Wrath Review

lamb of god: Wrath
Release Date: Feb 24, 2009
Label: Epic
Genres: Groove metal, thrash metal
Lamb of God don't experiment nor do they turn any sort of corners or veer off the path on Wrath. And that's a very good thing. The Virginia metal band gets back to brain-battering basics on an album that crackles with metallic intensity.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.9
 8.8
 8.9
Wrath Reviewed by: UG Team, on february 25, 2009

Sound: Wrath is most similar to Lamb of God's debut, New American Gospel, in that it's raw, unfettered, chest-heaving metal. While the band has progressed and polished things, relatively speaking, with each successive album, Wrath isn't any sort of step backwards; it's a pleasant surprise to see the band return to its sludgier roots for an album's worth of material! Sure, Wrath's predecessor, Sacrament, housed the band's most accessible song to date in Redneck, but that song still kicked a whole galaxy of ass regardless of its somewhat singable chorus. On Wrath, LOG pump the gas and hits its stride at 150 miles per hour and never apply the brakes. It's an assault on your ears and encourages maximum headbanging. While LOG aren't known for shredding, the guitar work offered up by Willie Adler and Mark Morton is the band's most impressive to date. Strangely enough, the album gets better as you go deeper; LOG doesn't blow its load in the first two songs as many bands tend to do on an album. The best songs come later in the disc, with Broken Hands (track seven), Dead Seeds (track eight), and Everything to Nothing (track nine) rolling in like the kind of storm clouds that reak a whole lot of havoc on the earth. The songs are anthemic and will infect you with their catchiness. Set to Fail, which is the disc's third track, and Fake Messiah, which is fifth in the running order, also continue to LOG tradition of southern-fried grooves mixed with a technicality normally reserved for Swedish bands like Meshuggah. LOG have long been touted as Pantera's successor and with Wrath, they've proven that they'll be like Slayer, too: a career band that never compromises or takes the intensity down a notch. Lamb of God follow their own rules and metal fans reap the benefits of this fact. // 9

Lyrics: D. Randall Blythe coughs up his signature guttural, phlegmatic vocals on the entirety of Wrath, barking about overcoming fear, weakness, masters becoming slaves and remaining stronger than all. He doesn't attempt any clean and clear singing and we don't want him too. We're fine with reading along to a lyric sheet/CD booklet to learn what he says! Blythe doesn't wax about standard metal subjects, either; there's a note of poetic empowerment in his words, which perfectly with the stabbing nature of the riffs. A sprinkling of Blythe's ominous, spoken word passages, which can be found on previous LOG efforts, pops up here and there, as well. Blythe's vocal spewing more than complements the venomous sonic backdrop. // 9

Overall Impression: Lamb of God aren't making any drastic changes to their sound on Wrath and no one wants them to. But they're not making the same album over and over again, either. The band adheres to a signature sound and continues to create caustic, quality metal anthems. There's something to be said about consistency and Lamb of God are nothing if not consistent, building upon their solid foundation with each passing album. Wrath is another victory for these down and dirty Virginians who are defenders of the faith doing their damnedest to stoke the eternal fires of heavy metal. // 9

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2009

Wrath Reviewed by: Spartan9185, on february 25, 2009

Sound: Before the release of "Wrath", drummer Chris Adler said in an interview, "This album is going to surprise a lot of people. Typically bands that get to where we are in our career begin to slack off, smell the roses and regurgitate. We chose a different path. No one wants to hear another band member hyping a new record. 'Wrath' needs no hype. We have topped ourselves and on February 24 you will feel it." Lamb of God has definately not slacked off, and have sure as hell topped themselves with this release. Wrath starts out with an instrumental, "The Passing", and then flawlessly transitions into "In Your Words". In Your Words is completely BRUTAL. As is the rest of the album. The track that stands out most of all, though... Is "Grace". Starting out with a clean solo that runs for half a minute, it flows into one of the sickest riffs I have heard in years. Mark Morton and Willie Adler hit it on the head with that riff, and Chris Adler supplied quite awesome beats and awe-inspiring China Cymbal fills that left me shaking from the adrenaline pulsing in and out of my heart. Randy Blythes vocals have improved, but sound less produced and much more like he did on New American Gospel, but in the best way thinkable. Randy has also developed a bit of a singing voice, but I will leave it up to you if you like it or not. I know I do. "Wrath" is a masterpiece, and perhaps my new favorite metal album of all time. I'll give it some more time and see if it turns out to be my favorite album... Period. // 10

Lyrics: As always, Randy Blythe's lyrics are violent, brutal, and uses very advanced vocabulary, but he still keeps it understandable and open for interpretation. The lyrics fit oh-so-perfectly with the masterful riffs that Mark and Willie lay down. Randy still is at the number 1 spot of my greatest metal lyricists of all time. And rising to the top of my list of greatest overall. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to Sacrament, Wrath is much more raw, and less produced. This is what was expected, as the band mentioned in interviews that what they were aiming for with the new record was to go back to what they were doing, and really have fun with this. I'm sure they had fun, and I'm sure as hell having fun as I listen to it right now. This album has not let my speakers rest since I got it today, and my speakers my acually never sleep from this. I highly recommend this album, as it is the greatest metal album released in the passed decade. I cannot say I hate anything about this record, except that it is only 11 songs, 13 including the bonus tracks. I hate this because I wish it could go on forever. BUY IT! I am not asking you to, I am telling you to. // 10

