Untitled Review

korn: Untitled
Release Date: Jul 31, 2007
Label: EMI/Virgin Records
Genres: Alternative Rock
Korn takes a few more risks on its latest untitled album, which features only 3 of the band's original members.
 Lyrics: 6.8
Untitled Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 02, 2007

Sound: Taking a cue from nameless classics like The Beatles White Album or even Metallica's Black Album, Korn decided to go the mysterious route and keep its 8th studio release untitled. It probably won't be considered as legendary as The Beatles' offering or as controversial as Metallica's Bob Rock-produced CD, but it does improve upon the band's last release. Vocalist Jonathan Davis was apparently a bit apprehensive about releasing some of the tracks due to their dance-oriented feel, but it's actually not as much of a departure as the singer makes out. There are more than a few moments of inspired creativity, but at times the song still tend to lack the originality of Follow The Leader. Korn is comprised of 3 main players for the time being (vocalist Jonathan Davis, guitarist James Munky Shaffer, and bassist Fieldy), with drummer David Randall Silveria on a brief hiatus until October of this year. It's obvious that the band is still exploring the world of electronica on the new record, but that doesn't mean they have nixed traditional drums altogether. Brooks Wackerman (Bad Religion) and the legendary Terry Bozzio helped out on the latest album, and even Davis, who has played drums on selected songs on past albums, leant a hand with percussion. When the band does choose to utilize a traditional drum set, it absolutely injects more life into the album. The record begins with a hauntingly slow circus-like Intro, which makes for a very fascinating start to the album. The 2-minute long synth/piano track eventually builds with the addition of drums and soft cries in the background, all which ends rather abruptly. As soon as Intro ends, Starting Over takes over. It immediately picks up the pace and delivers one of the most memorable and melodic tracks on the CD. Davis' vocals go from falsetto to gritty in Starting Over, and it sets a great tone for the rest of the record. The 13-track CD (bonus edition includes 14) includes songs that range from extremely mellow (Hushabye) to raucous (Killer), and Korn does deserve credit for taking some chances. Davis was right about the album being slightly risky, particularly when you look at the number of tracks that veer off the metal-esque path they tread in its earlier records. The first half of the record is pretty solid, and it's not until the later tracks that things lag a bit. Do What They Say is a rather odd track, with an electronic-driven tempo that trudges along for most of the song. At times it almost feels like a Marilyn Manson track, but the moody vibe never feels quite that creepy. Munky's guitar lets out a giant wail for much of the song, which is a cool aspect of the song, but the melody of Do What They Say isn't interesting enough to be a truly successful venture. The track Ever Be directly follows, and fails to pick up the pace. Although there are a few solid rock tracks in the 2nd half of the CD, it's the first 5 or 6 songs that are the most impressive. // 8

Lyrics: Apparently Jonathan Davis still holds a bit of a grudge against former guitarist Brian Head Welch, who left in 2005 when he discovered religion. It's always impressive when musicians are honest about the meaning behind the lyrics, and Love And Luxury is one of 2 songs directly inspired by Welch's departure. Davis sings, You run it, so you best believe it; You sold it, now your soul perceives it; You wave a book but now agree with this; The damage of betrayal. While Love And Luxury and Ever Be are the only songs specifically directed to Welch, there's still no lack of aggression in the other songs. Davis takes aim at a souring relationship with the bluntly titled Bitch We Got A Problem. He sings, And you move in a hostile way; Like you're recently wounded; I reach for your wrists to feel the pulse; You're feeling yourself for both of us. While some of the music backing up the words doesn't quite deliver the same hostility, the album is right on target when Munky is delivering his distortion-heavy riffs. // 8

