The Onslaught Review

Lyrics: 8.5
 8.9
 8.7
The Onslaught Reviewed by: ChaseSicarius, on october 06, 2009

Sound: Thrash is back! In the band's debut album, The Onslaught, Lazarus A.D. combines the sound of new metal (not nu metal) with sound of old school thrash. The shredding is superb, and the riffs will get you hooked the first time. The band's obvious influences include Slayer, Metallica, Testament, and Exodus. Some of the solo's sound like Kirk Hammett wrote them. The only problem I have with the album is that the songs kind of bleed together too much, but overall this is the thrash revival at its finest. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of course incorporate the usual thrash themes, blood, guts, war, and punishment. The lyrics also go into love (in the song Lust) and inner struggles (in the song Who I really Am). The lyrics really fit well in with the music. Personally I think that the singing is superb. The bassist is the lead vocalist (future Tom Araya anyone? ) while the lead guitarist comes in sometimes with backing vocals. The vocalists sound drastically different from each other which just adds to the experience. The vocals sound like a mixture of Slayer and Testament so you know that it will sound awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: Lazarus A.D. will soon be fronting the New Wave of Thrash Metal (NWOTM), along with the likes of Evile and Municipal Waste. My favorite songs from this album are Thou Shall Not Fear, Damnation for the Weak, Revolution, and Forged in Blood, but there are no "weak" songs on this album. Overall this is a great album. If I lost it, then I would definitely buy it again. Lazarus A.D. truly upholds their motto, "THRASH OR DIE!" // 9

The Onslaught Reviewed by: jofx1992, on january 24, 2011

Sound: My first impression of this band was on the song "Revolution". This song would remain in my opinion Lazarus' equivalent of "Master of Puppets" by Metallica. This song and this album is riff after riff and is a heavenly seamless approach towards a lost genre. The bridge in "Revolution" is a fire storm of riffs accompanied by one of the best metal solos I have heard in a long time. The drumming is perfect for the genre and adds a tiny bit of creativity needed to make this music diverse from most "Nu-thrash". The guitar playing is brilliant regarding riffs and solos. This album is simply a thrash classic and an awesome throwback. // 9

Lyrics: Typical for any thrash band. Politics, rebellion, and violent themes. The lyric, however, flow quite nicely with the tunes. Lead guitarist Dan Gapen's line "Three to live, one to kill, we've got body bags to fill" is clever and spits out with enthusiasm and left me singing it over and over again in my head. Themes such as this one can be found throughout the album. As for the vocals some people may find lead singer Jeff Paulicks' vocals to be repetitive and strange but do fit the thrash subgenre quite nicely. Dan Gapen's back up vocals are a great change in pace for the vocals on this album providing more of the "cleaner" vocals sounding like Matt Barlow on steroids (without the falsetto). Overall the vocal are a solid 8. // 8

Overall Impression: Basically it stands out amongst most newer thrash bands and this album has gained much attention for being the best thing to happen to thrash in a long time. "Last Breath", "Revolution", "Who I Really Am", "Absolute Power" and "Thou Shall Not Fear" are stand out tracks in this speedy triumph that simply bombards you with pure rootsy thrash metal. You will not be dissapointed if you like thrash. // 9

More Lazarus Ad reviews rating latest review