Guitarded Review

Leslie West: Guitarded
Release Date: Jan 4, 2005
Label: Voiceprint
Genres: Hard Rock
It has its moments, but overall, Guitarded will be of interest only to Leslie West fanatics.
 4.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Guitarded Reviewed by: Brandon860, on november 27, 2006

Sound: This album is nothing but a solid 66:36 blues and rock adrenaline ride. Mountain's Leslie West really shines on this solo album as his guitar riffs either rip into you with force or soothe the soul. The sound is extremely crisp and will be welcomed not only by the large and dedicated Mountain fan base but also fans of well crafted and more importantly fans of well-played guitar led music. The album features some of Mountain's classics, covers of other bands and excellent new tunes. West also collaborates with other great artist on this album as it features former Rainbow vocalist Joe Lynn Turner, Ten Years After bassist Leo Lyonsep, Aynsley Dunbar, Ian Gillan (Deep Purple), Gregg Allman (Allman Brothers), Poppa Chubby, and former Uriah Heep, Colosseum and one time Mountain Bassist Mark Clarke. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are mostly typical blues and West's delivery of them is amazing. He has the type of voice that cariies and you can feel the emotion both through is voice and his hands on the fret board. The songs are mostly about broken hearts, hard times, and trouble making women. Two songs that standout the most though are The Cell (with Joe Lynn Turner on vocals) a tale of a prisoned man who has become merely a number, and a song that should have been a single, If Heartaches Were Nickels(feat. Greg Allman). The songs chorus sums it up to a T: "If Heartaches were nickels I'd be the richest fool alive". // 9

Overall Impression: Any fan of Mountain or blues rock in general will love this album. One of the things that one me over the most is the live recording of Theme From An Imaginary Western from the Night Of The Guitar tour at the end of the eighties. The album is a pretty solid line up. The only song from that list that doesn't quite make the cut would be the cover of Steppenwolf's "Born To Be Wild", which in my opinion is pretty terrible. Overall, I'd say it's an amazing album and I would suggest checking it out, although for some that may be a problem. From what I undersatnd it was only released in the UK and as I am from Canada, I had to have it specially ordered and it took about a month to receive. Goodluck getting it. // 10

More Leslie West reviews rating latest review