Overall Impression: Korn has returned with a pretty satisfying addition to its catalog with its latest untitled record, even though it does attempt to be an electronica album more than it needs to be. There are peaks and valleys along the way, with the majority of the first half filled with memorable, passionate Korn tracks. The band does try to slow things down with synth-heavy tracks, and that can still be heavy at times -- although not quite as interesting. When it comes down to it, Korn has always stood out because of the fact there is a lot going on with their earlier hits. When the band uses everything from Munky's wacky guitar sounds to Davis' morphing vocals, the end result never ceases to be engaging. While this latest untitled album probably won't attract quite as much attention as the earlier records, it still proves there is more life in Korn -- even with only 3 members. // 8

Untitled Reviewed by: mattstaehr, on november 30, 2007

Sound: Their last great album was Untouchables. Since the parting of Brian "Head" Welch, the band has toned down and fallen away from their hate themed music of the late '90s. Now then are becoming more of a melodic sigh being blasted through amps. What has happened to Korn? Korn had promised after See You On The Other Side that their next album would be even heavier. They are gradually getting more and more relaxed. I was actually able to blast Untitled in my room and sleep like a baby. A metal band shouldn't allow you to sleep while blasting their new album. I am ashamed of Korn and their new sound. I agree that for a while there was not enough change between albums, but this is rediculous. At least play rock. And Jon Davis' singing in this one sounds like a small child who had a nightmare. The song "Kiss" makes me think that he had scraped his knee with the whinny tone of his. // 3

Lyrics: I know from past albums that Jonathan Davis can be a great vocalist. And he can write great lyrics to songs. But now all of Korn's songs are just to slow, the singing is becoming whinning and the lyrics are all worthy of laughing at. Songs like Polotics, and Twisted Transistor. they don't make any sense and they are a far stretch from their last albums. Untitled is a disgrace. using songs like "Love and Luxury" to attack their ex-guitarist. Korn are falling apart. // 3

Overall Impression: The album sucks. I made the mistake of buying it. I wouldn't recommend buying it if you haven't already. Borrow a copy of it or pirate it off the net. Don't waste money on it. There are some decent songs on it though. I liked "Hold On", "Evolution", and "Starting Over". But for the most part, it's not worth the money. // 5

Untitled Reviewed by: Jacobcraft, on august 02, 2007

Sound: It's been almost two years since the release of Korn's daring effort, "See You on the Other Side", which remained tinged with industrial funk and bleak pop. Truthfully, I hadn't been expecting much beyond another version of the prior release (See You on the Other Side) but I can assure I stand corrected. The overwhelmingly noticable industrial, electronic edge has been toned enough to where a handful of the song seem to lack it to a point of non-existence. One thing that's intrigued me about Korn is their recent urge to evolve and explore new sounds. Heck, if you wanted to, you could label this as a progressive nu-metal act! Onto the sound: first, it's much better than See You on the Other Side (which I like, but not love! ). The most improved section are the precussion elements. Dare I say it, but at some points KoRn have Tool-ish inspired drum work from our main man, Terry Bozzio. The most notable of the improvement concerning drums are the tracks "Killing" & "I Will Protect You"... especially "I Will Protect You". Guitar work is a bit bland until about a third of the way through the album which yes, includes a short, not very complex guitar solo from Munky! Fieldy seems to stick to distorting or synthing his bass (something still present from SYOTOS era) but the clicking and slapping are back. Although not prominent, the funky, Fieldy trademarks are noticable on very few tracks. Now, the addition of Zac is a plus but can be rather annoying. Tracks like "Ever Be" & "Do What They Say" are examples of good keyboard work while some of the chord progressions in "Starting Over" are just annoying. "Hold On", "Bitch We Got A Problem" & "Evolution" are your basic rockers but deffinitely a new step for KoRn. Suprising tracks include "Hushabye" (use of reverb mandolin) and the oddly non-Korn-but-friggin'-cool "Kiss". So, this is an improvement but nothing drastic overall. The part I savor the most out of the entire ensemble appear to be the precussion, which resonates very clearly with me. This is better than See You on the Other Side, in my opinion and deffinitely worth a shot for any listener. Caution: a pop-gloss still remains. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, dear Jon has progressed somewhat but be warned: a good chunk of the angst from your good ol' nu-metal days are gone. However, there is album is noticably more emotive compared to its predecessor. It's interesting to see Davis' feelings and perspective in such songs as "Evolution" & "I Will Protect You", a song regarding his children! The lyrics are less mainstream orientated but, nonetheless, still over-produced. Dark, brooding, demonic but too radio friendly! Jon Davis has a unique voice but his lyrics aren't exactly the most inspirational but the albums vocals don't entirely fail. // 7

