New American Gospel Review

lamb of god: New American Gospel
Released: Sep 26, 2000
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal
It provides a mighty oak upon which gritty American metal's faith is maintained, effectively bridging the '90s' insistence upon drill-sergeant technicality and the old school's determined focus on riff construction.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.9
 8.7
New American Gospel Reviewed by: MetaltilIm60, on february 27, 2006

Sound: This being their first record it is understandable that it will in no way be their best. The band really sounds like they are trying to find their sound and come close without completely nailing it. Even Randy's voice sounds less polished than on their later albums. On this record Randy hasn't quite developed the powerful distinctive voice that he has on their later records and as a result ends up sounding like 20 million other metal singers. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are standard metal death and anger. Nothing special. The lyrics are extremely hard to understand on this record and I found myself holding the CD booklet while listening to the album and asking myself, "What?" Like I said earlier, Randy's voice isn't as powerful and distinct as it is in their next albums and he hasn't yet been inspired to write his usual political lyrics so the songs sound like every other metal band out their. // 8

Overall Impression: This is by no means their best work. But it's not all that bad considering it's their first record. If you already have "Ashes Of The Wake" and "As The Palaces Burn" go buy this record so you can have all their full length cds. It is not an exactly stunning debut, but not all that bad nevertheless. If you are just getting into metal and/or Lamb of God than start out by buying "As The Palaces Burn" or "Ashes Of The Wake" first than go back and buy this record. If it were lost or stolen I would burn myself another copy of off iTunes. // 8

New American Gospel Reviewed by: dieiervonstn, on march 23, 2005

Sound: This is one of the heaviest CDs I have heard (and I've heard alot). The first Lamb Of God CD I heard was 'As The Palaces Burn' and I thought that was heavy. Which it is, but 'New American Gospel' is rawer and heavier than the 2 newer LOG CDs ('...Palaces...' and 'Ashes Of The Wake'). Lamb Of God is one of the few real metal bands around today, alongside Mastodon, Chimaira, Slipknot (just kidding), Meshuggah, and Dillinger Escape Plan. Lamb Of God is one of my favorite bands, and definitely my favorite metal band. // 10

Lyrics: Randy Blythe's vocals are not enunciated at all throughout this CD, which makes it easier to listen to the music without having to understand what he's saying. But as I read the lyrics, I know he does have alot to say. 'A Warning' is pretty much just that warning people not to f--k with him. 'The Black Dahlia' is about a murder case still baffling police officers. (There is also a band called The Black Dahlia Murder, kick ass band, but anyway). On later LOG releases, Randy still has alot to say, but you can understand him without the lyric book. Good luck doing that on this album. But when you finally do understand what he's saying, it's amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: Lamb Of God is the standard of metal today. And they keep stepping it up with each new CD. They will never get old, and I know they will never go soft. It's not in their blood. They even call themselves "pure american metal". How true. They will kick your ass with every brutal listen. My favorite songs on this cd are 'Black Label' (which they have a video for), 'A Warning', 'In The Absence Of The Sacred' (the first song I have heard by LOG), 'Terror And Hubris In The House Of Frank Pollard', and 'Confessional', but every song is killer. This CD is f--kin' amazing, and will always be in my top 10 CDs, which says alot. It will never get old, and it will continue to change musicians for years to come. The best part is, Lamb Of God never wanted to "make it" or "become big", which proves they are in it for the music, to play kick ass metal for us, and basically to kick our ass every day. Rock on Lamb Of God. // 10

New American Gospel Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 30, 2005

Sound: Quality of this album isnt amazing but, if you want to talk about talent then this album deff has some on it. I'm a huge LOG fan and I really love them. They are instrumental band focusing on awsome guitar riffs and solos, killer double bass drumming and busy percussions to carry their music not keyboards or synths. Fav songs Black Label and Confessional. // 9

Lyrics: Randy Blythe has some of the craziest vocals ever and has a good range within his graspe. He simply is the show stopper simply because of his talent. Very hoarse, low, growly and just plain evil. However the vocals do sound pretty messed up on this album on as the palaces burn and ashes of the wake they come out better. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to LOGs other albums what can I say all of their albums are awsome and instant classics in the metal world. This is however my fav album of them tied with as the palaces burn if this album was lost I would deff buy it again. Great album overall, lots of passion, anger and emotion in this. Anger being that emotion. Great album. // 10

