To Know That You're Alive Review

Genres: Post-Grunge, Alternative CCM
 9.4
 8.6
To Know That You're Alive Reviewed by: Caleb Weyant, on july 08, 2008

Sound: All I have to say is wow. Kutless' new sound in this album is great. They definatly did not do the same thing twice. In this record the guitars do not sound as prossesed as all the other records. That helps them to achive a greater live playing ability. Their sound has gotten more raw in the and the new guitarist has been a great replacement for the old guitarist. The bass in this album is easier to hear too and in sounds well along with drums. The drumming has also been really amplifide it really shows his talent on this album. // 10

Lyrics: Jon Micah Summral hsa really improved his singing ability this record. I think he has a slightly new style abit more Jeremy Camp sounding voice than in the early records that he almost sounded like Scott Stapp. The Lyrics really fit in with the music. I think in the next records you will see his singing ability improve. He will definately be a famous Christina singer some day. // 10

Overall Impression: For Kutless it is definatyly thier best album yet. My favorite songs on the album are The Feeling, To Know That You're Alive, The Dicease And The Cure, Complete, Overcoming Me, and Loud. I love the newer abit more raw sound and the singing on the album. One thing in a few of the songs they us bigger words trhat some people may not understand but it is only in 2 songs so no reason to go get a dictionary. If this album was stolen I would buy it even though I have on my computer. If it was stolen again I would buy it again. This album is great. // 10

To Know That You're Alive Reviewed by: sg4ever, on march 11, 2010

Sound: I'd say the band has definitely made some changes since their early days. You could already hear the changes that a band will typically experience when acquiring new members in Hearts of the Innocent, but that change is usually more apparent on the second album with new members. Such is the case with this most recent album by Kutless. I'd have to say the change is definitely positive. They have a harder edge on the songs meant to sound hard and their softer moments add a nice transition. I won't be cliche in saying that the heavier parts are or harder and the softer parts are softer, but the transitions are definitely stronger and the hard stuff really does sound a bit heavier. There a few heavy breakdowns which sound a bit more metal oriented rather than the grungy pounding that would serve for their usual bridges and breakdowns. The drumming and guitar skills seem to be a bit higher this time around as I hear some more interesting riffs and some well placed drum parts going on. Although, the simple lead lines are starting to get tired as that is all they ever do and they are capable of better parts. Jon does a good job singing as usual, but only complaint is his rather forced upper range. He is trying to sing out of his usual Seattle influenced range, but it sounds a bit forced for lack of better word. His screams add a nice touch to the heavy music though. All in all it's a solid effort sound wise. // 9

Lyrics: Here's the thing with Kutless lyrics. There really aren't any profound or metaphorical lyrics going on. The messages are presented in clear, uncomplicated wording. His vocabulary isn't elementary by any means, but he doesn't go out of his way to weave mysterious prose out of his lyrics. I think this is a good thing for this kind of band though. They have a clear message that they want to proclaim loudly yet politely. It might bother people who aren't into embracing or entertaining issues of faith or how it correlates with life, but that simply leaves all the people who are interested to sift through it. In the grand scheme of lyrical profundity and artistic representation could it be better? Absolutely, but there is some charm to them and an honesty and passion that makes them work with the music. As far as the singing goes, Jon is a good singer. I will give him his dues where they are due. He presents the lyrics in a clear and strong voice. There moments where he is hitting some higher notes than previously sung. It's good to push oneself to improve, but I feel like he wasn't quite comfortable enough to ace the higher singing in some parts, but it worked pretty good. It simply took away from the slower songs a bit in my opinion, but it's still decent. // 8

Overall Impression: Kutless is one of those bands. They sound like a lot of bands, but they still sound like Kutless. Sometimes this is a bad thing, and sometimes this is a good thing. I feel like their uniqueness falls into the good category. Great tracks to me are the opening track with it's rock and roll drive, To Know That You're Alive, The Disease and the Cure, Complete, The Rescue, and Overcoming Me. The other songs are good to me as well, but I particularly enjoy those. I don't actually hate anything about the album and for the most part rather enjoy. I would get it again if I lost it. // 9

More Kutless reviews rating latest review
+ It Is Well 9.1 08/20/2010