Overall Impression: First off, if I lost this gem, I'd easily buy another and I advise you consumers to do much the same! The album art is brilliant, bar-none. This has got to be my favorite Korn album art in existence and it's a inked triumph over older works. The LP flows nicely and strays away from made old school Korn fans loath See You on the Other Side so much, but doesn't exactly abandon the principles learned there either. It's not as innovative as KoRn or Untouchables, but it gets the job done with little slag left behind. I adore, congratulate and appluade this album but there are a couple tunes I just can't get into some may relate, some may not. But, hey, that's your choice! Overall, this is a very good KoRn album, assured! // 9

Untitled Reviewed by: JRowe3388, on august 02, 2007

Sound: Korn return once again with their 8th full length studio album, Untitled, their 2nd under Virgin Records. Untitled marks the first record without drummer David Silveria, who is out on 'hiatus', and their 2nd without guitarist Brian "Head" Welch. A lot of people expected this album to be another 'See You On The Other Side', Korn's 2005 effort, which is far from the truth. Gaining help from drummers Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa, Missing Persons) and Brooks Wakerman (Bad Religion) along with touring keyboardist Zac Baird, Korn have truly redeemed themselves this time around. Returning to co-produce alongside Jonathan Davis is infamous Trent Reznor collaborator Atticus Ross, who gives the album a Nine Inch Nails industrial feel. Keyboardist Zac Baird makes his presence known, as piano, synth, and ambiance is used quite often throughout this album. Also in this album, we also see more of bassist Reginald "Fieldy" Arvizu's signature bass slapping technique, which was absent on much of SYOTOS, and can be heard on tracks such as Ever Be and I Will Protect You. Untitled perfects what previous effort SYOTOS attempted. The atmospheres, guitars, and effects seem to fit together perfectly this time around, which felt too forced and out of place before. This is a refreshing change of pace and is definitely what Korn needed to get back on top. Imagine putting 'Untouchables', 'See You On The Other Side', and Jon's work in the 'Queen of the Damned' soundtrack in a blender. You'll have Korn's Untitled album. Here's a breakdown of the album tracks: 01. Intro - this starts the album off with piano and ambiance that becomes eerie carnival-esq music until the band comes in. It helps set the mood for the album. 02. Starting Over - great opening track. The bridge is great, and features some melodic and catchy singing by JD. 03. Bitch We Got A Problem - this is a song I think Marylin Manson and Nine Inch Nails fans will enjoy. This song goes heavy on the bass. Good track, but not the best. It gets a little weird. 04. Evolution - the first single from the album. This song is about mankind being essentially apes inside. This is a very catchy song with a chorus that you'll find yourself singing later on. 05. Hold On - one of the best songs of the album. This album sports catchy verses and has an almost old school Korn vibe to it, especially in the singing. 06. Kiss - this is a very beautiful song that was inspired by The Beetle's "Strawberry Fields". This ballad is definately a stand out track. Melodic and powerful. 07. Do What They Say - this song is dark and heavy, but it doesn't stand out much and becomes kind of boring after a few listens. It's okay. 08. Ever Be - the best song on the whole album. Guitarist James "Munky" Shaffer describes it as being like the movie 300 set to song, and it truly holds up. This is a very Epic song with a climactic ending. This song was aimed at ex-guitarist Brian "Head" Welch, who left the band for religious reasons. 09. Love And Luxury - this song is the poppiest on the album, but it still maintains some heaviness. Some will hate this song, but I loved it and it really stuck to me. It has a very memorable hook. This was also aimed at Head, which becomes obvious right away with the line, "I read your little book and ha ha ha." 10. Innocent Bystander - just like "Do What They Say", it's nothing special. It's an okay track that doesn't really stand out much. 11. Killing - formerly called "Trained Response". This is the heaviest song on the album, and has an almost death metal part that sorta springs out of nowhere. 12. Hushabye - this is a softer song. Munky does something unusual for Korn and picks up a mandolin. This song really great track. 13. I Will Protect You - JD leaked this track on MySpace a few months ago to give fans a taste of what they were working on and it is the first song they completed for the album. This song sports a progressive type breakdown showcasing Bozzio's drumming. A great closing track for a great album. // 9

