The Freedom Spark Review

larrikin love: The Freedom Spark
Release Date: Sep 25, 2006
Label: Wea
Genres: Rock
Debut album from this quirky UK Britpop band that has impressed critics with their hit singles and amazed audiences with their live performances.
 8.8
 8.7
 8.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The Freedom Spark Reviewed by: freddiejones, on april 23, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album is a fusion of many different influences. Larrikin Love are often described as quintessentialy English. They generally shrug off this remark, as do I. You can hear much difference of influence in the sound of the Album. They have been described as sounding "like a less shambolic Babyshambles". There is a strong arabic feel to the first two tracks in the Album. 'The Spark' uses arabic scales very effectively to portray a sense of enigma and solitude. 'Six Queens' uses the same scales in a very different way. Its rocky-bursts destroy the unsurity and throw you headfirst into an innovative sound that is rare in today's modern scene. Folk music is a huge influence on this album. I would say that Irish elements are stronger than English however. 'Edwould', 'Forever Untitles' and 'A Burning Coast' have very interesting sounds to them. The chorus of the latter has an almost gypsy-feel to it. This shows, again, a very innovative use of style-fusions. The guitarist, Micko Larkin is also classically trained. This is obviously a large influence on the sound of the album. His guitar flourishes stand tall. In the highly different song 'Happy As Annie', Bluegrass plays a hugely prominent role. This gives an image of a Southern US Hill-Billy band playing outside a wooden shack chewing on corn. The sound of the album fluctuates a huge amount, and I believe that's what makes it so much better than most albums around. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album give a look into the mind of a young man who thinks a bit differently to most. Edward Larrikin's lyrics are not self-indulgent and gladly don't talk about 'going down t'pub'. The lyrics have quite a dark side to them. The juxtaposition between the uplifting music and horribly grim lyrics that is put forward in 'Happy As Annie' is quite astonishing, and almost shamefully amusing. Edwould Larrikin does not have a conventionally brilliant voice, however it compliments his lyrics perfectly. It has a child-like desperateness to it. This is well portrayed in 'Fall at the Feet of Re'. // 8

Overall Impression: I haven't really heard another band like Larrikin Love. I've heard similarities in songs to other bands, but no-one seems to have the sheer versatility that Larrikin Love are blessed with. I would strongly recommend anyone to buy this album. Everyone could find a song they like in this album, and I'm sure many of you, like me, will adore every single one of them. // 9

Comments