Wrath Reviewed by: Paramecium302, on february 26, 2009

Sound: With more melody, brutality, and reality, Lamb of God's latest effort "wrath" is sure to shock listeners. Especially where most bands begin to decline, generating their fifth album. Lamb of God shows no signs of letting up as they round another corner in their illustrious careers. The album was recorded with no cuts either, as guitarist Mark Morton stated "We're celebrating imperfections on this record." though no nearly no imperfections can be found. This album starts off with a first for the band, an acoustic intro, which establishes the album as nowhere near a final effort, but another milestone for this band. Let us take a look at the songs and my opinions on them. 01. "The Passing" (1:58) What a way to start the album off, with such a beautiful acoustic intro. Though the acoustic melodies don't last, soon the beautiful electric distortion takes over, but possesses the same soulful sound of the acoustics. This song leads straight into the first song on the album. 02. "In Your Words" (5:24) A very long song for the first song, but an illustrious song filled with memorable moments, such as the amazing guitar/drum intro. You will also notice that you've NEVER heard Randy Blythe sound like this before! Again, a good way to foresee what the rest of the album beholds. 03. "Set To Fail" (3:46) The classic Lamb of God brutality that fans have been waiting to hear since fourth album "Sacrament". Set To Fail is true Lamb of God bringing an "Ashes of the Wake" feel to it. Though Randy still pulls a few tricks with his voice die-hard fans might not expect, let alone the great solo by I believe Mark Morton(though it could very well be Willie Adler, they don't say in the booklet.) 04. "Contractor" (3:22) There's that thrash metal we all love. An extremely fast song, to start with, then it changes tempo to a slower beat, then back to fast again. This song is all over the place, and in no wrong way. This song brings to the table another song that sets itself away from the others, just as all the others on this album have done up to this point. 05. "Fake Messiah" (4:34) Another classic Lamb of God styled song, with outstanding vocals that charm the listener, in such a brutal way, of coarse. Maybe it's the treble-filled guitar/drum opening, or the haunting ending with the echo's of Randy yelling "Messiah!", either way this song seemed to make a lasting impression in my head. 06. "Grace" (3:55) The most beautiful opening for a song I've heard be released in recent years. "Grace" is the perfect song to split the album in half, with it's driving guitars, and yet an emotional sounding solo with yes, sweep-picking. All instruments are spot on with this song, making it one of the best on the album. 07. "Broken Hands" (3:53) "I can feel your fear and weakness!" Randy screams at the listener, before any instrumentals even hit a note. A great Lamb of God sounding song. This song brings to the table more overdubs of Randy screaming his ass off all at once during the chorus, which is by all means encouraged by Lamb of God fans like myself. No bull in this song, just straight up Lamb of god. 08. "Dead Seeds" (3:41) This song, like most songs by Lamb of God, has very powerful lyrics, those that the vocals back up flawlessly. The song brings more Lamb of God feelings, which, in this world of constant change, is refreshing to hear; a band who isn't giving up on their old ways, rather improving and mastering. 09. "Everything to Nothing" (3:50) All I can say is: BREAKDOWN. Well you can always expect sic breakdowns from Lamb of God, and Wrath is no exception. The song maintains a steady pace throughout, even up to the headbanging breakdown, and the blaring solo that follows. 10. "Choke Sermon" (3:20) Lamb of God resurrects their signature 3/4 timing with this song. With a grooving, yet thrashy feel to this song, I couldn't help but bang my head all the way through. I also strongly consider you read the lyrics, but we'll get to the lyrics later. Lets not leave out the solo in here either. I'm so excited for the solo's because it is a part of songs Lamb of God often stayed away from, but with Wrath, you'll see why they feel so confident cranking out solos this time around. 11. "Reclamation" (7:05) Sadly, the end of the album (unless you got some special edition with two bonus songs, or the Japanese one with one bonus song), but what an emotional, truthful way to go out. A slow, melancholy intro with sounds of explosions and ocean waves crashing on beaches greets you, followed by bluesy acoustic work, and soon into an all out explosion of anger. The tempo is nothing fast with this song, but the anger, and emotion truly shines in the vocals and guitar work. You will eventually be swept up by a great Lamb of God breakdown, where Randy screams with all of his emotion, his true opinions on the matters involving the current state America, or possibly more so society, is in. The song seems to go just as somberly as it came, dieing out just as it had started. My personal thoughts after listening through the entire album: WOW I cannot believe a metal band is sticking to it's original sound, yet growing more mature in the way that it is presented. Though sometimes the Lamb of God sound can be tiresome, this album seems to balance the old sound with the new sound flawlessly. It seems with all sorts of bands slacking off and losing what they originally had, Lamb of God is surefire-PROOF that metal WILL NOT DIE. // 9

Lyrics: Any Lamb of God fan knows that Randy Blythe is not an idiot. He is in fact, a great vocalist, even a poet one might argue. He certainly has a lot to say in this effort as back five years ago with Ashes of the Wake. This album marks the return of Lamb of Gods political sound, and isn't it funny how there most political stuff, is always there best stuff? I strongly believe it is because the band has a message they want received, and the only way to get that message out, is by making good music. Well, congratulations Randy, because it seems your lyrics have once again inspired your band mates to create an album that truly sinks into your head, and possibly even make the listener THINK. // 9