Lyrics: Jonathan Davis pulls out all the stops in this album. His vocals range from the soft singing in ballad "Kiss" to death metal style low growl in "Killing". The album's lyrical themes range from his near death experience with a rare blood disorder to mankind being no better than apes to anger towards ex-guitarist Brian "Head" Welch. // 8

Overall Impression: I didn't know what to expect from Korn now that they are down to only 3 original members, but Korn surprised the hell out of me with this. I can't really find a bad thing to say about this record. Although it may take a few listens to really get into the album, it is definitely the best thing since Issues. Untitled has what their last works were missing. // 9

Untitled Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 03, 2007

Sound: Korn seem to have dropped the combination of downtuned chunky riffs and melodic chorus's in favour of industrial guitar and synth. Terry Bozzio giving the band an interesting new sound with his immense perrcussion on the CD. "Bitch We Got A Problem" is probably the closest the album comes to the old korn. The sound is very experimental throughout the album with moments of prog and crazy perrcussion. The slow piano and singing combined with the heavy guitar and sharp drums on "Kiss" (probably the closest the album comes to a ballad) works very well. The new sounds Korn has manufactured for this album works but the lack of Korn's heavy yet melodic chorus's leaves you feeling that there's something missing from the album. // 6

Lyrics: Jon Davis Is clearly a gifted singer though you can clearly see how his voice has changed over the years. The singing on the album is very much like the singing on the last album "See You On The Other Side". The lyrics of the album fit in well with the music and some of the songs have very pop-ish lyrics. I can't be sure but I'd say the song "Love And Luxury" is about former guitarist "Head." // 7

Overall Impression: although there are good songs on the album it doesn't compare to classic Korn cds such as "Follow The Leader". The high points of the album are when the verses and riffs go well together such as on "Killing". First single "Evolution" is probably the best song on the album. Fans of the "new" Korn of "See You On The Other Side" will enjoy the album but fans of classic korn wont't. All throughout the CD your just waiting for a huge chorus that never comes. // 7

Untitled Reviewed by: Khamhead, on august 06, 2007

Sound: Korn is back with "Untitled" and pushed their Alternative Metal sound more towards the Progressive/Industrial, basically a continuation of See You on the Other Side. More of an spacey feel to it a lot of melodic songs but evened out with some rocker like Bitch We Got a Problem and Hold On but heaviest song on the album to me is "Killing", but for the most part songs Like "Kiss" and "Hushabye" blends with and forms the album into an up and down somber rollercoaster. Munky also use many different guitars and amps instead of the barrage of effects like in other albums also using the very cool 8 string guitar on "Bitch We Got a Problem" and other various instruments. Fieldy has a fifteen string bass which is awesome, and Jon coming back on drums along with Terry B. great drummer which adds to the Prog sound they're already conveying. Overall sound is different even for KoRn but only adds to the excitement of the album. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are well, they're getting better as far substance because with this album it's not as polital as SYOTOS but it's dose deal with the KoRn usual (Suicide, Life, Death, Love, Not being Loved) so nothing different except maybe I will Protect You which a song to his kids and is also about his disease and Evolution. Their songs on the album with some enpowerment lyrics but other than that nothing different. Not much to say though Love it though. // 7

