Ashes Of The Wake Review

lamb of god: Ashes Of The Wake
Released: Aug 31, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal
With Ashes, producer Machine has sharpened the corner of every riff and tightened the turns on classicist metal gallops.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.1
 9.1
Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: cptazad, on july 11, 2006

Sound: How to start off, the sound on this album is "unique" at worst, that's right worst, to try to think of it in it's best terms isn't possible, it kicks far too much ass. The first time I heard about Lamb of God I shrugged it off as some band trying to make it big with drop D tuned guitars, I've never been more glad to STFU. This is an amazing album, containing some of the most amazing riffs and the instrumental track is just insane. "Hourglass", "Faded Line", "Omerta", and "Break You" are definite winners when it comes to inginuity and innovation. Where other bands just recycle their riffs and power chords, these guys really make new things. Perfect example is in the song "Hourglass", forward it to 2:07 and have an orgasm that lasts until 3:00, no wanking required. The drums on this are just simply amazing, Joey Jordison=childsplay, who the hell is Lars Ulrich? So on so forth. Chris Adler is one of the best, scratch that last, the best metal drummer as of right now. No if's and's or but's. The fills and rolls are just awesome, and his use for dual bass is perfect, its not overused like some say. If you play guitar, prepare to be noobified. If you can learn half the songs on this album, congratulations, if not, welcome to the real world. Metallica to some extent is easier to learn. One word of advice, I had to listen to this album about 4 times through until I realized the greatness of this masterpiece, it won't appeal to you right off the bat. You'll find that most albums you don't like to begin with will grow on you over time (albeit not all albums) such as this one for sure. 01. Laid To Rest - great opener, could have been a bit heavier in parts, but I'd like to see other bands top it (that are in this genre and year). 02. Hourglass - definitely one of the best songs on this album, just an insane collection of pure raw energy in guitars, drums, and vocals. 03. Now You've Got Something To Die For - although I thought it was an unncessary track, it's still got some great parts, especially the vocals, just amazing vocals on this one. 04. The Faded Line - this is one of those songs that you listen to over and over again and can't get enough of, just freakin amazing. The whole band gives it 150% on this song, and I can only imagine the mayhem in the pits when they play this live. Simply amazing. 05. Omerta - starts of with a spoken part, not a bad starter as most would point out. Kind of slow and definitely "heavy". They employ a bit too many pinch harmonics in this song, but it's the chorus so ya, the vocals on this are top notch, a keeper for sure. 06. Blood Of The Scribe - overall good song, could have been much better, great fills in this one for drums (top notch), guitars could have done a better job and eased off the palm muting in some parts, vocals not as strong on this one. 07. One Gun - another great overall song, could have been better in some parts, the screams in this one are to die for, the only reason why this song is good, and there's a part in this particular song that saves it, forward to 0:48 and listen on fellow metalheads. 08. Break You - holy crap I think I wet myself when I first heard this song. Freaking awesome, puts all the band in the metal scene to shame just by this one song. Simply awesome, if anyone knows how to tab by ear, this song would be the one I highly recommend you tab next. Amazing guitars, and the vocals holy shit, listen for yourself, forward to 1:15 and prepare to blown away. Blythe's voice ranges so much it's amazing, puts Corey Taylor to shame. 09. What I've Become - an unnecessary track. 10. Ashes Of The Wake - holy shit, wow, listen to this now. Amazing solo's that will make you cry at night because you wish you could play as good as them (they had two extra guitarists come in, I'm sure you know who they are by now). 11. Remorse Is For The Dead - starts of slow and sad/creepy, and the dual bass in the starting is just so damn good, the first "drum" parts I learned from this album was the intro to this song, it sounds superb. But after that it kinda goes downhill unfortanately. // 9

