Led Zeppelin Review

artist: led zeppelin date: 01/21/2008 category: compact discs
led zeppelin: Led Zeppelin
Released: Jan 12, 1969
Genre: Rock
Styles: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, British Blues, British Metal, Album Rock
Led Zeppelin had a fully formed, distinctive sound from the outset, as their eponymous debut illustrates.
 Lyrics: 8.9
 9.5
 9.5
 9.4
Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: Led Wing, on september 06, 2004

Sound: Led Zeppelin's debut is the most blues-based album they recorded. The atmosphere is so heavy it's really mind-blowing. It's so heavy it may even be too much for some. This tone is most evident in the famous track Dazed and Confused which is one of the songs Jimmy Page used a violin bow on. The songs on this album range from short and sweet to long and amazing. Although this record is dominated by blues, Zep pulls out a little folk with Black Mountain Side. They also manage to fuse hard-rock with acoustic sounds in Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and it comes out good. It's hard to imagine that this record was made in 30 work hours over 9 days for only 1, 782. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what you would expect from blues. Tales Of Heartbreak and Brown-Eyed Girls. Although all these songs are about love, it doesn't once get annoying or sappy. These bluesy words are served up wonderfully by Robert Plant. I can't imagine anyone else singing these songs and still sounding as good as he does. // 10

Overall Impression: Although this is a debut, it's one heck of one, that's for sure. This album layed down the heaviness that Led Zeppelin is famous for. My favorite songs from this album are Dazed And Confused, Communication Breakdown, and Babe I'm Gonna Leave You. Dazed gives you heavily distorted guitar sounds, heavy bass, and a killer solo. Communication is a fast two-and-a-half minute rocker with great vocals, solo, and very enjoyable (not to mention a great first song to learn how to play on the guitar). And Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is an excellent acoustic piece. If I managed to lose this album, I would buy it again as soon as possible. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2005

Sound: There sound was very new at the time no one had heard anything like it before a cool mix of rock and blues. Jimmy Page is one of the greatest guitar players. Robert Plant is one of the best in vocals. John Paul Jones is #1 at bass. Bonzo beats those drums down. // 10

Lyrics: Really good lyrics they have had better. They had 2 covers of Willie Dixon on here which I thought was cool cause Willie is a great old blues man. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Good Times Bad Times - a really short song but a great song 5/5. 02. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - one of my favorite LedZep tracks great guitar work 5/5. 03. You Shook Me - a Willie Dixon Cover and better than the original. 04. Dazed & Confused - the turned upside down when I heard this song I love everything about it 6/5. 05. Your Time Is Gonna Come - a really catchy chorus but not that great of a song 3/5. 06. Black Mountain Side - instrumental song and I like it alot 5/5. 07. Communication Breakdown - a short song But is really awesome 5/5. 08. I Can't Quit You Baby - Willie Dixon song LedZep do it better than the original again. 09. How Many More Times - longest song on here and is great! 5/5. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: Da Jerk, on july 25, 2005

Sound: The debut album from what I consider the best band ever, Led Zeppelin changed the face of music when it was released. Nobody had ever heard the blues performed this loudly before. Each member of Led Zeppelin was highly influential, and this can even be seen on the first track, the short but sweet "Good Times Bad Times," where each member's talents are obvious from the start. The album is also diverse, containing three folk-styled tracks. "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" was the first, but not the last, attempt at a folk/hard rock fusion by the band with some of Robert Plant's most heartfelt vocals to date (as well as the first example of the magic of Jimmy Page and Robert Plant together), "Your Time Is Gonna Come" has a catchy chorus and wonderful atmospheric keyboard intro by bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones, and "Black Mountain Side" is a short, calming acoustic piece which is appropriately placed immediately after "Your Time Is Gonna Come". There are two covers of songs by the famous bluesman Willie Dixon, "You Shook Me" and "I Can't Quit You Baby." The former features an outstanding solo section, featuring Jones on the organ, singer Plant on harmonica, and Jimmy Page on guitar. The latter is probably the weakest song on the album, but is still a joy to listen to, due to Page's guitar work. "Communication Breakdown" is similar to "Good Times Bad Times," only with a more punk sound to it and one of Page's best solos. The remaining songs are the highlights here, along with "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You." "How Many More Times" is the longest song here, at 8 1/2 minutes, with an addictive riff, amazing fills by drummer John Bonham, and the use of Jimmy Page's famous violin bow on the guitar. However, the best song on the album is "Dazed And Confused," which has an amazing, yet simple riff, powerful vocals by Plant, great use of the violin bow in the middle section, and a blistering guitar solo. While not their most diverse album, Led Zeppelin is one of the most important albums of hard rock, one which changed the music industry forever. Their rendition of the blues spawned thousands of imitators and eventually resulted in the hard rock and metal of today. // 10