Overall Impression: The album is different than the other albums overall sound the Nu-Metal is their but doesn't overwelm the other entire album which I kinda miss but the I also understand and like change I mean you don; t want the same sound lyric or anything over and over or else it will get stale quick. The songs are great and wasn't what I expected whcih I nice I like surprises and even when it showed on the internet early when I went out to buy there where things that still surprised me. I love that it mixed Indutrial and Prog along with the new metal song the made so famous. You can't help but love because you get everything in one package. // 9

Untitled Reviewed by: nfldguitarist, on march 03, 2008

Sound: Korn's sound on there new album is more electronic and danceable then any other release they've done on anyother release that they've done. To me I think that the sound it self is old and a little dated. Korn is my favourite band but I can't help but feel that the sound is almost an appeal to a younger audience. Well it starts off with a dark carnival sound in the opening of the album that slowly gets heavier and heavier until it's over. This was okay, I just don't want to hear it as the opener for the rest of their tour. Hold on was definetly a song that was filled with surprises. The biggest being that it sounds like a straight ahead alternitive rock song except that it then goes into a weird psycahdelic bridge right before the song finishes up. The sound was good and the transition was a little choppy but smooth none the less. It's not my favourite Korn song but none the less it was cool. A lot of the songs on this album seem to have different influences in their mix. Killing for example had dream pop and death metal influences. I will protect you had progressive rock and hard industrial influences. Evolution was a pretty straight ahead throwback to old Korn song.Its easily my favourite song off the album. The protection off the album had that NIN feel that Atticus ross did. It sounded too much like an electronica sound for my taste but overall I could enjoy this album. They threw in a whole bunch of different sounds to make this album and most of it turned out great, there were a lot more self-indulgent tracks then a normal korn album has though.Songs like Intro, Love and Luxury and Innocent bystander were just a little too over produced for my taste. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics deal with emotion (Hushabye, Do What They Say, Head's departure (Ever Be, Love and Luxury), the environment (Evolution) and a whole mess of other things. The lyrics did seem a little rushed but they fit in very well with the music. Jonathan davis still pulls off a great sound with his voice, you can hear him ageing and the agression is gone but it is still a pretty good vocal performance. Most popular artists can't pull this off. He uses grindcore vocals and awider vocal range than most artists. // 7

Overall Impression: This is definetly a step up artisticly than SYOTOS. My favourite songs are "Evolution," "Hushabye," "Kiss," "Do What They Say" and "I Will Protect You." I love Korns willingness to experiment are an amazing virtue throughout this album. It's trying hard to be an electronic rock album but it's still a good listen. I would by this album again if it were stolen. // 9

Untitled Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2008

Sound: Untitled is Korn's latest venture with only 3 members of the original 5 band members. The album features the drumming of Terry Bozzio and brooks Wackerman. The album is not as good as previous efforts but enjoyable none the less. The album features more notable bass unlike See You On The Others side but the guitar is not as prominent as before. Korn have also included keyboards on this album. The musical style fo this album is Nu Metal however there is a more progressive feel on this album and one or two mini solos thrown in here and there. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are a tiny bit more adventurous on this album with lyrical themes like death, former band mates, mental illness, suicide and relationships. Jonathan Davis sings a lot on this record but there is a nice death metal inspired roar in Killing which I liked. // 7

Overall Impression: This album was enjoyable to listen to but if you're after a heavy album look elsewhere. This album is a chill out album and good if you have a hang over or need something to fall asleep to. My favoutite songs and recommended listens are Starting Over, Do What They Say, Ever Be, and Killing. The one thing that ruined this album would have to be having two different drummers on this record. The band got rid of Bozzio half way through so the album feels a lot like it lost direction somwhere. If this album was lost or stolen I'd download it again but wouldn't buy it. Korn have the potential to make a great album but I guess I'll have to wait until the next one. // 8