New American Gospel Reviewed by: South-of-Heaven, on december 20, 2006

Sound: New American Gospel is the first album from the guys under the name Lamb of God. It is mistaked by far too many as a death metal act. It may be dark, heavy, and mostly impossible to understand without the lyrics book (and sometimes even with it), but it is within the boundries of metalcore. Right. The sound. Kinda crap really. Too bleak for my liking. Most songs here are good, don't get me wrong, but, as with many metalcore/post-thrash groups before it, it can get too heavy for it's own good in places. But if you want to make your ears bleed, and you want a change from Machine Head and Pantera and co., then get this. Get the reissued one, because it has the bonus track "Nippon", which uses heaviness to it's full advantage, along with "Black Label" and "Letter To The Unborn". // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics here are very good, but the way they are sang can really ruin the sound of the music, I mean, take "Black Label" and "Subtle Arts" where he doesn't even sing the lyrics right. As a matter of fact, Blythe was drunk when they recorded this. And they only had one day to record as well. But his vocals improve on later albums, so if you want something to sing along to get Palaces or Ashes or Sacrament. But this was obviously engineered for full on rockers that can stand really really loud stuff. Anyway, as you may or may not know, Randy Blythe can do just about whatever he wants with his demonic voice. So you will know what to expect on tracks like "Black Label", "Pariah", and "Confessional" when he, as if by magic, turns his low growl to an ear piercing screech in like a milli-second. That's what stops me giving the lyrics a 5, because it's so cool to listen to, and it sound brilliant. // 7

Overall Impression: It was the first LoG album I bought, so I expected the other two (Ashes and Palaces, Sacrament wasn't even thought up back then) to be heavier. But that's what's so decieving about the band with this album. It's harldy anything like the later ones. Anyway, if I had to pick three songs from this album, it would be "Black Label", "The Subtle Arts of Murder and Persuasion" and "Letter to the Unborn". "Black Label" has the cutting edge aggression, and is also the fixture at the end of most of their shows. "A Warning" is my least favorite song from the album, mainly because it's only got like three riffs in it so it's really boring. "In The Abscence Of The Sacred" is all about how technology is taking over, how life is "Digitized, itemized, and commidofied". Quite good, but you'll go off it after a while. "Letter To The Unborn" is blisteringly fast, and basically just awesome. But there are no lyrics for it in the booklet, so it might as well just be instrumental. "The Black Dahlia" is a confusing title, as it refers to a murder in the 80s that police still can't solve today, but the lyrics go on about an evil being of poverty and decay. Quite good, but not the best song here. "Terror and Hubris" is overlong. The start and end are really long and boring, but the middle is kind of okay. Features a guy called Steve Austin. I don't know if this is the wrestler Steve Austin, or just some unknown random guy. But his screams make Blythe sound boring on this one, which is bad because there's more Blythe than Austin here. "The Subtle Arts" has a creepy intro, so listen to it at night on your own. that's what I do. Anyway, this has a load of cool riffs and vocals and is my number two from the whole album. "Pariah" is the most aggressive in terms of lyrics. I love the bit where he's screaming for ages and then the music just stops and he goes "F--k off and die", I find that really cool and quite funny. "Confessional" has an overlong, but catchy beginning. There is this awesome bit somewhere in the middle where it all just stops and then Blythe goes as high as he can while the music around him pulses up to an amazing 352 bpm. that's what I love about this song. "ODHGABFE" stands for 'Officer Dick Head Gets A Black f--king Eye' and is all about police. Cool. Would have been a favorite but "Letter To The Unborn" is slightly better. Good riffs in this one. If you have the reissue, you will have "Nippon". Something about Japan, which is why it was originally on the Japanese version on this album. Crazy vocals here, and a truly addictive track altogether. Also, three pointless demoes on the reissue that I won't waste my time on. Overall, New American Gospel is a good (official) debut for a great band. You won't want to start with this, instead start with "Ashes Of The Wake". But overall, great effort. Rock on. // 9

New American Gospel Reviewed by: serpent_sun, on july 23, 2009

Sound: Lamb Of God have been at the forefront of the NWOAHM since they first hit it big in 2003 after a label change to Prosthetic Records. At this point in time, the band has become a household name for metalheads, with the general attitude towards them being very 'love it' or 'hate it'. Always evolving but never compromising, Lamb Of God's virulent breed of groove-oriented post-thrash is far from easy on the ears. If metal infused with limp-dicked clean melodic choruses is your bag of chips then you need not enter this lumbering, back-breaking machine. Your pansy ass is better off listening to Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying and the rest of the tired clean-cut cop-outs currently dominating the metalcore scene. Lamb Of God's signature sound consistently grows more raw and animalistic the further back you travel into the groups discography. While the band's newer releases have garnered them a considerable amount of attention, the band's finest hour sadly happens to also be their most ignored effort. Thankfully it has been re-released this year, and will hopefully motivate the casual fans to experience and relish this brutal slab of pure american metal. New American Gospel explodes with the single Black Label, an instant LoG classic. This is the song that spawns the infamous Wall Of Death moshpit at LoG shows, it's sheer brutality serves as a worthy testament to this abyss of head-banging pandemonium. The song itself is a furious grime-splattered mosher of chunky Drop D chords, technical drumming filled to the brim with piercing cymbal crashes and double bass drum runs, and Randy Blythe's crushing vocals. The track doesn't let up until it's ominously heavy and agonizingly slow outro. // 10

