As The Palaces Burn Review

9.5
 9.6
 9.3
As The Palaces Burn Reviewed by: slashwyldepage, on february 09, 2005

Sound: This thrash metal album has enough grind to clean off rusty bumpers; super heavy distortion. Willie Adler and Mark Morton really know how to shred up a fretboard. Like I said, this album is good old american thrash metal, and not for the faint of heart. It's likely to scare younger listeners. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on ATPB are pretty good for this genre. It's not all about killing people or the usual thrash metal topics. The lyrics in 11th Hour are mindblowing. In it, Randy Blythe uses amazing metaphors to explain alchoholism like a demoness. Some of the other topics involve George W. Bush and his blunders overseas, as in Vigil. Randy has an amazing screaming voice in this album, the best range I've heard so far. // 10

Overall Impression: This is pretty much the best album by Lamb of God (I would know, I own all three). The standout songs are Ruin, As The Palaces Burn, 11th Hour, A Devil In God's Country, and Vigil. I think this album could have used some louder drum and bass, because they are barely audible. If it was stolen, I would buy three more copies, just in case. This album is the shazbot. // 10

As The Palaces Burn Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 13, 2004

Sound: One of the most kinetic, technically challenging and unabashedly heavy pieces of music you're likely to hear, As The Palaces Burn is the soundtrack to the confusion, fear and evil that affects so many of us today. With timing of the release as impeccable as the music, LAMB OF GOD have further elevated their craft and risen to the very top of the extreme metal scene - a scene of which they became a part nearly eight years ago. In their salad days in Richmond, VA, Lamb Of God members Morton, singer Randy Blythe, bassist John Campbell and drummer Chris Adler operated under the moniker Burn The Priest. After releasing their self-titled album, a split 7, and a split EP with Agents Of Satan, the band changed their name to Lamb Of God, added guitarist Will Adler (brother of Chris Adler) and signed to Prosthetic Records. Armed with a new name, new label and ten devastating new songs, the band teamed up with producer Steve Austin (Converge, Today Is The Day, Unsane) to create their debut, New American Gospel - a sonically pummeling album that became one of the best-received independent metal albums ever recorded. The success of the album landed the band on MTV, Much Music, DC Shoes commercials, and Fox Sports Net, in addition to some of the hottest tours of the past three years, including runs with Cannibal Corpse, Mushroomhead, GWAR, Six Feet Under, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall and Amen. // 10

Lyrics: It's not all just the music. The lyrics on this CD stand out as cynical, rage-inspired, downright beautiful pieces of poetry. Lamb Of God has a talent for turning old cliches into irony. There are phrases on the CD you wouldn't expect to hear in metal. // 10

Overall Impression: "We approached this record with a more conceptual and song oriented focus, rather than just stringing riffs together," says Morton. "It's more of a cohesive piece - another step in our evolution." Eight years of rock and roll have paid off in spades for Lamb Of God. Two names, three albums and countless shows - grinding days in the studio, endless hours in the van and ferocious nights on stage - Lamb Of God are re-defining American metal with each move. Lamb Of God embody the most essential qualities of a successful band: impeccable skill, a tireless work ethic and, perhaps most importantly, character. Hailed as the heroes of new American metal by legions of fans across the country, Lamb Of God have taken influences from bands like Slayer, Pantera and Sepultura and injected a contemporary extreme music aesthetic to create an unmistakable signature sound. With one of the most charismatic frontmen in rock and four awe-inspiring players behind him, Lamb Of God have mastered a sophisticated sound that transcends genres and can be appreciated by any open-minded music fan. // 10