Lyrics: System Of A Down should be ashamed, they're like a pop group compared to Lamb Of God. Especially this album out of all their other ones, its very political. This is one of the most anti-bush albums out in 2004, blowing SOAD out of the water. To think otherwise would be to believe a shovel is an ice cream truck, it ain't gonna happen dumbass. The vocalists voice ranges so much it's impossible to describe in words, no emo bullshit, no half assed screams, no stupid sounding growls. Pure energy. Just put the album on and judge for yourself, don't make me spoonfeed you this info. The lyrics flow naturally (unlike most of the songs/albums out right now) with the music for sure, no question about it. There are even parts where you begin to doubt that in the album, where you say to yourself "wait a minute, that doesn't seem to fit", listen closely and you'll realize that not only does it fit, it's a level above, if you catch my drift. We need bands that will help spread the word of corruption going on in the gov't, and although I applaud SOAD for doing that so far, move over, you have been usurped. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is an amazing album, right up there with Pantera's work (these guys are the next Pantera by the way). Personally, I got into them by listening to Slipknot (a while back), so I guess to some sense they relate to them, how I have no idea, but for me they do. I love how they've gone out of their way to make a unique album with some of the most impressive guitars I've heard in a looong time, and the drums, oh man, just delicious. The one thing I hate is that it seems to go at the same tempo (even though it does not, there are a lot of breakdowns however). They should have done some more post-production, but still an awesome album. Keeper tracks: Hourglass, The Faded Line, Omerta (if you like the dark growls/screams, which by the way I don't care too much for unless it's Blythe, all the other vocalists suck compared to him), Break You, Ashes of the Wake. If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again, add this to your collection it's totally worth the money, however much it may be. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2005

Sound: This is one of the best CDs I own. Ashes of the Wake is hard to put into words. You can't label it. The sound is incredible. Willie and Mark's guitar playing continues to evolve, and they just keep getting better. The masterpiece instrumental "Ashes Of The Wake," which features Alex Skolnek from Testament and Chris Poland from Megadeth can attest to this. The drums are also incredible. This is the best metal band since Slayer if you ask me. // 10

Lyrics: As the world continues to get more f--ked up, Randy's lyrics keep getting better. His voice is simply incredible. Nothing less. The lyrics in "Laid to Rest", "Now You've Got Something To Die For," "Hourglass" and "Omerta" can attest to this. I can't stress enough how great his lyrics are... he's a genius. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the best albums I own. By far. The songs are incredible, the sound, the lyrics... it's just great. The best song is Laid to Rest. Hourglass is great also - Lamb Of God refer to it as "The song that never remains the same" because of its constant progressions. There really isn't anything I dislike about this album. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another. Perfect 10/10. Lamb Of God are truly at the front of the New Wave Of American Heavy Metal. If you don't have this album, pick it up. And check out As The Palaces Burn, New American Gospel and Burn the Priest while you're at it - all of their albums own. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: stumtk, on february 20, 2006

Sound: In my opinion Lamb Of God is an extremely talented band. Some people say that Randy's singing really sucks or something like that but when you actually think about it his singing is very well done and it suits the music. His grinding voice goes along quite well with Mark and Willie's grinding guitars, and Chris's heavy drumming along with their bass player (can't remember his name). If you like heavy metal or thrash metal whatever you want to call it definatly pick this one up it's worth the money right from start to finish. // 10

Lyrics: Randy does a really good job with the lyrics and they arent just random emo screaming, they actually have meaning to them. The lyrics are mostly about the war on Iraq and other wars. The lyrics are very unique because the incorperate different ways of discribing what they are talking about using different phrases and words like "A slip of the tounge! A slit of the throat!" or "The blood's on the wall, so you'd might as well just admit it. And bleach out the stains, commit to forgetting it." or "Bombs to set the people free, blood to feed the dollar tree. Flags for coffins on the screen, oil for the machine." Overall the lyrics are done very good and fit surprisingly well with everything else. // 10