Overall Impression: I know I know...I gave it a terrific grade, and on UG you're not supposed to do that right? Well, this album truly deserves all the credit it can get. It's a non-stop album that doesn't stay too long, and even makes the listener beg for more. After you listen to the album, your ears feel satisfied. Like you just ate a big Thanksgiving meal fill with all kinds of amazingly tasty heavy metal and political undertones for dessert. I really have nothing else to say, I feel as though I've milked an album that needs no explanation too much as it is. So I urge you, as metal fans, to buy this album, and listen for yourselves, I can't do it justice by simply typing, and you can't do the album justice by sitting there, reading a review. // 10

Wrath Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2009

Sound: The album is full of surprises, especially as far as guitar goes. Willie and Mark threw in acoustic guitars, sweep picking, some lower tunings, all of which have never been heard on a Lamb of God album before. Chris somehow managed to top the drums of any past release, and has without a doubt secured the position as the best metal drummer of our time. Campbell is as solid as ever on the bass during the rhythm sections and heavy riffs, but we also see him more melodic to his playing. He will without a doubt surprise many people with just how well he can assemble these softer, more melodic bass lines. Musically speaking i would consider this album a masterpiece. Lamb of God have made this album extremely focused musically and improved on their sound in ever aspect, and that is no easy task for any band to do. // 10

Lyrics: Randy is the eccentric frontman whose personal demons painted an explicit display of how tormented a soul could be on Sacrament. Wrath shows the return of the political and external side of Lamb of God suggesting that Randy may have just conquered his demons. There are still deeply personal songs on the album that bleed pain and hopelessness like Sacrament, but they aren't nearly as prevalent. Randy's vocals are as strong and powerful as. He has always had and authority and confrontational quality to his vocals, and this album really lets that shine. He gets more aggressive and more melodic at the same time. There are not nearly as many overdubs as Sacrament, but Randy will still kick your ass all over the place with Wrath. // 9

Overall Impression: The general word on the street was that Lamb of God's last album Sacrament (2006) was such a groundbreaking album that it couldn't be topped. Well Lamb of God have again said fuck you once again and created what could possibly be the definitive metal album of the decade. I am aware of the magnitude of that claim, but after listening the album in its entirety quite a few times it's one that I will gladly stand behind. Lamb of God has added so many new elements to their music, while still retaining the raw, brutal sound they are known for. They have improved on every aspect of their music and songwriting abilities. Their riffs are still fast and heavy, yet they expand even more on a concept they explored in Sacrament, they are catchy now too. The album itself sounds more like Ashes Of The Wake as far as recording and sound goes. The album sounds like four guys playing heavy metal in a room together, not an overproduced pro-tools creation. Don't be mislead though, the album may have an obviously more raw, organic nature to it but that doesn't mean that the playing it isn't crisp and rehearsed. In short, this is not an album you want to miss out on. There is nothing else left to say, but it and pleasure your ears in way you probably didn't know were possible. When Wrath is released on 2/24/09 the world will bow down to the true Gods of metal, because Lamb of God has proven that they are just that. // 10

Wrath Reviewed by: mercurymay, on february 26, 2009

Sound: Lamb Of God are known for their slogan "Pure American Metal." Let's go into that a bit- Rock & Roll was created in America, and was an exciting, fast paced, catchy genre of music. This is what Lamb Of God have delivered in every album prior to "Wrath," and the latter is no exception to this trend. One thing listeners are immediately surprised with is an acoustic intro to "The Passing," the first track on the album- an instrumental. Another is the inclusion of singing. Lamb Of God have been quite content to have ball-crushing screaming on previous albums, which is still prevalent on "Wrath," but also with the occasional vocal phrase being sung. "Wrath" isn't as polished as "Ashes Of The Wake" or "Sacrament," production-wise, and it seems to be quite garage-y. Take this as a good thing or a bad thing. // 8

Lyrics: Lamb Of God are known for quality lyrics. Flip through the lyric book in the CD as you listen to the album, and the only thing going through your head will be "Hell yeah!" Sometimes the lyrics get a bit heavy and emotional, and the tone of music doesn't do the lyrics justice, but that's metal, I guess. Randy Blythe never disappoints vocally. He's not just an album vocalist, he delivers a quality performance live as well as in the studio. Randy Blythe is to this decade as vocalists like James Hetfield was to the 80s and 90s. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is Lamb Of God's best album. I rank their albums in this order: - Wrath - Ashes Of The Wake - Sacrament - New American Gospel. The most impressive songs on the album are "Set To Fail," "Grace," "Broken Hands," "Dead Seeds," "Reclamation," and one of the bonus tracks on the Special Edition called "Shoulder Of Your God." What I love about this album is that I don't see myself getting tired of it like I can with other bands' albums. What I don't like about the album is that it sounds like they were trying too hard to make the production of the album sound raw, but it sounds like a demo. If it were stolen or lost, I'd burn a copy of it from my laptop because I would have ripped it onto my iTunes and I don't have another CD player. // 9

Wrath Reviewed by: Cold Reader, on february 25, 2009

Sound: After the album 'Sacrement', Lamb of God decided not to fuss over the editing so much this time round, in fact when interviewed they said that they decided to leave some mistakes in, just 'cos they sounded cool. With that in mind, I was expecting something pretty decent, maybe not as good as Sacrament, something raw sounding and possibly noticable mistakes. What I found was I hardly noticed the few mistakes as I was too busy headbanging, or staring upwards in extacy when a riff shreaded around the house. I feel the album is much better than Sacrement, it just has a better feel to it, however I would have liked to see them mix up the sound a bit more as some songs can begin to sound a bit samey. // 8