Untitled Reviewed by: gavz_verdikt, on july 25, 2008

Sound: Untitled was the only album that Korn had a title left out blank and sadly to say, the album was pretty much blank. Though previous albums like Follow The Leader, See You On The Other Side had hits like Twisted Transistor, this would probably be a disappointing album because the tracks have the same sound. Number one hits like Evolution and Hold On (which have turned to videos) may be great for those who like the nu metal genre but I liked Do What They Say, Ever Be and B****, We Got A Problem. The bonus track is average since I'm not a nu metal fan. If you are a nu metal fan, then buy the album otherwise it's better to just borrow and hear it. // 8

Lyrics: Since the title of the album was left out, well I thought the lyrics would suck but the album's lyrics are great! Hits like Evolution show the evolution that we are going through while Hold On tells you to pretty much hold on. Well, the lyrics are okay; I wouldn't call them great because the album pretty much doesn't mean anything. So if you liked hearing the lyrics and then listening to the music, I don't think you should hear it but for the sake of Korn, I guess the lyrics are okay! // 5

Overall Impression: I don't think I am so impressed with Untitled, partially because it's the same like other Korn albums. You can appreciate songs like Evolution and Hold On and I partially liked the video Evolution (not Hold On because it had no meaning). I like that Korn left the album for us to decide and since it was a much-hyped album, I bought it but I didn't like it. If I lost it, well don't buy it. Save your money and buy the next Metallica album which comes out this September 2008 or Guns N' Roses which comes out later this year. // 7

Untitled Reviewed by: Rob_Bob, on august 25, 2008

Sound: The whole of the album is unlike previos korn albums. Verging on a emo-grudge guitar playing. Songs such as kiss are unkoRn like whereas, songs like killing seem to be heavy and more like the KoRn stuff I am use too. I believe hushabye was written as Davis announced that he had a problem and it caused a morbid outlook and thus this song came to life. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics where quite different and seemed quite relevent to events in my life at the time. the music seemed to fit in sync. with the music. Davis showed many skills, going from partial screamo to the softer voice of previous korn tracks. Kiss is a slightly deep song for me, as at the time I was confussed and well this song didnt help. this is what I would declare as one of the most emo songs on the entire album. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a goood album but its not as goood as previos in my opinion. I think it crashed the previous sound of korn. but it revolutionised there genre and so they are better known. Killing, I will protect you, Starting over & bitch we got a problem seemed to be the best songs on the album. Its different thats what i hate about it. I would buy it again if anything happened to it as im a massive fan of KoRn, so I reccomend earlier stuff for the real KoRn But this mite be an insight to future albums. // 9

Untitled Reviewed by: BushMasterFlex, on november 20, 2008

Sound: Personally I thought this was a great album from Korn. It has a spooky feel at times that just makes the album great. The drums are amazing and creative through out the entire album thanks to Terry Bozzio Brooks Wackerman of Bad Religeion. There are a few songs though that don't really appeal that well at all or just drift over on the CD (Do What They Say and Hushabye). This album though has some of my favorite Korn songs of aqll time on it like Hold On and Killing. Overall I think the album is definetly a step forward for Korn Musiclly. // 8

Lyrics: You can never go wrong with Johnathan Davis, he always ceses to amaze me with every song I here from them. In this album he mix of vocal syles are great, esspecially the outro for killing with growling death metal vocals. The actual song lyrics in the album is pretty different form the rest of the Korn's stuff. Evolution is the biggest difference here where they talk about de-evolution with todays people. I also have to mention Korn bashing Brian "Head" Welch for leaving the band and writing band things about them in his book "Save Me From My Self" that he wrote. But overall the lyrics are typical Korn with the exseption of a few songs. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album leaves a big impression on me. I always crave to here this album (esspecially for Killing and Hold On). If your a Korn fan then you should really enjoy this album unless your one of those people that don't like the fact that there trying something new. Great CD with my high recommendation. // 9

