Led Zeppelin IV Review

artist: led zeppelin date: 04/07/2010 category: compact discs
led zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV
Released: Nov 8, 1971
Genre: Rock
Tones: Volatile, Eerie, Aggressive, Brash, Poignant, Passionate, Ominous, Precious, Menacing, Intense, Raucous, Ethereal
Styles: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, British Metal
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.6
 9.5
 9.7
Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: Zoso12, on december 02, 2005

Sound: The album of IV, or ZOSO (and the other 3 symbols) is arguably one of Led Zeppelin's greatest albums. If you are to buy any Led Zeppelin album, make it this one. 01. Black Dog - a great song, starts out with guitar scratching. Then, Robert Plant belts out those famous words "hey hey mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove!" Then the rest of the band answers him with a wonderfully timed beat and a cool rhythm. This song really shows the coordination of the band. One of the best songs on the album, a classic. 02. Rock And Roll - this song, now made famous for the caddillac comercial, is another great. It starts out with a steady cymbal crash drum beat. Then the guitar comes in with some great hard riffs and then Robert bursts in with his vocals again. 03. The Battle Of Evermore - yet another excellent song, this one starts out with a quiet mandolin strumming 3 notes and then after a few measures Robert comes in with his leading vocals, then followed by another female voice who does wonderful harmonies with Robert. It has a perfect mix of vocal and guitar and mandolin. 04. Stairway To Heaven - arguably one of the best (and over-rated) songs ever. Personally I don't think it's over-rated at all. Its a true musical wonder, with great guitar. The vocals are, again, amazing. The end is my personal favorite part, a highly rated song for me. 05. Misty Mountain Hop - another, famous, superb song. Kind of on the wierd side for some people. It starts out with a keyboard chopping out the main rythm, then the rest of the band comes in after another few measures. The Verses are done in a strange beat, but somehow it all works out, another fabulously done song. 06. Four Sticks - a lesser known song. Also on the wierd side. The main rythm is a sliding sound back and fourth. I dont have much to say on this song, because I'm not as familiar with it. But its still a good song. 07. Going To California - a slower, acoustic song. This might detere some of the more rocking Zeppelin fans, but it still is a great song. It's orchestrated beatifully as well. It starts out with Jimmy page plucking octive notes, then builds on itself into a new tune. A excellent slower song. 08. When The Levee Breaks - another personaly favorite of mine. It starts out with one of the most famous drum beats known. The best stays steady and true through the whole song. Then Jimmy Page comes in with a sliding type of guitar rhythm. And Robert Joins too with a physicadelic Harmonica solo, and a great one at that. THe last, but definatly not least song on the album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are super! Robert Plant busts out some of the greatest Sounds that a human being can make, as far as I'm conserned. In the battle of evermore, he does some of the greatest singing I've heard on a Zeppelin album. // 10

Overall Impression: A great, excellent, superb album. Almost all of the songs (proabably excluding Four Sticks) A great album. I love almost everything about it. If your going to buy any CD ever, make it this one. You get a little taste of everything from Led Zeppelin IV. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: Led Zeppelin IV is the culmination of what happens when a band filled with some of the greatest musicians in history decide to make an album that will forever change the face of music as we know it. This album is undoubtedly the greatest work in rock's history. The production quality is better than almost all of the albums out today which is saying something considering the album was released in 1971. Pagey, Jonesy, Bonzo and Percy finally find the balance between the two extremes of music, hard rock and soft folk acoustic songs. If you don't believe me then listen to Going to California and then listen to then next song When the Levee Breaks. The first is such a soft beautiful, yet haunting song with a chiming mandolin and acoustic guitar. Then of course there is Levee which is often considered the heaviest song in Western music. They are so different in sound and message that it is almost unthinkable that one band performed them both in the same time period. // 10

Lyrics: Some people think Robert Plant was a lyrical genius and others think he was a mindless ape. The latter are the true apes. Obviously some of the lyrics don't make perfect sense, but then again they weren't meant to. One of the big thing about Ld Zeppelin was that they were so mysterious and many things were merely mentioned instead of explained. Look at Stairway to Heaven. It is widely considered the best song of all time, and most people will say that the lyrics are just gorgeous, which they are. But on paper they don't make a whole lotta sense. Yet somehow a message is still put across much more effectively than most other artists could ever dream. That ladies and gentlemen is a sign of pure lyrical genius. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the questions they encourage you to answer when writing a review is "Does it compare to other albums (artists)?". This is perhaps the flat out dumbest question to ask when reviewing Led Zeppelin IV. This album is above every other album by every other artist. A bold statement I know, but it helps that I am right. Another guide that they ask you to follow when writing a review is "Be critical! Nothing is perfect." Normally I would agree, but this album is perfect. Not one lame song, not one bad note, not anything but perfection. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: Heaviest Thing, on july 26, 2005

Sound: The sound is just so flippin' swell I could die after listneing but thanks God I didn't because I couldn't right about how good it is I give a straight 5. Guitar is awesome, bass, is awesome, drums are awesome, lyrics/vocals are awesome. Jimmy Page is the best producer ever and Robert Plant and him are great lyric righters. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant and Jimmy Page where do I start? It's just awesome, the music is mind bogeling! This has to be bye far one of the best debue album if not the best not just for its lyrics but it's overall gorgous sound. The lyris alone are some of the best I've ever heard. Although there are other good lyric righters like James Hetfield (Metallica if you didn't know) but I say Robert Plant is just a whole lot better. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has no competition to most other albums there are a select few dont get me wrong that I think are great. My opniun of course you reading so guess you want my opniun. This is a straight down to the bone great album not only that but by one of the arguably greatest band on earth Led Zeppelin. I say onto you buy this flippin' album or don't ever another album ever. Just messing but seriously check this album out for yourself. It's as good as I say it is and even if you dont like Zeppelin well then you'll feel diffrent but if you like them even only a little you'll love them after hearing this album. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2005