Overall Impression: I listen to a lot of different bands anywhere from Slipknot and Disturbed to the Eagles or Led Zeppelin and I would say that this album definatly ranks up in either 1st or 2nd place amung the other cds I own. My favorite songs off this cd are probably: Now You've Got Something To Die For, Hourglass, Omerta, Remorse Is For The Dead, Ashes Of The Wake (insturmental that is actually really neat cause the got a few other people from other bands to play solos) and of course Laid To Rest. Overall this is a great cd and I recommend it to anyone that likes heavy music with great guitar riffs, drums and singing. Even if you only like Lamb Of God a little bit but arent quite sure if you should spend the money on this album definatly pick this one up I'm sure you will like it. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2004

Sound: By far the bands strongest effort to date. It seems signing to a major label and having to write this album in a short amount of time have had little effect on the intensity and content of this album. The album is a work of sheer heaviness that is sonically superior to the bands previous efforts, with crisper, clearer guitar tones and a greater sense of melody. // 10

Lyrics: Lyracally this album deals with matters of politics pertaining to the current US political situation, this can be especially felt in the samples to the the Albums title track. Although not entirely politically charged there is an element of personal reflection to the subject matter, that is colored by well written lyrics. Although the vocal delivery seldom differs from the guttural, heavy metal growls one has come to expect from Lamb Of God, they fully complement the album and its material and are delivered with enough ennunciation to be clearly made out. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great metal CD that any fan of the genre should take a listen to. On a whole every song on this album flows so well into the next and are all well written, but some of the best tracks are the opener "Laid To Rest", "Omerta", and "Remorse Is For The Dead". One of the finest moments on the album has to be the instrumental "Ashes Of The Wake" which feature guitar solos from both Willie Adler and Mark Morton, as well as guest solos from Chris Poland and Alex Skolnick. If I lost this album I'd definately go out and buy it again. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: Guitargeek706, on november 22, 2004

Sound: Complete and utter waste of expensive equipment, talent, and time does not begin to describe this ten dollar excuse of a frisbee. Morton and Adler's guitars sound like kazoo's being run through a twenty dollar amp being played by twelve year olds who just discovered pinch harmonics and palm muting while the bass and drums are average at best. The only thing that saves this album from getting a 1 or even a 0 if possible are the solos and occasional errie intros. // 4

Lyrics: Blythe spits out lyrics of a politcal and human nature which are some what enjoyable if you can get past his not necessarily horrible, but better described as intersting voice. Despite being typical and unoriginal of this genre, and unable to follow any type of stanza formation the lyrics will get stuck in your head if you take the time to listen to them. // 6

Overall Impression: Ashes Of The Wake makes Metallica's St. Anger look like the holy grail of metal. The only memorable song on this album was Ashes Of The Wake which is actually an instrumental of solos made with the help of Chris Poland and Alex Skolnick. Despite this bad review Lamb Of God is actually a pretty decent band and very enteratining to watch live, but this album is simply not worth your money or time. If it was stolen I would laugh and feel sorry for the theif who is about to waste the next forty eight minutes of his life. If I can help anyone with this review in anyway it would be stay away from his album and get Megadeth's The System Has Failed. // 4

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: SlipDolls1Joey, on november 22, 2004

Sound: This album is for sure their best to date. They have definitely evolved from what they used to be. The album sounds great, guitars great, drums great, everything about this album is great. This is just a staright forward heavy metal album. This is the way all bands should make their albums. The 2nd to last track on this album, Ashes Of The Wake, the sound of the guitars are great. Mark Morton and Willie Alder are pure genius with their sound. This album was said to be very political and it is if you really look into it. In the long run Lamb Of God just keeps getting better. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics were very intense. They were very political. Lyrics seemed to fit right into the riffs, when Randy's screaming started the guitars went insane. Very good lyrical song on this album was track 5, Omerta; this is by far one of the best musical and lyrical song I have heard from them. Randy's voice has matured. His yell has now become a one of a kind yell. Much like Maynard, Corey Taylor, Rob Halford, and Ozzy have earned there unique voice I belive Randy has found his own place among these legends. // 10