Lyrics: While not the best or most thought-provoking lyrics from Led Zeppelin, the lyrics on their debut album will suffice. Every song deals with women, but the theme never gets old or annoying, because each song presents a different mood. Also, this album sports some of Robert Plant's finest vocals. If the lyrics weren't sung with this much sincerity, songs like "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" would fall flat on their face. This category gets points for Plant's vocals and the fact that the theme doesn't get old on the album, but it still loses a point for diversity. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of the finest debuts I have ever seen. Led Zeppelin changed music forever with this album, and continued to impress the world throughout their 12-year career. Also, at this point the band members were relatively unknown, except for former Yardbirds guitarist Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, who had previously worked as a session musician. This was a fine debut, and the group would only improve as time went on. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: Faydock, on november 16, 2005

Sound: The first self-titled album and one of the best by the just as great influential band: Led Zeppelin. Originally released January 12, 1969, it was the album that showed the amazing talent produced by the band by using their combination of blues and rock and simpily playing it loud, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Bonham, and John Paul Jones were all able to influence a whole new genre of music. The post albums after this weren't as bluesy as this album, as they soon developed a more folk and heavier sound. This makes this album have a different sound with it's lower voiced Robert Plant, twangy guitar sounds from Jimmy's telecaster, Bonhams earlier style of drumming, and John Paul Jones' softer bass lines, this is an album worth checking if you're more of a blues fan. // 10

Lyrics: This albums lyrics has a lot more to do about women than the rest of their collection. Plant was able to mix the words of his lyrics and the sound of his voice excellently with the rest of the music of the band. // 10

Overall Impression: One of my personally favorite albums by my favorite band ever, this album is full with great songs, The fast-paced loud blues mix of Communication Breakdown, the incredible Bow work on Dazed And Confused, the great guitar and lyrics of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, the relaxing keyboard in Your Time Is Gonna Come, this is one of the Led Zeppelin albums I would recommend to anyone new to Led Zeppelin. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: ZeppelinZed, on february 09, 2006

Sound: Led Zeppelin: the album that ignited an entire era of new music and countless imitators. While the album itself was released in 1969, the soon-to-be supergroup of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John "Bonzo" Bonham were already touring parts of Europe in 1968 under the title The New YardBirds(The YardBirds being the band from which forth Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page originally were members of). These four incredible, at the time relatively unknown musicians collaborated together on this album to truly re-invent what blues and rock'n'roll meant. The opening track, Good Times Bad Times, characterizes what the band set out to do for the rest of their carrer: Play the heaviest rock possible! While the entire album can best be described as blues, Zeppelin created a new definition for the genre through numerous alterations and mood swings. The pace is near lightning speed throughout Communication Breakdown, capitalized with a classic solo and Plant's signature screeching. Good Times Bad Times immediately pounds your brain with it's opening riff. The two cover songs, You Shook Me and I Can't Quit You Baby, top the originals by utilizing extended guitar riffs and a heavier, droning vocals section rarely heard by Plant. The former is also one of my favorites due to the Plant harmonica, JPJ organ, and Page guitar solos all in succession, genuinely showcasing each members extreme talent at each instrument. While Your Time is Gonna Come is indeed the weakest track off the record, it does shine with a beautiful organ intro and contagious chorus. Next are the two songs that foreshadowed the vast diversity that would become commonplace for Zeppelin, the acoustic rocker Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Indian flavor, instrumental Black Mountain Side. And finally we reach the two cornerstones of the albums experience: Dazed and Confused and How Many More Times. Dazed and Confused envelops everything that is Led Zeppelin. From the absolute greatest opening bass line of all time, to Plant's fabulous highs and lows of vocal technique, to the ever famous use of a violin bow on Page's guitar for some of the most brilliant effects in history. It was this song that all Led Zeppelin shows live revolved around, as it was not uncommon for this one song to last upwards of 45 minutes! And finally, the last track on the album, which also happens to be the longest at 8:28 and my personal favorite, is the number dubbed How Many More Times. Every single member of the band and nearly all the techniques used on the album are presented flawlessly here on this one song. Scorching vocals, the violin bow, fabulous rythm work by Bonzo and JPJ, a roller coaster of music and emotion. It is impossible to acurately describe it through words. And so, this is what to expect when venturing off into the album Led Zeppelin: sheer and utter brilliance. I have attempted to describe as best I can the impact of this album both on an individual level and rock history as well. Now all that is left is for you to experience the majesty yourself. // 10