Sound: Really good. It is impressive how they are able to switch from one style of music to another. Stairway to heaven is great (of course) because it starts off slow on an acoustic guitar and then picks up towards the end and Jimmy Page plays a sick ass solo. Bonhams drums are great, I love the drums on when the levee breaks. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good I think. Of cousre they are the best on Stairway to heaven. All the other songs r good too. Flying Pee is an idiot, it's hard rock! The songs are supposed to be about drugs drinking and f--king. Any of the other great hard rock bands had lyrics just like that (AC/DC, Guns N' Roses). // 10

Overall Impression: Best Zeppelin album ever. It's like 34 years old and its still better than any of the pussy pop rock bands today like simple plan. Best songs are all of em really, I just don't really like Battle Of Evermore that much. If it was lost or stolen I'd buy a new one if I didnt find out who stole it 'cause if I did I would just kick there ass and take it back. Buy this. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 31, 2005

Sound: The quality of sound is fine on all songs, very clear and plenty sharp enough. It should obviously be taken as read that the songs are all flawlessly executed. I love the different stlyes that are all introduced with complete success, and the little refferences to LOTR are just a beautiful touch in my opinion. My God I just love this albumn (you should be aware that I'm listening to Stairway To Heaven while writing this just to remind myself how amazing it is). // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics range from stariway to heaven which are just amazing. I can (hand have done more than once) just sit and listen to it or just read the lyrics for hours letting my mind wander, it's like a drug, just puts me out of reality completely. Robert Plant, amazing singer. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm not sure if its their best albumn ever, because that would be implying that it is better than their others which I don't think is possible. Going To California is amazingly layed back, Black Dog is amzingly cool, When The Levee Breaks is amazingly heavy, Battle Of Evermore is amazingly strange (in a good way, it's still amazing), Stairway To Heaven is just gonna get its own paragraph! Wow what can I say that I haven't already, the start is so beautifully mournful, the harmonies are so pretty, the solo is so amazingly good (it's the first solo I ever learned, so I know it that well but it's still amazingly cool every time I listen to it) and the end is so heavy and hard its hard to belive it's the same song that started so gently 6 minutes 44 seconds previously. The lyrics remain hugely deep throughout however. If someone stole it, I would buy another copy from each and every music store within a days driving distance of my house. And as we walk on down the road, our shadows taller than our souls. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: Da Jerk, on october 10, 2005

Sound: Led Zeppelin IV (or whatever you call it) has some of the best sound quality of any other Zeppelin record (or any album of the era), in my opinion. From the very start, the listener is introduced to Black Dog, with crisp, but heavy guitar tones and Plant's wailing voice (which was at its peak). Rock And Roll features Bonzo bashing the drums as if his life depended on it, but that's not his best performance on the album. That award goes to the closing When The Levee Breaks, with a sound that no one had heard at the time, and probably never will again. The drums were recorded in a stairwell, giving them their almost unnaturally heavy sound. Also, I think the pitch was lowered a bit, making everything even heavier. Truly one of the best blues songs of all time. We also have two folk songs, The Battle Of Evermore (featuring beautiful mandolin playing by John Paul Jones) and Going To California (one of the best acoustic songs the band wrote). Misty Mountain Hop features more heavy drums, and an almost poppish keyboard/guitar line. Four Sticks is also a great song, with creative riffs and Bonzo playing with four sticks. But of course, the highlight is Stairway To Heaven, which is in my opinion the greatest song of all time. From the light acoustic intro to the bombastic, emotional ending, the song is beyond words. But I don't have to explain it, you've heard it before. // 10

Lyrics: This is where Robert Plant really started to shine as a lyricist. There are, as always, songs about women (the humorous Black Dog and the wonderful Going To California), hilarious songs about getting caught with "cigarette papers" (Misty Mountain Hop), songs about Lord of the Rings (The Battle Of Evermore), and everything in between. From here on, Zeppelin's lyrics were just as interesting as the music, telling grand stories and painting wonderful images. // 10

Overall Impression: Any fan of rock music must own this album. It's one of my top three albums of all time, and anyone who wants to get into Zeppelin should start with this album. Though you've probably heard over half of it on the radio countless times, it's still worth your money. Trust me. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: mattfm, on september 02, 2006

Sound: Holy cow there is no other album with a sound like this. Zep was still rooted in blues when they recorded this masterpiece. This also has to be one of the most diverse albums too. Heavy guitars, pounding drums, deep bass, screeching vocals to subtle mandolins, mellow acoustic guitars, and gentle vocals. Not to mention the impressive recording techniques that made the sound. Jimmy Page's guitars ranged from heavily distorted tones that were overdubbed so many times it could have ruined the tape all the way to beautiful finger picked acoustics. Not to mention his solos. Stairway To Heaven solo was probably the best of all time. The mandolin performances were awesome. The Battle of Evermore had dual mandolins played by John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page, and Going To California with guitar and mandolins. John Bonham's booming drums accompanied the heavier songs. The drum sound on When the Levee Breaks was recorded with Bonham playing at the bottom of a stairwell and the microphone 3 stories above. No other person has been able to reproduce this drum sound. JPJ's basslines are pretty much shadowed by the guitars, but great nonetheless. His overdubbed recorders added a Celtic folk feeling to Stairway. Overall, you can hear hard rock, rock and roll, folk, and acoustic tones on this amazing album. // 10