Lyrics: The way the lyrics are vocalised fits extremly well with the aggressive tones of the guitars. People new to the genre will most likely be put off by the harsh vocals used by Lamb of God, however those more accustom to their sound will be moshing into next week. I much prefere the way he sounds now compared to previous albums and around the 'Burn the Priest' period, I feel that his lower voice fits more with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: Fantastic album, I would recommend this to anyone who has bought previous albums and enjoyed them. The only thing I would watch out for is towards the end it sounds a bit samey, but just crank it up and you probably wont even notice. Everything to Nothing was definatly the one in enjoyed most. Also The Passing and Grace are brilliant, but don't be fooled by their slow, calm intro's. // 8

Wrath Reviewed by: morke_666, on march 03, 2009

Sound: This has got to be the best album I have ever heard... Ever. This album has raped my ears, chewed me up and spit my ass back out. There are a few things that attract me to this album more than anything. The first being the fact that the guitar riffing is phenomenal. Me being a guitarist and Lamb of God being my fave band I play a lot of their songs. But the opening riff for "In Your Words" kicks my ass to the curb. Willie and Mark have really outdone themselves in all aspects of playing. Willie with his rhythm parts and Mark with his leads. Another thing that attracts me to this album is the fact that they used guitar layers. Things you really have to listen for that you can't really hear the first time around but the more you listen to the songs the more you think "I don't remember hearing that before. that's badass!" Mark once said in an interview that "we had a lot of influence from MachineHead with our sound with the guitars." Chris Adlers drums have gotten much more aggressive also, what with some blast beats and much more technical bass drums. // 10

Lyrics: David Randal Blythe has outdone himself in every aspect. Lyrically and vocally. He has found a way to keep his kind of Gospel/Palaces grungy-ness yet has developed his scream so well it's almost as if he sings while he screams in some songs. Set to Fail is a perfect example of that and even tho he does almost sing he never lets up. In fact his most brutal song vocally in my opinion is Fake Messiah, which is understandable seeing as how the song is basically about an old friend who isnt their friend anymore because of greed. So Randy is understandably pissed in that song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't really compare to that of any other album or artist I have ever heard. Lamb of God strives and succeeds to create their own little niche in the metal world. In fact, it would not surprise me if a new genre of metal came up as LOG Metal. I would have to say the most impressive song on the album is Grace, followed by In Your Words, followed by Reclamation. Grace starts out with a soft, almost flamenco melody that then flawlessly gives way to the most insane riff LOG has ever written. Which is saying something BIG. In Your Words is completely ruthless and in your f***ing face from the first second. Reclamation is a sadly under-rated song by a lot of people. It's a very well written song that starts out with the waves of Virginia beach. Then you hear an acoustic riff that suddenly is taken over by an epic yet still Lamb of God-ish riff. That song is amazingly epic as well as forward-thinking. Not many bands can pull that off but Lamb of God did it flawlessly. I can't say that I hate anything about this album. It has satisfactorily raped all that I know as Metal music and it will do the same to you. And if this album were stolen I would hunt the SOB down and gut them like the pigs they are. // 10

