How The West Was Won Review

artist: led zeppelin date: 01/25/2008 category: compact discs
led zeppelin: How The West Was Won
Release: May 27, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Volatile, Visceral, Theatrical, Rousing, Rollicking, Passionate, Intense, Raucous, Sprawling
Styles: Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.7
 9.6
 9.8
How The West Was Won Reviewed by: j butterfly, on march 08, 2005

Sound: From the one note intro, LA Drone, to the final track, Bring It On Home, the sound is impeccable. Jimmy Page has always outdone himself when producing albums and remastering old ones, which is evident from his great work on the sound of this album. This of course, is a live album and the atmosphere is bloody awesome. The album was recorded in two shows on the 25th June 1972, Long Beach Arena and 27th June 1972, LA Forum. There is three CD's in this album: CD 1: 00. La Drone 01. Immigrant Song 02. Heartbreaker 03. Black Dog 04. Over The Hills And Far Away 05. Since I've Been Lovin' You 06. Stairway To Heaven 07. Going To California 08. That's The Way 09. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp CD 2: 00. Dazed And Confused 01. What Is And Should Never Be 02. Dancing Days 03. Moby Dick CD 3: 00. Whole Lotta Love 01. Rock And Roll 02. The Ocean 03. Bring It On Home The reason there is so little songs on each disc is because the tracks are so long. Immigrant Song is the shortest at 3:42 (Jimmy throws in a mad solo). Dazed And Confused (25:23) and Whole Lotta Love (23:08) are the longest songs with excerpts from other songs thrown in. John Bonham also does a 17 min on Moby Dick and the finale is almost 10 mins long. The band play every note right it seems and they do a great three-song acoustic set at the end of the first disc. // 10

Lyrics: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are surely the greatest songwriters in the world and the songs here showcase their great innovation, originality and creativity. Pages soulful voice is in full swing on the album and he makes great vocal breaks on songs such as Staiway To Heaven, Dazed And Confused and Whole Lotta Love. During Dazed And Confused, Jimmy whips out his violin bow and Robert turns on to spooky-voice-mode and at somes points you can't tell the difference between guitar and voice, pure class. // 10

Overall Impression: Out of the other live albums and DVD's by Zeppelin, BBC Sessions, The Song Remains The Same and the Led Zeppelin DVD, this is my favourite one. All the classics from Zep's first five albums are on it: Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Lovin' You, Stairway To Heaven, What Is And Should Never Be, Whole Lotta Love, The Ocean and Rock & Roll to name but a few. The only thing I dislike about the album is the 20 min songs; they're too god damn long! That is really the only thing I can criticise this album for. There is great solo's in the songs, most notably Heartbreaker and Since I've Been Lovin' You. There's too many other golden moments to mention here from the album, so buy it right now and experience them. RIP John Henry Bonham, you served you country well. Led Zeppelin are the best! // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: Chilifuzz, on may 19, 2004

Sound: This is amazing! The sound of this album is brilliant! From bluesy guitarsolos in Since I've Been Loving You to 17 minutes drum solos.. It's just amazing. // 10

Lyrics: mmm, I've always liked Plants songwriting, Jimmy's great too.. listen to songs like Dazed N Confused, it's a 25:05 minutes long song with just amazing play by the instruments..Roberts Voice could melt any heart with his astonishing voice, which sounds incredibly good at the album... Whole Lotta Love, must maybe be my favourite song on the album, it's a 23 minutes long song which also contains varoius other songs in it.. Amazing.. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album I got, to be totally honest.. Led Zeppelin is my favourite band and it's a complete must to anyone who just like pure Rock N Roll.. The most impresive songs are: Dazed N Confused (25 minutes long fucker, blew my head off first time I heard it), Whole Lotta Love (a classic, but now containing Boogie Chillin,Let's have a party and Going down slow, Heartbreaker, Immigrant Song, Rock N Roll, Stairway To Heaven (yeah, It's a f--kin classic!), Over The Hills And Far Away, Black Dog and The Ocean.. but it's not a single song on that 3-cd live album I skip... It is the album that made me realise that Led Zep is the greatest band ever... says alot.. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: Matt Montoya, on may 10, 2006