As The Palaces Burn Reviewed by: gigi666, on august 28, 2006

Sound: Although Lamb Of God belong to the very famous New Wave Of American Heavy Metal movement along with other famous bands such as Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Chimaira, Trivium, Unearth, Mastodon or God Forbid, they have a slightly different type of music compared to most of all the bands I have just mentioned. Why? Because half of those bands are either metal-core or plain heavy metal! Lamb of God blends together a mix of death, thrash and heavy metal! The music will be constantly attacking your ears with heavy palm-muted chugga-chugga riffs; fast, technical and pounding drumming; and non-stop brutal, aggressive screams and roars done by Randy. But still, many people still consider them a metal-core band although there just plain wrong! I have yet to hear any singing or clean vocals. Ok now! First, let's compare As The Palaces Burn with New American Gospel. The very first thing I noticed on ATPB was that the production was much better. Now each instrument can be heard very well and even the bass is audible, an element that was not present on NAG. Also, forget all those incomprehensible lyrics Randy used to shriek before; now his screaming and roaring abilities have greatly improved making it possible for us listeners to actually understand what his saying most of the time. A good example would be in the song Ruin as he shows us that his roars can be very deep yet understandable. Now, let's talk about the guitars. Both Willie and Mark have improved as guitarists and now, they give us more intricate yet killer riffs rather than the simple, distorted ones that were on NAG. Also, I noticed that they experimented with a bit melody on your tracks like For Your Malice and 11th hour. But did I mention yet that they actually include solos? They are surely not your typical a la Children of Bodom type solos, but it really does add that little plus to the songs and of course it always a sign of progression of the guitarists and the band. Listen to Ruin, Purified, As the Palaces Burn or Boot Scraper. Chris Adler is no doubly another highlight of the band and the album as well. Almost of all of his drumming work is so technical that it the listener will never dare say that his drumming is straightforward. For example, at the breakdown in Ruin, his drumming is played at such a fast pace that he has to use a technique of his own (You can see it on the DVD: Killadelphia). And if you want to hear some very fast double-bassing, the song A Devil in Gods Country is just for you. // 8

Lyrics: As said previously, Randy has greatly improved his vocal skill! While having a low voice, you can still easily understand all his lyrics about politics, heresy, war etc. This is a very polictly-oriented album and many of Randy's enraged lyrics always focus on how courrupt the is american government and all the problems going on in the world because of it. But don't worry! Don't except lyrics like "F--k Bush and whole government". Randy is a very intelligent man and he shows that element through his lyrics. He uses those lyrics as his weapon continuously pointing towards the politicians. // 9

Overall Impression: To conclude, Lamb of God has shown that they could significantly improve all their past mistakes to give us metal-heads the album we want. And they just keep on improving with new album they release (Ashes of the Wake being my favourite album). Of course this type of music won't please everyone, I'm sure of that, but any person listening to any kind of metal should give this album a listen. Pros.: solos are finally there, fast and technical drumming, Randy improved his vocals, fast and complex guitar riffs, the breakdowns (Ruin, 11th Hour, As The Palaces Burn), audible bass. Cons.: many people might not like the chugga-chugga type riffs, the riffs are sometimes used over and over again. Standout tracks: Ruin (best song and very destructive), 11th Hour (a lot of complex melodic riffs), As The Palaces Burn (a very fast song), Vigil (Begins with a lonely acoustic intro but then builds up with a slow killer riff and just keeps on getting faster and faster). // 8

As The Palaces Burn Reviewed by: i_baked_cookies, on february 04, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album is amazing, simply amazing. It is so raw, so relentless, and so powerful. Every riff is genius, and every second of this CD is origional and monsterous. The riff from the first track (Ruin) is one of the best on the CD, and when the intro ends and all you hear is the guitar, you can easily notice that bonecrusing raw, almost disgusting tone of the guitar; its the kind of tone that gives you chills. Every riff on this CD and every track is genius in every aspect. In my opinion, there is absolutly nothing like it, and nothing to come even close to it. This CD is like pouring salty gasoline onto an open wound and rubbing it in. // 10

Lyrics: Randy Blythe is one of the last true lyric writers/singers of the new wave of American metal, hell, all metal for that. There are so many bands that just pass this crap whiny stuff... but Randy's words are different. Not only do they have meaning, they have power. Randy's voice alone is so origional and just plain badass. It complements the Mark's and Willie's guitars so well. // 10