Wrath Reviewed by: angus is god, on march 05, 2009

Sound: Lamb of God have found their perfect sound and has kept that for 3 straight albums now. A heavy but crystal clear tone that is out of this world. They have integrated some new techniques that help them a lot with getting the right feel to these songs, such as acoustic guitars, deeper tunings, and louder bass. Adding more solos, this album leaves nothing behind in it's path of destruction with amazing drums and brutal guitar work 01.The Passing: a calm quiet intro to the album, then climbs right into a very epic sounding mixture of feedback and notes creating an almost holy sounding experience ending with reversed guitar and distant vocals. 02.In Your Words: the ending of The Passing segways perfectly into In Your Words which is a hard hitting start of a song that's their signature sound to reassure the listener that they haven't changed from metal. This song starts to climax during the heavy breakdown that leads into an apocalyptic sounding ending to an amazing song. 03.Set To Fail: the albums first single, the songs starts with a fast pounding intro that is very mosh friendly. The intro breaks off into a pattern that is reminiscent of "Redneck" but maintains it's individuality as the song breaks down and allows Chris a few seconds to show off his drum skills. Near the end of the song this then picks up and goes straight into Marks' guitar solo that is a mixture of bluesy southern riffs and advanced scales. 04.Contractor: you know this is going to be a good song when one of the members goes screams "Wooh!" at the very beginning. From the beginning this song is very thrashy and mosh friendly, an extremely fast paced song until the chorus's but picks up right after. This breakdown is one of my favorite on the album, it makes you think the song is over with one heavy chord that begins to fade out only to give John some spotlight with mini bass break as the guitars feedback builds and the breakdown continues, it lasts for a minute then picks up with the chorus and lasts for the end of the song. This song lacks a guitar solo but the amount of riffs makes up for it. 05.Fake Messiah: this songs starts with a coffee can type sound with a cool riff and snare that makes you question your speaker quality for a second. The song then explodes into a "chordized" (my word shut up) version of the intro riff. This song doesn't have as much "oompf" as the others but is still a diamond in the rough. 06.Grace: in my honest opinions, this intro is one of the most beautiful guitar solos I have ever heard from a metal band. Clean guitar with slight chorus gives this intro an aura to it. The intro also demonstrates Mark and Willies' skills and mastery of the fretboard and ability to harmonize. Yet to not sound like pussies this prematurely breaks with a distorted slide that rings in all Hell. A moderately paced song offers up stunning guitar licks mixed with the occasional pinch harmonic. This songs break down barely slows down at all and makes way for a heavenly hell spun guitar solo that is out of this world, leaves something for every theory buff in it, melodic licks, arpeggio sweeps, ect. My favorite solo on the album. 07.Broken Hands: with Willies guitar pounding the chords and Mark offering a semi solo reminiscent of "Walk With Me In Hell" this breaks to a nice heavy "chug chug" song until the choruses of course. Midway through a break Mark fit in a nice tasty, but short, solo just so this awesome song wasn't missing a damn thing. The song ends with a nice chuggy ending. 08.Dead Seeds: the intro and main riff is unmistakably taken from the breakdown in "Now You've Got Something To Die For" but it works very well for this song which demonstrates their "signature sound" to the fullest, if you don't know what I mean by that listen to their other records. A breakdown towards the end filled with just chug guitar and double bass pedals rings in the outro to this song as it goes back to the main riff. 09.Everything to Nothing: a fast song from the start, no intro needed for a ball breaking song like this. The breakdown uses guitar breaks and that hellish screech bend that almost interrupts the guitar. This leads into a thrashy section of mayhem that breaks for an awesome solo by Mark. This begins to bring the song around as it closes. 10.Choke Sermon: a highly distorted rake is the only intro needed to this song that can only be described as metal at it's purist. This song is almost entirely riff based that is very well thrown together so that it doesn't get repetitious. Blasting bass and drums keep this track at a good pace throughout the song, at some points it almost sounds like they replaced the double bass with a Harley. The breakdown barely slows the song and leads into a tasty guitar solo with mini sweeps and a lot of pull offs. 11.Reclamation: this is my second favorite song on the album. The clean sound of the beach as waves crash is the perfect intro to this song. The only song on the album to be counted in my Mark at the very beginning going "1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3" as the waves make explosions in the background. A very cool acoustic riff that gives off an eerie feel to it. This calm moment is soon interrupted by the explosive chugs that bring this song to the apocalyptic standpoint that it's meant to sound like. The metal is only interrupted for brief moments that the acoustic riff is brought in again as Randy preaches in the background. The breakdown is start stop guitar breaks that brings in the final half to the song. The solo however is located at the end of the song when all the electric fades away leaving us with Mark and Willie on the beach again and a very earthly sounding guitar solo that uses some exotic scales. This stops and we are left with the sound of the crashing waves again. An amazing way to end an album. I won't comment on the bonus tracks because most people probably won't get them. // 10

Lyrics: They did their best to stay unpolitical like they said they would but Randy also said he writes what pisses him off, most of that happens to be political. Yet, he does tackle the environment, suicide, Obama, drug addiction, losers, and more. Using his more "singy" scream he captures the essence of each song perfectly. 01.The Passing: NO VOCALS 02.In Your Words: what better way to start off a Lamb of God album vocally than with a 10 second scream. In this song Randy demonstrates his new singing voice with the the opening lines and chorus. He seemingly has substituted this new singing scream with his trademark scream that can be heard as his main voice on "New American Gospel". This song seems to be about big corporation fat cats who don't care about the little people, calling them "sacred cash cows" he then states their murderous reign to get to the top. 03.Set to Fail: completely growled verses and sung choruses this was their first single and almost immediately became a hit. This song everyone can relate to. It's about that loser dude who blames everyone else for their failures, yet does nothing to help themselves and always expects a hand out. As stated by "Criticize who already who already found their position" and "Your so set to fail" describes these people perfectly. 04.Contractor: growled lyrics that randy belches out at high speed makes this song all the more awesome. During the breakdown Randy makes the lyrics almost sound like he's rapping with the beat. This song is quite obviously about the Black Water scandal in Iraq, he basically says their name, "Quench his thirst with black water rising" "Black liquid assets". 05.Fake Messiah: randy uses both extremes of his voice right after another in this song. Mainly in the chorus when he growls "Fake" and hellishly screams "Messiah". During the breakdown Randy preaches in the background then brings the song back with "Split you wide open just to see what your made of!" I honestly think this song is about Obama, seeing as how nothing seems to please Randy it seems pretty fitting, talking about "Useless intent" and "Prophecy now denied" explains how people hold him to a god like status. 06.Grace: with growling main vocals and screaming backup vocals give this song the perfect mixture when talking about drug addiction and self loathing. 07.Broken Hands: randy dominates this intro with him screaming "Bled of all you had to lose!". A moderate song with Randy using his "talking growl" until the chorus where he screams "Bled of all you had to lose" growls gradually into a scream with "pick up the pieces with your broken hands". This song seems to be about a guy who dwells on the past, contemplating suicide. With Randy basically telling him to man up and get over it. 08.Dead Seeds: randy preaches at the beginning "You may tremble before Hell's gates, you may watch as the Heavens fall, and you may slight the hands of fate, you may heed the siren's call" Basically a screaming song, with a few long screams mixed throughout. This song seems to be directed to the Taliban and other radical terrorists as he states "Betrayed your prophets" meaning they are betraying their religion Islam by wanting war when Islam is a religion of peace. Also he states "You may strike down the giant with stone" the giant being the Allied forces. 09.Everything To Nothing: Randy's intro is a very long scream that is followed by fast paced lyrics about a guy calling for all out Anarchy is a government that consumes all original minds, when he only finds that he is very much apart of the machine he hates. 10.Choke Sermon: very metal vocals punch through the speakers and Randy growls the tale of someone with a god complex, most likely a politician, who uses false lies of peace to ring in the Apocalypse. 11.Reclamation: this song has the perfect balance of scream and growl as and even towards the end Randy uses a type of scream that doesn't sound anything like him that almost sounds like andy yelling at the listener, Randy wants us to feel at fault during this song about the environment taking back what man, who Randy describes as a "failed experiment" and "a festering parasite". He tells a tale of the waters rising and cities burning in an Apocalyptic end to an amazing album. // 9