Overall Impression: Some my say Lamb Of God switching to a major label was bad for them and will ruin them. I believe this has changed them for the better. There are three songs that really blew me away. The first was Omerta, this song was just so intense, even though it is somewhat slow it can really pump you up. Second is The Faded Line, this song is amazing, nothing really to point out on it but I thought it was an awesome song. And last but not least Ashes Of The Wake, this is an equivalent to Metallica's Call Of Ktulu, amazing solos by four geniuses, Mark Morton, Willie Alder, and the other 2 which I cannot recall right now. There is nothing really to hate about this album this is an album that you can definitely listen to the whole thing and not realize it. If this CD was stolen I would kill the person who took it, if it got lost I would just be pissed and buy a new one. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Sound: Lamb Of God is an awsome band defintly my favorite. They really got cheaped on this album. The guitar work in itself is awsome I love that idiot who said they can't play is full of it. The drum work is good also however the recording sucks. The sound would be so much better if you took the same awsom music and recorded it better. Also the mixing sucks too the mixing on the album didn't go over well at all. If you take the same stuff and record it better you get a 5 out of 5 but the recording and mixing really drags the album down. But the awesome guitar work, sweet drumming, great riffs, and awesome inspiring leads are just well incredible. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are defintly good. I love them the overall sound is creepy, cool, wierd, intresting and awsome. The actual words being said are perfect Randy weaves a tapistry of insane growling. He spits out political, and emotional great stuff. The only thing I don't like is that his screaming is a 10 out of 5 but you can only scream to a certain point. The only guy I can listent to scream constantly is Max Cavalara (excuse any mispeling) from Sepultura. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this album defitnely perfect its excellent. The album burn the priest was awsome but the follow up AS The Palaces Burn beat the hell out of it and now Ashes Of The Wake beats that down. Every song is awsome but my favorites are Laid To Rest, The Faded Line, Omerta, One Gun, Break You, Ashes Of The Wake, and Remorse Is For The Dead. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: LeaveNoAshes, on february 09, 2005

Sound: Lamb of God have made one of the best metal albums of 2004 with their release "Ashes Of The Wake". The guitar sound is very clear and heavy. Chris Adler (drummer) is like no other metal drummer in his energy to pound out the best sounds from his kit. Willie Adler (guitar) and Mark Morton (guitar) prove that they are a force to be reckoned with in this album. They both play their parts with precision high energy. John Campbell (bass) has some shining moments in this album in songs like Laid to Rest and Omerta. Randy Blythe (vocals) delivers the goods with his screaming, growling, and singing, and also talking on this album full on hidden suprises. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are very political. Almost every track has some sort of look upon the government or war. The track that stands out from the rest lyrically is One Gun which talks about a US soldier in the war. The track Ashes Of The Wake also hits you hard, even though it is an instrumental, there is talking in the begining and the end. "I'm not gonna kill civilians for the United States Marine Corp" is the line recited at the end of Ashes of the Wake and it goes perfectly with the end of the song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is definately one of the best albums in the metal genre. I cannot compare this album to anything else, it stands by itself. Some of the most impressive songs on this album are Remorse Is For The Dead, Omerta, Now You've Got Something To Die For, and the instrumental Ashes Of The Wake. I myself loved the album as a whole. If this album was stolen or lost I would absolutly buy it again with just as much excitment as buying it for the first time. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2005

Sound: Lamb Of God, is in a sort a savior in the bands these days where almost every band sounds exactly the same with power chords at drop D, and hardcore growls to sound heavy. Adler and Morton are really good guitarists, but at times the riffs sound frantic, and some do sound the same. It's pretty interesting how they use some middle eastern themes on their records, but it's getting a bit tired. A lot of their riffs could be used as solos, but that's not necissarily a good thing. It's confusing and there are really no riffs that stick with you at the end of the record, but the intricacy (sorry for the spelling) is really refreshing. The drummer is really good, but on albums they seem very weak, and it's not too original considering like every other band out there it's constant battery on the bass drums and nothing too innovative. // 8

