Physical Graffiti Review

artist: led zeppelin date: 07/21/2006 category: compact discs
led zeppelin: Physical Graffiti
Released: Feb 24, 1975
Genre: Rock
Styles: British Blues, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, British Metal, Album Rock
Even at its worst, Physical Graffiti towers above its hard rock peers of the mid-'70s.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 29, 2005

Sound: If you are looking for a good Zeppelin album you cant go wrong with Physical Graffiti. The First disc is pure genious and is the better known disc, with such hits as Houses of the Holy, Trampled underfoot and Kashmir. And the 2nd disc is just as good with incredible songs like, In The light, Down By The Seaside, Ten Years Gone and Night Flight. But of course just as every Zeppelin album all of the songs are great and worth a listen. The sound is top notch. You feel Page's powerful riffs and solos, the pounding drums, basslines, and of course Plant's wonderful vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are honestly some of the best Plant has done. My favorite lyrictracks are, The Rover, In My Time Of Dying, In The Light, Kashmir, and Ten Years Gone. Those are also the songs where Plant shines on vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a classic and if your a true Zeppelin fan you can really appreciate it as a whole and the work that was put into it. I don't know if this is the best place to start if your getting into them but I do Know that you wont want to miss it. I don't hate anything about it. And I would no doubt buy it again if I lost it. It is just meant to be in every rock cd collection. My favorite tracks are The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, Kashmir, In The Light, Bron-Y-Aur, Night Flight, and Sick Again. But my favorite is The Rover. That track will blow you away it is unbelievable. // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: Zoso12, on february 13, 2006

Sound: This is a must-have Led Zeppelin album. The ground breaking, double disk album Physical Graffiti is one of the greatest works of musical genius ever written. First off the music and songs all together. Disk one: 01. Custard Pie - This song starts off with a distoreted quite, swift riff in the back, which is then later complemented by a cool sounding clavichord riff. It's got a blues-y type rhythm to it, not the most intresting song, but a good one non-the-less. 02. The Rover - another just 'ok' songs, not monumental, it's catchy, and has intresting guitar tones, but nothing too special. 03. In My Time Of Dying - this song starts out with an ideal slide guitar riff. It's the most catchy sounding slide I think that has been written, it's very dark sounding and from there evolves into a whole song, and from that it goes to an entire new sound. A very memorable song, and very neat sounding. 04. Houses Of The Holy - a pounding guitar beat bursts out in the intro, the guitar has a very recognizable tone. It sounds very, metalic, and different. It has a much more upbeat rhythm than In My Time Of Dying, which gives the album a good overall effect. 05. Trampled Underfoot - undoubtably one of the greatest, most recognizable Led Zeppelin songs written. John Paul Jones pounds out this heavy rhythm, which is followed by the hammering drums of John Bonham. This is an absolutly great song. You'll be humming the Talkin' 'Bout Love lyrics all day. One of the most intresting clavichord rhythms out there. 06. Kashmir - and then there was one, the last song of the disk. Without doubt the most recognizable songs ever written by Led Zeppelin. It starts out with a liquidy, monotonous beat that envelopes the whole song. It has a very dark sound to it, and it works wonderfully. A perfect way to end disk one. Disk two: 01. In The Light - this is one of my favorite songs. It starts the album out quiet, with a strange sounding keyboard synth intro. It also starts out very dark, and has an eerie tone to it, especially the sound of Roberts voice. After a while it changes to a new rythym, then after that it goes to a lighter sounding scale-type section. I really like the keyboard part during this section. 02. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - this is a great song. An extremely over looked song. This will definatly turn off all the 'hard rock' purists, becuase it is folk sounding guitar song. Its an amazing acoustic song, and the catchy drum beat is a great accent to it. Robert has great lyrics as well. 03. Down By The Seaside - this is one of my newly found favorites. It took me a while to realize the true greatness of this song. After a while it has really grown on me. The guitar tone for the chorus is unforgetable! It's kind of a strange tone, but it's a great song. A must have, and overlooked great. 04. Ten Years Gone - up until now I've said great stuff about almost every song, but this is serious, this is the greatest Led Zeppelin song ever. In my book at least, I'd say it surpasses Stairway To Heaven. It starts out with a quiet, clean, guitar part. It then goes thru a series of chord changes and gets to my favorite riff of all time. It fits so well, but dosn't match. Its a great song, with superb lyrics. I could talk forever about this song, but it would take too long. 05. Nigh Flight - a overlooked song, but very good. It's got a cool sound to it and a nice beat. I don't have much to say, but it's a good accent to the entire album. 06. Wanton Song - another 'ok' song. It's got the same type of feeling as Custard Pie. Robert's voice sounds very intresting as well. Almost like hes forcing it, but you can tell he dosn't have to. A song worth listening to but, is beat out by many other greats. 07. Boogie With Stu - I really like this song. It's not a normal Led Zeppelin song, but it's really great. It might also turn off the hard rock purists like Bron-Y-Aur. It's got a honkey tonk, blusey feel to it and its just a great song all together. Another overlooked ground breaker. 08. Black Country Woman - this song features mainly mandolin, and maybe some 12 string guitar. It features the lyric 'Hey hey mama, what's the matter here?' over and over and it's pretty catchy. A pretty good song, and another great addition to Physical Graffiti as an album. 09. Sick Again - this is another 'good' song. But amongst the greats, it pales in comparison. I don't think this is the best way to end the album. But it is a good song non-the-less. // 10

