Hearts Of The Innocent Review

kutless: Hearts Of The Innocent
Release Date: Mar 21, 2006
Label: Bec Recordings
Genres: Post-Grunge, Alternative CCM
Coming off of the "worship album" Strong Tower, Kutless returns to a more aggressive rock sound on "Hearts Of The Innocent."
 9.5
 8.4
Hearts Of The Innocent Reviewed by: AFmike, on april 10, 2006

Sound: The first sound I heard on the album was the roaring of a guitar scorching through a monstrous riff. This was the first song that I heard when the played at Gracefest in Pensacola yesterday, the first song I heard from them. After hearing the first verse I wanted to buy this CD. They are so good, that after their time slot was done, the croud called for an encore and they played 2 more songs. They are amazing. This is coming from a hardcore zakk wylde/Black Label Society, Pantera/Damageplan fan. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals are a voiced with a huge amounts of emotion and a couple times was screamed out with a surprising amount of fury. The lyrics on whole were well written considering they are christian hard rock. The vocals/lyrics flowed to and fro with the music depending on the needed amount of energy as dictated by the guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm not a big christian hard rock fan but this album had me hooked. The best songs probably are Hearts Of The Innocent, Shut Me Out, and Somewhere In The Sky. The sound of these songs are amazing and flow around perfectly. However the one song, Mistakes is one of the few that seemed as it was written in 2 minutes and is not that really complex. The band overall is very skilled, the drummer at Gracefest played a five minute solo going faster than humanly possible. The guitarists also are skilled at writting riffs and meshing with the lyrics. If this album was taken/stolen I would probably buy it again or burn it from my 5 other friends that bought this album. // 9

Hearts Of The Innocent Reviewed by: yumoses, on july 15, 2006

Sound: The sound of this CD I guess, may b appeal by many youths today because of the hardrock, a bit of screamo included. I love this CD. The songs that start of slow and build up is great. The singer sings with such emotion to get the message across. // 10

Lyrics: They lyrics of this CD has great meaning to it. The song Promise Of A Lifetime shows that nothing's ever lost for good and God's there for you. The song Smile tells people how a smile can greatly impact a person's life. The singer can pull it up pretty good. The slow and downcasting lyrics are matchin with the music then it goes happy and joyful with the upclimb of the beat and music. Love it! // 10

Overall Impression: No one can compare to Kutless, they're voice is orginal and very distince from other bands. They're riffs are great too. I'm not a great fan of screamo and the harder side of the Christian spectrum, but this CD definately kills the "anti-fan". There's not much you can hate about it according to me. And if it were stolen or lost, I would seriously buy it again because it just conveys such a great message. Love that CD! // 10

Hearts Of The Innocent Reviewed by: sg4ever, on december 18, 2006

Sound: The new album from Kutless Hearts of the Innocent starts up from where Sea of Faces left off and has definitely improved their already great sound to a far more improved sound. The songs abound with better song arrangements and more interesting riffs and more prominent leads. There's even a few solos on the album and while not up to Hendrix, Jimmy Page, or Slash standards, it makes the songs more interesting. On a note, the sound is definitely heavier than Sea of Faces and most certainly Strong Tower, but it doesn't overpower the songs or their messages. Some notable songs include Hearts of the Innocent, Shut Me Out, Smile, Promise of a Lifetime, Million Dollar Man, and Legacy among others. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are suitable for the music, nothing superb and nothing bad. They go along with the songs just fine and are certainly good enough to sing along to although there could have been more lyrics with Jesus the message is clear. More about being up front and direct than prose and lit excellence. The singing is definitely top-notch as far as rock music is concerned. Jon is a skilled singer with a powerful and clear voice and on some of the heavier songs at the most climatic moments he let out some pretty intense screams. // 9

Overall Impression: The sound is definitely more original than other bands. Kutless has a sound that's just plain good. They manage to be heavy without copying screamo/metal stuff. As a christian rock band they set a mark for others of their ilk to follow. It's definitely an album that christian or non-christian listeners of rock will enjoy. I can't think of any reason to hate it and would buy it again if lost or stolen. // 10

More Kutless reviews rating latest review
+ It Is Well 9.1 08/20/2010