Lyrics: Blythe is what really sets this band apart from other metalcore bands out there, his scream and his growls have his distinctive sound. Only a few bands have their own original sound to the screams. Blythe is a great lyricist in my opinion, very political and it does make you think. But only a few lines will stick with you. // 10

Overall Impression: With the complete rarity of great bands these days (Opeth, Chimaira, Unearth just to name a few, very few are un-mentioned). It is worth a place in any metal fans library. Try out some of their songs on guitar or bass and get your ass kicked, but if you do learn their songs you should be proud because they are chaotic and intricate. Overall, pick it up if you don't already have it, Lamb Of God are truly leading the new metal barrage. You should also pick up Opeth's epic Morningrise, or Chimaira's The Impossibility Of Reason. // 8

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: Enduora, on april 07, 2006

Sound: This is the band's 3rd release as the band Lamb Of God and argueably their best effort yet. The production on this record has much improved in comparison to their previous 2, making it much more enjoyable in my opinion. On this record, you can tell the band has matured in the songwriting process, tracks such as "Hourglass" and "Blood Of The Scribe" show this more mature sound that Lamb of God is developing. This album is based guitar-wise on alot of chromatic riffing and lines, which makes it a bit more darker, Testament/Slayer influenced perhaps. What I really enjoy about this record is how the guitar riffs can be technical, but very listenable. Great songwriting, musical drumming, great vocal interaction, and better production. Buy this record, one of the best metal releases of 2004. // 10

Lyrics: Singers skills: Exellent. His highs and lows both are very good, and has his own signature sound in my opinion. His lowest growling is probably towards the end of the song "Break You" while his highest vocal pattterns are towards the beginning of "Now You've Got Something To Die For" I think he has great range, and his rhythmic interaction with the instrumental make the song much more intense and more noticeable. One of my favorite albums, vocally, in metal. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is something that will always do it for me. Every second off this record is awesome. There is no doubt in my mind, that this album may someday be influential to bands 10 years from now, as At The Gates influenced bands with their "Gothenburg" melodic thrash metal. Really, all the tracks are impressive, but at first listen, I would pick "Hourglass," "The Faded Line" and "One Gun." If you haven't heard this album, but aren't sure if you want to purchase it, listen to those three to get an idea of the album's sound. A phenomenal record that I won't ever forget. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: honorthydead, on october 09, 2006

Sound: In my opinion that this album cemented Lamb of God as one of the best metal bands today. The track list is an nonstop onslaught of death/new metal. From the first single "Laid to Rest" to the acoustic introduction of "Remorse For The Dead" and my favorite track "Hourglass", all the tracks are insanely good. They are all extrememly tight and complex, Mark Morton and Willie Adler came up with some killer riffs on this album. Randy, Chris, and John also lay down some killer tracks, everything is incredible. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are a great improvement from the days of Burn The Priest, and even from New American Gospel. They seem to be more thought out, and have a very deep meaning. Not to mention that Randy's vocals aremuch clearer on this album than on the previous 2. The aggression in the lyrics are equal to the aggression in the music. // 8

Overall Impression: This album blows away the other two, they're not bad, but this album is incredible. Lamb Of God really stepped up the music and the lyrics on this album. What do I love about it? Everything. What do I hate nothing? Nothing, seriously. Oh, and if someone stole this album, I'd kill them. Don't mess with my Lamb Of God. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: hourglass337, on december 21, 2006

Sound: Great but that's a tad bit of generousity. It sounds really cool while your listening to it but then you look up the tabs and the intro is flyin' all over the neck but then the verse is just "0, 0... 0, 0, 0, 0... " and on and on. Although, "Ashes Of The Wake" is a damn good song they don't play all of it just about half of it. The drums are still very impressive and same with John Campell on bass but Willie and Mark could've stepped it up a little on the guitar. // 8