Lyrics: Typical Led Zeppelin. Most of the stuff has to do with mystical figures and times. This led many people to believe that the lyrics of Stairway to Heaven played backwards contained Satanic messages. I personally believe it's a load of BS. Some songs are different though, like Black Dog and Rock and Roll have more straight forward themes. It seems that the "mystical" songs have slower music that has a more depressing tune, with the exception of Misty Mountain Hop. The lyrics were well written though, and I think that the Page-Plant team could be up there with Lennon-McCartney and Jagger-Richards. // 10

Overall Impression: Many lists and polls rate this the best album of all times. I totally agree with them. It is the turning point in Led Zeppelin's career when they became less blues influenced and became much heavier. The centerpiece of the album is Stairway to Heaven. It is my personal favorite alongside Black Dog, Rock And Roll, and Going To California. You will immediatly fall in love with this album as I did (I was very young too). There is virtually nothing to hate, unless you don't like longer songs. If someone stole this, I'd feel really bad because someone let me borrow this CD and I haven't given it back yet (don't worry he said take as long as I want). I'm definetly get this once I give it back. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 01, 2003

Overall Impression: On their untitled fourth album (referred to as Led Zeppelin IV or Zoso) Led Zeppelin firmly cemented their status as the greatest pure rock band of all time (The Beatles wrote a lot of pop music). The best part of this album is the versitilty of the tracks. Track one on the CD version, "Black Dog" is a classic example (like it or not Robert Plant!) of how LZ helped invent metal, with heavy guitars and solid drum work. Then there's "Rock and Roll" which is Robert Plant's way of saluting the 1950's. This song is on all lists of classic Led Zep. Track 3 is "The Battle of Evermore", a very experimental track, using a mandolin and guest vocals by British folk-rocker Sandy Denny. But the song that sums up the album is the classic "Stairway to Heaven". As anyone old enough to remember 1970's radio can recall, "Stairway" starts out as just simple plucking the strings of the acoustic guitar to all out electric mayhem and then to a quiet finish. Unfortunately this song was played constantly on the radio and got the dubious distinction of being "The Most Overplayed Song in Music History". The albums weakpoint is in tracks four and five. Although "Four Sticks" and "Misty Mountain Hop" were still very good songs, they fall short of the other six tracks. "Going to California" is next and it is quite a strange song. It is strange because it is a song that your Dad, your Grandma, and your older brother can all like. It is what it is. Unlike "Stairway" which starts out slow and becomes faster, "Going to California" is slow folk-rock for all 3:31. On the closer "When the Levee Breaks" John Bonham's drumming is the heart and soul of the song. It is a slow and sexy song.
I still wonder at the fact that Led Zeppelin could complete such a musically diverse album while still maintaining their integrity as Hard Rock Gods. This is without a doubt the greatest Led Zeppelin album ever and rivals The Beatles' "White Album" and "Revolver" as the greatest ever. // 10

- Till From Kenig (c) 2003

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: Ratiug318, on november 27, 2003

Sound: Jimmy Page is one of the most innovative and influencial rock guitarists of all time. On "Led Zeppelin" aka "Led Zeppelin IV" aka "Zoso" (lol), he proves this. This album is very diverse, and Led Zeppelin is the only band I've ever heard that can play folk songs, heavy metal, and some real rock 'n' roll. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very meaningful, unlike 80% of the lyrics of today's acts. Robert Plant is one of the most amazing rock singers. His strange blend of falsetto singing and screaming is a very cool sounding vocal part. Though his high-pitched style may not be for everyone, it still sounds awesome to many people. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of my all-time favorite albums, with one of my all-time favorite bands. If it was lost or stolen, I'd deffinately buy it again. This album compares to many other rock greats, including The Beatles, The Who, Black Sabbath, and Pink Floyd. This is one of the essencial albums--a must have for any fan of rock; a must have for any fan of good music in that case. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2004

Sound: This would definitely have to be Zeppelins greatest, and I'm not just saying that because everyone else does. Led Zeppelin was completely original in there day and made some of the greatest albums ever recorded. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album definitely change song to song. Like on "Rock and Roll" Plant is talking about how it's been so long since he's rock n' rolled, then on the albums masterpeice "stairway to heaven" He wrote about a woman thinking she has bought a stairway to heaven. Anyway they all have different themes to them which makes a great album. // 8

Overall Impression: If you compare it to there other albums it sounds better, and even though the song selection is not as geat as the other ones, that just gave them more time to work on these 8. If it were stolen I would definitley buy it again, And I have. BUY THIS CD!!! // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 12, 2004

Sound: The sound is classic Led Zeppelin. It's got it's heavy moments, and it's lighter moments. But "Stairway to Heaven" blends those two elements perfectly. Anyway, it's a great sound that should not be missed. The guitar sounds Jimmy Page produces is incredible. "Black Dog" for example was him messing with the microphones. I believe on "When the Levee Breaks" John Bonham's drum sounds came from him sitting in a hallway with a microphone hanging down form the ceiling. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on all the songs differ, of course. "Black Dog" in Robert Plants words is "...blatant let's-do-it-in-the-bath-type thing...." "Rock-n-Roll" is just a salute to old time rock-n-roll, but it's effect is a good one(still can't get over that song being played on Cadillac commercials. Led Zeppelin+Cadillac=confusion.) "Battle of Evermore"(one of my faves) really makes you think about 1400 medieval battles, or just "Lord of the Rings." I'm not going to go through the whole album but I'll tell you they named the song "Four Sticks" becuase John Bonham played with four sticks on it and "Black Dog" is named that because a black dog walked in the studio when they were recording. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't really think this is the best Led Zeppelin album ever, but I'm not sure what is. My favorite songs on this album are "Battle of Evermore", "Black Dog", Stairway to Heaven (of Course)", "Misty Mountain Hop", well forget it, I like the whole album. I'd buy it again (in fact I don't own it, I borrowed it from a friend forever, guess I could go listen to my mom's record of it now). Go buy it if you're looking for something good. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 15, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is pure genius. Only the mighty Jimmy Page could create something this perfect. Not only is it one of the greatest albums of all time but it has the greatest song of all time. Every song is perfect and couldnt be better in every catergory. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also pure genius. Robert Plant makes every song sound extra good even though theyre already great. Stairway to Heaven is pure genius lyrically and musically along with the rest of the songs on the album. Robert Plant is a great frontman and one of the greatest rock singers of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall the greatest album from the greatest band ever is much better than 5 stars but deserves 5 extra for the making more classics in rock history. This album is even better than classics like: Back in Black, Dark Side of The Moon, Black Album (Metallica), Appetite for Destruction, Hell Freezes Over, L.A. Woman, Are You Experienced?, Alive!, and The Chronicles of Clapton put together. There is no match for Zeppelin IV. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2004

