Starting Point Review

artist: kotaro oshio date: 04/04/2005 category: compact discs
kotaro oshio: Starting Point
Released: Oct 22, 2002
Genre: New Age
There is not many guitarists who can play with both way of great technique and sentimental sounds. If there may be only Oshio.
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Starting Point Reviewed by: GuitaroooMan, on april 04, 2005

Sound: Kotaro Oshio, while often labeled as a "New Age" artist, is much more than that. With his roots in jazz and blues, his style is a sort of jazz fusion which has blues, folk, rock, and classical thrown in for good measure. Kotaro Oshio has been playing the guitar since he was 14 years old and it shows on his album. Beautiful melodies and tapestries of sound can be heard all throughout this CD and each song is embued with a passion that only a skilled guitarist could do. From the tender emotions of the heart, to the tension and axiety of the soul, these emotions are all expressed in the CD. Because Kotaro Oshio uses open tunings and tapping, he creates the illusion that there is a room full of guitars playing, however, it is just simply Kotaro Oshio and his clever open tunings which create this effect. Kotaro Oshio is one of the best guitar players ever, and this is one of the best acoustic CDs that you could ever ask for. // 10

Lyrics: While Kotaro Oshio does not sing, and only plays his guitar, there are a few lyrical interpretations here and there. What is amazing about this CD is that almost each song is named only one or two words, and Kotaro Oshio captures those words perfectly in his song and brings them to life with his guitar for the few minutes that he plays it. What is so great about this CD is that he picks a theme and expresses it beautifully within a song. There was no need for singing, the guitar was beautiful on its own. // 8

Overall Impression: I can't really think of any other artist to compare Kotaro Oshio, he's in a league of his own. Think of the most beautiful medlody ever and that's pretty much his whole CD. While this CD isn't for those of whom looking for a rock CD or something really grungy, give Kotaro a try and you might be surprised, I know I was. I really love this album, whenever I hear it, I wish I could play the guitar as good as Kotaro Oshio. It seems like he can think of anything in his head and play it anytime he wants. His guitar has become an extention of his body and emotions and that is something all guitarist should aspire for. // 10

More Kotaro Oshio reviews rating latest review