Lyrics: What do you get when you take the rage of a thousand protesters, the vision of Che Guevera, the talent of Bob Marley, and the heart of Charlemge? Randy D. Blythe. The great thing about this album is they orginaly wrote the over half the songs as poems then wrote the music. Also they will repeat a verse or a chorus just as a spoken word undertone. Randy's preformance in this album is flat out amazing! He does a great job with mixing the old Burn the Preist sound that you can barely understand with the new, great simple screaming sound. // 10

Overall Impression: Amazing. Lets just say that. There is not a singal song on here that I don't like. Songs such as "Laid to Rest", "Hourglass", "Omerta", or "Remorse Is For The Dead" are all rated 5 stars on my computer. Lamb of God took a completey different look at things and a lot of risks by making this album and I admire them for that. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: Mavanas, on january 31, 2007

Sound: First off, the sound is amazing. From the opening riff to the closing cymbal bash, this album bleeds Metal. They really mixed this well or something because by far Ashes is the best sounding album when played on a CD Player. Not that Sacrament, As Palaces Burn, and New American Gospel are any worse, it just the audio is extremely crisp and sounds awesome on Ashes. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the lyrics on Ashes are like the ones on N.A.G or Palaces. But some of them have a new sound to them. For instance the marine in the Song Ashes of The Wake or Hourglass. All in all, Lamb Of God sticks to similar lyrics while pounding out great sounding music all of the time(or most of it). So all I can say is if you've heard the others, then you can look toward something similar in Ashes. Nonethless Ashes does continue to sound different then all of the other albums. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to other artists of the genre L.O.G pulls this one off for sure. In Guitar World I think Chris Adler was quoted as saying: "It's hard for us to do a new tour because every time we go out we end having to play at least one or two songs from Ashes of Wake" or somewhat like that. The reason they have to keep playing them again is because they are good. Honestly there really aren't any songs I would skip at all on this CD. The most impressive songs on this album would probably be Hourglass, Laid To Rest and Omerta. What I love about Ashes is that no matter how many times you listen to it, you will always come back to it sometime. I found that quite common for me with Lamb Of God. // 9

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: thegrungyhippie, on august 21, 2007

Sound: If you haven't listened to Lamb Of God, I can honestly say you are missing out on one of the best bands out there. Randy Blythe's intense vocals combined with the dropped tuning of blistering guitar riffs and intricate drumming. That is how I describe Lamb of God. Pure American metal and Pure Talent. Ashes of the Wake is all out hardcore metal from front to back. The best part of this album is no matter if the music is simple, or complex, it sounds amazing. // 10

Lyrics: I believe it is Blythe and Morton who wrote the lyrics for this album, and they are great lyricists at that. The lyrics of the album are based on a political view. This is obvious on songs like "Now You've Got Something To Die For", (which to me is about the Holocaust), and "Ashes of the Wake", (which in the beginning and end of the song have lyrics about civilian murder during the War on Terror). // 9

Overall Impression: The whole "Ashes Of The Wake" album is a great work, but my personal favorites are "Omerta" and the infamous "Laid To Rest". I've listened to Lamb of God a lot before buying this album (I had some connections through a friend), and now after buying it, I definately plan on getting all of Lamb of God's other albums. If you are a metal fan who loves raspy vocals, wicked double bass, and crazy guitars, this is the album and band for you. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: totalxanarchy, on october 29, 2007