Overall Impression: Lamb Of God defines metal. There are bands that are good, some are amazing, but Lamb Of God is outstanding. They are not only origional and fresh, but badass, raw, smart, fast, etc. It's almost unexplainable in a sense, all you have to do is buy this CD, put it in your car, crank the hell out of it, and listen. Take it all in at once, pay attention to the guitars, to the drums, and then to the vocals on the 2nd and 3rd time you listen to it, and you will easliy recognize the genius. When it comes to metal, this album is without a doubt number one. // 10

As The Palaces Burn Reviewed by: BlisteredNRaw, on march 25, 2006

Sound: Lamb Of God have got the ultimate combination in guitar and vocal sound which complement each other so well, Randy Blythe has one intense and definitive of guttural voice which crushes the listener with 100% power. Every song on this album has at least 2 or 3 parts that bring hairs up on the back of your neck, especially where the instrumental sections are concerned, which have this awesome way of moving from the main structure of the song and going into some murderous riffage, and pulling you back in to the song, keeping the songs fresh and worth pressing the repeat button for. This record carries a huge number of thrash elements and LOG have thrown them around and made something darker, complex, and simply awesome, out of them all. // 10

Lyrics: Although I haven't heard every LOG album to date, this album contains some very well written lyrics, Blythe has created an epic depiction of God, War, and Country, without being too brutal, with the metaphors in his words, this album has some very strong statements about his government and current events. And as I mentioned beforehand, Blythe's vocals are great, he doesn't change to clean vocals on this album; so the intensity is always there, unless there are spoken parts, which are also awesome. The only problem I can see with the vocals is in the mixing and how they are sometimes difficult to hear because of the great quality of the instrument recording. // 9

Overall Impression: As The Palaces Burn is a killer CD and one of a kind. Lamb Of God have, overall, done a fantastic job with writing this album. Some of the best songs are a little short, like the Title Track, which has you gasping for more when you reach the next song, however, other great songs include "11th Hour," "For Your Malice," "A Devil In God's Country," "Ruin" and the finisher "Vigil." I just love the variation and strength in the songs on this album, not a weak number in sight. As I said before the only thing I dislike is the mixing of the vocals and instruments, but it is tolerable. If something would happen to this album I would probably get it again. It's that good. Now go hear it for yourselves! // 10

As The Palaces Burn Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 25, 2010

Sound: Great band, great songs that will definetly stand the test of time and will end up being metal classics. Lots of very heavy, palm-muted groove metal type riffs from guitarists Mark Morton and Willie Adler and truly amazing and original drumming by drum master Chris Adler. I'd like to say that it it was definetly a good $14 spent. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very original, and very THRASH. If I had heard just the album's lyrics, without hearing the songs themselves, I would say right away that this is a thrash metal band. In terms of subject, As The Palaces Burn mostly covers topics such as religion and politics. VERY thrash metal. The vocalist and lyricist, Randy Blythe, is definetly an expert at what he does. He has one of the greatest guttural vocal techniques I have ever heard ever since I started listening to metal when I was 10. His screams vary from his original low, dog bark-sounding growls and high shreaks and screams which he has obviously mastered quite well in the previous Lamb of God albums. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is definetly comparable to other artist, but it is far superior. Lamb of God's originality is far superior from most other bands of its era or generation. Take the band Chimaira, for example. Chimaira is quite possibly also a groove metal band, but their overall sounds is not as heavy as Lamb of god, as hard as they try to make it. The best songs on the album are Ruin, As The Palaces Burn, 11th Hour and Vigil. The perfect example of LOG's originality is Vigil. Covering religion, it starts out with a clean, peaceful intro, but turns into a loud, heavy, sacrilegious masterpiece. I love this album. I would definetly buy it again, it is a classic. The only thing I hate about the album is the way it was produced. Randy Blythe's voice is nowhere near loud enough. // 10

More Lamb Of God reviews rating latest review