Lyrics: Being a blues album, every song revolves around a woman or women in one form or another. But fortuanately for all the listeners, repetion never rears it's ugly head. The mood of each individual track changes from heartbreak to desire, confusion to bliss. Add to this the fact that the instrumental work provides a unique emotion on its own and the album maintains fresh throughout. It is on this album that Robert Plant solidifies his position as one of the greates vocalists of all time. Every note he hits, whether high or low, will rattle you to the very core. His screeching is young in this album, but completely charged. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the album that changed the very face of music and molded what we listen to on the radios today. No other artists have made the blues this hard and innovative. Led Zeppelin the band are without a doubt one of the best bands to have ever existed and their first album is a testament to their revolutionary style of rock and roll. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 28, 2006

Sound: This album, which was Zep's first, was really a blues album, an album where Zeppelin had not quite developed their own sound, but had defined it. It's filled with overdubs, screaming guitar solos, and other amazing stuff, more noticeably, John Paul Jones' bass work on 'Good Times Bad Times', which kicks off the album. The entire guitar sound was mainly comprised of Jimmy's Les Paul, and a crappy Vox amp, which Jimmy completely mauled trying to get different sounds out of it. Zeppelin borrowed heavily off of earlier bluesman such as Howlin' Wolf, and Blind Lemon Jefferson. The band would borrow riffs, and mould them to fit their vision. Listen to the song 'How Many More Times' and notice the opening riff. Then, if you can, listen to Howlin' Wolfs 'How Many More Years' and note the similarities. However, they didn't just use the same riff, they changed it slightly, and added different parts to the song, so they had a Led Zeppelin song, not a Howlin' Wolf song. Even though the album is blues heavy, such songs as 'Your Time Is Gonna Come', and 'Black Mountain Side' are completly different from the rest of the album, but somehow fit right in to the entire feel of the production. John Paul Jones also does some amazing keyboard work on 'Your Time Is Gonna Come' which is a good example of Zep's ability to write classic pop riffs, along with 'Good Times Bad Times'. One of the more interesting things about this album, is that it was completely recorded and edited in twenty hours, according to Jimmy Page. The best thing about the album is Bonzo. And if you didn't know that John Bonhom was also called Bonzo then you aren't a Led Zeppelin fan. Bonzo was the thing that made Zeppelin go. Without him, the band really would have crashed like a lead zeppelin. In the begining of 'Good Times Bad Times' he's using one kick drum, whereas any other drummer would have to use two to get the sound Bonzo did. The other awe-inspiring thing about him is that all his power came from his wrists. All of it. Listen to Moby Dick on How The West Was Won, which I'll be reviewing soon. While this is a great album, it isn't the best in the Zeppelin discography. // 9

Lyrics: Robert Plant had an amazingly powerful voice, that leaked on the original tapes. At this time, Plant was under contract to CBS, so he recieved no songwriting credits on the album. His lyrics also copied from other bluesman, instead of borrowing and improvising. The lyrics are really good, but they aren't exactly Plant's own. In fact, Robert never truly wrote his own lyrics until Led Zeppelin IV, because Jimmy always had some input. However, the lyrics fit right into the songs. One of my personal favorite's is in the middle of 'How Many More Times': "Oh Rosy, Oh girl, Oh Rosy, Oh girl, Steal away now, Steal away, Steal away baby, Steal away." The line is punctuated with rectified guitar, keyboards and bass drum. The lyrics are so powerful and forcelful, that they compliment that part of the song perfectly. Robert was also a great singer who, I honestly think, stole lyrics because they spoke to him, and really helped him feel a song. This alobum was a fair examnple of his singing prowess. // 8

Overall Impression: Zeppelin was, without question, the greatest band of all time, due to the amazing ability of all the band members, and the scary mental connection that they obviously had. The band could probably only be compared to Cream, even though that band met their demise before Zeppelin became what they were. The three best songs from the album were definitely 'Communication Breakdown', 'Dazed And Confused', and 'Black Mountain Side'. These songs had the biggest effect on me, especially the overdubbed bow parts in 'Dazed And Confused'. The thing I hat the most about the album is Jimmy's sloppy playing. He had the dilema of a musician who thought faster than he could play. Though he had a creative mind, Jimmy was a horrible guitar player. I still love his ability to orchestrate and create wierd timing. I honestly think that Led Zeppelin is not complete without this album. If I lost this album, I would not go out and buy it again (the cheapest price I could find it at was twenty-two dollars), but all my friends have it, so I'd probably just copy it. Zeppelin is an amazing band. // 9

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: Page/Rhoads, on december 18, 2007