Sound: This CD has some of the best sound I've ever heard in an album. Chris Alder worked some insane drum beats and fills into the music, and John Campbell played more of the melody along with Willie and Mark. The guitars put in harmonized parts that really complimented Randy Blythe's growling, and the bass sounded very crunchy, to go along with the drums. And unlike As the Palaces Burn, you could actually hear the drums and bass clearly. 01. Laid To Rest - one of my favorite songs on this album, it mixes in overlapping guitar and bass, along with awesome drums to back it all up. 02. Hourglass - this song really got me obsessed with Lamb of God. There's a lot of different changes that make it better to listen to, instead of the same riffs over and over again. This song also has an awesome bass part, and being a bass player myself, this song sure did keep me busy for a while. 03. Now You've Got Something To Die For - I never really liked this song at first, but after listening to it for a while, all of the fast changes and screaming vocals just got to me. 04. The Faded Line - this is another song that I didn't like at first, but the mini chromatic scales and constant double bass drumming changed my mind. Even though it is pretty repetitive, it's still a cool song. 05. Omerta - for a slow song, it kicks ass pretty hard. The very beginning makes you wonder what Omerta really means, and Randy's high pitched screaming really compliments the guitars. 06. Blood Of The Scribe - this song has some of the coolest guitars I've heard in a long time. The bass sounds very good playing along with the melody, and the drums hold all of it in place. 07. One Gun - a pretty good song, with droning guitars and constant mind blowing drumming. 08. Break You - a very good song, with amazing guitar and bass. Randy really shows his range of voice in this song too, from is low rumbling to his high pitched growly screaming. 09. What I've Become - I really don't like this song. Too different in sound from the rest of the album. It would've sounded better on Sacrament, I think. 10. Ashes Of The Wake - this song is amazing. When I first heard it I was just blown away by all of the crunching bass, blaring guitar solos, and awesome drums. I've probably listened to it over a hundred times now. If your a guitar or bass player, this song will frustrate you out of your mind at first, but once you get a hang of it, it's just amazing. 11. Remorse Is For The Dead - my absolute favorite song on this album, it starts out slow and creepy, but then builds up into a... I don't know how to explain it. A great finishing song, though, the way it ends at a decresendo. // 9

Lyrics: Because of this album, Lamb of God is my new favorite band. Randy's screaming voice is the most unique I've ever heard from a band, unlike Howard Jones' more ordinary screaming or Corey Taylor's infuriated screams and growls. Growling goes along with the crunch of the other instruments very well, I think. Much better then melodic singing or loud yelling, like Shadows Fall. Besides the singing going along with the music, this album is uber-political. Take Ashes of the Wake, even though there's only like 30 seconds of vocals in the whole song, they really reflect the war in Iraq and what we're doing to the people there. It seems like the new trend for bands these days is to spread the word against politicians and the government. But who cares, it makes good music. // 10

Overall Impression: This album defietly lives up to the standards I had after As The Palaces Burn. The sound, the singing, the meaning, and even the cover art. The cover art is freakin awesome, in my opinion. This album completely destroys all thoughts I had of other albums from different artists that I thought were amazing. I still can't believe the songs Ashes Of The Wake, Hourglass, and Remorse Is For The Dead. Of the whole album, those songs probably had the best sound, screaming, and the deepest meaning. The only thing I didn't like about this album was What I've Become. I still think it would've sounded better on Sacrament or even New American Gospel. If I lost this album, then I would definetly spend all of my money getting another copy plus maybe 10 other backup copies, just in case I lost it again. // 10

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: wildchild6660, on april 23, 2008

Sound: The best way to describe this album heavy. Sorry, no other way to say it. A lot of people describe Lamb of God's sound as nu-metal but the first time I listened to their songs I thought I was listen to a death metal album and I don't see why anyone whose into metal in general should not like it. The drumming is pretty impressive and the guitar playing is very original. You'll never hear riffs like from any other band. Case and point is Ashes of the wake. Pretty cool solos too and they also play some weird chord shapes occasionally throughout the album. Thi album single handedly convinced me to take a closer look at my own guitar playing and to think outside the box. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty cool. Very political but nothing groundbreaking in that department. They do however go well with the overall mood of the songs as do the vocals. There are some spoken parts in Omerta and Ashes of the wake which I think are pretty cool. I think there are a lot of vocalist who are better than Randy Blythe but non that would fit in so well with LoG's style. // 8