Lyrics: Thru ought the entire album, the lyrics never cease to amaze. Not only are the lyrics great, and meaningful, but they are sung with great skill by Robert Plant. Although, this album shows the start of his decreasing power in his voice, its still greater then most normal people would hope to achive. I especially admire the lyrics in Ten Years Gone. Very nice. Also the eerie tones of Robert Plants voice in In The Light and Kashmir are very well matched to the song. The lyrics are superb. // 9

Overall Impression: This could be considered the definitve led Zeppelin album. It's a must have, it could equally fight against Led Zeppelin IV (Zoso). I've made clear in the section above what my favorite song from the album are, but to go over them again Ten Years Gone, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir, Bron-y-aur Stomp, and In The Light. These are some of the greatest songs to grace the world. All of them are very well orchestrated, and has some of the most memorable songs ever to be written. It is the must have of Led Zeppelin. If I lost it would by it again, then by another copy, just in case it got stollen again. Thank you for listening. // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2005

Sound: The sound in any Led Zeppelin album is always crisp and very well produced. This album is no exception. Physical Graffiti is a monumental moment in the career of Led Zeppelin. The song that defined the band to its members, "Kashmir," is on this album. The album has two discs. In my opinion, the first disc is better. Physical Graffiti disc 1 is one of the best rock CDs ever made. "Houses Of The Holy," "In My Time Of Dying" and "Kashmir" are true rock classics. Jimmy Page is stellar as always. John Paul Jones provides excellent bass to accompany Page. John Bonham lives up to his reputation as the greatest drummer of all time. Robert Plant shows why he is a skillful singer again. Physical Graffiti is another landmark album in the career of the hard rock pioneers. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Plant and Jimmy Page again prove that they are one of the greatest song writing teams of all time. Unfortunately, after "Ten Years Gone" on disc 2, the quality of lyrics slips a bit, but the level remains high. Led Zeppelin's lyrics have always been good, in my opinion. Robert Plant has an ability to write lyrics that comply well with the music devised by Page and the others. // 10

Overall Impression: Physical Graffiti is not the greatest of the Led Zeppelin albums, but it is definitely in the top half. "Houses Of The Holy," "Kashmir" and "Ten Years Gone" show that the Zep is not on a crash course, but is still flying high. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: fingersofflame, on march 11, 2006

Sound: This may be one of Led Zeppelin's best albums yet. There are many memorable songs thanks to the many different styles used on this epic album. From the arabic style of Kashmir to the hard rock that we have come to know and love in the song Custard Pie, one of my personal favorites. Overall, the sound on this album is great, but then again this is Led Zeppelin we are talking about here. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics for Led Zeppelin songs have had this captivating essence to them that keeps you listening for more, and Physical Graffiti is no exception. Another thing that I liked about this album is that the words seem to really go with the music, like in the song Ten Years Gone, which is a more mellow song, and the guitar follows suit, but just as the lyrics pick up in theme and pace, the guitar yet again keeps up. Songs like Ten Years Gone and Night Flight make the lyrics and music on this album flow as one and really make this album a memorable one. // 9

