Phantom Antichrist Review

9.7
 9.4
review (1) 36 comments vote for this album:
Phantom Antichrist Reviewed by: mylanta2837, on june 18, 2012

Sound: Kreator took a slightly more progressive approach with "Phantom Antichrist". It stands out from their other albums because of that, but it still has that classic Kreator sound. Everything is mixed perfectly, the vocals, drums, bass and guitars all come out clear and sound great. The guitar is at its all time best in this album as well. Although they might not be flashy, the solos are melodic and fit it in with each song perfectly. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics dealt with political issues, such as in "Death To The World", which talked about how the human race is killing the Earth ("Mother Earth, the paradise you gave, Mother Earth, all your beauty we have raped"). As far as the vocals go, Petrozza sounds the best he has since "Pleasure To Kill". You can feel so much power and anger from it, which is something I didn't really expect after "Hordes Of Chaos". It sounds like they added a little bit of reverb on the voice too, which always makes for a great sound. // 10

Overall Impression: Now I know that "Pleasure To Kill" has always been the Kreator album that has been widely regarded as their best, but I believe this album has surpassed that. It may not be quite as hard hitting and thrashy as "Pleasure To Kill" (although it is quite heavy), but it's much more melodic and memorable. The thing I love about this album is that there isn't a bad song on it. It's hard to say which ones stand out, because each song stands out just as far as the rest. If I had to choose, I would probably say that "From Flood Into Fire" is my favorite song, and "United In Hate" and "Your Heaven, My Hell" are also honorable mentions. I've tried to be critical and find something I disliked about the album, but I simply can't. It is easily the best metal album to come out in the past several years, and it's nice to see a band stay true for so long. If it were stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I would recommend this to anyone who loves metal or is trying to get into it. Amazing album. // 10

More Kreator reviews rating latest review
+ Terrible Certainty 9.5 02/21/2012