Sound: The sound was very creative and made it different from other albums, but I felt their was something missing from it. I prefer the sound from Led Zeppelin II, but the sound from this album was acceptable. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics were fantastic. It told a story instead of a repetitious verse. The lyrics blended in very well with the sound of the band, and again showed some creativity. // 10

Overall Impression: The true Led Zeppelin Fan would by this album, but if you are half/half on Led Zeppelin, it's probably not for you. Their only two great songs on Led Zeppelin III, so it might be one of the unfavorites. It's still better than Blink 182 or those other bands that sound all the same. // 8

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: Flying Pee, on august 16, 2004

Sound: I think the sond is ok. It sounds a bit "old". I'm making this review because I think all the others arent critical enough. I think many gives Led Zep 4 so high ratings is beacause it's Led Zeppelin. // 6

Lyrics: Anyone who rates Led Zep lyrics with the score 5 can't possibly have read any of James Hetfields lyrics. His lyrics are deep, they come straight from his heart and makes you think, while Zeppelin's lyrics are crap about drugs drinking and f--king (ok the Stairway To Heaven lyrics are amazing.) Like Black Dog (hey hey mama see the way move, gonna make you sweat gonna make you groove) or Misty Mountain Crap (they asked us to stay for tea and have some fun). The lyrics are so simple that even an untrained gorilla can understand them. The reason I rated the lyrics 2 and not 1 is because of stairway to heaven wich is a truly amazing song. // 4

Overall Impression: When I heared this album for the first time I was so disapointed that even Stairway To Heaven could fix that up. The reason they became so popular was because they were hippies that played pop music. You heared me pop music. how else could they sell 24 million albums. The reason they sold so much is only pure luck. They didn't sell 24 copies of Led Zep 4 because its good but because it was pop music just like Christinea Aguilera or Britney Spears. What if LZ started today? It's all about right time right place. // 4

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 21, 2004

Sound: The sound on this CD chronicles the greatness of the Fearsome Foursome, Page, Plant, Jones, and Bonham. The music falls in line with the general image of Led Zeppelin, although it created some vast new territory. It is one of their best sounding CDs, along with Led Zeppelin II. // 8

Lyrics: This album has some of the greatest lyrics ever put on paper. Stairway to Heaven and Battle of Evermore tell complete stories in less than 10 minutes. The lyrics match the accomanying music perfectly. Robert Plant is probably the greatest singer of all time because of his amazing ability to adapt to any style of music the band plays. // 10

Overall Impression: Led Zeppelin IV is the greatest rock album of all time, with the single greatest song ever written. Stairway To Heaven, Rock And Roll, and Black Dog are the greatest achievements on this great album. I love everything about it. The songs never get boring. If it was stolen, I would buy it again that day. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2005

Sound: The reason I wrote this review is because I noticed an overall 4.5 rating on here for this album. This is the greatest hard rock album ever. Period. It deserves a 5 out of 5 for every reason. Jimmy Page is one of the greatest guitarists ever. His riffs and licks are incredible, and his solo for Zeppelin's biggest song, Stairway To Heaven, is still considered the best of all time. The riffs for Black Dog and Rock And Roll are also great. When The Levee Breaks is another highlight of the album. Stairway is still the best song on the record though. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics kick ass too. Robert Plant's lyrics on Stairway To Heaven are the most deep lyrics I've ever heard. He also provides good lyrics for the rest of the tracks. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best hard rock album ever (along with Guns N' Roses' Appetite For Destruction and a few others). Anybody should be able to appreciate the great music on this record. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 16, 2005

Sound: The sound is amazing. John Bonhams drums on When The Levee Breaks sound so distant and like their missing something but they have everything. The tones on the album ares sick. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are genius. Stairway To Heaven has the best lyrics ever written. They are so deep and mean something unlike all the punk and death and emo crap today. Robert Plant is probably the second best rock and roll singer ever (right behind Steven Tyler). // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best Led Zeppelin album. Though all their albums are awesome, this is the climax of their musical genius. The best song is buy far Stairway To Heaven. It is, was, and will be forever the greatest song ever. I love everything about this album. If it were ever stolen or lost I would cry anmd then I would go buy another one. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2005