Sound: Okay, everyone knows that Led Zeppelin has a killer sound, but do they show it in this album. For the most part, yes. Even though this album came out in '03, the concert was in '72. The CD makes it look like one big concert, but it is really two seperate concerts mixed in one. The concerts took place at the Long Beach Arena and the LA Forum in California. There are 3 CD's, some better than others, but most of them have a good song on them. // 9

Lyrics: The Lyrics are good Rock lyrics. And anyone who says that Zeppelin is a Metal band is an idiot. Although he is no Bob Dylan, Robert Plant was and still is a good lyricist and songwriter. Most of the songs on this album are what is called electrifying. They do an especially good job on "Immigrant Song", "Heartbreaker", and "Black Dog". The first disc is probably the best disc, with "Immigrant Song", "Heartbreaker", "Black Dog", "Over The Hills And Far Away", "Since I've Been Loving You", "Stairway To Heaven" and "Going To California". Although I'm not a fan of "That's The Way", and "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp", I still think that they are good performances and most people will like them. "Stairway To Heaven" is good, but not nearly as good as the version at Madison Square Garden. The second disc is a letdown. "Dazed And Confused" is way to long, going over 25 minutes, and it is medley, also containing "Walter's Walk" and "The Crunge". You will notice that these songs aren't played on the radio as much as the others, and that's because they aren't that great. It might have been a good medley if they played more popular songs but they didn't. "What Is And What Should Never Be" is very good, and the highlight of the 2nd CD. "Dancing Days" is just like the original, only more harder, which is a good thing. Next is "Moby Dick". John Bonham got what he wanted, a 17-minute Drum solo, but the listeners didn't get what they wanted, excitement. Drummers might find this song to be interesting to listen to, but 17 minutes of pure drumming is about 15 minutes too long for me. Last is the 3rd disc. "Whole Lotta' Love", another Zeppelin classic made the same mistake as "Dazed And Confused" with a medley of unpopular songs like "Boogie Chillum", "Let's Have A Party", "Hello Marylou" and "Going Down Slow". Have you heard of the first three?... me neither. I will admit the do a good version of "Going Down Slow", but it doesn't measure up to legendary guitarist, Duane Allman's version. After that comes "Rock And Roll", where John Bonham shines with his drum solo. Although I was disappointed with the climax of Jimmy Page's solo, where it sounds like he screwed up, this is still one of the best live versions and the highlight of the 3rd disc. "The Ocean" and "Bring It On Home" are excellent and a good way to end the CD. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a pretty good album with a few boring parts, but I'm glad I bought it. This album still isn't quite as good as George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh, and The Allman Brothers Band's legendary Live At Fillmore East album, but it is still good. The 1st disc is mainly for people who like Led Zeppelin, and the 2nd and 3rd are only for the die-hard Zep fans. But if you want a good live album by Led Zeppelin, then this is probably your best choice, because all that is left is the bbc sessions, which sounds just slightly different from the studio version, and the overrated Song Remains The Same album. // 8

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on march 09, 2004

Sound: After hearing some Led songs a few times, I decided to go out on a limb and buy this album to see if I'd like it. I honestly didn't know it was live until I heard it- and if you took out the crowd noise, I wouldn't know that it WAS live. Robert Plant is an amazing singer, he can hit high and low notes and go from one to the other with incredible precision. John Bonham goes insane on a 15-minute version of Moby Dick, showing off his fantastic drumming skills. Jimmy Page is, in my opinion, the greatest guitarist ever (everybody tells me that's Hendrix, but I haven't heard enough of him to tell). I can't tell you how good the guitar on this CD sounds. I don't know the bassist's name, but whoever he is has some serious skills. And unlike a lot of new rock and metal, you can actually HEAR the bass throughout most of the songs very clearly- which is a good thing, since the bass is just as fast and pounding as the guitar. You've got everything you'd ever want-great singing, incredible guitar playing, fast drums, and a sweet bass. // 10

Lyrics: Alright, so 99.9% of the songs are about love/sex/girls. But isn't that the point of Led Zeppelin? They can sing love songs that are more "hardcore" than anything I've heard in the last 20 years (of music...I'm not that old). Led's best song (in my opinion), the Ocean, isn't even about love- and neither is Stairway to Heaven, which I don't particularly care for but everbody else loves. // 8

