In Through The Out Door Review

artist: led zeppelin date: 06/06/2007 category: compact discs
led zeppelin: In Through The Out Door
Released: 1979
Genre: Rock
Styles: British Blues, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal, Arena Rock, Album Rock
The record was a graceful way to close to Zeppelin's career, even if it wasn't intended as the final chapter.
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
In Through The Out Door Reviewed by: srv34, on july 31, 2006

Sound: With blues driven riffs crashing drum beats and a singer with a mutli octive range theres no wonder or doubt why Zeppelin is concidered to be the best band in the world. This album is a bit off the usual zeppelin sound with more funky songs and just plain wierd songs like hot dog. Somewhere between Presence and In Through The Out Door, disco, punk, and new wave had overtaken rock & roll, and Led Zeppelin chose to tentatively embrace these pop revolutions, adding synthesizers to the mix and emphasizing John Bonham's inherent way with a groove. The album's opening number, "In The Evening," with its stomping rhythms and heavy, staggered riffs, suggests that Zeppelin haven't deviated from their course, but by the time the rolling shuffle of "South Bound Suarez" kicks into gear, it's apparent that they've regained their sense of humor. After "South Bound Suarez," the group tries a variety of styles, whether it's an overdriven homage to Bakersfield county called "Hot Dog," the layered, Latin-tinged percussion and pianos of "Fool in the Rain," or the slickly seductive ballad "All My Love." "Carouselambra," a lurching, self-consciously ambitious synth-driven number, and the slow blues "I'm Gonna Crawl" aren't quite as impressive as the rest of the album, but the record was a graceful way to close to Zeppelin's career, even if it wasn't intended as the final chapter. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album vary from genre and style. All of my love is a touching ballad to robert plants departed son while Carouselambra is a upbeat pop-funk song with lyrics to match. The music bodes well with robert plants lyrics but the synthesizer is a bit weird to be honest. The singing is amazing because lets face it, its robert plant. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is a great way to go out because its not playing on there old styles shown in zeppelin 1-4 this is something new. The most impressive song on this album has to be All of my love. Hot dog was a rather useless piece but still has a great rhythm. If my copy was stolen or lost I'd go buy a new one right away because it's that good. // 9

In Through The Out Door Reviewed by: zeppelinpage4, on january 22, 2007

Sound: First off what can I say it's Zeppelin. Now this is considered a bit off the usual track for Zeppelin, with one of the bigger influences being on John Paul Jones part. In my opinion this is one of their best, the album I will admit can be a matter of taste but it's pure genius and a personal favorite. With more organ and synth work and a slight twist, you get the great Zep experiance. The album artwork has a neat cover where a man is burning a "dear John" letter. Each album has a different photo from a different angle of the man in the bar. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics and the music is genius, and of course Robert Plant's voice is great, perhaps not so much compared to his earlier days, however his voice is purely amazing. I was able to connect and both enjoy the lyrics. Such as All My Love and Hot Dog. I consider Jimmy's playing to be great on the album, even though he was going through drug probelms during those years, his guitar, working with John Paul Jone's really created something special. The usual great riffage and some real emotion, again some of Jimmy's best guitar playing, but that's my opinion. // 9

Overall Impression: Comapred to other Zeppelin albums a lot of people may or may not like it, but I loved it and will say again this is a favorite, like I said taste but you can't not like it it's genius. All of the sonngs are great each one being different and special, which I really liked. Some songs that I really enjoyed included "In The Evening" which had one of the best guitar solos from the band, it really exemplified the emotional playing I mentioned earlier. Hot Dog was just plain fun what can I say. Some great musicianship going in to that, mixed with fun lyrics, however it may take some getting used to, it'll grow on you. Others are the powerfull synth pushed Carouselambra and a beutifully made All My Love. The rest of the songs such as I'm Gonna Crawl, South Band Saurez and Fool In The Rain just oush the greatness of this album. One of the best buys and best albums I have had, and yes I would buy another copy if it got stolen. I'd buy two copies just incase one got stolen again. // 10

In Through The Out Door Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 28, 2005

Sound: The sound category of a Led Zeppelin album will never get below a five as far as I am concerned. No matter what kind of music they play, the sound is exceptional. On In Through The Out Door, their sound takes a turn that is distinctively towards pop. This is by far their softest album. In fact, it is the only album in which Jimmy Page does not receive song writing credit on a few of the songs. Jimmy and John Bonham viewed this album as too soft for Led Zeppelin. Their next album would have been heavier, but in one of the greatest misfortunes in rock history, John Bonham was found dead before its completion. In Through the Out Door is the most interesting of Zep's albums. The track "Hot Dog" shows how far away from their roots Led went in the making of this album. However, two songs stand out in this collection. "Fool In The Rain" and "All My Love" show that Led Zeppelin has the ability to create a softer kind of music very well. // 10