Untitled Reviewed by: Sleez Boy, on september 17, 2010

Sound: Ah, See You on the Other Side was a significant change in Korn's label, music, and mood. As you know, the previous albums they have released where heavy, down tuned, funky-hip pop, emotional, and raw. However, their previous studio album Take A Look In The Mirror was out right before guitarist Brian Welch quit the band. When that happened, the band continued, released a greatest hits album, and signed on with a new label, Virgin Records. The music released for See You On The Other Side felt pretty relaxed with random outburst at times. Songs like Hypocrites Twisted Transistor Politics and Coming Undone was all funky, dark, heavy, fast, and computer edited. I didn't mind, for I love those tracks, but after the band went on a tour, they released their follow up album to little fanfare. Slick style and computer pro tools dominate the music in the album as one texture is added to another making everything complex to hear. However, you can separate sound in the songs and hear most of the sounds if you're not paying attention to the song. What you got is one song covered with all kinds of sounds from all kinds of equipment that will lead to confusion. It's like a cake with all kinds of frosting and fruits. However, after sound hits your ear, it starts unveiling a weird feeling in you that makes the track catchy and likeable if not a headache. There are a number of songs that get away with it as it catches the unsuspecting listener. You'll think it's weird and wild, but effective afterwards. And of course, the music is less relaxed this time as Korn attempts to match their heavy sound that created the genre known as nu-metal in early 90s. I had no problem listening to the album the first time and loved, and to this day, I still love it in its entire glory. As for the lyrics, I don't think there's been any evolution, but there is stuff worth reading about. The problem, however, is that there are no lyrics in the booklet, so one has to go to the band's website to view them. // 8

Lyrics: There are no lyrics printed on the sleeves of the Untitled album, so I looked up some of the songs. I like reading the lyrics while listening to the song. I like what I mostly read like "Love & Luxury", "Evolution", "Hold On" and some others. Some of the songs talk about certain concerns like future of Earth and mankind and others are backlash against former bandmember Brian "Head" Welch. The lyrics do match the songs a lot though. // 7