Overall Impression: Having never heard a "real" studio Zeppelin album, I'm almost afraid to buy one for fear of being disappointed. The top songs are: Immigrant Song, Black Dog, Heartbreaker, Going to California, Over the Hills and Far Away, Whole Lotta Love, The Ocean, and Bring It On Home. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy it again...the price tag is pretty high, but you're paying for what is, in my opinion, one of the best albums I've ever heard. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: zeppelinrocks, on september 13, 2003

Sound: "How The West Was Won" is a compilation of live preformances from 1972. The sound of the album is surprisingly good, for a live album. It almost sounds like a studio album. It's a three disc set with classic tracks such as "Black Dog", "Stairway to Heaven", "Moby Dick", and "dazed and Confused." // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant is considered one of the greatest front man of all time. His range and ability is ridiculous and goes hand and hand with the rest of the bands playing style. // 10

Overall Impression: What seems amazing about zeppelin is that all the members seem and sound like extremely good musicians. Obviously, Jimmy Page is one of the greatest guitarist of all time. Blend that with Plants roaring vocals, John Bonhams drum playing and John Paul Jones plaing bass, along with this beign a live album, makes "How the West Was Won", a great album. I highly recomend it. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 23, 2003

Sound: This is the album that made me a ZoSo fan. First off, the quality of the sound itself is simply amazing considering that this is a live album. Jimmy Page perfectly mixed the tapes to bring you pure, unadultered Zeppelin. For those of you who are thinking of getting into zeppelin, this is the first set you should buy. If Pink Floyd's 'Wish you were here' was a tribute to Syd Barret then this set is a trubute to the late John Bonham who rules the stage with little more than a pair of wooden sticks. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pure Zeppelin all the way, from the screeching Heartbreaker, to the mellow Going to California. Love them or hate them this is it. // 10

Overall Impression: This album kicks all other Zeppelin albums, and all other live albums for that matter, ass. The first disc is definitely the best with all the essentials like Black dog, Heartbreaker, The immagrant song and Going to California, the second one is decent if your into mad solos with a 25 minute 'Dazed and confused' and a 19 minute 'Moby Dick' which showcases John Bonham's ethreal dumming skill. If I could give it a 6 I would. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: *Truly Ninja*, on january 13, 2004

Sound: Of course, Jimmy Page is an amazing guitarist, and John Paul Jones and John Bonham both excel at their bass and drums, respectively. The improvisation and solos on this record are the stuff of legend. Zeppelin in reality is so much better than Zeppelin on a studio album, this album kills all other Led Zep albums I have heard. And remember, I am the guy who is being harsh on the records I review to even out the reviews section of this site. At three discs, there's a lot of stuff here. My one complaint is that John Bonham's extended drum solo cries "seventies and on a lot of drugs all the time" and will not keep your attention. The sound on this album is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant is overrated. Granted, he is very good, but not as good as everyone gives him credit for. His lyrics aren't as deep and meaningful, for the most part, as everyone gives him credit for. That said, he blows quite a few other rock singers out of the water. He is talented, and this album shows that his voice was good in real life as it was in the studio. Great, great stuff, but not extraordinary as everyone seems to believe. // 8

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is the best Zeppelin release ever because it shows their hearts and souls, and not just what they wanted committed to tape. They rock out on "What is and whart should never be", and they make "dancing days" tolerable. I hate John Bohnam's extended drum solo and the way-too-long orgasmic "Dazed and Confused" but if it were lost I would go out and buy it again. Zeppelin fans, your collection is not complete without this record. Kudos to Jimmy Page for putting this thing together so masterfully. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2004

Sound: Led Zeppelin's CD of "How the West Was Won" is an amazing example of how great Led Zeppelin really was. This is one of the best live recordings I, personally, have ever had the privelage to listen to. It displays the power and talent of the band as a whole. Jimmy Page (Guitarist/Producer) plays with an unreal amount of passion that you can almost feel like your at the concert. Robert Plant(Singer/Harmonica) is at his all-time best performance unlike any other(which is a lot to say!!!). John (Bonzo) Bohnam (Drummer) has done a 15 minute drum solo that beats any other competitor alive(or dead). And John Paul Jones (Bass/Keyboard/Mandolin) has opened up a door to the next generation of bass players that no man before or after has ever achieved. If you are a fan of Led Zeppelin(even if you aren't)you should definitely buy this CD. // 10