Sound: Led Zeppelin has never been matched in their heavy metal/blues rock sound, and this album may very well be the reason why. From blues inspired banshee wailings of Robert Plant and one of the stable guitar riff on the first track, Black Dog, all the way down to deep tones of When The Levee Breaks. This album's sounds vary from some of the heaviest beats, riffs, and vocal sounds ever heard in the decade, and frankly since then, to folk-ish and docile. Jimmy Page and his Les Paul (among other Gibsons) created some of the greatest guitar riffs in history on this album, always supported by John Paul Jones's bass playing. John Bonham (Bonzo) was responsible for the heavy background beat, always a huge part of the sound, and of course they were all fronted by Robert Plant, who just wrenched those words out to contend with the best. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were putting down tolken blues lyrics, and I love that, but to be honest I do think they could have been better, but I'm comparing the lyrics to the rest of the music surrounding them; which was utterly impressive, to say the least. While lyrically, Stairway to Heaven is a shining gem of the album and of music in general, the other lyrics just seem to be overshadowed by the way their being delivered (which, if there is a definitive 'way', they are being delivered in one of the best) and by the riffs and beats backing them. That's not a bad thing at all for the overall song, but it just makes the lyrics shine a little bit less. I think Plant and Page would be hard pressed to match the excellence of the music to the skill at which they would be sung, or shrieked, and surrounded with by guitar, bass, and drums. Despite any of that though, Robert Plant is possibly my favourite frontman and singer ever. He just seems to bring those words right up from his soul, defining soulful. He's capable of tones to the lowest low and highest high, at any volume. He also just has a charisma about him. Though, everyone in Led Zep did. You can just tell he knows he's good (if not amazing) along with everyone else in the band. // 8

Overall Impression: For as heavy as Led Zep was? I don't think you can compare any other albums to this album. The only comparison I see in that department, is Led Zeppelin I. But, for being possibly the definitive album of a band. I think you can easily compare it to Pink Floyd's masterpeice, Dark Side Of The Moon. While two entirely different album's, their epic-ness is the stuff of legend. I, personally liking and thinking of Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as equals, have often tried to compare the two, and cannot. Other than DSOTM, I think that within reason, ZoSo is unequalled. In my opinion, the most impressive songs on the album are the first and last, Black Dog and When The Levee Breaks. Black Dog is just ever-moving and switching between Plants soulful vocals, and the thunderous sounds of the rest of the band, lead by Jimmy Page's legendary riff. The solo should also be considered a crowning acheivement of Page. When the Levee Breaks just exudes heavyness, and power. If you were two split the album in two, between the 'styles of songs', Levee is the heavy version of Stairway to Heaven. Stairway To Heaven is by far the most impressive song, but that is outside of my opinion. While hypocritical, I admit that it may be one of the best songs ever written or played. But it just doesn't appeal to me musically as other songs on the album. I love just about everything on the album, I don't think I need to go in to specifics, it's only my opinions, which I've given plenty of already. The only thing I dislike isn't the fault of Led Zeppelin, it's just a selfish dislike; I think Stairway To Heaven isn't nearly as good as Battle of Evermore, which is definately one of my top favourites of Led Zep, but when I really compare the two seriously, Stairway still wins out. I just personally don't like that, so I'm just weird. If it were stolen I would track it down and beat the person who stole it, I love my copy that much. Though, I would probably end up in a discussion about the album with the theif, because he obviously has good taste in music. If it were lost, I never intend on loosing it. Trust me. Yes, buy it, and listen to it at great length! // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on march 01, 2006

Sound: "Led Zeppelin IV," "Zoso," "Runes," "Four Symbols" call it what you wish. It won't change the fact that it was one of the most important albums of the 1970's, and ultimately one of the most important albums in all of rock music. I didn't say the best, I just said most important. In case you haven't read any of my other reviews, I'm one of those fans that favor the band's later albums. "Physical Graffiti" and "In Through The Out Door" are my two favorite Zeppelin albums, and no matter how great you tell me IV is, I'm not changing my mind. I'll admit that IV meant more to the music world (I won't argue that at all), but in my opinion it can't measure up to the band's later material. IV still has a lot to offer, though, and still manages to be an astounding album. Containing probably some of the band's biggest hits, IV warps the band's sound back around to a more enjoyable level than III. Don't get me wrong, III was a good album too, but with IV they tried to sound a bit more like II, which was another Zeppelin masterpiece. I know, it's a lot of roman numerals to keep track of, but hopefully if you're a fan enough you'll at least halfway understand. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album is a quantum leap from III. Not to put down III's lyrics or anything, but with IV, the band started to draw in a bit more outside influence than before. The album shows the band members' interests towards Tolkien's "Lord Of The Rings" novels ("The Battle Of Evermore," "Stairway To Heaven"), a concept that the band would come back to time and time again in subsequent releases. Though the album contains some unnecessary and rather annoying rock cliches ("Black Dog" about a woman, "Rock And Roll" about, well, take a wild guess), the lyrics are still enjoyable and, for the most part, consistent, so I don't have any really major complaints in the lyric department. But the band no doubt tried harder lyrically in later albums. // 8

Overall Impression: On the whole, this album is a great one for fans who are just getting into Zeppelin. It's easily their most accessible album, containing no doubt their most famous hits. It's no wonder why it's their best-selling album. As far as the first four Zeppelin albums go, the only one that I feel beats IV out would be II, and it's really not by a whole lot. If you don't have Zep IV already, chances are you don't have any of the other band's material, and it's a high recommendation from me to get you started on the band. I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't own it, but hey, fans gotta start somewhere, right? // 9

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: metalhed94, on november 24, 2006

