Violent Revolution Review

8.7
 8.6
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Violent Revolution Reviewed by: IRONMAIDENTLICA, on july 15, 2009

Sound: Violent Revolution sees German thrash metal kings Kreator return to a sound more like their original with a few new tricks. Kreator first became popular in the 80s with the release of their sophomore album Pleasure to Kill. They then released 3 more thrash-fest CD's through the 80s, until the 90s the band began to experiment with slower tempos and gothic/industrial influences. However on Violent Revolution Kreator returned to their thrash roots with vengeance and technicality. The album opens up with the blistering Reconquering the Throne a very fitting opening song for a band who is doing just that, re-taking their spots at the head of the German thrash metal scene. The CD moves on to a very short instrumental, titled The Patriarch, which is really more of an intro to the title song Violent Revolution. Violent Revolution is easily the best song on the CD, and in my opinion, one of Kreator's best songs. If you don't feel the urge to head bang and sing along to the lyrics of Violent Revolution then you should probably just not listen to metal. All of the Same Blood, the next song shows more of a death metal influence, while maintaining the overall feel of Kreator's signature thrash sound. There are some great Maiden style harmonies on the CD, just look at the intro to Servant in Heaven King in Hell. Don't anticipate seeing many clean guitars, the only song to feature them is the intro to the seven plus minute long song Replicas of Life. The guitar playing is impressive, especially when you consider that Mille is singing while playing. The distortion is tight, the guitars are great and the drums are thunderous. The bass is less audible, or at least I had a hard time hearing it over the guitars. This is to be expected though, when your distortion has that much low end to it. // 8

Lyrics: In my opinion Mille has one of the best voices in thrash metal that I have heard. In my opinion he is Germany's James Hetfield, except Mille didn't destroy his voice in the same way Hetfield did. His voice, in my opinion, almost seemed to improve from this record to 2005's Enemy of God and 2009's Hordes of Chaos. The songs deal with a few issues, such as vengeance, an obvious example is Bitter Sweet Revenge. Another example would be Reconquering the Throne, which is also a rather obvious allusion to Kreator returning to their original sound. Or even the title track Violent Revolution with lyrics like I do not need a cause for my rage, I just despise the nature of the human race the song was clearly written about vengeance on society, or simply the bands disgust and hatred toward today's society. Another topic is clearly society with songs like System Decay, Violent Revolution, and Ghetto War all speak about today's society. Even Mind on Fire to some extent deals with society, the song talks about seeking greater knowledge above what society offers you. The lyrics overall are a standout on the CD. Kreator is often able to write thought provoking lyrics unlike many thrash metal bands who stick to murder and demons. // 9

Overall Impression: As far as thrash metal goes, this album is just great, it's classic Kreator again with a few extra twists and turns. Mille's voice in my opinion has improved since his early days as has his playing. The most impressive song on the CD most defiantly has to be Violent Revolution. It's got thunderous guitars and a great beat to it, it's hard not to enjoy. What I love about this album is you get exactly what you're looking for, a great thrash metal album, the band doesn't try to experiment too much and never strays from its all out assault. While Kreator might not get the attention that most other thrash bands get such as Metallica and Megadeth, they certainly show on this album that they deserve it. An overall great effort and return for the metal veterans. // 9

More Kreator reviews rating latest review
+ Phantom Antichrist 9.7 06/18/2012