Overall Impression: After listening to Physical Graffiti I was pretty stunned. My favorite songs on this album would have to be Ten Years Gone and Custard Pie, however there are a few that I don't really care for. Like "Boogie With Stue" and Black Country Woman. Overall this album is definitely worth buying, just like all of Led Zeppelins material. Hope that this review helped you, and enjoy Physical Graffiti! // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: Faydock, on november 14, 2005

Sound: Alright, first of all, I have got to say I am a huuge Led Zeppelin fan. I have the entire studio collection and now working on the live albums. Out of all their albums, I have got to say by far, this is the best Led Zeppelin CD I have ever bought. When Physical Graffiti was released, all 5 of their previous albums re-entered the charts. They were the first band to have 6 albums chart at once. Now, I don't know about you, but that tells me something. After their previous albums were starting to get dull, and more folk-sounding, this album was able to lift them up and show the fans that these guys can really rock out, Plant's beautiful lyrics, Page's heavy riffs, Bonham's intense pounding, and Jones' rolling bass parts, this is the definite album. // 10

Lyrics: Plant's Kashmir lyrics are one of the best lyrics and singing I have ever heard, he fits these lyrics so perfectly with the rest of the band it's as if they're all connected as one. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the greatest album I have out of Zeppelin, and every other band's albums I have. The intense Kashmir, the all-guitar Bron-Yr-Aur, the long In My Time Of Dying, the building up of Down By The Seaside, this is just a sample of the 15 amazing songs on this double album. I would undoubtedly definitely re-buy this album if it were stolen or mis-placed. // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: Da Jerk, on december 19, 2005

Sound: Physical Graffiti is described by many fans as the ultimate Zeppelin album, where the band sticks to their roots in heavy blues and folk, and at the same time stretches out to new horizons. Fans of Black Dog and Whole Lotta Love will enjoy heavier songs like Custard Pie, The Rover and Sick Again while those who enjoy their acoustic songs will like Black Country Woman and the country-influenced Down By The Seaside. This double album also includes Zeppelin's greatest attempt at a funk song, Trampled Under Foot, and the Eastern epic Kashmir, complete with a dramatic string arrangement and steady booming drums. While some of the songs aren't as polished as those on previous albums, the variety of styles the band attempted cannot be denied. // 10

Lyrics: Some of Zeppelin's best lyrics are found here. Robert Plant has managed to paint wonderful images with his lyrics (such as Kashmir), tell moving tales of a past love (Ten Years Gone) and still keep a sense of humor (Black Country Woman). At this point he had fully tapped into his creative side, but still had a humorous side to his lyrics, and his lyrics still made sense to the average listener. // 10

Overall Impression: While this is one of Zeppelin's best albums, I probably wouldn't recommend it as the first Zep album to listen to. While many of their best tracks are found here, there are also quite a few songs that could be considered filler. Despite this, it's a great place to find Zeppelin at their experimental and creative peak, and is recommended for any classic rock fan. // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2005

Sound: Well this is not overrated ok. This album is awesome, it has great mixture of all Zeppelin highlights and I no a lot of people arent fascinated by the solo in Heartbreaker (on guitar) and Moby Dick (on drums) but if you don't play the instruments you can't appreciate the sound also I can't forget the catchy bass riff in Ramble On (one of my favourites). This is an awesome album by Zeppelin and it a must have of Zeppelin. // 10

Lyrics: I'm a guitarist and I dont pay too much attention to the lyrics but when I do it hits me hard. This album has awesome lyrics but obviously dont compare to houses of the holy, and IV (untitled) and it is quite noticable that Plant is still early in his songwriting on The Lemon Song. Still Thank You was stuck in my head for at least a couple months. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my all-time favourite Zeppelin ablum and it is everything I could want from Zeppelin in one album. This album got me to start guitar which has changed my life. It is a great album for starter guitarists to learn riffs from Heartbreaker, Livin' Lovin' Maid, and Bring it on Home. This has a couple of my favourite Zep tunes so I would recommend this to anyone, even if they dont even like rock or blues. If I could bring 3 things on a island this album would definatly be one of them. This is a must have for any Led Head out there or if anyone wants to start to get into Zeppelin I recommend this album because it is easier on the ear, to pick up all the riffs on all the instruments then in IV which is a more complexed and has only one song with a catchy riff (Black Dog). This album has catchy riffs, lyrics and solos which will be stuck in your head for a while. // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Led Zeppelin, like the Beatles, had a fondness for wonderfully schizophrenic double albums. This is their White Album, and it is a pleasure from start to finish. From the opener to the finish, this switches musical moods almost (but not quite) as much as the fabled white album itself. It explores eastern beats in 'Kashmir', cheerfully rips off Stevie Wonder and Robert Johnson at the same time in 'Trampled Underfoot', and does blues ramblin' like your mama used to make in 'Black Country Woman'. Led Zeppelin as usual sound astounding throughout. // 10