Sound: First off, I have to say that zeppelin is the greatest. The sound ranges from crushing blues-metal to soft and mysterious. The greatest track on the album is, of course, stairway to heaven. it's tempo ranges from slow and mystical to a full on rocker. Jimmy's solo is one of the best ever. Another masterpiece is Black Dog. Any body who hears this song will have that opening "hey, hey, mama, said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove" stuck in their head for a while. Rock and Roll is a classic with a magnificient guitar riff. When the Levee breaks is possibly the best blues-rock song ever, and if you are looking for Bonham's greatest work on drums, look no furthter, because hear it is. Easily the least known song on the album is Four Sticks, which has a simple, but pretty cool guitar riff. Misty Mountain Hop is a pop-ish song with a simple riff and a feel-good atmosphere to it. Going to California and Battle of Evermore are both very mystical and haunting songs that showcase acoustics and mandolins. All in all, this album has a little of everything. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant is the greatest of all time. That's pretty simple. The album, like I said before, has a bit of everything. The lyrics go from straightford hard rock stuff like on Black Dog to mystical and haunting things such as on Stairway To Heaven. Jimmy Page is probably just as good a lyricist as he is a guitarist, if that puts things into perspective. Robert Plant is often criticized about his voice, but at the same time, no one else could do these songs nearly as well as he, so stop and thing before you start to talk. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the greatest album ever, and if you need proof, check out Stairway. But what makes this such a great album is that it has a little blues, a little rock, and a little folk, all Led Zeppelin. If I ever lost this, I'd buy it back in a heartbeat, and if you don't have this yet, buy it now! // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: woodlandsclose, on march 01, 2007

Sound: 01. Black Dog - this track is truly amazing. With it's staggering riffs and Robert Plant's singing I think tihs has to be one or even the best Led Zeppelin track of all time. 02. Rock And Roll - it's not as good as Black Dog but that doesn't mean that I don't like it!! Rock and Roll has it's own little bits that stand out and that's enough to say. 03. The Battle Of Evermore - Robert Plant's duet here really fits in well with the style of the CD. Both of them go extremely well together and that shows that Robert can adapt to any stle of singing and that is why he is so good. 04. Stairway To Heaven - a great acoustic bit at the start. I really enjoyed this song the first time I heard it and it has worn off a tiny bit. I can understand those who may not agree with me here but I hope you understand that I'm not saying I don't like the track. It is certainly one of the best Zeppelin tracks ever but if you hear it too many times it can wear off. 05. Misty Mountain Top - there's a great riff at the beginning of this song. It's done in a rather odd rhythm but it all fits together well. The keyboard is a great addition to this song s well. Another fantastic song. 06. Four Sticks - it's kind of a bit weird and not very well known. I don't know it as well as the other tracks on this album but it's still a good song. 07. Going To California - Jimmy Page is great with the beginning of this. It's a rather slow song compared to the others and sone people might not enjoy it as much because of the slow acoustic pace but I personally like it. 08. When The Levee Braeks - a personal favourite of mine. I love the drum beat at the start. Jimmy Page's guitar is fantastic as well. I really enjoyed Robert Plant's harmonica solo in this song. It doesn't really sound like Zeppelin during that bit! It may be the last song on the album but it's certainly not the least. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are beast!! Robert Plant's singing is truly amazing. He is really amazing during the duet in The Battle of Evermore. Some of the lyrics don't make perfect sense but you can excuse that. In Black Dog, Robert Plant sings 'till he bursts. That has to be his personal best from this CD. I'm not discounting Jimmy Page. He is truly awesome throughout the whole thing not just with his singing but with his mint guitar riffs as well. I also like Metallica. James Hetfield I thought, before I bought this album, was the best writer of lyrics but I have been proved wrong by Robert Plant. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm not sure if this is their best ever album because I would be forgetting about all of the other classics. Black Dog is really cool. I wish I was able to write riffs like that one! Stairway to Heaven. What can I say. As I said it has worn off on me a little but if you haven't heard it them you really should! It's a cracking acoustic song and even if you don't like the idea of heavy rocking Led Zeppelin then even you will like this track! I really love all of the riffs in this song whether it's the acoustic ones or the electric ones. Zeppelin have to be the best riff writers in the world ever. I would recommend this album to anyone and if they have to hear a CD before they die it has to be this one. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: pinkxfloydx123, on july 18, 2007

Sound: Led Zeppelin reaches the pinnicle of there histroy with the album Led Zeppelin IV. This 8 song album has every thing from slow balads like "Going to California" to fast hits like "Black Dog". The bass lines matched perfectly to all the guitar riffs and the vocals complemented the overall sound of there music. Also the cover of this album gave it an old, classic feel even before you opened the case. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album were arguably the greatest in the history of music. They interlinked J.R.R. Tolkeins "Lord of the Rings" trilogy with their hits "Stairway to Heaven", "Mist Mountain Hop", and "The Battle of Evermore". The song "Stairway to Heaven" told of journeying along the road of life when "our shadows taller than our souls". Where as the "Battle of Evermore" told the tale of the battle of Minis Tirith. The lyrics were comparative to those of the great lyricist Bob Dylan. Then on the other hand there are feel good songs like "Black Dog" with it's great guitar riffs and "Rock and Roll" with it's blues-y feel. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of my all time favorite albums of history. I love every song on this album with the exception of "When the Levee Breaks" which I found to be kinda a filler. The songs "Rock and Roll", "Black Dog", and "Stairway to Heaven" are some of the greatest rock classics of all time. If this album were stolen/lost I would probably hunt down the loser who did it then buy a new one. // 9

