Remasters Review

artist: led zeppelin date: 02/14/2007 category: compact discs
led zeppelin: Remasters
Released: Feb 21, 1992
Genre: Rock
Styles: Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Arena Rock, British Metal, British Blues, Album Rock
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.3
 9.2
 9.4
Remasters Reviewed by: BLACKRAVEN, on september 07, 2005

Sound: Perhaps the best known Led Zep album and to me personally the most influencial. This incredible EP contains 3 masterworks of 1 of the all time great bands. Tracks "Rock 'N' Roll," "Black Dog" and ofcourse the incredible "Stairway To Heaven" contain punchy riffs and epic solos from Jimmy Page, as well as the full vocal range from Robert Plant. This was a great band at a gripping point of their carear. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on most of the songs are incredible, one listen to Stairway To Heaven will prove the Page/Plant combination was in full swing by this time. Though some of the songs could have done with a bit more thought to the meanings, e.g. Four Sticks you are never quite shure about the pint of it. But then again this is balenced against tracks like Rock 'N' Roll which are in their own right amazing songs. Also the re-mastering keeps the personality of the tracks and the classic almost live recorded Led Zep sound. // 8

Overall Impression: For me this is one of the best Led Zep albums ever. It contains in my opinion the best rock ballad ever written in "Stairway To Heaven." The best songs I have named already in "Black Dog," "Rock 'N' Roll" and Stairway. the thing I really love about this is the chemistry of Page and Plant for me that is something lacking in so many bands at the moment, the lyrics and the guitars compliment each other perfectly, and as will all of Page's work the solos are incredible. I think this is a must own album for any Led Zep fan and for anyone who likes real music. // 8

Remasters Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2007

Sound: This album is all you need to convert a non-believer. I found this record at the back of the cupboard when I was thirteen and it blew my mind. The two discs are far and away my most listened CDs. the Remasters has songs from every Led Zeppelin studio album (Led Zeppelin I, II, III and IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti and Presence). Because the album covers material spanning ten years, there is a wide variety of styles, as you would expect from Zeppelin. It ranges from the wierd prelude to metal ('Immigrant Song') to the surreal but superb sounds of 'No Quarter'. In general the album sounds fantastic, the only niggles are Plants' vocals in 'Nobody's Fault but Mine' and a strange lapse in Pages' soloing during 'Heartbreaker'. Due to the wide variety of styles, it is not likely that anyone will like everything. The weaker second disc features 'All my Love' (Plants' tribute to his son) which has a few good lyrics but apart from that is a bit boring. 'Trampled Under Foot' starts of with an exciting funk riff but doesn't really amount to anyhing and gets very repetitive. These are the only songs over both disc that I don't like. the other 24 songs are an amazing collection of classic rock, blues-rock, rock and roll, metal, epic acoustics and a genre that can only be called Led Zepellin. Jimmy Page proves himself to be the best guitarist ever (probably) with his charged riffs and inspriring solos. he provides an enourmous variety of sounds and anyone learning the guitar should buy this album just for that. His most prominent contribution is the eternal 'Stairway to Heaven', the solo (Constantly voted he best ever)can be appreciated by anyone, regardless of musical tastes (trust me on this; I experimented). John Bonham is an inspiration, his obvious energy on the drums combined with his enourmous talent add an extra layer to every verse, chorus and bridge. In particular his intro to 'Rock n Roll' gets you on your feet jerking about like a puppet before the song even gets under way. John Paul Jones (who never gets enough recognition) can play pretty much any insrument and his keybaord/piano skills on 'No Quarter' and bass on 'Dazed and Confused' turn an album of depth into an ocean. Robert Plants is, at times, the perfect voacalist. The mans thraot is as much an instrument as Jimmys' guitar! In particular on 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Ramble On'. The variety of sounds and styles on these two discs is alarming. However it all sounds like Led Zeppelin and so I defy anyone who listens to rock not to worship at least the first disc. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically Led Zeppelin were not the best. Often their lyrics descend into mythology which, though iconic, can be a bit tedious. Also in find the references to J.R.R. Tolkiens 'The Lord of the Rings'lame. However the lyrics do compliment the music very well in most cases. On 'All My Love' Plant sings about chasing a feather in the wind, I think that this is one of the best lines on either disc. As this song is about plants dead son, the peotic imagry is beautiful (Plants symbol on the fourth album was a feather). Other lyrical strong points include 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Immigrant Song'. What more needs to be said about a song that debuted the term 'Rock God! Plant makes up for the low level of writing skill with the most mind-blowing singing you could ever hear. The number of artists that has been very obviouly influenced by him is astounding (Axl Rose, Jack White etc) and that alone is testament to his skill. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is essential listening for anyone who plays guitar, bass, drums or sings. Led Zeppelin were probably the most influential rock band of all time. It is easy to find traces of their music in bands ranging form Iron Maiden ('Achilles Last Stand') to Franz Ferdinand ('Trampled Underfoot'. Obviouly the best track is stairway, but songs like 'Achilles Last Stand', 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' and 'Dazed and Confused' stand out. Average songs on this album are, still worth lisening to, unless you are already a Led Zep fan, some of the songs will prove to be hard going but if you stick at it, you'll discover a world of talent. Led Zeppelin remasters leaves almost any other compilation trampled underfoot! Go forth and buy, buy, buy! // 10

