best songs are 'right now', did my time, and here it comes again. Here it comes again is my favourite as its one of the heaviest best sounding tracks on the album. if it was stolen i might get it again, but slipknot are about to bring out a new album so i might get that instead. // 8

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: lamp-band.de.ms, on july 23, 2004

Sound: KoRn gets back to the roots and is a lot heavier than in Untouchables! It's a mix of all the other Korn albums. There are very heavy songs, and songs with a lot of effects. And there's another bagpipes song! // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are good - of course it's Jonathan Davis! His powerfull voice tolds all his thoughts like "You all want a single? No man, I say f--k that!" - typically Korn! But there's less voice-change than in the other albums, nearly everything is in his 'standard singing' no crying and grabbish. // 8

Overall Impression: I think Korn did very well with this album! There is one song for every Korn fan and there's no song where you think "oh that didn't sound like Korn" (remember Untouchables). Best songs: Right Now, Break Some Off, Alive, Did My Time, Everything I've Known and Y'all Want A Single. So I think with this type of Korn-album everyone is happy! // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: KoRnHead, on february 28, 2006

Sound: This has to be the heaviest album Korn has put out to date not to mention one of the best. The intros are loud, the bass is very distinguished, and John has improved his singing. The title of the album makes perfect senes. It tells you to take a look into the mirror and a lot of the songs relate to that. They also had to release the album early because some how an unmixed version leaked onto the Internet. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the songs are hateful and rebelious, but there are a few that are slow tempoed. There was a lot of death metal screams in these songs. Most of the songs fit into everyday life and a lot of people can relate to them. John aloud Head to sing a lot and I believe that was a good choice because it added style instead of John singing all the time. // 9

Overall Impression: I think this album is one of a kind and Korn has realy matured. I felt Righ Now, Y'all Want A Single, Break Some Off, and Counting On Me were very diffrent from traditional Korn plus they were very unique sounding on the album. Also if you wait a while after when will this end you can listen to their cover of Metallica's One live. The only song I hated was Play Me because I can't stand anything that isn't a form of rock. The bonus DVD had some funny but cool footage from the Untouchables world tour, Here To Stay live, all there music videos cut up, and Right Now Mirror Mix music video. If this CD was lost or stolen I would buy it again and by it for all my friends. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: Samfisher21, on april 10, 2006

Sound: This album is a lot different to previose albums. Its sound has more 'pop' feel to it(Right Now, Everything I've Known, Y'all Want A Single). This is most likely why it has been successfull on the mainstream music charts. Davis's singing on is brilliant, Munky's guitar work is great and Head, Fieldy and Dave are great as usuall. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics vary with some songs having hate motivated lyrics (Break Some Off, Let's Do This Now, Y'all Want A Single) and others with an emotional feel to it (not emo). Y'all Want a Single has the most powerfull lyrics. In it the band is lashing out at the music industry for being to mainstream and not recognizing heavier bands. An improvement from other albums. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is not the best KoRn album but it's surely not the worst. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: execution_666, on june 11, 2008

Sound: Combine the intense sound of seven string guitars, a crushing low end bass, styled rhythmic drum beats, and brutal lyrics; you've got one of Korn's best albums. The style consists of metal sound with a pop beat if you will. Low tuned and heavy sound suits this album as well as vocals that rip you to pieces. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simply THE BEST. With songs such as Right Now showing very intense and brutal lyrics, John Davis takes Korn to another level of lyrics and lashing out. Along with saying things with meaning, John is a hell of a singer. He growls, sings, and screams. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album. I do wish, however, that the song "Play Me" would be removed from the album. I hate rap music. It doesn't add anything good for the album and takes away from the mood with the rest of the record. Other than that, this is when Brian "Head" Welch (lead guitar) was still in the band and when Korn was at the top and at it's prime. If it was lost or stolen, of course I'm going to go buy it again. My favorite song in the album is "Right Now" as mentioned above. // 9

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: jonesmethod, on november 25, 2003

Sound: Most people thought the days of Korn were numbered but here they are with another record, "Take A Look In The Mirror." The guitars on this album sound a lot more grungy, they have a really dirty sound to them, complemented by Fieldy's classic slap bass. It sounds more like their earlier stuff. Aside from that the music hasn't evolved all that much from the last album. So if you've been pleased with Korn's last album, or past albums you will probably enjoy "Take A Look In The Mirror." Even though Korn plays in a drop-D tuning on a seven string guitar, their music is more riff oriented than just straight power chords which has plagued the rock scene today. With a grungy sound, and low tuned guitars, Korn fans old and new, will probably enjoy this record. // 8

