Fibonacci's Dream Review

Lawrence Blatt: Fibonacci's Dream
Release Date: Jan 2, 2008
Label: LMB Music
Genres: Rock
Both musically and mathematically winsome, Fibonacci's Dream is both thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended.
 9.3
 8.7
 9.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Fibonacci's Dream Featured review by: UG Team, on january 28, 2008

Sound: I have no doubt at all that Blatt is a very talented solo artist/song writer/guitarist. There are a lot of complicated-sounding guitar parts throughout this album, though some of it does tend to sound repetitive. Then again, there's only so much that you can do with guitar-based instrumental music. The songs are structured very well by Blatt all the way through the album and, considering that he plays all the instruments, the instrumentation works great as a whole. A lot of the songs on here have a very Latin/Medieval feel to them that I can't pin down (to save argument, for now I'll call it the Blatt style). Some of it sounds like the classical type that you may have heard in Medieval Britain, proving that you were around at the time (not trying to be insulting, just trying to make a point). Some songs emphasise this more than others, like 'Song For Chava'. Others emphasise a more Spanish influenced feel about them, like 'Move Um Out'. Finger-picking is evident throughout Fibonacci's Dream and Blatt uses the technique beautifully. Finger-picking, I must say, can be a difficult thing to master, but Blatt has mastered it. 'Bern The Bear' is laden with arpeggios and finger-picking. As soon as the finger-picking begins, it cuts through you almost like a knife would. The technique is carried through almost all the tracks. Some stray from this and got for simple, yet above-average, strumming ('Move Um Out' for instance). Other techniques used in this include the use of natural harmonics. They aren't too over used and give certain tracks that sense of mysteriousness that they need. They are most evident in 'Fibonacci's Dream', 'Move Um Out' and if you listen out for them, they're in 'Bern The Bear' too. Blatt is a gifted musician, I have no doubt of that, but some tracks like 'Una Vida' begin to sound repetitive, as I have said. Looking past this point, wether it's as a song write or as a musician or whatever else, Blatt's skills cannot be overlooked by the modern music world. // 9

Lyrics: Though some may shun the idea of this, the album is instrumental, and lyrics are far from needed. I'll give this section an 8 to ensure that there's no real effect on the album's rating. Though some may shun the idea of this, the album is instrumental, and lyrics are far from needed. I'll give this section an 8 to ensure that there's no real effect on the album's rating. // 8

Overall Impression: Despite some of the tracks sounding a little bit repetitive, most of the tracks have a different feel to them, as I will explain:

01. Bern The Bear - like I said; it's a beautiful track. The guitar work grabs you by the throat as soon as it comes into effect, and that's a compliment before people begin to question me.
02. Una Vida (One Life) - a Spanish sounding track. Very beautiful, combined with the use of percussion. Does, like I said, sound a little repetitive after a while though. It's a good song, nonetheless.
03. In A Heartbeat - a very heart-felt song. It combines two stringed instruments to create a lovely instrumental.
04. Fibonacci's Dream - has a balanced mix of guitars and various percussion instruments that result in a magical piece of music.
05. I Remember When - another nice piece that carries on well from the previous track.
06. I'm Leaving Now - nicely balances finger-picking and strumming in this one, at points.
07. Five Nights - another one based around the old finger-picking. Blatt uses the finger-picking to it's full potential in this track and manages to harmonise the two guitars very well.
08. Just Before Dawn - another beauty. It works, and carries on, well like the rest of the tracks.
09. A Little More Sunshine - another strummer/picker, like 'I'm Leaving Now'. It also works well with the percussion.
10. Catalina - yet another finger-picking driven piece. This one combines more slides and slightly more hammer-ons/pull-offs, though the others do use them.
11. Song For Chava - this song sounds more medieval-ish than any of the others do. It has to be one of my personal favourites from the whole album. Very nice.
12. La Selva (The Rainforest) - Blatt uses a variety of instruments in this one to recreate the sound of a rainforest (the waterfalls etc). Cleverly done, I must say.
13. Move Um Out - the could well be the best track on the whole album for me. I love the minor feel to some parts of it. And the use of harmonics at the beginning is cleverly done. The song is more driven by a Spanish feel more than anything, at one point. Percussion, such as cymbals, play a more big part in this too. A very good way to end the album, I think.

Blatt's skill will not go overlooked by me in the future. I had not heard his previous album before this one, but I'll be sure to look out for it. I can't guarantee that everyone will enjoy this album, because a lot of people don't like instrumentals, but it's truly a beautiful piece of work. That cannot be denied. // 9

More Lawrence Blatt reviews rating latest review