Overall Impression: This album has to be on their top three. Lamb of God has not slowed down at all and there's no sign of stopping, they are quickly becoming the biggest band in metal, with deep and advanced lyrics, complex guitar, pounding bass, and amazing drums this album has become my favorite metal album by any other band I know. Get this album. I would buy 10 copies if I could. The only downside is not all the songs have solos, but ones that do make up for the rest. // 10

Wrath Reviewed by: Cyanide86, on february 25, 2009

Sound: Although Lamb Of God are oftenly associated with such terms as the leaders of the "New Wave of American Heavy Metal'' or "pure American metal" and they classifies their music as 'heavy metal', the most accurate definition of their present style, would be groove/thrash with some death metal influence.The new Wrath album has (with a few very demanding parts) amazing guitars/bass while drums are really fantastic and one of the strongest elements of this album. The other element which becomes recognizable is bridge/rhythm change (usually after second chorus) it sounds always great, making their songs more interesting (despite of almost the same structure of whole album). One of the things which occasionally appears (on Sacrament in ''Redneck'' & now in ''In your words'') is different scream style on verse/pre-chorus & chorus in same song.For me this is important because when this form is used everything doesn't sounds so monotone (which is sometimes their problem and problem of similar bands like DevilDriver). Some parts can be emphasized and song sounds better. This would additionally improve their music. Unfortunately as I said this is used only sometimes. Unlike Sacrament (which is still their best album), Wrath is combination between spectacular, great, average, bad & unnecessary parts.Here is for example the best 2 songs on the album, ''In Your Words'' everything about this song is great until 3:25 after that you listen 2 minutes of nothing, ''Contractor'' mostly very good, with bad chorus but fantastic second bridge/rhythm change (first starts with bass).Or 2 songs with great (waste) potential ''Set to fail'' the beginning is spectacular the rest is average or ''Grace'' where beginning is also amazing but that's all what's good about this song (except solo, which is variation of beginning melody). The rest of songs is as I said before occasionally good, mostly average or bad. // 7

Lyrics: The words are mainly about some sad facts in life like in ''Grace'' where a broken,desperate man full of rage comes to the end realizing that no one and nothing can help him, or ''Everything To Nothing'' about a man who is a shadow of someone he used to be and message how fast can everything turn to nothing.Edification/message is often in their songs, like in "Reclamation" as Willie Adler said "It's about how we're destroying ourselves and the world around us, and that sooner or later, the tipping point will be reached" so most songs is in that context (some kind of edification), and ''Contractor'' where private military contracting companies and mercenaries being criticizes for crimes they commit it, also clearly has a message etc... // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this isn't their best album,that's for sure.Nevertheless it has some very good parts, impressive drums with some ''death metal influence'', a few good songs like ''In Your Words'' & ''Contractor'' and fantastic bridge/rhythm changes,unfortunately there is also the other side of the album that can be gruelling,with often combination of fantastic,average,bad & unnecessary parts. I would recommend this album to all Lamb Of God fans & those who like the same or similar music style (bands like DevilDriver,or even legendary Pantera). Lamb Of God has good potential and with a few accepted advices and guidance from the world's greatest metal producers they could make something better than this. // 6

Wrath Reviewed by: Gu1T@r_H3r0, on march 03, 2009

Sound: The sound of this album is Lamb of God at their most aggressive since Palaces, which for me is a welcome return after Sacrament, which I felt lacked the hard-hitting riffing of Palaces and Ashes. The guitar's sound as good as on Sacrament, with Mark Morton outdoing himself solo-wise, particularly on the 'Grace' intro and solo, which is, in my opinion, nothing short of immense. There's also a lot more harmonisation of the leads, as evident on 'Grace' and opening instrumental 'The Passing'. The rhythm guitars carry LoG's trademark, complex riffing which is something they've kept up through all their albums, and the riffs are tight and fast as ever. The breakdowns on this album have more of a hardcore feel to them, a particular favourite of mine appearing on 'Reclamation'. Chris Adler's drumming is as awe-inspiring as ever, he manages to be extremely percussive for a player of this sort of music, whilst making the drums sound as aggressive as possible. He also makes use of a few blast-beats on this album, something I haven't heard him do before, and something I see as a welcome addition to his already formidable repertoire. I'm a huge fan of his style and for me, he appears to have taken it up another notch on Wrath. John Campbell's bass was never particularly audible on any of LoG's previous records and whilst it has definitely been brought forward in the mix on this album, it is still not as defined as I would like. It's a shame because he's a talented, underrated bass player and I would've liked to have heard more of him. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are as in-your-face as ever, Randy Blythe spitting bile and rhetoric, dealing with inner demons, the government/politics and denouncing the human race for it's failings. Blythe is already reknowned for writing intelligent lyrics and this album is no different from any of his previous material. Lyrics of this sort go hand-in-hand with their style of music, so I didn't expect to see any straying from the negativity, and to be honest, if I wanted happy and uplifting lyrics I'd listen to Bobby McFerrin, not LoG. Some choice excerpts for me are "Another body bag, pathetic, picture-frame obituary faded in the attic," from 'Everything to Nothing' and "Covert reactions and you never saw me, a glass parking lot in the American Dream," from 'Contractor'. Randy's vocal performance is strong, his use of pitched screaming is more evident on this album, and you can almost sing-along with some of the lines on the album. He's also lowered his use of the harmonies that were all over Sacrament. I loved the harmonies on the aforementioned album, but felt that they were overused and it took away from the songs when they were performed live. My only fault lies with the fact that he's not used his range as much on this album. He can go from piercing high-pitched screams to bowel-rumbling growls, and whilst there is variation on Wrath, there is definitely a lack of screams pitched in the higher range. // 8