Lyrics: Nu-metal. That's all you have to say to sum up the feelings of the lyrics on this album. They deal with anger, and hurt in an agressive manner. If you've been a Korn fan for a while you will know what to expect to come out of Jon Davis' mouth. And as always the lyrics fit perfectly with the music. Considering Jon Davis sings about the same things all the time, he actually does have some versatility in his voice. He can growl and yell like no other, but can hit the high pitched notes as well. He is defintely one of the better nu-metal vocalists on the scene today. I also question what the hell rapper Nas is doing on the album. The song sucks. What the hell is up with that? // 8

Overall Impression: Comparing "Take A Look In The Mirror" to past Korn albums, it is extremely tough to pick a best album from their arsenal. It has a more grungy sound like their first two albums, so it is more comparable to the self-titled, and "Life Is Peachy" albums. Personal favourites are, "Did My Time, "Break Some Off," and, the cover of Metallica's "One," which is a hidden song on the last track. I like the fact that Korn has kind of gone back to their old guitar sound on this album. For all Korn fans past and present, buy this album. // 8

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 02, 2003

Sound: The sound on this record was very good. The heavy chourses on songs like "Let's do this now" and "Here it comes again" are some of the roughest and dark, angry sounding screams and guitar riffs KoRn has ever created. "Y'all want a single" seems to be a big "fuck you" to their record comany for putting them under pressure to right a hit single, maybe a bit of a joke, the song is kick ass. It has very awesome guitat riffs and just the entire song is very good. There should be no trouble picking another single frome this record, there should be atleast two more. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were typical jonathon Davis lyrics. Singing(mostly screaming during the breakdowns and choruses) mostly about the same old shit, pain, hate, etc. I think some of the best lyrics J.D. has ever wrote are from "Let's do this now", the chorus goes "Bring you down, mercy I can not alow, through your face, my fist will plow, watching as your blood pours down, let's do this now." // 10

Overall Impression: This album compares more to their first two (Life is Peachy, and KoRn). For some reason KoRn has not been able to top their first album according to probaly any korn fan but this comes very close to toping it. The best songs from the album are "Alive" (from their very first demo album), Everything I've Known", "Counting on me", "Here it comes again", and "Y'all want a single". This album is totally worth buying. You will not regret it. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2003

Sound: The down-tuned guitars of Munk and Fieldy are back, and Davis' haunting voice never ceases to amuse me. The sound quality of this album is great. The riffs are pretty simple, and anyone could learn how to play the album, but the parts are put together so well, it makes it fun to learn. Korn even gives rapper Nas, an appearance on "Play Me". The sounds of Take A Look In The Mirror are a mixture of all the sounds they've come up with so far. From the screaming hatred and heavy ass riffs, to the melodic tone of their fifth album, Untouchables, the band has done well with creating a good sounding cd. // 10

Lyrics: Although I think it's great that Korn brought back the sound of their older albums, the lyrics are very reminiscent, in which Davis sings about the pain and hatred in his life towards other people. Davis has, however, matured as a singer, as he mixes elements of his melodic, creepy voice, with his ever-so-gut-wrenching screams. A good mix, but some of the lyrics just remind me too much of all their other stuff. // 6

Overall Impression: I wouldn't say this is the BEST Korn cd, but compared to Issues and Untouchables, Take A Look In The Mirror is MUCH better. Some of the choruses can be really dull, but have really great verses, and vice-versa, so there's not that many really really awesome songs, just a bunch of good ones. The best songs to me are "Right Now", "Play Me", and the cover they did for Metallica "The One", awesome job there. Anyways BUY this cd, it's well worth it. // 8

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 25, 2003

Sound: Obviously the band was going towards a back to the basics type of sound. While this is good, and I liked Korn's earlier albums, they have evolved into a much better band, and this album shows that they can't really decide where to go next. The real high point of this album to me was the cover of Metallica's "One" at the end. This track proves that Munky and Head can solo like anyone else, though I thought that performing the whole song (including the tapping solo) would have been transcendent. // 8

Lyrics: Don't like Korn lyrics. Too negative. I've always been into their music more. // 4

Overall Impression: While this is a great album for the year 2003, it's not quite the best in Korn's catalog. Instead, I would recommend "Issues" as the best Korn album. // 6

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: (sic) Breed, on january 15, 2004

Sound: As we all are aware of that KoRn are a heavily Hip-Hop influence band, Take a look in the mirror I feel brings out the best of KoRn combining the original styles with the hip-hop we heard in "Follow the Leader". My impression into the sound of the album when I first put it on was wow!! KoRn have returned to their roots and gone for the grittier sound which was found on their self titled debut album "KoRn" as opposed to the more polished work seen on Untouchables and Issues. Munky and Head again pull off a brilliant one-two in playing guitar and Fieldy brings out the best of his bass whilst adding depth too the formidable precussion of Dave. // 10