Lyrics: Plant's lyrics are among his best written for any album. "All My Love" and "Fool In The Rain" are lyrical gems, but not all of the songs are. "Carouselambra" and "Hot Dog" are the weak spots lyrically. As with any Led Zeppelin album, Plant's words match perfectly with Page, Jones, and Bonham's music. // 10

Overall Impression: I really like this album. Although I much rather the harder side of the Zep, this album intrigues me. The pop in the group comes out, and it is not that bad. I like the style of most of the songs, but they could have put in at least one rocker. If it were stolen again, I would buy it in a heart beat. // 10

In Through The Out Door Reviewed by: Guitar Wizard, on february 07, 2006

Sound: When one buys this album, they are saying to the world that they value all of Led Zeppelin's work. This is maybe the less hard rock/blues side to Led Zeppelin. With the acception of, "I'm Gonna Crawl," this album isn't really bluesy like they were before. I can best decribe the sound as mixing pop with smooth melodies. This sound is one that only Led Zeppelin can create and get away with it. // 9

Lyrics: I thought the vocals were pretty good in this album. Robert Plant uses some nice lyrics with "In The Evening" and "All Of My Love." Plant had a stunning finish and ended his Led Zeppelin career with a bang. I really enjoyed hearing all of his songs and I will never get tired of them. // 10

Overall Impression: If you are the type of fan who just likes Led Zeppelin IV, stay clear of this album. Listeners who liked the blues of Led Zeppelin (or the casual fan) may want to reconsider purchasing this album. This is best enjoyed by the die hard fan, and if you have all the other Led Zeppelin albums, its worth to get this one and finish the collection. // 8

In Through The Out Door Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on february 21, 2006

Sound: Released in 1979, In Through the Out Door was Led Zeppelin's last album together; and boy, what a way to go out with a bang. Though many people disregard this album, it is in my opinion one of their best, if not their all-time best. Physical Graffiti was really good too, but In Through the Out Door is such an incredible feat of music, it's unbelievable. For just 7 songs, the album really delivers. 6 out of the 7 were written or co-written by the band's bassist, John Paul Jones. There are two main reasons for this. Robert Plant and John Bonham had become close friends at the time, and they would usually go and hang out together, leaving Jimmy Page and JPJ alone to write. On top of that, though, at the time Page had become a terrible drug addict, and would usually be too out of his mind to contribute or would just not show up for sessions. So Jones was by himself a lot of the time, doing most of the writing. And though it's terrible that the band members were having problems with each other at the time, In Through the Out Door is the good that came out of it, because for the first time, we really get to see JPJ's genius. Almost makes you question if they should've let Jones write more often! // 10

Lyrics: Since JPJ wrote the bulk of the songs, the lyrics take on a different perspective than the usual Page/Plant style. The song content is usually a bit more personal, and it's certainly a touching album. The only song that Jones did not contribute to would be the widely disliked "Hot Dog," which takes on a square dance/southern style, and is generally just goofy. I personally like the song, but it's not a Zep masterpiece by any means. For the most part, the lyrics on this album are incredible. I tend to think that Physical Graffiti has better lyrics overall, but In Through the Out Door certainly has its moments, and for that I think the lyrics deserve a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: I wouldn't suggest getting this album unless you're a huge, huge Zeppelin fan and you have most of the band's other albums. I first heard the album back when I had only previously heard their first 4 albums, and to be honest, I hated it. But the album is definitely a worthy addition to your Zeppelin collection if you're willing to give it a shot. I did, and it was one of the smartest things I've ever done. // 10

In Through The Out Door Reviewed by: derek5, on june 06, 2007

Sound: Everyone knows that Led Zeppelin is one of, if not the, greatest band of all time. Non-withstanding what I just said, they have put out some works that were less apealing than others. This, along with Led Zeppelin III, is one of them. I had owned every other Led Zeppelin album before this and was wowed by each of them (not so much III, but it's not that bad), and they are all better than this. The only problem with saying this album sucks is that it doesn't. It's just not up to the quality of the other albums. // 8

Lyrics: The greatest thing about this album is that it has some great lyrics and Robert Plant's vocals are just as perfectly shrill as ever. Ther's not really much else I can say except that if you really the lyrical portion of Led Zeppelin's music (I assume you don't have Led Zeppelin I or II), this album's for you. // 10

Overall Impression: It should be noted that this album is heavily reliant on the lyrics rather than instrumental music. This really disappoints me because when I buy a Led Zeppelin album, I expect to have to work all night long trying to learn every riff to every song, but this just doesn't inspire me to even try. If you really want the best Zeppelin album, look elsewhere (like IV or Physical Grafitti). It this was lost or stolen, I don't think I would buy it again. // 6

More Led Zeppelin reviews rating latest review