Voice Of Wilderness Review

8.7
 9.8
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Voice Of Wilderness Reviewed by: zannibal, on october 19, 2011

Sound: Korpiklaani is most likely the most pure folk metal band ever. While Ensiferum is mix of folk and melo death and Finntroll is mix of Black metal and folk, Korpiklaani isn't really mix of any other genre than just folk metal. They also have real folk instruments instead of using keyboards to make folk instruments. The sound of the band is really old sounding. Their melodies are played mostly with violin and they sound like old Finnish folk songs. Guitars aren't maybe the most mind blowing and actually I wouldn't be surprised if Jonne started playing just because they had no one else, but still all works perfectly. They got nice "normal tempo" songs like "Spirit Of The Forest" and "Native Land", but also fast songs like "Journeyman" and the famous "Beer Beer". Altogether pretty damn good. Also one cool thing is their instrumentals; Unlike Finntroll, Korpiklaani makes metal instrumentals like "Ryyppäjäiset". // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics are cool folk stuff like "Journeyman", not forgetting their drinking songs like "Beer Beer". Also there's really epic and cool sounding song; "Kädet Siipinä". It's sung in Finnish and it's about some lady who lost his husband in battle. Even though I speak perfectly Finnish it's still kinda hard to understand the lyrics and that's the cool part: they use pretty old Finnish language. Singer is pretty good. He got pretty deep voice. They're also the only one of these famous Finnish folk bands that doesn't use any kind of growling. All is sung clean. His voice sometimes reminds me of Dave Mustaine... He for sure isn't the most epic singer in metal history, but does his job fine enough. // 8

Overall Impression: This for sure compares to other albums. Korpiklaani always makes pretty damn long albums, this being one of the shortest ones. They got really nice mix of songs here; Fast folk, some humppa, normal tempo songs, instrumentals and acoustic song. What more could you ask? My personal favorite Korpiklaani album. My personal favorite song is "Kädet Siipinä", it's just so epic. I think this album is made very well, as they have so many different songs and this isn't too long album. It also differs from other folk bands as it's not so dark or agressive and has only clean singing. // 9

More Korpiklaani reviews rating latest review
+ Spirit Of The Forest 9.9 11/30/2011