Overall Impression: I've taken a shine to this album much quicker than I did with Sacrament, which took me a few listens to get into, and I'm particularly impressed with the drumming and soloing courtesy of Chris Adler and Mark Morton. I love the aggressive feel of the album as a whole, and I'm impressed that LoG are continuing to keep their sound fresh six albums and ten years on from New American Gospel. Early favourites from this album for me are 'Grace', 'Broken Hands' and 'Reclamation' but I'm a fan of every other track on the album, those particular three just stood out after the first few listens. All in all an impressive album and if it were lost/stolen/trodden on I would most definitely go out and get myself a new copy. // 9

Wrath Reviewed by: shadowkid33, on march 16, 2009

Sound: Ok, to start off, I am a big Lamb Of God fan. So you have an idea of where I'm coming from, my favorite album is Ashes of the Wake and my least favortie is probably Sacrament (as a whole album, there are some individual song off there I like). Now when I popped Wrath into my CD player, I was shocked to hear an acoustic intro to the album. I am a big fan of acoustic guitars, so this was a pleasant suprise to me. Mark and Willie's acoustic playing sounds very classically influenced and I like it a lot. I proceeded to review each individual song, and here are the results. 01.The Passing: this is a great ablum intro by any means. The acoustics sound excellent on it, and it leads directly into the next song. 02.In Your Words: they can do better. This song starts off with a neat little guitar riff (but we should expect that by now from Willie and Mark), then wait... What is that? Is that the bass? Yes, the bass is clearly audible on this song, which is quite rare for Lamb of God. I thought the upfront bass gave this song the kick it needed to not be totally boring. I can't describe Randy's singing as anything other than strange. I also can't help but think that the end sounds like "Blacken the Cursed Sun" the one drum part sounds almost exactly the same. 03.Set to Fail: this song sounds like a B-side from Sacrament. that's all I can really say about it. It's pretty unexciting and doesn't do anything original or exciting. The only thing it has going for it is an appropriate, fitting solo. 04.Contractor: what can I say about this song other than it starts of fast, and by the end is still chugging away at great headbanging speeds. Sure it may slow down during the breakdown, but that's part of the magic of this song. The drum work is excenllent and consistent on Chris Adler's part. Also, it is the most lyrically interesting song off the album. 05.Fake Messiah: this here is the low point of the album. This song sounds like a filler and is unnecissarily long. It repeats way to much and the breakdown at the end seems forced. Randy's singing is also. Strange during this song, and not in a good way. 06.Grace: and right after the worst song off the album, comes one of the best. From here, Wrath reaches it's soaring climax and doesn't falter for the rest of the album. This is where the classically influenced acoutic intros come in. The sound is excellent and it almost sounds 'midieval' in a sense. The short solo is great and fit's the song nicely as well. 07.Broken Hands: I can't say much about this song either. It's a solid preformance on all the member's count, but I do have one complaint. That snare drum in the prechorus is just plain annoying, good thing he doesn't use it much. The occasional pinch harmonics in the prechorus are nice and cutting though (think Killswitch Engage style harmonics). 08.Dead Seeds: this here is the high point of the album. It sounds like more traditional Lamb of God, and at this point, that's just what Wrath needs. The guitar Groove from this song is infectious and it's impossible to not want to headbang to it. The drums are also great and bring the song to a new level. Vocally this is also one of Randy's best songs in a long time. Props to log for this one. 09.Everything To Nothing: this is another great vocal preformance by Randy. He mixes his range very nicely and uses all of his vocal styles appropriately. Chris sounds excellent as well and Mark rips out a great traditional Thrash solo. 09.Choke Sermon: it's been four songs since Wrath reached it's climax and 'Choke Sermon' doesn't intend to slow it down. This song contains more of the groove riffs we love from Lamb of God and it's another song that's impossible not to headbang to. The short, sweet, shred solo also is a sweet climax to the song. 10.Reclamation: as Lamb of God's fifth studio album draws to a close... We get a song with a melodic, minor acoustic intro. It really helps build up to the rest of the song, which is LOG's longest song to date. Suprisingly, it doesn't sound forced at all and it flows nicely. If you had to listen to one song of of the album to get a feel for Wrath, this would be the one I recommend. A solid song which wraps up the album very nicely. // 8

Lyrics: Lyric wise, Wrath keeps up the tradition of many other Lamb Of God albums. Randy Blythe does a good job writing about death. And plagues. And killing people. One thing stands out to me though, this album has significantly less profanities than other Lamb of God records. This makes it a little more listener friendly around sensitive people and small children. // 8