Sound: This album is downright blues rock. Zeppelin show their roots on their first album. There is nothing other than pure rock and roll. When I first listened to this album, it made me realize why they are the kings of blues rock. Zeppelin have since become my favorite band, and this album has a lot to do with it. The fact that the album was recorded in only 48 hours shows that they are true musicians, who don't care about mistakes. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant wanted to make an impact, and he did on this album. His vocals are some of the bluesiest vocals I have ever heard. The lyrics are straight up rock and roll. The emotion he put behind them was unbelievable. Plant showed why he is considered by many to be the greatest singer of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, this is my favorite Zeppelin studio album. The blues feel is just amazing. The best songs are, Good Times Bad Times, the acoustic Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, the bluesey Dazed and Confused and You Shook me and the hard rock Communication Breakdown are the highest points of the album. This is an amazing debut for the greatest band of all time. If it were stolen, someone would get hurt. Bad. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 27, 2006

Sound: This for a first album is an absolutely unique and stunning music from Led Zeppelin and this to me might be one the very first metal albums which feature great songs such as Dazed and Confused, Babe I'm gonna leave you, Communication Breakdown, I Cant Quit You Baby, You Shook Me and the best pick of the bunch How Many More Times. Jimmy Page's virtuosity and great guitar work accompanied with Bonham's awesome drumming, John Paul Jones' superb signature licks and Robert Plant's awesome vocals they have made a revolutionary album which would eventually shape metal. Overall the album is where you can find Led Zeppelin's roots and one of their rawest albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album is something where blues meets rock which is a good combination. Overall the lyrics of the cover songs like You Shook Me was made to be more grittier which suits the music of Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant owns vocals which are raw and flexible and a bit raunchy which shaped Zeppelin's scourging but sometimes soft rockers, some such examples of the rawness are Dazed And Confused, Communication Breakdown while also his soft vocals shown in other albums but rarely shown in this album. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of those revolutionary albums of the 60s that you need to pick up from a record store because a rock album collection would not be complete without this, and this is the album that might have made metal. The only weak point is Your Time Is Gonna Come. I bought this record in a cassette and just kept playing it and rewinding it time and time again feeling in love with the songs How Many More Times Dazed And Confused, Communication Breakdown. This is one of Zeppelin's most greatest albums in their illustriuos career. A must buy for Led Zeppelin fans and an all time classic album. // 10

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: Dahaka, on august 21, 2007

Sound: This album my have been their debut but it showed just how amazingly talented each member is as a musician. With Robert Plant's unique high tenor vocals, Jimmy Page's amazing guitar work and John Paul Jones and John Bonham keeping a great rhythm each song is a work of art with a wide range of song types such as the slow, old school blues song 'You Shook Me' to hard hitting fast paced 'Communication Breakdown'. There is even an amazing instrumental named 'Black Mountain Side' which sounds like it's come straight from the East. // 10

Lyrics: Despite having fantastic musical abilities the songs are basically about the same thing: a woman. If Led Zeppelin had written songs about other things that men haven't been writing about since the dawn of time then who knows what else this album could have achieved. Luckily this nasty habit ends with Led Zeppelin III. Robert Plant truly shines with his vocals here. // 7

Overall Impression: Led Zeppelin I is a serious contender for the greatest album of all time. Each song is brilliant but my personal favourite is 'How Many More Times' but 'Black Mountain Side' and 'Good Times Bad Times' are also great songs. I love the musicianship of the album but I get sick of the lyrics. // 9

Led Zeppelin Reviewed by: musiclover_92, on january 21, 2008

Sound: The sound of this album is freakin great, I think Jimmy is using his 58' tele on it, among other guitars, but it's great, Bonzo's drumming is completely solid, JPJ's bass and organ, well, you know, he is an amazing musician, and composer and arranger and the like, and a 19 or 20, (I think), Robert Plant, sounds a lot more experienced, I can't believe how cheap and how fast it was made, the album is the bluesiest of the Zeppelin. Zeppelin only had one bluesy song on their last album, it kinda declined a bit every album, but this one rocks, DAzed and Confused and Communication Breakdown are probably best tracks on it. Blavk Mountain Side, (the acoustic showpiece), really shows Page's versatility. // 10

Lyrics: lyrics really fit the blues in it. It isn't as good as the other Zeppelin albums but it works. I wasn't too impressed with the lyrics, since the blues wasn't exactly new when Plant wrote it. IT does fit though. Plants range of vocal is pretty good though. he has his highs and lows, the change of lyrics on "Dazed and Confused" fits very well. // 8

Overall Impression: IT compares to the American Bluesmen pretty good, except for Plant, he doesn't really sound like an American bluesman. It is just as good as the other Zeppelin albums too and compares to a lot of other 1968-1970 era releases, especially the ones from other British artists, I would buy it again, like I said, Dazed and Confused and Communication Breakdown are the best songs on it, I love that it is very blues bases, I hate it's length, it could be a little longer. // 9

More Led Zeppelin reviews rating latest review