Lyrics: What can I say about the lyrics...They're Awesome!!! It is definitely Led Zeppelin at it's best. All the mystism that you would expect to come out of a new Zeppelin CD is there. There's not really a word to describe it. When you listen to the disc you become entangled in the words and emotion that this band has for music. This band has forever changed and sculpted rock for all generations to come. Robert Plant has a voice like no other. On a scale of 1-10 I give Robert Plant a 1...hundred!!! // 10

Overall Impression: I gave it a 5 on everything what do you think. The songs Dazed and Confused and Whole Lotta Love are over 23 minutes long and are leave you waiting for more. Stairway to Heaven is (like always) beautifully mastered and has an extended solo. I love everything about the CD and I hate people who hate it. If it were stolen from me I'd hunt them down and break their poor, helpless body and eat them alive!!! I'd buy it a billion million more times if I lost it. This CD is definitely worth buying. I REPEAT: buy this cd if you know anything about rock music and have any brain cells left in your mind that has been recked from headbanging to Blink 182 (who suck!!! real bad). Thank you. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: Joekaffy2724, on may 18, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing, for a live album, it could not be better. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant. Enough said he is one of the best singers out there, and his range can not be matched by many. // 10

Overall Impression: Everything on this album is awesome. From Jimmy Page's awesome guitar work with variations on songs that made them even better. To John Paul Jones amazing work on Bass, Keyboards, and especailly the Mandolin. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2004

Sound: What can I say? This album really blew me off right at the momment that I heard the first song. The sound is awesome! It really feels like you are in the concert yourself in the middle of the crowd! I loved the sound of the awesome solos from jimmy, and the Plant heatin those notes like crazy! This album just couldnt sound better. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics? Awesome! It really got me going in the middle of the songs. Plant is so much better than I thought he was. He's voice is awesome, even in the middle of that roaring crowd. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is this. If you don't buy this album, you'r missin a "A Whole Lotta Shit"! This is certainly muy favorite album! I don't think Ill be able to get an album like that again. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2004

Sound: As soon as the first song started (immigrant song) I knew Led Zeppelin would soon become one of my most favorite bands. Jimmy Page is awesome. I don't know how he does that stuff on his guitar! John Bonham is undoubtably one of the greatest drummers ever. Robert Plant has stunning vocals, and John Paul Jones is great, very good at bass. I love The Ocean, Black Dog, Stairway To Heaven, Immigrant Song, and Heartbreaker. I love all the songs but those are my favorite. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant is very skilled at writing lyrics and an awesome singer. His lyrics fit great with the music. I have no complaints. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of the greatest albums ever, and if you like rock and roll, heavy metal, blues, anything that relates to that, there is no doubt youll love this alubm. My most favorite song is probably Black Dog, or maybe Stairway To Heaven, or even Immigrant Song. If it was stolen from me, I'd try to find the person who stole it and beat the crap out of him, but if I couldnt, I definetaly buy a new one as fast as I could. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: jerryhendrix, on april 24, 2006

Sound: All through the CD the sound is clear and there is little audience interference with the sound. Also Robert Plants Vocal range is amazing (if you don't belive me listen to immigrant song for about a minute, you'll get the point I'm trying to make). John Paul jones plays a noticable bass throughout the whole CD compilation with complicated licks such as those on the whole lotta love meledley, perticularly the going down slow section. Jimmy Page plays some mean solos that compliment the melody in perfection. John Bonham, as always, plays the drums with ferocity and proves why he was the best drummer to have ever lived. Thier blues rock style is definatly combined so well with thier hard rock side that this album is a must for all Zeppelin fans. // 9

Lyrics: Changes to the usual studio songs were impressive, medleys such as Whole Lotta Love/Boogie Chillun/Lets Have A Party/Hello Marylou/Going Down Slow is one of the most impressive that I have seen from them, again Robert's voice was amazing and his blues rock style of singing was perfect, Jimmy Robert and John Paul Jones are definatly the most talented songwriters that will ever live and this album proves it. // 8