Lyrics: The feeling is still there, nothing lacks and not only is Jonathan Davis excorcising past demons but Munky has had as much to do with the writing of the lyrics as the writing of the music. Again the shattering voice of a child like Davis who is yet to grow up is chilling over the melodic and heavy riffs combined with crashing precussion. Overall Davis has the best voice of any Nu-Metal singer, KoRn may have been in the game for a decade but Jonathan is still the man! // 10

Overall Impression: Firstly KoRn is never to be taken lightly, their message is for all the people in life who wish to "Follow" each other. Kids who are lost and are angry. Not only that, guitarists such as myself can learn a great deal about the styles of Head and Munky. The most impressive songs on the album are overall, all of them, for me "Alive", "Did my time" and "Y'all Want a Single" stand out. This album should be top of the list for Guitarists and Nu-Metal and Metal fans but is an essential album to anyone who dares to state that they listen to KoRn because without this album you haven't heard all the styles and tones of KoRn. Lastly I would like to say that the added bonus of "one" is the best cover on earth. Head and Munky play brilliantly adjusting the the song to Nu-Metal and Jonathan Davis sings brilliantly on the track (I felt his voice is better than James of Mettalica!) The cover is a sheer masterpeice and is one of the highlights of the album!! Now you have read the review, go buy the F*****g CD!! // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2004

Sound: Take a Look in the Mirror was heavy. Korn said they would return to there roots and they did. That is why I didn't think much of this CD. I want to hear something different from Korn. I used to be a hardcore Korn fanatic. But after Untouchables I kinda strayed over to Marilyn Manson. His sound always changes. It is not constantly heavy. Manson uses different styles to make a new sound each CD. I loved how melodic this was. Major improvement. Munky Head where are the solo's, I heard that Yall were gonna put one on this album, but I was dissappointed once again. I want to hear a KoRn solo. My brother once told me "Those who can solo do solo" Can you solo? Can you? // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically I thought was good. I like the death metal roars in songs like Break Some Off. I know Your life was Screwed Up. But do you have anything else to sing about. You are very talented I know you can do better. Politics. Anything. Just sing about something else. // 6

Overall Impression: The best songs I thought were Let's Do This Now, When Will This End, and I'm Done. Those are about the only songs on that CD I listen to anymore. If I even listen to it. If it was stolen it wouldn't bother me too much. I have like 4 copies and 1 on my computer It is worth buying if you like Korn. If your just getting into them - don't bother. I loved how melodic this was. Major improvement. But it will never be as fresh as their first album. // 6

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2004

Sound: Well this album is pretty raw like their first album, the guitars and bass sound more raw then ever. This album strips metal down to its bones. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't so good in this album as other albums. Jon is definetly not as emotional as he was in the other albums. In this album he steered away from personal issues and started to talk about social issues. // 6

Overall Impression: This is definetly not as good as Korn could get. They haven't been that good since after issues. If this album was stolen I probably wouldnt care. // 6

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: taylormemer, on february 18, 2005

Sound: Through the eyes of five musicians, who led similar yet differing lives, Take a look in The Mirror's sound drew back towards Korn's earlier era's, moving into deeper aspects and vigorous styles. The overall sound for this particular album was somewhat a statement for untouchables with a more quirky experimental sound, where as this album was more grainy, and has a dirtier sound. The album years styles taken from ther first, but also I feel pinches of Follow The Leader added in, all this making a soup of heavy guitar riffs, slap bass, and dosile heavy drumming. Innovations are not to be seen in this album, for now Korn remain what they always have been from where they begun. Korn (the album) was an innovation where as this is like a mutation of the first with every other album added in. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, the Korn remain with their typical lyrical structure. Using rather simple lyrics which time in with the rhythm like many other band who lead similar styles. I would say Korn's lyrics are their downpoint, on all albums of theirs. Lack of meaning is passed out, and basically it relys on a rather typical free verse style which yearn's not much complexity. Another factor the springs to mind is that on each album, their meanings for songs remain rather the same. Hate is the initial feeling, and with it all, the music actually reflects in the same way inducind a lack of progression through each album. On the other hand, Jonathan Davis' voice can alter the perception of the lyrics dramatically. His voice during the screams and growls is usually very heartfelt, and this is what he is quite good at; expression. // 6

Overall Impression: I think the accent of this albums among their other creations is a good one, to say the least it was good to see some traditional Korn, however there a quite a few points about the album in which I didn't admire all that much. This involved: rather untimely transitions between different sounds. This influenced a disjointed approach to some tracks, in particular Let's Do This Now and Deep Inside; David's drumming style is to be expected again as it has not budged from it's original position for when they started, as are the guitars. But the album was better then some of their previous albums. A couple of good points would be: a fairly well composed album, claiming a few different styles, that push the envelope for the music a little more; some good rythms which can be quite catchy at times. I do not own this album, but would probably buy it due to the fact that I respect the fact that they are musicians, and for that will respect and give the music a chance. What will Korn come up with next? Time will only tell and I hold some anticipation for it, hoping it will differ from all the rest in many ways. // 8