Overall Impression: Untitled is a catchy and awesome album although one can spot the weaknesses it has: computer dominated sounds, pro tools, tiredness among band members, and forgetting who they are. Despite that, Korn has shown no compromise in its attitude or music as they are writing and playing whatever they want to. I love the exploration they made with the music and artwork. It shows the band is wounded, but not dead like the bird on the album cover. All they need is to remember who they are. Songs: "Intro" 1:57 "Starting Over" 4:02 "_itch We Got a Problem" 3:22 "Evolution" 3:37 "Hold On" 3:05 "Kiss" 4:09 "Do What They Say" 4:17 "Ever Be" 4:48 "Love and Luxury" 3:00 "Innocent Bystander" 3:28 "Killing" 3:36 "Hushabye" 3:52 "I Will Protect You" 5:29 Hold On: Intro 1:57 Great way to start the album, I found it pretty unique as it sets up a certain mood and theme to the album which deals with alienation, anger, despair, and other things too fascinating for the human mind. The intro has a smooth carnival ride right before it goes haywire with some demonic riffs and bass. Starting Over (4:02) Starting Over is the first and wicked song off the album! The sound is heavy and John's voice is amazing. The tone and his singing are very swift at the beginning of the track. It reminded me of or couple of hip pop songs where the artist singing in a soft and crooning tone right before Davis goes haywire. It is at the chorus where Davis starts to reveal a grimly vocal while Munky's guitar riffs become heavier. Listening to the lyrics, the song is possibly about a near death experience that occurred to Davis in a performance once. I gotta say Starting Over grimly, catchy, and compelling. *itch we got a Problem (3:22) this is my least favorite song from the album. I didn't get into this song even though the title is humorous and one of my favorites titles. Again, there's the swiftly voice Davis is singing while the Munky and Fieldy play their instruments in low tuning. I do like certain things about this song, but it could have been a little better. Its music is much disorganized and vocals are very erratic. Evolution (3:37) "Evolution" is one of the best songs on the album! The song starts off with pounding drums and moderately tempo rhythm from guitar from Munky. Davis then attacks with his vocals of pain, misery, and desperation! I'm digging with my fingertips I'm ripping at the ground I stand upon I'm searching for fragile bones Evolution I'm never gonna be refined Keep trying but I won't assimilate Well written lyrics, the song "Evolution" focuses not about where humans came from or anything political, but questions about humanity on the planet earth whether if there'll be a place for future generations to live. Anyways, the song becomes heavier and gloomier before Davis screams it's evolution in the chorus. Meanwhile, Munky fills in with some cool and guitar notes. Also worth noting is the drumming on the song, for it has a raw-down tune like Lars Ulrich had the bongos in St. Anger? That's how the drumming is, raw and bad-ss! Great song! Loved it! "Hold On" (3:05) "Hold On" to your socks, it's going to be a bumpy ride. I am referring to the music video of course. "Hold On" is a very hard edge song with lullaby sound during the chorus. The song is pretty awesome as it starts off with the vintage sound where the guitar is tuned low. The tempo is moderate, but heavy. I found myself enjoying the song and reminiscing scene with Davis, Munky, and the bull. "Kiss" (4:09) "Kiss" is the most depressing song in the album. The song starts off with piano and acoustic guitar. It sets the mood and then the sorrow voice of Davis commences the song and lyrics. The lyrics are pretty depressing in this case where it deals a person with a rejecting lover along with the futile attempts. I really loved this song and thought the most choking part is when Davis sings in a high pitch voice why you always push me away? "Do What They Say" (4:17) "Do What They Say" is another depressing song. With the voice all angered up and upset, the song is once again depressing as it centers on capitulate or death. I don't know, for there are no lyric sheets. A very dark track with an impressive guitar sound, I enjoyed it a lot. I found the arrangements and structure of the song very simple as "Hold On". "Ever Be" (4:48) "Ever Be" is very heavy and loud, but found out that I didn't like this track at first. I cannot recall the reason why. The guitar work is very highly distorted and John's singing is catchy, so where did it all go wrong for me? Anyways, I really like this song and thought the bagpipes at the end were pretty cool. I read your little book, ha, ha, ha, ha, jeers Davis in the best song out of the entire album, "Love & Luxury". For some odd reason, I never wrote anything about this song in my original review, shocking. Okay, "Love & Luxury" has simple chords playing with supporting bass (Fieldy) and drums (whoever it is) while being covered in series of keyboards that give the song an exotic Arabic feel. The song is mid tempo throughout and goes to certain changes in its mood and sound until going back to the music when it is about to end. I really love how Korn performed this track, but also loved Davis vocals. The song is retaliation towards the former comrade Brian "Head" Welch, but not for quitting the band. I think they wrote it because Welch may have "dished" or talked a lot crap about the band. Anyways, this song is a way of telling him to move on. The lyrics are really great too. "Innocent Bystander" (3:28) did not know what to think about this one. I enjoyed it, and that's for sure (laugh). The song reminded me of "Coming Undone". The song is loud and aggressive as it tells you to shut up. Not literally, but you know what I mean. I love the way Davis repeatedly saying shut up. The music is thumping and features some killer bass thumps from Fieldy. "Killing" (3:36) Munky is at his most intense guitar work in "Killing". The guitar riffs are catchy meanwhile you got Davis voice out of control and along with some killer sounds in between. The intermission of the song is pretty cool. I believe this song is the rawest and intense as it's going to be. "Hushabye" (3:52) "Hushabye" is another depressing sound that transforms loud and heavy. The track opens up low and slow, but then kicks it up a notch. This happens back and forth. Its hooks are very catchy and liked it although not as much as "Killing". "I Will Protect You" (5:29) I adore the ways the track opens up with mystical sound of a harp or keyboards. I stood there listening to it thinking what would be next and then it goes to up tempo beat as Davis sings very subtle in the verse. He sings in a poetic way during the chorus and found that pretty cool. Also in the song were organs and keyboards, they were used so it can lead to a grand finale that I thought was a pretty cool way closing the album. // 9

More Korn reviews rating latest review
+ The Paradigm Shift 7.4 11/01/2013