Krux Review

krux: Krux
Released: 2003
Genre: Doom metal
Label: Mascot Records
This album transformed me form a skeptic into a fan in a couple of minutes.
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Krux Reviewed by: krvolok, on july 23, 2010

Sound: I first heard of Krux around the time when Candlemass' King Of The Gray Islands was released, and I found out that the band consists form the seasoned members of the Swedish metal scene, Leif Edling form Candlemass, Nemesis and Abstrak Algebra, Jrgen Sandstrm from Grave, Mats Leven, Abstrak Algebra and Yngwie J. Malmsteen. My first thought was-another Candlemass splitter band, this is true to an extent, there is a lot of that feel of Candlemass from the late 90s but there is still a lot of new things that is Krux. The album sounds great, there is no doubt that the band member know their jobs well, very rarely will you find that the album is boring and if you are a doomster you will find a lot of super heavy riffs. 01. "Black Room" is a good opener,I like the guitar duel in the middle and of course the main riff. 02. "Krux" opens with a semi-distorted arpeggio and then goes into a up tempo section followed by a obscenely heavy riff, a very good song. 03. "Nimis" is a short song with a couple of nice riff and that all it really is. 04. "Siberia" consists of a single acoustic riff and two beautifully sung verses. 05. "Omfalos" is a memorable song, mainly due to the chorus and the lyrics. 06. "Enigma EZB" the rhythm is a bit different from the rest of the songs, drags along a bit toward the end. 07. Pococatepetl" is based on riffs recycled form Abstrak Algebra's "3rd Child Form The Sun" and Candlemass' Karthago, it's still fairly good. 08. "Evel Rifaz" is a filler which sets up the next song. 09. "Lunochod (I, II, III, IV, V, VI & VII)" is the best song on the album, the keyboard intro is too long and one of the riffs vaguely resembles Candlemass' "Tot". The lyrics are abut the Soviet moonwlakers-Lunochod. The album is not with out flaws, there is the riff recycling but that a small thing when compared to the production, which is very crude. The bass drums are at times inaudible, the guitars are dull and the bass is very murky. // 8

Lyrics: Mats Leven is a talented singer which is instantly recognizable, I personally don't like the vocals that much but they suit the music very well, he has a decent range and a keen eye for melodies.The lyrics again resemble those on Leif Edling's other projects but that is generally a good thing.The lyrics have a lot of impact which in doom metal is very important. All in all Krux make very good doom. // 8

Overall Impression: This album transformed me form a skeptic into a fan in a couple of minutes, Krux is a band which sounds a lot like Candlemass but is very different, the production is bad but still that should not be a deterrent. This album is a must have for any doom metal fan, if you don't get it you will miss out on a great doom album. // 9

More Krux reviews rating latest review
+ III - He Who Sleeps Amongst The Stars 6.5 01/20/2012