Remasters Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 02, 2003

Sound: The sound is pretty varied, from the rock-cum-reggae "D'yer Maker" to the old school rock of Commumication Breakdown. The actual tones of guitars are pretty well mixed, my favourite being the riff in No Quarter, with a nice fuzz to it. There isn't much you won't have heard before though, if you are a fan. However all the tracks have been digitally remastered by Page, so they are all sounding a lot better than I remembered them. // 8

Lyrics: Again, nothing you've not heard before if you're not a fan. I'll comment on the excellent lyrics in The Battle of Evermore, one of the more 'Tolkienesque' songs in the complimation. Basically as good as ever. // 8

Overall Impression: I thought the mix of tracks was excellent, it really shows the bands talents of well, and there is a lot of music on it - two CDs, with 26 tracks. It is really impressive how many good songs are on here, and I guarantee you will love at least one track, and like the rest. The only problem is having to change CDs if you want to listen to Whole Lotta Love and then Kashmir...dreadful. The only fault with the album I could find. So buy it, now! // 10

Remasters Reviewed by: wholelottaled, on april 22, 2004

Sound: I love this album being one of the first I owned from the best band in the world. The music's sound blew me away. I never knew what great talent The almighty Zeppelin possesed. So I'm quite fond of this cd and the instruments are roaring I love it. // 10

Lyrics: Ohh goodness who can resist Robert Plants voice I know I can't its inspiring beautiful enchantine everything all at the same time and the words there all so great. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd was sooo worth buying if I'd lost I think I'd cry and then I'd go out and but it again. It's a mixture of great songs on the first disc. I give this a great collection of songs especially in the 1st disc. And in the 2nd disc some of their more slower songs which theyre all great. I recommend this cd who likes led zeppelin and doesnt own one of their cd's it has some of the greatest I think it's missing the ocean thought. But still it's a really great cd!!! // 10

Remasters Reviewed by: Crimsonashes, on december 04, 2006

Sound: Everyone who knows Led Zeppelin will enjoy the sound here. It is a discography that spans their whole career. I purchased this CD because I wanted to properly acquaint myself with Led Zeppelin. Many older people told me about how good they were, and yes I had heard Stairway to Heaven, however it wasn't good enough. The sound is excellent. Every song that you ever need to hear by them is included. Anything on the radio will be on this Remasters CD. Also, it is a very good CD to start off a Led Zeppelin collection. Be advised tho Led Zeppelin songs can be long. Stairway To Heaven is 8:00 minutes long, so if you aren't into prolonged musical genius, do not buy this CD. Jimmy Page is famous because of the miracles he worked on the guitar. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are classic of Led Zeppelin. They range from the sad to the nonsensical to the happy and everything in between. Everyone knows how moving songs like Stairway to Heaven, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and Dazed and Confused are. The lyrics fit. Singer skills are through the roof. He's great! // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that this album is definely worth the buy. It may vary in price, however anyone interested in a introduction album to Led Zeppelin, should consider this album. I love the amount of songs that are on this 2-Disc set. I also enjoy the fact that they didn't leave out anything. If it were lost I'd definely purchase it again. The most impressive songs are: Stairway to Heaven, Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You, Dazed and Confused, Black Dog, Ramble On, and Rock And Roll. // 9

More Led Zeppelin reviews rating latest review