Lyrics: For my money, Chris Adler is currently one of top dogs in skinbashing. He strays from common beats and fills found in metal music, and relies on his own technical and off-beat creativity. His patterns are quirky but driving, and constantly inspired. He deserves all the respect he can get for his skills, and he is the true heart and soul of Lamb Of God. Of course the other star here is frontman Randy Blythe himself; His voice is just monstrous, ranging from a low death growl, to his signature bark, to a psychotic high pitched shriek. His vocal work is fiendishly commanding, and when all these elements tie in with tight musicianship, we are left with a unique steamrolling brand of heavy metal which grabs you by the throat and pummels you. A Warning is another mid-paced slice of ball-busting metal, and even ventures into pure death metal territory at the 1:15 minute mark at which point total bedlam ensues, leading into a crazed stop-start finale with Blythe's possessed desecration of vocal cords flying from every direction. Other highlights include the blackened crawl of Terror And Hubris In The House Of Frank Pollard which opens with a lengthy intro of Pantera-like grooves complete with wailing solo in the background. A minute and a half in, it shifts gears and enters an urgent vortex of everything that's great about Lamb Of God; It's all over the board, exploring every nook and cranny of the band's sound, from the slower give-and-take chunky riffage the group is known for, to the bouts of rapid pounding hysteria when the quintet finally breaks loose. Randy's screech sounds more demented than ever on this track, eerily resembling ex-Gorerotted vocalist Mr. Gore. // 10

Overall Impression: The Black Dahlia and Pariah also standout, both being inflexibly jagged offerings from a band at the top of their game. Chris Adler drives these songs through the roof with his splintering rhythms and piercing hi-hat. The ladder also builds into perhaps the greatest moment in the band's discography, utterly breaking loose and rampaging the listener into the ground, literally making it impossible to retain your composure due to instinctual headbanging euphoria. This is one for the pits. LoG sticks to their guns on New American Gospel and seem abundantly content with their sound as all ten tracks fire in the same general direction. To put it simply, if you loved Black Label, you'll love this disc. Many listeners are likely to have a bone to pick with the production job. Yes, the production is very rough and the drums are at the fore-front with the guitars playing second fiddle. This will annoy a few, but I say it fits the bleakly raw content. However they have just re-released this with apparently better production quality, so give that a shot if you have a problem. I haven't heard it myself, but I've been hearing good things, so I'm not going to bitch. LoG has significantly evolved over the years, trading in raw brutality for more technical guitar work and a more polished sound. While their more recent polished records still get a lot of rotation in my CD Player, I always find myself longing for New American Gospel. A deadly but delicious concoction of heavy metal at its most animalistic and fundamental, with no artificial sweetener, and no excess fat in need of trimming. New American Gospel proves that it's still possible to shake the earth with the bare essentials in this world full of frilly and gimmicky "metal" acts. For that, my hat is off for Lamb Of God. // 10

New American Gospel Reviewed by: ICreamsodAI, on december 26, 2006

Sound: If anyone has ever listened to Lamb Of God, their immediate first impression is usually somewhere along the lines of 'Holy Shit!' Whether or not someone is a fan, no one can deny Lamb Of God's unrelentless deliverance of complex vocal lines, anarchist driven lyrics, political influence, hypnoticly thumping bass lines, machine gun drums, and of course Mark Morton's mind blowing guitar lines. // 10

Lyrics: Randy Blythe definately does something special when it comes to vocals. Blythe brings a new edge to the vocalism of heavy metal, often defined by his strange ability to scream in 'key'. His vocals tend to drone as a sort of ambiance complementing the instrumentals by working in many different rhythm patterns at once. The only problem with Randy is that there is absolutely no way to decifer what he is saying just by listening on New American Gospel. // 7

Overall Impression: The Black Dahlia is my favorite song on this ablum. It adds a new twist to more traditional thrash roots by adding in an uncommon complexity in the guitar riffs that is not over exagerated as the main focus, but instead compliments everything else in the song. This CD is a must own for anyone who has any intrest in the band. // 10

More Lamb Of God reviews rating latest review