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: Qasur, on july 19, 2007

Sound: Led Zeppelin's sound is very amazing from track to track. They take the styles of folk, jazz, and blues and then turn it into rock with an electric guitar. Notably on Stairway to Heaven and Going to California, you can see the slower side of Page, but still musically ingenious. One thing to note is how well Black Dog and When the Levee Breaks were covered, as Black Dog was unique in that it was new lyrically, but the chords were used from another blues song. When the Levee Breaks is a McCoy and Minnie cover, or "rearrangement" with some new lyrical material and unique melody recreation from Page. No matter, Page is an amazing guitarist, easily one of the top 10 of all time. Rock and Roll and Black Dog just jam with catchy chords progressions that just hook you. Very fun to listen to as much of Zeppelin's work is like this, which is one reason of many why they are rock legends. Misty Mountain Hop is just very unique in that it shows a different side of Led Zeppelin that you see every now and then. It's songs like this and Courelselambra that just make you wonder who you're listening too. It shows that even true and tride techniques for song writing can change, and that bands can adapt and create new styles musically without having to write entirely new albums to prove it (like many newer artists). John's drums are near perfect, and when he passes, it's understandable why they broke up. He was an amazing drummer, and one of the best drummers ever, easily matching notes and beats, or just keeping the estranged beats in some of these songs. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant has a way with lyrics that not many lead singers can do. He just writes these odd phrases down and matches them in way to the music that you just understand the point that he's trying to make. Many people say that his lyrics written down are "not complete" or "mysterious", but that's the beauty of it, lyrics are like poems: you the listener find your own meaning from them. That alone makes his lyrics simply amazing. On When the Levee Breaks, he reorders the original lyrics, and then adds some of his own to recreate the song in his own fashion (making it an amazing hit). Even each verse, Plant's vocals were processed differently, adding phasing here and there, great song. Mysterious lyrics, with key lines and phrases sang and key points in the verses or chorus to identify main themes from each song, Plant just proves that he is a master lyricist. // 10

Overall Impression: Led Zepplin IV, or ZOSO by most fans, is just an over-all powerhouse of classic rock. Musically in general, it just shows how a group of very talented musicians can come together and create an album of perfection. I would not rate this album all 10s, as I feel that a bands last album can only ever be rated a 10 (as you have to compare it to everything before it, and possible everything to come after it) but it does achieve a high score for it's near-perfection. It's hard to compare Led Zeppelin to many other artists or albums as they were very unique in their style. Mostly just the idea of turning blues and folk music into heavy rock with powerful ballad-like lyrics, just being followed up by pounded-out drums in a rhythmic and melodical fashion as them, it's just music to your ears. // 9

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: Dragforce92, on august 18, 2007

Sound: After hearing this album. I instantly claimed Led Zeppelin as the best band ever. There is no doubt that this is the best album by Led Zeppelin, it has nothing but classic songs. It starts with the famous Black Dog, to the amazing Rock and Roll. The most well known song of all time Stairway to Heaven is #4 on the album. Another song that is very big is Going To California, with it's softer more folkish sound. This album has a '70s metal sound to it and it is the best genre of music in my opinion. It has the Guitar styles played by the most amazing Jimmy Page. Vocals by Robert Plant. Bass by John Paul Jones. And the drums performed very well by John Bonham. Every song is on this album is a song everybody wants to play on their own instruments. It Is Known as the best album of the 70's and for a good reason. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were great but it could have been better for a few songs. Stairway To Heaven is my favorite song ever but, the lyrics don't completely make sense. But overall it's not only about the lyrics, it's about the song all together. Robert Plant is a unique singer but not the best. He is a little high pitched but not too high (Perry Farrel). // 7

Overall Impression: This album is a must for anybody who seriously likes music. It s a classic and it makes you just feel good about anything. It is a very unique album that will never be topped in the record book of greatest albums. If I lost it I would buy it over and over again. It's happened once before, and then I found it again. But Now I have 2 of them and I don't care. I wouldn't give either one away. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: (...), on september 03, 2007

Sound: First off, I would like to say this album's music is written very well. Many guitar layers add to the listening experience. The acoustic sound is great, but the electric sound can leave a little to be desired. The bass sounds good, yet can drift in and out of the mix. The bass playing isn't truly amazing either but it gets the job done. I would have to say the same thing about the drums; they aren't flashy but do their job wonderfully. The supportive rhythm section adds to Zeppelin's guitar centered sound. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics on this album are top notch. They tell a story with a hint of mysticism. Plant (which wrote a good amount of the lyrics along with Paige) is a great vocalist. On the more bluesy songs, he can change his voice to more of a moan, while on other songs, his voice is strong and powerful. This adds greatly to the emotion in the song. I love how the guitar accents the vocals every once in a while. The guest singer that appears on one of the songs is good also. No weak points in this section at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I would consider this album one of the best of the '70s. Of course it includes the legendary classic, "Stairway to Heaven." This is not the only reason to buy the album, however. "Battle of Evermore," "Rock and Roll," and "When the Levee Breaks" are all great songs. My personal favorite would have to be "Going to California." A ton of emotion in that song. The weak point to me would have to be "Four Sticks." There's just something I don't like about that song. Zeppelin IV is defiantly a must have in any type of music lovers collection, for it has so much variety. One second you are listening to a heavy song, then a very emotional acoustic tune, and then a true blues masterpiece. That's what makes it so good. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: The*Reaper, on january 05, 2008

Sound: I'm not that good at writing reviews I just thought I'd write a good one after Flying Piss's piece of shit. The sound of IV is phenomenal it was written when Led Zeppelin were at their finest. Jimmy Page shows excellent guitar work in Black Dog and Stairway To Heaven. Robert Plant really adds to the CD with the harmonica solo in When The Levee Breaks. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant always writes good lyrics for his songs. The lyrics to Black Dog "Hey hey mama the way you move" are fantastic. They fit in perfectly with the guitar. Starting with IV Plant really starts to refine his voice and sings at his best. Robert Plant has one of the best voices of any singer. // 10

Overall Impression: IV is one of the greatest CD's of all time and is one of Led Zeppelin's finest. Led Zeppelin didn't publicize much and they usually did not do interviews with reporters. The only reason they became known world wide is their great talent and master pieces like IV. Any Led Zeppelin fan should have IV in their collection. If someone stole my CD instead of Seeking revenge on him I would hunt down Flying Piss and steal his copy because a faggot like him does not deserve to own a masterpiece like IV. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on june 12, 2008