Overall Impression: There is co song that I particularly disliked, which is pretty rare. The best songs from would have to be Omerta, Hourglass, Blood Of The Scribe and of course Ashes Of The Wake. I'm still not attached enough to this album to break down and cry if it was stolen, which is one reason why I'm only giving it 7/10. The other reason is that if you've never tried to make up a guitar riff in your life you would truly appreciate the guitar work on this album. The same goes for drum. They should have made Ashes of the wake the first track on the album. Overall, this album is definitely worth buying and a great way to start if you're new to Lamb Of God. I can't compare it to any other album because it doesn't sound like any album I've ever listened to. Get this album and enjoy! // 7

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2008

Sound: Alright, Lamb Of God are massive, as they are going to show us their new DVD Walk With Me In Hell, thanks to 2006 album Sacrament. They probably wouldn't the confidence to push themselves if it weren't for 2004's Ashes Of the Wake. As far as guitars go, this living proof that you don't always need solos to blow people away. Although Mark Morton and Will Adler don't do any solos 'til track seven. Their rhythm (and memory) gives over-cocky lead guitarists a lesson in embarassment. You try mastering Now You've Got Something To Die For. The sound is great, really crisp guitar sounds not over-polished by Pro Tools. As for the rhythm section, Chris Adler can really bang that snare and those cymbals. John, the bassist? I don't think he had grey hair in 2004. // 9

Lyrics: Even the biggest death metalheads didn't have a bloody clue want Randy Blythe was screaming about in Black Label, back in 2000, but here he is way more understandable. Put it this way; if manbearpig was a metal band frontman, he would have Blythe's voice (I mean that in a good way). His doom metal voice is deeper than the twilight zone and his scream sounds like that of a banshee, but that's sometimes annoying in songs like Blood Of The Scribe. Some people prefer Ashes... than to Sacrament, because of Ashes' topic on political matters rather than the self-conscious Sacrament. Blythe growls his political beliefs in "dying with honour" in Now You Got Something To Die For. But even when he's not political you'll still love he roars "see who gives a f--k!" // 8

Overall Impression: Laid To Rest, a wailing harmonic riff and blythe practically spitting in your face, awesome intro to Ashes Of The Wake. Hourglass, Testament-style thrash, not really with a standard structure, but who cares? Now You've Got Something To Die For, my favourite LOG song, with everything you could want (except a solo), and breakdown that's to die for: that bad pun was not intended. // 9

Ashes Of The Wake Reviewed by: alexander_MCR, on april 14, 2011

Sound: "Ashes Of The Wake"? The best Lamb Of God album ever!? Y.E.S. From opener powerful and absolute crushing "Laid To Rest" to the brooding closer "Remorse Is For The Dead" you know that this could possibly be one of the best metal albums ever. It kicks so much ass your scared you might wake up in hospital when the final note ends. it annihilates your ears with some great drumming courtesy of Chris Adler, some wicked riffs, from Guitarists/Bassist Mark Morton and William Adler (Chris's little brother) and John Campbell. And vocalist Mr. Randy Blythe is still as incredible as he ever was! // 10

Lyrics: Songs like "Laid To Rest" have some very serious pick-yourself-up-and-fight-lyrics to them. The title track actually has no lyrics, just some spoken words about America, and the Middle-east conflict, that is no put down more of a statement of what the band are on about on some of their songs. However, to be in a metal band, a true heavy metal band alot of this is to be expected, remember these guys would have grown up in their teens in the late 80's, early 90's and metal wasn't all that popular among the click kids in school. So obviously songs like "The Faded Line" will have some of that brutality in them. // 10

Overall Impression: "Ashes..." out takes all of LOG's previous albums, its fast, its heavy, its hardcore, it is destructive and it is gauranteed to start a circle pit anywhere! stand out tracks: "Laid To Rest." "Now You've Got Something To Die For." "Omerta" "The Faded Line." "One Gun." A must buy! Horns Up! // 10

More Lamb Of God reviews rating latest review