II Review

7.7
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
II Reviewed by: krvolok, on august 13, 2010

Sound: On their second album Krux move away form the the late 90s Candlemass sound of their first album to a more original sound and feel. One of the major flaws of the first album was the production which has been improved on Krux II, this mostly concerns the bass and the bass drums. The members mostly consist of veteran musicians form the Swedish metal scene and every song reflects the experience of the line up, apart form a few moments on "Pirates" and "Lex Lucifero" Krux II is incredibly memorable. All in all Krux II is a more than descent followup to its predecessor. 01. "Serpent": the album opens with a very interesting and tense song its not the best song on the album but it's certainly not a bad one either. 02. "Devil Sun": is the best song on the album, it opens up with a creepy clean riff followed by Levn's raspy voice, this is one of the best doom metal songs I ever heard. 03. "Sea of Doom": is a good song, it has quite a bit of tempo changing but it's well balanced and it avoids the choppy feel on "Pirates". 04. "Lex Lucifero": is, when compared to the rest of the album, boring and dry, a filler really. 05. "Pirates": is as "Lex Lucifero" a filler, it has a couple of good moments here and there but nothing worth mentioning. 06. "Depressive Strokes of Indigo": is the second best song on Krux II, it's titled well since it's pretty gloomy track which gets even gloomier on the monumental choruses. 07. "Too Close To Evil": is a very heavy song which opens with a skull crushing riff, great song. 08. "The Big Empty":a basic doom song, interesting and a good way to close the album. // 8

Lyrics: Mats Levn's vocals are somewhat different than than before, he has focused more on the profound melodies, like on "Devil Sun" and "Depressive Strokes of Indigo" than on the first album. Edling has written the bulk of the lyrics but Sandstrm is also credited. // 8

Overall Impression: Though I like Krux I more than I do Krux II it has to be said that the material on Krux II is more original and more authentic, most of the issues that I had against Krux I have been resolved on this album. But the fact of the matter is that Krux I came before II and this album will forever be in its shadow, I highly recommend it to both fans of doom and those who wish to explore doom metal. // 7

More Krux reviews rating latest review
+ III - He Who Sleeps Amongst The Stars 6.5 01/20/2012