Broken Valley Review

Released: Jun 14, 2005
Label: Epic
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal
They've made a nuanced, well-balanced record that means something in relation to contemporary metal, a genre with issues to say the least.
 9.8
 9.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Broken Valley Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2005

Sound: I was more then thrilled when I discovered that Life Of Agony had reunited with original vocalist Keith Caputo in 2003, in fact I was downright giddy. Although it seemed the band had reunited for a few shows in their home-state and a live DVD, I was hoping for a new record, and in 2005 we got it. "Broken Valley" is an incredible album from start to finish. The thing that's always stood out in LOA's music for me is Keith's amazing vocals, but that's not to stay that the entire band is just average. The amazing chemistry between the band is obvious on this record. Still blending New York hardcore, heavy metal, and rock 'n' roll, Life Of Agony has made a masterpiece. // 10

Lyrics: Keith Caputo. Period. This man's incredibly personal and heartfelt lyrics grab you be the lump in your throat. Caputo delivery of these amazing lyrics makes them that much more effective. Keith is the definition of an unlimited vocalist. Songs like 'Justified' will bring you to your knees, while songs like 'Don't Bother' could make you bang your head until your neck is sore. Caputo vocal range knows no boundaries. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very different album compared to Life Of Agony's past releases. It may not be quite as heavy as some of the earlier albums, but in my honest opinion, Life Of Agony has combined all of their amazing talent and pumped into this record to make the best record possible. I've always connected with the band and was amazed by how much deeper this connection has become with this album. I highly recommend you buy this album, even if you haven't heard Life Of Agony before. // 10

Comments