Sound: There is quite a few acoustic songs on this album. They're really good songs and Jimmy Page plays very well. Actually, everyone plays very well. There's only 2 songs where it starts with electric guitar: Black Dog and Rock and Roll - both are Led Zeppelin classics. Led Zeppelin IV's acoustic songs are quite epic, like When the Levee Breaks and Stairway to Heaven. A great sounding album with complex acoustic guitar riffs! // 9

Lyrics: Stairway to Heaven has some of the most recognizable lyrics of all time! And who doesn't love them? They're great. Other songs that I like the lyrics are Black Dog and Rock and Roll. As I read somewhere, one of the lyrical weaknesses is that there's a bunch about weird fantasy themes. Overall the lyrics are a bit weird, but still cool. // 7

Overall Impression: This is my favourite Zeppelin album. It's got pretty much their 3 most known songs: Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog and Rock and Roll. Definately one of my top 10 albums of the 70s. How can an album with Stairway not be great? 36 years later and it's still being played and it's known! I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan so I would surely go buy this again if it went missing. // 9

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 24, 2008

Sound: The sound on this album is proof that Led Zeppelin is not only the greatest heavy band of all time, but that they were the only band to really ever understand the concept of heavy music. Led Zeppelin shows hear on songs like "When The Levee Breaks" and "Stairway to Heaven" that the heaviness of a song comes from the energy generated by the song, not how loud it is. When the energy peaks at the chorus of "When the Levee Breaks" and then drops back into a riff with a reversed harmonica that sounds like one of the battle horns in "Lord of the Rings", one can't help but laugh at how hopelessly pathetic every other metal/emo bands concept of heavy music is. Equally impressive as the heaviness of the music is the variety on this album. Every song is completley different than the others, with sounds ranging from straight Zeppelin metal(Black Dog), to an acoustic piece that conveys the sound of 1800s california frontier travel(Going to California). The influence of this album is incalculable, Stairway to Heaven redefined what a rock song was and showed that it didn't have to be constant loud drums and guitar distortion to be rock, though no one has still really been able to grasp that concept even 30 years later. When the levee breaks was recorded in a long stairway to acheive maximum reverb/echo on the drums, and that drum beat is one of the most famous of all time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are absolutely masterful, Plant touches the poetic level of Morrison and Dylan on Stairway to Heaven, and the more rocking pieces like Black Dog have perfect sex-ridden lyrics to complement the sound of the band. Plants singing is superb and is easily his best of all time on When the Levee Breaks, also he is able to easily hold up singing al coppelo on Black Dog, a testament to his skill as a singer. // 10

Overall Impression: Everyone has their favorite Zeppelin album so it's hard to say if this is the best, it certainly contains their greatest acheivements "Stairway to Heaven and When the Levee Breaks", and is certainly the greatest variety of sound on any of their albums. I still listen to some of these songs everyday, I would buy it for sure if I lost it. The best thing about the album is that it's a rock band who knows their making some of the greatest rock music of all time, but they deliver it in such a way that the music still comes off as being purely for the audience, purely for your own listening pleasure, and even some hope for those with lives full of trouble and trauma, and not at all self-indulgent like their contemporaries Van Halen and Metallica. It is, in every sense of the word "art" while still being just great party/dance/good time rock and roll. // 10

Led Zeppelin IV Reviewed by: Jaded7, on april 07, 2010

Sound: Few other bands set rock n' roll standards as high as Led Zeppelin did. Their first two albums, considered by many to be some of the greatest rock n' roll albums of all time, helped make rock music harder and heavier. Then you had Led Zeppelin III, which combined their bluesy hard rock sound with a more experimental sound. While it wasn't considered a classic when it was first released, time has definitely been kind to it and is now regarded as one of their best works. And then, about a year after III was released, the great and almighty Zeppelin gave us their fourth album; some call it "their fourth album and that's it", the "four symbols" album, or just "Led Zeppelin IV". However, the album also bears a title that most Zeppelin fan will nod their in agreement: their best work. If I could end this portion of my review with "Stairway To Heaven", I definitely could. It is truly one of the greatest songs ever created; soft folk-inspired guitar work that eventually progresses with a loud, catchy rock n' roll melody that only Zeppelin could perfect. In fact, most of the album is like that. The sound ranges from soft folk songs like "Going To California" and "Battle Of Evermore" to good ol' fashioned rock n' roll songs like "Black Dog" and "Rock & Roll". All of this shows that Zeppelin grew and matured as a band since their previous couple of albums; no longer are we just hearing blues-rock songs about women and sex, but we're also hearing the more beautiful side of rock n' roll filled with fantasy and love balanced with cigarette lighter-waving melodies. // 10

Lyrics: Once again, if I could get away with just writing "Stairway To Heaven", I would. Both the lyrics and singing just work so well together. The lyrics to "Stairway To Heaven" bring a tear to one eye while Robert Plant's vocals bring a tear to another. No surprise here, but Robert Plant's lyrics and vocals actually work on every single song on here so well that it almost hurts. They are playful and wild in songs like "Black Dog" and "Rock And Roll" while being soft and majestic in songs like "Stairway To Heaven" and "Going To California". Sometimes it's a combination of both, like it is in "Misty Mountain Hop". Either way you look at it, the vocals are great to listen to and the lyrics are interesting to read. // 9

Overall Impression: Most music critics wouldn't dare to put Led Zeppelin IV among The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club" or the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds", especially on a Top Twenty Greatest Albums List. While I will admit that Led Zeppelin IV is not the greatest album of all time, it definitely ranks among them. It was relevant when it first came out and it has remained relevant throughout the years...and will remain relevant for years to come. // 10

More Led Zeppelin reviews rating latest review