Overall Impression: In conclusion, Wrath is a solid studio effort by Lamb of God. They try some new things on it and overall it works out. The bass guitar seems to be more prominent on this album than past Lamb of God albums. Randy Blythe gives another great vocal preformance and uses his vocal range to it's fullest extent. The acoustic guitars are great as well. But the electrics feel like they are lacking something. Overall, this was a nice change of pace for Lamb of God and even if you aren't a fan of their previous efforts, you may just find something you like on Wrath. // 8

Wrath Reviewed by: RubstheDuck, on march 26, 2009

Sound: Lamb of God's 2009 release of album "Wrath" is a new direction for the band. The sound is unique; a mix of soft, harmonic melodies with traditional LOG thrashful riffs, certainly amongst the heaviest the band has ever produced. Nowhere in the album is this better illustrated than on the track "Grace". The song starts with an amazingly technical clean introduction that leads into a pure powerful headbanging masterpiece that will undoubtedly have all metal-heads moshing in unison. The sound of the guitars and drums produced in "Wrath" are of the highest quality and this is no different of Randy Blythe's masterful vocal stylings. Album to album Blythe's singing style has evolved seemingly to find the perfect fit with all of the elements that comprise Lamb Of God's sound. This sound has finally been achieved with Wrath; a combination of the vocal style found on "Ashes Of The Wake" (2004) and "Sacrament" (2006) solidify Randy Blythe's position as one of the top metal singers on the scene today, and ultimately for album "Wrath" to be considered LOG's strongest effort to date and one of the best metal albums of 2009. // 9

Lyrics: Although "Wrath" is a quality recording, one criticism would be of the lyrics within the album. It seems almost routine for LOG to produce stunning lyrical works, as is obvious from certain classic tracks such as "Laid To Rest" and "Ruin", but the lyrics on their latest effort don't really follow suit. Of course at times their is evidence of customary LOG greatness however most of the lyrics are unfitting and obscure. For example lines such as; "Feeding blood junkie habit's of the elephant man" (taken from song "Contractor") don't seem to produce any real meaning or have any place within the song. The flow of the lyrics with the musical elements is mediocre at best. At times the band seem to have struggled with the compliance of the guitars and vocals, unusual for a band that in the past have been so consistent with their flow; one of the components that have made them such a great metal act. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall Lamb Of God's "Wrath" is a great record and definitely worth picking up if you are a fan of the metalcore/ groove metal sound. In comparison to their other works it is stronger than "Sacrament" and comparable with "Ashes Of The Wake". The most impressive songs on the album are "Grace", "Dead Seeds" and "Set To Fail" all of them powerful and unique in their own way. The things I personally love about the album are mainly the drumming of Chris Adler and the guitars, I am not to fond of some of the lyrical sections both vocally and written. Go pick up this album and get ready to do some serious thrashing, Lamb Of God style! // 9

Wrath Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2009

Sound: What I first noticed about this album is that the guitar somewhat sounded different. I looked up about what the band members said before hand, and I found out that they decided to use less distortion on their guitars. In my opinion, I don't like it much. I always think more distortion is more aggressive. But somehow, they've managed to make this one pretty damn aggressive. One thing I have to mention is that this is the album they've used clean guitar the most so far. They use it on The Passing, Grace and Reclamation. Mark and Willie gave themselves a break on creativity for this album, but Chris really made it up for them. I say this because they decided to do every song with the most standard structure (intro-verse-chorus-verse-interlude-chorus). But Chris really took advantage of this. With all the experience he gets from playing over and over again live, he got to meet his abilities and was able to develop them, and I'm sure he gave his best for Wrath. On John's side, he did a really nice job. You can easily tell that listening to Dead Seeds and Fake Messiah. I noticed that the bass guitar is a little louder than in other albums. Randy's got only positive critics from me. His screaming voice is just better than ever. He now includes a chorusy scream, which can be heard in Set to Fail. Sounds so Old School, but at the same time makes you want to scream with him and just start jumping around. I would really like to describe every song, but that just eliminates the fun of actually listening to the album. // 7

Lyrics: I never appreciated or even listened much to the lyrics of any song really, so for the lyrics review I'm going to use Axl Rosenberg's review, found on metalsucks.net, which I think it's better than my forced review: Randy Blythe's lyrics are, at this point, both pretty much predictable and clich, his delivery is powerful enough to make it all work. The lines Black liquid assets/Fuck the mujahideen/Paint their picket fences red/With the American dream may be kinda silly, but Blythe's natural cadences - the way the words roll of his tongue - have an awful lot of oomph behind them. There's also at least one song - seven minute album closer Reclamation - that does truly, absolutely kick ass, and stands up with the band's best work (Meanwhile, two b-sides, We Die Alone and Shoulder of Your God, are actually superior to several of the songs that made the final cut. Why these tracks didn't make it onto the album proper is yet another of Wrath's many head scratchers.) // 9

Overall Impression: After hearing the first single they released (Set to Fail), I appeared to me that their new sound resembled a little bit to that of Metallica's. Mark and Willlie created a new sound, but with Classic all written on it. What I'm talking about is Everything to Nothing, more specifically. What I really loved about this album is the awesome breakdowns that come with every song. And I mean every song. I consider the best breakdown the one in In Your Words. Oh, and they also included an intro! Shame it's an intro lost in hope. I was disappointed with the new disposition of the guitar riffs on this album. After you finish listening to it, you kind of keep waiting for more, but are left with your hands empty. Maybe they're preparing us for the next boom, which I hope I'd be in the next year. // 6

More Lamb Of God reviews rating latest review