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 29, 2005

Sound: They gone back with less effects on this record. I like the opening riff to "Right Now." It's very cool. The song "Play Me" fetured Nas and it's been great to listen. The coolest thing I've ever heard is their performance of "One" by Metallica in MTV Icon: Metallica. It took me a blistering lot of fast forward button pushes on my CD player. // 8

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are quite impressive and a lot of attitude. Jon Davis didn't ripped his reputation as one of rock's foulest mouths. I love the lyrics to "Y'all Wanna Single." It tackles some illegal downloading, mainstream, something like that. // 10

Overall Impression: Korn is the greatest influence in my life man. I'm a pissed off youth who listens to Korn about 11 years old and it's all worth it. What I hate sometimes is no guitar solos in this record but that's ok. It will never be stolen because I hide Take A Look In The Mirror in a safe place. // 10

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 12, 2005

Sound: Why this album got a '9' rating is beyond me so I'm taking it down to a '4' because that's just about how much it's worth. They say they wanted to get back-to-the-basics and well I guess you say they tried but failed miserably. The bass clicks of Fieldy get obnoxious and way overtuned. This album is obvious that it was self-produced because frankily JD is a good musical composer but needs a little guidance when it comes to producing an entirety of a record. I know now that this korn has changed to something totally new and will never be the same Korn again, which is fine with me but they just don't evolve and give us a sound that is accepting to my ears and that doesnt do the band justice. It's almost like bad metal. They're trying to re-invent but not doing a good job up to this point. // 4

Lyrics: Lyics have always been brilliant from Jonathon Davis, heart wrencthing and true to himself. He doesn't compare to anyone else in the industry which is what makes Korn so unique. JD's singing on this record is the best when he of course choosing to sing, and then other times wishes to blabber obnoxious attempting to be creative inconsistent vocals. I know he's just trying to be creative but he can still be but just atleast make the new creative vocals sound consistent and fit into the music. 'Untouchbles' was his first record where he began experimenting with the abnormal vocals (everyone knows what I'm talking about) but on that album it seemed to fit more into the realm of the theme. on this album, it just seems forced and inconsistent. Albums are supposed to flow, creative, but still sane. This one just seems too insanely just to me. // 5

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is 'rock bottom'. The band is trying to grow the new seed they planted with 'Untouchables' and have just done a horrible job. Creativity and evolution encourages change which I myself support, but the ways in which Korn have evolved on this record is just 'messy'. I think the problem was self-production. The bass is too strong and the intruments just don't mesh together like on previous albums. I don't think this is their heaviest album, it just seems heavy because of Fieldy's loud obnoxious bass, it takes over from the rest of the music. I know those bass clicks is what Korn sounding is but it just doesn't work in this album. This album is my least favorite and thank god they reinvented for the better on 'See You On The Other Side'. I guess you have to hit rock bottom before you can figure out who you really are. Which Korn does after this album (failure-true Korn to them and what they wanted to portray, but musically a disgrace) and re-tuning themselves to rekinder some of the old chemistry and flow (which is important) on See You On The Other Side). // 4

Take A Look In The Mirror Reviewed by: munkyrage25, on february 12, 2008

Sound: The sound of the band is metal, but yet much more. This album for instance has some of the heavier songs that Korn has produced. The sound comes out in angery bursts and you can't control yourself when you hear it and so you start to tap to the rhythm or head banging till your head falls off. You want ot scream because this music brings out the inner beast that wants to rip everything apart. The album also calms you down so that you can comprhend everything Jonathan Davis is saying(lead singer). He describes feelings like no other singer I know. The album also has a little rap but it's not to bad. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said the lyrics are deep and emotional, dark, saddening, but yet you want to hear more because you like that inner beast that screams inside of you. The lyrics flow eith the rythm and it's kind of soothing if you pay attention. The singer has so many skills and he displays a new one, screaming. He has done this before but not so intense and wild. But yet it sounds good and you can hear every word that he is saying, but he also uses his other techniques like wisper scream and regulary talking, but it doesn't matter that he screams or wispers the sound is perfect and you can't help but sing along and shout if you know the words. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think any band can be compared to KoRn and you will find out if you listen to them or if you already have then you probably will agree wiht that statement. The most impressive songs from the album would have to be "Right Now", "Did My Time", "Here It Comes Again", "Alive", "Counting On Me", "Ya'll Want A Single", and When Will This End"(at the end of this song there will be 6:13 of silence then Korn performes "One" by Metallica live). I love thsi whole album and I don't hate anything but I dislike the rap song ("Play Me") a little bit.I would buy this album if it ever got lost(Doubtfull) or stolen (yeah right lets see someone try wiht out getting messed up). // 10

More Korn reviews rating latest review
+ Korn 9.2 12/11/2014