Overall Impression: If you're a fan of Led Zeppelin, long time or just getting into them, this is the album to get. It's powerful from the begining and still manages to stay chill through out the CDs The only negative about this album is that there are 3 CDs in it because the songs are so long (but that's a good thing) if it was stolen or lost I would definatly buy it again or hunt down the bastard that stole it. Believe me you will want to buy this album, it's one of thier and if you don't buy you're missing out. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 03, 2006

Sound: Amazing sound, it represents Led Zeppelin at it's best. I read somewhere that when looking for footage for the Led Zeppelin DVD they stubbled apon these songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were always amazing, the acoustic set (Going To california, that's the way and Bron Ar Yur Stomp) were a step forward for acoustic and the porch singing of Robert plant. The words were like he was reading a beautiful story. Of course stairway to heaven which cleverly hides the meaning of the song in clever wording. It was about getting lost in drugs and all that was going on at that time era. Over The Hills And Far Away of course was pretty cool to. Disc two had Dazed And Confused and the third disc had a twenty-five minute version of Whole Lotta Love. Robert Plant is still one of rock's great voice's. // 10

Overall Impression: When it comes to a live disc this can not be beat at least in the classic rock genre. I think that Stairway To Heaven, Over The Hills And Far Away, all of the acoustics, Dazed And Confused, Whole Lotta Love and the Ocean to me were by far the best. I don't hate anything and I love it because come on it's Led Zeppelin. If I lost it I would definetly rebuy it. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: rafd02, on june 11, 2007

Sound: Although I like Zeppelin's music much better not live, this is a great live album. It consists of 3 discs and 18 songs with lenghs from 14 seconds to 25 minutes. Their styles on this album are mostly hard rock, but stairway to heaven starts out softer. My favorite song on this album is Dazed and Confused. // 9

Lyrics: Personally, I think Robert Plant's singing is better on the album versions of most of these songs, but he sounds ok. The lyrics to every song on the album (except LA Drone, which doesn't have lyrics) go perfectly with the music, but Robert Plant could've done a better job on the singing. // 7

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs are Over the Hills And Far Away, Stairway to Heaven, Rock and Roll, and Bring it on Home. They have the best lyrics, and definately the most impressive guitar solos. The only thing I don't like about this album is the singing. Robert Plant sounds much better on the album version of these songs (except Stairway to Heaven, he sounds pretty much the same). But what I really like about it is how much better the guitar solos and fills sound live. Jimmy Page is much more impressive live than on any album version. // 10

How The West Was Won Reviewed by: ZpplnFn92, on january 25, 2008

Sound: The sound is incredible, yeah it is from two different concerts, but Jimmy did a damn good job fixing these things. I mean if I didn't read the album sleeve, and other reviews, I would've thought it was all from one concert. Still, I would have to say, this album is for people who really like Led Zeppelin, or a die-hard fan such as myself. I mean someone who has heard maybe 4 of their songs wouldn't willingly listen to a 23-25 minute song.(God knows I would thought) But overall, everythiing was mixed perfectly from Immigrant Song, all the way to Bring It On Home. Great sound quality, a must have for Zepp fans, young and old. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrical improvisation was great by Plant, most notably on Black Dog. I really love how he ad-libs entire verses, and somehow everyone can keep up with him. The only thing I really don't like lyric wise is in That's The Way. I know when it was written, the line "My friend, the boy next door" did not have a bad meaning but people look to far into things nowadays. That lines is chastised by everyone who hears that song. Well, seeing as it wasn't meant to be that way, and there is nothing I can do about it. I still give it 3 thumbs up. // 9

Overall Impression: The best live album ever With BBC Sessions 2nd, and I know it really doesn't count as a live album, rather than a sound track, but The Song Remains The Same 3rd. Even though it is technically a bootleg, Live At Blueberry Hill is good. This album gave me a outstanding overall impression, but what really got me was Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, Dazed And Confused, and Whole Lotta Love. One more thing that tickled me, Over The Hills and Far Away, and The Ocean, and some others were from Houses of The Holy, which was released in 1973, These concerts were recorded in '72. I wonder if anyone else caught that as well? // 10

More Led Zeppelin reviews rating latest review