Lyrics: Led Zeppelin had reached their lyrical peak at this point, so the lyrics are obviously going to be awesome. From painting surrealistic pictures in 'Kashmir', to trippy mysticism 'In The Light' & 'In My Time of Dying', and heartfelt yearning in 'Ten Years Gone.' Robert Plants vocal range is among the best of any male singer ever, and it shows. The lyric 'Everything as it was, then again it will be/Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea' from Ten Years Gone shows just how much they had matured lyrically. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the fans Led Zepp album, and their last truly great one. It's awesome in every respect, and probably their best. It contains only one weak moment 'Boogie With Stu' (annoying drum riff), but apart from that it's near perfect. Buy it now. // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on february 21, 2006

Sound: Some Zeppelin fans are more fond of the older days, the first four albums. These fans will tell you that those albums have a rougher edge, are more rock-oriented, and have more powerful tracks. This, in my opinion, is completely wrong. Though many of the band's most popular hits are from the '68-'71 era, there's no doubt in my mind that within the subsequent years, Zeppelin expanded their horizons and ultimately improved their music greatly. With 1973 came "Houses Of The Holy," which, though it was released only 2 years after their critically acclaimed "Led Zeppelin IV," shows such an impeccable improvement in Zep's sound that it almost sounds like another band. They were still that rough blues rock band, but with more heart, and incorporating many more musical influences into their sound. And with 1975's "Physical Graffiti," they take it even a step further, and the result is so magnificent that it is undoubtedly one of the most experimental and pleasing albums in the entire rock genre. // 10

Lyrics: Though some of the songs date back as far as Zep II, the lyrics are so much more complex and mature than any of the band's earlier attempts. Even though it was still mostly Plant and Page who wrote the songs, you can really tell that they started reaching out and trying different things. Though Zeppelin have never really been credited with the greatest lyrics ever, there's still something special about them in Physical Graffiti's case that makes it so enjoyable. // 10

Overall Impression: The sheer broadness of the album itself is what makes it so appealing. No matter what kind of rock you are a fan of, you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy this album. Ranging from classic Zep-sounding songs (some were written during 1969's recording sessions for Led Zeppelin II) to retrospective compilations to monumental epics, this album has something for everybody. A 15-track 2-disc album, "Physical Graffiti" is a true Led Zeppelin masterpiece, achieving more musical maturity than they had anywhere up to that point, and anything that they tried to do since. In 1998 Q magazine readers voted it the 28th greatest album of all time, and it also hit the #1 spot on the U. S. Billboard charts. If you thought you were a fan of Zeppelin now and haven't heard this album yet, my suggestion would be to go out and buy it immediately. I can 100% guarantee you that you won't regret it. It's Zeppelin's best, and the only Zep album worthy of a full 10/10. // 10

Physical Graffiti Reviewed by: ElThomas, on july 21, 2006

Sound: The only problem with this album is the drumming on Kashmir. It's a wonderful song but the drum part is too simple. The rest of the album was great. It has hits like Trampled Under Foot, House Of The Holy, In The Light, Ten Years Gone, etc. Jimmy Page used sheer musical genius for the songs and Robert Plant's voice had matured by this point. The sound is amazing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of most of the songs are pretty good. Let none who hear this album forget the line "Are you dizzy when you're stoned?" from Houses Of The Holy. The words to Black Country Woman are a little unimpressive, though. They sounds like something from an early Stones album and they aren't very original. Robert Plant will blow you away. // 8

Overall Impression: I personally love this album. I think it wasn't as crucial to Zep as III but it still kept their career around while they were releasing bombs like Presence and Coda. I think that most of the songs are powerful and true to the spirit of rock. Always have a backup copy of this for if it gets lost or damaged. The worst part about this album is the price. It's two discs, so people with not much money (like me) have trouble affording it. // 9

More Led Zeppelin reviews rating latest review